• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Not Clamoring To Escape Losing Rams

Jackson not clamoring to escape losing Rams

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
    4 hours, 44 minutes ago

He plays on a blatantly rebuilding team which has lost 15 consecutive games, and he’s a 26-year-old running back on pace for a 1,443-yard season.

Steven Jackson can do the grisly math, and that’s why he wasn’t especially caught off guard Thursday night when I asked him if he thought the St. Louis Rams might deal him to another team before Tuesday’s NFL trading deadline – which, incidentally, is the one-year anniversary of their last victory.

”It really wouldn’t surprise me,” Jackson said. ”A couple of years ago I saw Isaac Bruce(notes) get let go and end up on the *****, and I realized anything is possible in this business. So I just put my head down and play hard and try to win games for the St. Louis Rams – and I want to be a St. Louis Ram for as long as they’ll have me.

”At the same time, I’m very aware of the business side of this game. Last year, I went through a holdout, so I learned all about the business side first-hand. If I get that phone call that I’ve been shipped out, I’ll roll with it. But I’ve laid a lot of groundwork here and I think we’re turning it around, and I’d like to reap the benefits when we do.”

In previous years, the notion of a team dumping a high-priced, consistently productive star like Jackson in October would have been almost inconceivable. I still think such a move would be a longshot, but it’s at least in the realm of possibility, because NFL teams are more receptive to in-season wheeling and dealing than they’ve been in the past.

Chalk it up to a combination of desperation (teams like the Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, New York Jets and San Diego Chargers are either in win-now mode or run by general managers and/or coaches desperate to save their jobs), opportunity (there’s an inordinate number of truly awful teams with no realistic hope of contending this year) and economics (with an uncapped year looming, and a potential lockout after that, teams can take more chances than usual in terms of salary structure). Oh, and the 2010 NFL draft crop is being billed as a strong one, which makes those picks more valuable.

Even general managers skeptical of parting with those precious picks had to have their appetites whetted by last week’s trade between the Cleveland Browns and Jets that brought talented, 26-year-old wideout Braylon Edwards(notes) to the Big Apple. After more than a year’s worth of substandard performances, Edwards delivered in his first game with the Jets (who sent two players and a pair of draft picks, reportedly in the third and fifth rounds, to Cleveland). He caught five passes for 64 yards and a touchdown and made plays which set up two more scores in a Monday night defeat to the Miami Dolphins.

Suddenly, the Jets have the potential big-time receiver they’d been lacking and harbor visions of competing for an AFC title, while the 1-4 Browns are better positioned to retool for next season. It’s all very baseball-esque: A team that has given up on its season unloads an established veteran to a contender in exchange for prospects (often, in this case, of the undrafted variety).

However, this being the NFL, there are some mitigating factors. First, the deadline occurs so early in the season that, under normal conditions, teams rarely are ready to abandon hope. In 2009, though, there are plenty of woebegone losers (like the Rams) that absolutely should. Secondly, as last year’s Dolphins reminded us, swift and dramatic turnarounds are entirely possible in this era, so getting rid of an all-purpose stud like Jackson could come back to burn the franchise if the team’s fortunes change in a hurry.

Jackson, who’s fourth in the NFL with 451 rushing yards despite playing for the league’s 28th-ranked offense, is understandably frustrated. But he’s also convinced that first-year coach Steve Spagnuolo is in the process of building a winner.

”I’ve really bought into the direction of this team,” Jackson said. ”For guys to want to follow a leader, you have to give them a vision – you have to show them the way. I believe Coach Spags has that GPS for a winning franchise.”

Jackson isn’t basing his faith in Spagnoulo on the first-year coach’s prior success as the New York Giants’ defensive coordinator, saying, ”I’ve played for a lot of coaches here, and they all had impressive track records – so no, that alone isn’t reason to buy in. But I see a team that’s learning how to be disciplined and mentally sharp, and although we’re not scoring, this team is actually a better team than we’ve had for the last couple of seasons.

”It’s kind of like when you clean your closet out. You’ve got to make a bigger mess before you get organized. That’s what we’re going through right now.”

The problem is that, as Spagnuolo tidies up, Jackson is getting pummeled. Last week, in the midst of a 38-10 beat down by the Vikings, the halfback actually provoked sympathy from his opponents. ”I was down,” he recalled, ”and some Vikings came over and picked me up off the ground. They were like, ‘Are you OK, man?’ Like they felt bad for me. Talk about a low point.”

As he forges ahead toward his fifth consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season, Jackson envisions the bright future that he believes awaits the struggling Rams.

”When we turn it around, man, it’ll be so great,” he said. ”I just hope I’m not washed up when it happens.”

Re: Jackson Not Clamoring To Escape Losing Rams

Jackson has had a tendency to run his mouth in the past, and I think a lot of people have (myself included) have tried to decipher whether it was because he had a little bit of a prima donna attitude or because he is just so passionate that he speaks his mind when it's not necessarily PC to do so.

I think his attitude this season especially should clear it up for anybody in doubt - this guy plays his heart out and when he speaks out it's because he's dedicated to this team, not to himself. It would be so easy for this guy to cry and whine about the support he hasn't gotten - even "classy" players like Holt started whining a lot when we started losing. I think the fact that we flat out suck right now and he still says in no uncertain terms that he wants to be a Ram is really telling.

Kudos to him being one of the leaders that we need right now.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -10-16-2009, 01:09 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit submit half-way through

Comment

I've always enjoyed reading what Jackson has to say. He's not going to sugar coat it, or be PC about it, but he's not going to embarrass his team or coaching staff either.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Jackson
        I believe Coach Spags has that GPS for a winning franchise
        A response for the digital age.

I've never had a real problem with what Jackson says, and I certainly can't complain about anything he's said here. In fact, this is pretty much spot on IMO:

Originally posted by Steven Jackson
        ”It’s kind of like when you clean your closet out. You’ve got to make a bigger mess before you get organized. That’s what we’re going through right now.”

Comment

Spagnolo has said from the very beginning that he wanted to develop a strong running attack utilizing Steven Jackson. The possibility that Jackson might be traded seems extremely remote. If Jackson were 29, maybe a case could be made .. He isn't .. He's just entering his prime. It looks as if we'll be drafting very high (top five) next year. We'll have a good shot at landing 2 or 3 impact players, plus whatever we can scoop in free agency in 2010. Jackson will still be around to tell Spags who to draft then, after all, he lobbied heavily for Jason Smith in the 09 draft with solid results ...

Comment

maybe Steven is growing up and he understands now that he is the leader of this team and knows that when this does turn around he will become an even bigger star,he's doing pretty good already.

Comment

It would have to be a Herschel Walker style to get Jackson from us, and i think we would need multiple first round picks. Anything less isnt enough.
              @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
                Spagnolo has said from the very beginning that he wanted to develop a strong running attack utilizing Steven Jackson. The possibility that Jackson might be traded seems extremely remote. If Jackson were 29, maybe a case could be made .. He isn't .. He's just entering his prime. It looks as if we'll be drafting very high (top five) next year. We'll have a good shot at landing 2 or 3 impact players, plus whatever we can scoop in free agency in 2010. Jackson will still be around to tell Spags who to draft then, after all, he lobbied heavily for Jason Smith in the 09 draft with solid results ...
                That is the way I see it to, he needs a SJ type back if he did not have SJ he would be looking for someone like him.
                :ramlogo:

Comment

This better not happen. How much of a cap hit would we take? Also no less than two first round choices next year for this guy. Then how do we sign 3 first round draft choices when we are already hamstrung as it is? This team has a chance to improve by next year, why would we trade the only real star on this team only to have to draft another one next year. I could understand if we had some younger up and coming running back but we dont. Also Jackson is only 26 and should have quite a few good years left in him.
                  Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

Word is that he's being shopped around, not sure who is interested other than several AFC teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post
                      Word is that he's being shopped around, not sure who is interested other than several AFC teams.
                      Really? Whose word? Speculation is all I've heard .. Can you elaborate ??

Comment

This trading Jackson talk makes me sick, this guy works his arse off in a very tough situation, yet people still *****. Its crap like this which could tell Jackson is it worth
                        being here ?
                        Imagine Jackson playing for any of the contenders- he would be killing teams.
                        BE careful what you wish for??

Comment

It sucks to say, but it is the right thing to do. Trade him while he still has
                          value. If we trade him 2 years from now he will be worth maybe a 4th round
                          pick and we will still be a 8n8 team. "WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE RAMS":helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                            Jackson Carries Rams Into the Light ..
                            by MauiRam
                            By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
                            Posted 2 hours ago

It is said that out of darkness will emerge light. How quickly that light emerges depends on whether you move with confidence or tiptoe through the shadows.

Steven Jackson has never tiptoed through anything in his life. And though it’s taken longer than he would have liked, the eighth-year running back is on the verge of delivering the Rams out of the darkness and into the light.

It’s a task that many would choose not to take on for enduring the pain that goes with it would be too much for just about anyone to bear.

Jackson has been called many things in his career but there’s one common nickname he’s been called that he never quite grasped until he took the time during the offseason to wrap his head around it.

“It’s funny I have been referred to as a beast for quite some time and I said, ‘You know, I am going to look it up. What does the word beast mean?’” Jackson said. “And to give you a quick synopsis of how I look at it and how I thought of it is ‘a mammal that bears the weight of something and transports it.’ I feel like I have been a beast because I bear the weight of some tough times around St. Louis and I have carried it from the days of glory to now hopefully to a new age and a new version of the days of glory. And I have been the particular, chosen one to feel like maybe he’s the one strong enough to bring us through the darkness back to a point where (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) and these younger guys will bring us back to glory.”

Bearing the weight of an entire franchise’s struggle is a burden Jackson has carried for all of his seven seasons in the NFL. On closer inspection, it’s clear that Jackson’s sacrifice has gone well beyond simply being a part of a losing team.

In fact, he’s one of the last of his kind in the NFL, a running back willing and capable of taking on a full load in a league that grown more specialized by the season.

The job of the single running back carrying the load is one thing; the job of the single player carrying the hopes of a franchise on his back is another. Jackson has done both.

It’s a job Jackson believes he was chosen for, a job he was selected for by powers greater than a general manager or head coach.

“I think it’s a divine job not for the organization but for me, myself because I never knew some of the strong characteristics and the things that I believe in were within me until I had to go through some tough times,” Jackson said.

A DYING BREED

With each passing NFL season, the league evolves and changes in ways that consistently alter the way players and positions are perceived.

Today, in 2011, the NFL is almost universally viewed as a quarterback’s league, a passing league in which running backs can be found and deployed in a variety of ways and you can...
                            -09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
                          • r8rh8rmike
                            Jackson Energized By Adventurous Offseason
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Jackson Energized by Adventurous Offseason
                            Tuesday, September 7, 2010

By Nick Wagoner
                            Senior Writer

Lying on an operating table following back surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back in early April, Steven Jackson couldn’t help but let his mind drift to the idea of football mortality.

In his six years in the NFL, Jackson had never suffered an injury serious enough that he had to undergo offseason surgery let alone feel any pain of any kind that extended beyond a normal three to four week rest period in January.

But for the first time, Jackson was going to have an offseason quite different from any of his previous ones.

It was then and there that Jackson decided to cut it loose and take a different approach to how he’d spend his summer vacation.

“I had uncertainty in my health for the majority of the offseason and was not really enjoying myself,” Jackson said. “It allowed me to really think about the NFL and sometimes you think you can play this game forever. It was a reality check, one that I was probably taking for granted because I have always been healthy for the most part. This time I had to rehab, go through the operation. I was constantly working and not enjoying myself in my down time. Once the back was feeling good and I was feeling physically fit, I wanted to take advantage of my opportunities to enjoy myself.”

OUTSIDE THE LINES

Each offseason, Jackson makes it a point to try to see at least one new country, if not more. Long before the surgery, Jackson had already planned to venture to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup.

In addition to South Africa, he’d also planned to make stops in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. Along the way, Jackson initially figured he’d see the historical sites, tour the land and sample the local food.

At some point during the back issues, Jackson morphed into the Vinnie Chase character from Entourage who used a back injury of his own to develop a desire for thrill seeking adventures.

So Jackson called his travel agent and added shark diving, three safaris and sand dune hikes to his itinerary.

“I just kind of wanted to go into overcoming fears and living outside the lines and boundaries,” Jackson said. “You hear people all the time say that your mind traps you in fear. I kind of tried to step outside of myself and mimic somewhat of a daredevil. This year, I told my travel agent ‘let’s walk on the wild side a little bit.’”

Of all of the heart pounding exploits on his trip, it was the first one that really set the tone.

On his first day in Cape Town, Jackson hopped on a boat and was ferried to an area known as Seal Island, where great white sharks are known to congregate in large groups.

After a bit of trepidation, Jackson climbed into a cage, was hooked up to an...
                            -09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
                          • r8rh8rmike
                            Learning To Lead: The Evolution Of Steven Jackson
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Learning to Lead: The Evolution of Steven Jackson
                            Wednesday, October 7, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                            Senior Writer

“Our response to an offense determines our future.” – Author John Bevere, “The Bait of Satan.”

Right there in black and white for his eyes to see, Steven Jackson constantly goes back to this book. It’s one of his favorites though if you ask him to name them it might take a while because he’s constantly diving into a new one.

On the surface, passages like the one above might seem simple. Then again, on the surface, a person might be viewed the same way.

What you don’t know is how complicated something or someone can be when you dig a littler deeper. In the case of Steven Jackson, a little closer look can reveal something you never would have guessed or even attempted to try.

A BORN LEADER

At the conclusion of nearly every Rams practice, a few players always lag behind the group on the long walk back to the locker room. Some stay behind and catch passes, others work on footwork. They all do it by choice but some undoubtedly do it because that’s what Jackson does.

Jackson is the one who will quickly peel off his pads and run extra gassers, not because he’s out of shape but because it sets the right example of what it takes to be successful.

The Rams have the fourth-youngest team in the NFL with an average age of right around 26. Coincidentally, Jackson is the same age. But because he entered the league when he was only 20, Jackson’s ascent to a leadership role has happened quicker than most.

As he’s grown and developed as a player, he’s seen players come and go and just now, in 2009, has he taken it upon himself to become the leader of this young group.

“I have seen nothing but great things,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “His greatness in that regard, in the leadership regard is shining right now when it’s not the best of times and the results haven’t been what we want. I’m not going to share with you one other thing but there was something he did that meant the world to me and I appreciated him and how he’s gone about things right now.”

Growing up in Las Vegas, Jackson’s lessons in leadership began at an early age. His father, Steve, practically majored in the subject as a Marine veteran in the Vietnam War.

That meant plenty of “yes, sir” and “no, sir” in the Jackson household but it also began a cultivation process in the planting of those seeds of leadership.

Jackson learned a lot of the details from his father, things like always being on time, keeping your word and being dressed presentably for every occasion. Those little things that can determine one’s character.

“You have to go through a maturation of becoming a leader,” Jackson said. “Everyone doesn’t have leadership qualities but those...
                            -10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
                          • MauiRam
                            Rams camp report: Unbridled spirit keeps Jackson running ..
                            by MauiRam
                            Rams camp report: Unbridled spirit keeps Jackson running
                            By Pete Prisco
                            CBSSports.com Senior Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- His talents seem hidden beneath the rubble that has been the St. Louis Rams the past three seasons, a gem buried deep underneath the trash pile.

Running back Steven Jackson ran for a career second-best 1,416 yards last season, but few noticed. For one, Tennessee's Chris Johnson ran for over 2,000 yards to lead the league and steal the spotlight, with Jackson finishing second in rushing. Then there's the team record. Going 1-15 doesn't exactly bring the national spotlight to anybody on a team's roster.

The Rams still play football?

"There's nothing I can do about it," Jackson said. "I know people don't notice me the way they do other guys. But as long as I have the respect of my peers, I'm OK with it."

That's why when veteran quarterbacks Brett Favre and Peyton Manning sought him out after games last season, it meant so much to Jackson.

Manning gave him a quick message for a great player struggling on a bad team: Keep working and heading in the right direction, Manning told him.

"Him saying that was cool, a neat experience," Jackson said.

Any acknowledgement is a good thing when you've been playing for a team that has won a total of six games in three seasons. Jackson is truly the NFL's hidden superstar.

That can beat down any player, the constant negativity that comes with losing each and every Sunday. Do you know how hard it is to attend Pro Bowls or go to Vegas and hang out with fellow NFL players and have to explain the losing?

Players can often be sympathetic to other players in the offseason. So I asked Jackson what the players from other teams say to him.

"That they want to trade for me," he said.

You can forget that. With the Rams likely breaking in rookie quarterback Sam Bradford this season, an offense that was last in the NFL in scoring in 2009 will need Jackson more than ever.

There will once again be heavy doses of Jackson right and Jackson left on Sundays again.

The good news is he's healthy. Jackson wasn't close to that last season, although he only missed one game. Jackson played the final six games with a herniated disc in his lower back. Usually that would mean a star on a team out of the playoffs checking out. Not this one, even though Jackson said the pain was "excruciating" and he needed back surgery to fix the problem after the season.

"I only missed the Arizona game, but that day the sciatic nerve was unforgiving," Jackson said. "I really had to tell myself it wasn't smart for my career."

The long season could have broken the man. But it never did. That impressed Rams coach Steve...
                            -08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
                          • RamWraith
                            Jackson enjoys monumental moment with parents
                            by RamWraith
                            By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

Steven Jackson sat in the living room of his suburban St. Louis home Tuesday night, waiting impatiently for history to hit him over the head and wondering what the two people who raised him must be thinking.

The St. Louis Rams’ star running back had insisted that his parents, Steve and Brenda, extend their visit from Las Vegas so that they could spend election night with him and his girlfriend, Supriya Harris.

“Just looking at them as it all unfolded, as the wall came crumbling down,” Jackson says, “I almost started crying.”

For Jackson and so many other NFL players, Barack Obama’s ascendance to the U.S. presidency was a landmark moment they never saw coming as kids. For people of his parents’ generation and background, it took on a different level of incomprehensibility.

“They grew up in a small town in Arkansas,” Jackson marvels. “They went to segregated schools their whole lives. For them to experience that moment was just really, really special, and I wanted to make sure we shared it.”

If you still subscribe to the stereotype that professional athletes are so self-centered and oblivious that they avoid politics like drug tests – well, that’s as outdated as the notion that a biracial man can’t get elected to the highest office in the land.

Consider that Minnesota Vikings quarterback Gus Frerotte called me Tuesday evening after getting off a flight from St. Louis to Minneapolis, frantically seeking updated electoral-vote tallies, or that Cincinnati Bengals wideout Chad Johnson and Denver Broncos wideout Brandon Marshall each planned touchdown celebrations (both of which ended up getting aborted) in support of Obama.

At the Rams’ training facility, which is hardly unique, players were engaged and argumentative in the months leading up to the election, paying as much attention to issues like health-care reform as they did, say, luxury-car customization.

“In the morning, we keep all our [locker-room, training-room and weight-room] TVs on CNN,” Jackson says. “We definitely argue back and forth, and the main issue is always taxes. It pisses me off because we have so many issues facing this country, and the guys who supported McCain seemed to only care about that one thing. Even a couple of the [African-American players] on the team said they would vote for McCain, and it was all because of money.”

As Jackson’s comments suggest, he is a staunch Democrat who supported Obama’s candidacy based on policy. Yet there’s no debate that for him and so many other African-American NFL players, the election’s obvious social significance triggered a new level of enthusiasm.

Again, that goes back to Steve and Brenda, whose outlooks were shaped by their experiences growing up in Warren, Ark., population 6,752.

Steve, who joined...
                            -11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
                          Working...
                          X