Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBTB? IT's time this WCO is dropped?

For crying out loud we play half are games in a dome,
    Someone needs to give these rookie coache's a reality check.
    None of the recievers are WCO types except for Ruvell Martin.
    We have a running back good enough to where the other teams
    crowd the line.
    Bring Back the Bomb, or some deeper throws atleast.
    I think thats the best chance to get these recievers some space, none of the recievers are great routerunners, so heres hoping they get a bit more freedom
    and stretch the field some more?:|

Re: BBTB? IT's time this WCO is dropped?

Donnie Avery reminds me alot of Devery Henderson. They are both Speedsters who don't have the best hands, but they are at their best when you are throwing them the ball down field and stretching the field. Their hands will be inconsistent on short slants and things like that but throw them that deep bomb and they will make plays. They are guys who could easily average 20 ypc if they are used right.

Comment

Is the sky falling? We've had four games of the WCO with no reasonable QB performance, a young receiver corps, and a mediocre performance by our offensive line. Its not clear to me how the blame lays on the offensive scheme, rather than the lack of talent. Should we take a couple of shots down field once in a while? Sure. But scrap the offense? Panic much?

Comment

Our WRs werent great at route running as a whole til they got Favre, alot dpends on the QB, now Favre has them running for spots knowing the ball will be there as long as they find a tiny bit of space. Its been awhile since ive seen WRs run routes this way, since at least Cris Carter left. Point being, we run WCO too. Takes awhile to get WRs disciplined for it.

Comment

I don't want to drop our WCO yet, but we do need to throw the ball more down field.

Comment

Originally posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
            For crying out loud we play half are games Bring Back the Bomb, or some deeper throws atleast.
            I think thats the best chance to get these recievers some space, none of the recievers are great routerunners, so heres hoping they get a bit more freedom
            and stretch the field some more?:|
            Just what we need are some more 7 step drops .. We are having enough problems protecting our QB with 3 step drops .. Let's give our new offense a chance. We've got alot of very young players with scant NFL experience trying to adjust to the speed of NFL play. We also have a young first time offensive coordinator who's learninig on the fly. Injuries to our wideouts and O-line haven't helped speed the process either. Any way you slice it, our current group of young players and new offensive scheme will require time and patience to develop. Are you familiar with the term: "growing pains"?

Comment

Anyone for the run and shoot?;)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by makersncoke View Post
                Anyone for the run and shoot?;)
                I thought it was more like shoot I better run. Marc Bulger, Kyle Boller.
                sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                  Help me I've fallen and I can't get up!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                    Or, more accurately, the chuck and duck.

Comment

Between Boller's inherent inaccuracy and Avery's hands, I can only assume the Rams coaching staff figures they have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than witnessing a long completion, and play call accordingly.

Comment

I'm not sure whether or not the WCO is the way to go, but I do know that it is wwwwaaaayyyyy too early to be thinking about ditching the offense. Injuries to receivers and less than stellar line play have made the job of the QB nearly impossible and in turn, the offense hasn't been running like it should.

Comment

Run n shoot, flea flicker, sling n run, double-reverse,no-huddle,hurry-up huddle,wild-kitten, shoot-to kill, whatever, this team needs to open it up and try something, NOW!!! For Rams-sake we are a bottom dweller 0-4 team with nothing to lose!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blood85 View Post
                            Run n shoot, flea flicker, sling n run, double-reverse,no-huddle,hurry-up huddle,wild-kitten, shoot-to kill, whatever, this team needs to open it up and try something, NOW!!! For Rams-sake we are a bottom dweller 0-4 team with nothing to lose!!!
                            If we had receivers I might agree with you. While freak chance beats no chance, running Jackson is our freak chance, and airing it out is our no chance.

Comment

we just aired it out to donnie avery for a touchdown. We need more bombs in our offense. chicks dig the long ball. Avery looked a lot better today though with the shorter routes.

the offense looked balanced marching down the field.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• marcus1111
                                maybe i'm blowing smoke
                                by marcus1111
                                I have been reading in both this and the post dispatch forums about our need to get a seasoned high quality wr to replace avery... and to some extent not against bringing in a quality player ... but at what expense.

after the pats game... everyone raved about bradfords game... rightfully so.. but when I casually looked over the game stats (did not watch game) and compared them to the first two games of this yrs preseason... right along with sam b's numbers improving dramatically so did the receivers... which makes sense... example gilyard's numbers went from 0-3 and no yds to 3 catches and around 10+yds a catch... one could say this for many of the receivers over the past 3 games... along with quality play of the offensive line.. passing in the nfl is one of timing and running predetermined routes for a successful passing game...which takes some time to develop between receivers and qb... and in my opinion this is evolving with the current qb and receivers.

I believe the coach... being fairly experienced and observant of the development and chemistry of situations such as this is not concerned about the supposedly huge hole left by avery... in my opinion he is looking at both short term and long term goals... what level of players does he have right now... and with some game experience at what level will they be 6 games from now or next season... again in my opinion... foresees the current talent developing alongside each other as they gain experience by more snaps and playing time... like a very good offensive line .. qb and receivers is much more than just a quality qb... it is about the little things that can only be learned through numerous repetitions and communications.

as it stands after very poor seasons ...the rams have everything to gain by developing their 'skill' players... vs maybe winning a few more games this year and then watching several of the key players on single year contracts brought in leave for another team while potential high quality players such as rookies have lost another year in game experience.
                                -08-28-2010, 06:34 AM
                              • chiguy
                                Most disappointing unit?
                                by chiguy
                                I've been a Sam supporter since he was drafted, but even I'm starting to have doubts that he can be the QB we want. But if we're talking about team performance, I still don't see how he can be seen as the "problem." This made me think about the following question -- which are the units that are not progressing/playing well, as that is probably where the "problems" are. My shot at listing them is below:

1. Offensive line. The most experienced group on the roster and one of the most highly paid. But there is no push in the running game and save the first two games, they haven't done much in pass protection either. JLong looked terrible last game...like REALLY terrible.

2. Linebackers. This was tough for me as WRs and CBs haven't performed up to snuff, but this group isn't getting the job done in the run or pass game. The d-line seems like they're doing what they're supposed to, but the LBs overrun the play and are susceptible to the cut-back. They don't shed tacklers. And, the coverage has been mediocre. JL hasn't looked good until the ***** game; Alex has been a bright spot, though he makes some rookie mistakes.

3. Running backs. Do we have any, or they victim of play calling and woeful blocking? I'm going with "all of the above."

4. Coaches. The unwillingness to adjust in game is perplexing. And at point are we going to emphasize 1) not running out of the end zone on kickoffs and 2) proper blocking. Seriously, the refs are not getting it wrong; we are. And why are our corners playing so soft? And so.

5. Special teams. K/P are fine. I'm sure everyone else is tired of starting drives behind the 10 yard line.

6. Secondary. Jenkins has been decent and so has Johnson. Everyone else? Meh. TJ and McCleod brings some wallop, but they also have issues with positioning. And Finnegan? He's been just terrible. And that was being generous.

7. WRs/TEs. There are good moments, but not enough. Given the youth of the unit, its somewhat understandable. But there are too many drops and an inability to get free.

8. Quarterback. He was fine the first two weeks, mediocre the third, and awful in the fourth. Most importantly, he's starting to look like he's losing confidence. Think Bugler at the end...its starting to look like that to me. Starting to.

9. Defensive line. We need more push, but they aren't the problem per se.
                                -09-29-2013, 07:41 AM
                              • jjigga3000
                                The Way I see It..........
                                by jjigga3000
                                As fans we have a lot of emotion invested in this team we root for. Some of us have been fans for quite awhile, way before it was popular to be a fan of the Rams, some of us have been fans since there days in L.A.. So it's very difficult to watch the product and root for what we have on the field. A bunch of new up and coming stars (WE HOPE).

We ask ourselves, or blame what we think the problem maybe, is it the lack of receivers, the poor offensive line play, the defense, poor play at qb. Well the way I see it, all them have show flashes of light, so I don't think the problem is there. It all starts in the coaching, no the coach doesn't play but he's responsible for keeping the team disciplined. But I think there's a method to Spags mojo. He's trying to get this team to play as team, and loose as a team, because then they can win as a team. Sort of like a product of the team we all love to hate, the Pats. We saw last year an average qb win 11 games, because they buy into a selfless team system.

The one problem I do however see is the offensive playcalling. It's very bad, with no chances taken downfield. Too many draw plays on 2 and long. Let these guys put the ears back and play, start passing the ball 10-15 yards, instead 5-7. Take some throws down the field to let a team know you will. They've gotta do this to keep the defenses honest and open up some room for Stevens running game, cause all we see at this point is a lot of stacking the defensive line. We don't see any adjustments at the offensive line, when you know their coming with the blitz. The way I see it Shurmur is not the guy for the job. But I'll still watch the games and take the punishment along with everyone else. LOL
                                -10-06-2009, 08:39 AM
                              • Guam rammer
                                Passing game
                                by Guam rammer
                                Just too many defenders in the backfield disrupting almost every passing play. How can our receivers make catches when they can't even begin their routes? How can Bulger or Green make accurate throws when they can't even plant their feet?. If our QB isnt getting sacked, he's being chased or has a hand in his face. Every team will put up impressive defensive stats against us. There's really no magic play or secret blitz package that need to be drawn up to play us, and its frustrating to watch us go down the tubes this way. Really, i hope that our offseason produces some good young O-linemen. Not decent!!!...GOOD!!! Good enough to make all of our current starters backups to backups. Dress all of our practice team linemen, i'm sure they wanna play.
                                -11-24-2008, 02:02 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Memo To the St. Louis Rams: How Enemy DCs Will Destroy Your WCO In 2010
                                by MauiRam
                                By David Leon

The West Coast Offense is not my favorite offensive scheme, not by a long shot. I greatly prefer the Gilman-Coryell-Martz approach. I would also prefer the Spread, and the K-Gun, two very similar offenses. The WCO would rank just above the Erhardt-Perkins and Lombardi-Shula schemes. That's pretty low on my list of favorites.

So why do I dislike the WCO? It's pretty easy to beat these days, that's why. Nobody plays it in the pure form that Walsh did back in 1981. The reason is simple: They can't. The pure system doesn't really work anymore. Let me give you a little history lesson about it.

Back in the year 1981, everyone was deathly afraid of the bomb. Not the atomic bomb, the long pass. The 1978 rule changes had been in effect for three full years prior to the 49er eruption.

Teams like the Steelers and Raiders had used the bomb with devastating effect on route to Super Bowl championships. The Cowboys were playing bombs-away also. Even the Rams, with Vince Ferragamo, were throwing the football deep.

In those days, most defenses would concede a four yard pass and think nothing of it. They would not contest those short routes much at all.

If you added some sophistication to your short passing game, running combination routes to produce rub-offs and so forth, you could really move the chains. You could sustain a drive for 9-12 plays, keep your defense off the field, build your QB's passer rating, and score touchdowns.

Bill Walsh knew and understood this. He organized his entire offense around the precept that defensive coordinators would give him his short yardage, practically for free. This was especially true in the final two minutes of the game when everybody (and I mean everybody) played the prevent defense.

The 49er offense was revolutionary for the time. Frankly, I always knew it could be stopped. I used to chastise our Ram defensive coordinators, like Fritz Shurmur, for ordering our corners to cover the 49er WRs as they ran endlessly down the field on eight and nine routes to no avail. Joe would seldom throw the football deep. Truth be told, he had a 40 yard arm. He couldn't fling it that deep with any consistency of accuracy.

Well, it took awhile, but a defensive coordinator arose who had the nuts to play a realistic defense against the WCO. I regret to say this, but the man's name is Bill Belichick. At the time, he was the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants under Bill Parcells.

If you will check the historical record, you will find the New York Giants were the team that most consistently vexed the 49er dynasty. They laid a devastating 49-3 route on ***** on route to their first Super Bowl victory in 1986-87.

Jim Burk sent Joe Montana out on a stretcher in that game. They terminated the ***** shot at a three-pete in 1990-91....
                                -05-14-2010, 08:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X