TheFieldGoal:Martz balances beats ***** 24-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheFieldGoal:Martz balances beats ***** 24-14

A few seasons ago, 49er fans were made aware of the salary cap infractions of the late 80's and early 90's. The former Five Time Super Bowl franchise is now a fact only in the record books. The 49er Faithful are now booing there once proud franchise. And the expectations of years past are on low key status. The strong earthquakes being registered in the Bay Area now seems like an 8.0 jolt. It sure was the case in the first quarter.
    The departure of key playmakers like QB Jeff Garcia, WR Terell Owens,RB Garrison Hearst, OT Derrick Deese and OG Ron Stone have put the franchise in a rebuilding status just like an expansion club. Add to that the departure of offensive coordinator Jim MoraJr., Greg Knapp to Atlanta, and the ***** have huge concerns.
    A year ago GM Terry Donahue expected his team to challenge for a playoff spot. But by dumping seven offensive starters in favor of younger players, Donahue believed that the ***** of 2004 would surprise some people. With four games into the season and a loss today, Donahue has certainly come through with the faithful fans so far. Not exactly the most likable guy in the Bay Area today.
    Denial is the word being uttered by the General Manager thus far to the 49er faithful at Monster Park. But enough of the recap season for the going south quickly *****.
    The real story of the game on this Sunday was the balancing act by Coach Mike Martz. After being criticized for his pass happy mentality for the seasons two losses. I do not know if it was the hungry thought of just beating an old rival, especially when they are down. The ***** have not gone 0-4 since 1979 when Coach Bill Walsh arrived. Hey, what the heck they had no mercy with us back in the day. Remember the Ken Norton punching act. Still vivid in our brains 49er Faithful.
    Mike Martz combined the gameplan to involve everyone. The Rams played a solid outing all the way around. Marc Bulger passed for 186 yards, Marshall Faulk rushed for 121 yards, and Isaac Bruce had seven catches for 100 yards to a 24-0 half-time lead. Every skill player for the Rams contributed on this day, including WR Shaun McDonald and FB Joey Goodspeed on touchdown scores.
    The defense with Tommy Polley and Leonard Little leading the way with consistent rushes, forced two turnovers and it led to 10 points. Martz stated after the game,"This team has potential. We are on the right track." For Mike Martz this game was more about shutting his so called critics (like myself) about his lack of a balanced attack. Just in the first half alone, he called 19 running plays and 18 passing plays. And add to the fact that both Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk had over 100 yard days today. I think Mike Martz has made it very clear, this is his style whether we like it or not. He will guide this team whether it's a balanced attack or not.
    Meanwhile, the new look ***** struggled once more. The ***** to date have been outscored 48-3 in the first quarter this season. Tim Rattay was 31 of 47 for 299 yards and two late touchdowns in the 4th quarter. Rattay connected with Curtis Conway and Rashaun Woods for a total of 134 yards alone in the last quarter to avoid another shutout. Fred Beasley commented on the game after by saying," We are frustrated, because we know we are so much better than what we're showing on the field."
    For Dennis Erickson and GM Terry Donahue it's not a happy state. With a record of just 39-41 in the last five seasons and no playoff appearance since 2002. Combine that with what is shaping up to be a 4th losing season in six years. The 49er Faithful needs a prayer badly. Coach Erickson stated after the game," All we can do is fight through it." As for GM Terry Donahue his stance is still and I quote," We are going to compete. I don't think our coaches, our management or personnel people are going to lie down and accept 2004 as a rebuilding year." I get the feeling Steve Mariucci, Jeff Garcia and Terrel Owens are just happy where they are at. Heck, they all might make the playoffs this year.

Oscar F Lopez
Working...
X