Back from Hols - what a disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from Hols - what a disaster

Just got back from 2 weeks in Turkey without TV, radio and mobile phone prohibited by my wife..

We loose to the Saints at home.... C'MON.... heads need to roll

During the offseason i tried to remain positive about the rams but looking at whats developed so far i can't help but cast a bleak eye over it all.

To start with, I have to take my hat off to the niners. They have taken the tough decision to 'lose' their season in order to retool for the future. They are not going to win many games this season i.e.i wouldn't be surprised to see them drafting #1 overall.

The reason i mention this is because its clear that we have a number of busts on this team and perhaps its time we take the difficult decision to retool also... As an example.. I won't be surprised to see both the OL and DL rebuilt this offseason. Lets face it, these units now effectively represent the cellar of the league !!!

Key to rebuilding these units is Pace, we need to trade him away in order to have the room to rebuild this unit. Pinkett, DLewis and Little need to go and we need some solid FA's in there.. The draft should go to the OL and DB.

Lastly, we need to find ourselves a winning Defensive coordinator not afraid to change schemes.

Re: Back from Hols - what a disaster

Originally posted by eLacky
    The reason i mention this is because its clear that we have a number of busts on this team and perhaps its time we take the difficult decision to retool also... As an example.. I won't be surprised to see both the OL and DL rebuilt this offseason. Lets face it, these units now effectively represent the cellar of the league !!!
    I'm going with the assumption that your post was simply a bait to get some discussion going, because you can't possibly be serious. With that assumption in place, I'll take the bait.

Neither the OL or DL represent the cellar of the league. As I've posted elsewhere, this much-maligned OL owns a large responsibility in the running games 4.8 ypc good for 4th in the league. Likewise, nearly half the league (14 of 31) have allowed as many or more sacks than this OL. Yet, there are only 6 teams that have attempted more passes than the Rams. No, I'd say the OL is doing just fine.

As far as the DL, well at 4.9 ypc, they are giving up too much on the ground. However, Sunday night could be a turning point for them. They put good pressure on Rattay. They limited Barlow, Jackson & Beasley. Pickett filled the middle, Lewis disrupted the pocket, Little was everywhere, Fisher anchored the right side. I think they are on their way up. But even if they didn't play well Sunday night, there are still at least 7 or 8 DL more porous than them.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Good rebuttal, bison.

Comment

I think we should trade the entire starting line-up for 22 draft picks.

Comment

The St. Louis Rams all-rookie team.

Comment

Nothing has changed my mind about changing the name of the team to the Freds. To see Georgia so grateful would surely be inspiring to the St. Louis Freds all-rookie team prospects.

Comment

I guess you are right... lets leave things as they are and prey..

maybe i was being a bit radical but what I'm talking about is taking some form of action.. clearly we have taken no action on either side of the line in the last number of years that have given us success.. on the contrary, all we have done is downgrade...

McCullom, Timmerman, Dishman etc... all has-beens... and Pace is strangling our ability to introduce talent and quality. On the DL we have a number of busts and its time to let these guys find another home and bring in some experience (we cannot afford to draft here again).. Little is looking like a one year wonder at the mo... maybe we should 'cash-in'

PS: Sorry for having an opinion our outside of your 'happy' club

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• txramsfan
                Future dilemma at DT
                by txramsfan
                This years draft produced Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett, both slated to be eventual starters with Lewis being tabbed as starting early in camp, but someone forgot to tell 2nd year man Brian Young. All Young has done is have a break out year, leading the D Line with 64 tackles and 5 sacks. Zgonina a proven vet and Jackson with 3 sacks are playing solid football.

Question is, with our secondary being banged up this year, especially at Safety, do the Rams have enough insurance at this position to use as trade bait? Also to consider, A. Williams IS having an outstanding season, but he isn't the youngest man in the league. He still has at least 2 good years left, maybe more. However, maybe making a trade to improve draft position and get a CB or S out of the upcoming draft would be an option.

:lid:
                -12-15-2001, 03:19 AM
              • Barry Waller
                SO How Important is Drafting OL High?
                by Barry Waller
                Let's just take a look at the starting O-lines of the best teams in the NFL. You can bet these teams will add MORE high OL picks this year as well if needed.

New England - 2 first rounders 1 second rounder
                Cincinnati - 2 firsts (one 6th overall) a second and two 4ths
                Seattle - 2 firsts 9one 6th over all) one second one third
                San Fran - THREE firsts (11.17,28)
                KC - TWO firsts (1st, 15th overall), TWO SECONDS, and a THIRD.
                Denver - One First (12th), TWO seconds and TWO thirds
                Carolina - One First (8th) TWO Seconds
                Philly - One top UFA (Peters), ONE first (4th), One former third UFA (Mathis).
                Philly also blew a #1 on Danny Watkins.

It's obvious how these teams got to be the best ones right now.

When these teams start seeing aging in t heir line, and don't replentish t he stock with early picks, they often see a big drop in wins. like what happened here with Pace and Timmerman and McCollum growing old at the same time, with almost no high picks to replace them..
                b
                When the Rams tried, with Smith and Barron, it was maybe the biggest reason for their demise.

Right now the Rams have One First rounder, Williams, who busted out in Chicago as a tackle, who is unsigned, ONE Second rounder they may well lose, and a high paid free agent former high first.

The rest are late picks like Jones, or undrafted free agents.

Looking at the teams that ar e winning WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
                And why is there not some huge cry to fix this on draft day over taking a pass rusher or wide receiver to add to an already competetive and stacked group of young talent.

The Niners and Seattle have been able to go elsewhere other than Oline the last couple drafts, because they got that taken care of a couple years ago, just when they really started t o get good again.

it is no coincidence.
                -01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
              • Ram Dragoon
                Still waiting
                by Ram Dragoon
                Oh yah still smarting from what wasn't in 07, I still find myself waiting on what moves the Rams will make for 08....nothing earth shaking yet besides some coaching changes.

So what will it be on offense? Having heard that the Rams may go more for a run-style offense; yet still an assemblence of a core for a passing offense remains. Or do we really need to wait and see till after the draft?
                -03-17-2008, 06:27 PM
              • RamsFanSam
                The needs are now obvious
                by RamsFanSam
                After seeing the game against Arizona today, the needs of the Rams are clearly obvious. Some of you may scream about the order I put these in. Too bad....this is MY opinion. I don't think anyone can argue with the positions, but you might disagree with the order of need.

1. Wide reciever. Amendola and Avery are good. We need spectacular. We need a WR who can make plays like Torry and Issac did in their prime. We need a WR who HAS to be double covered, but still makes the plays.

2. Defensive Tackle. There has got to be someone who can stop the run, somebody who can push an entire O-line back to the stone age. OK, maybe that's too much, but you get the picture.

3. Quarterback. Marc's been doing OK this season. Just OK. I had hopes that he would improve as the season rolled along, but he seems to have hit a plateau. During the last minute of the game, he got hit. Right then I knew he was out for the last few seconds of the game, whether they pulled him or not. The Rams cannot afford this any longer. We need a young, tough QB. Marc would make a heck of a great tutor, and a fantastic backup, but he's getting old enough that those hits of the past are adding up.

4. Running back. Steven's a beast. I want him to stay that way, but the way he's had to pound opposing defenses this season, he's going to be hurting in the near future. We need another starting quality running back, not to replace him, but to "enhance" him.

Well....that's the front four. Have fun discussing this.
                -11-22-2009, 04:22 PM
              • rNemesis
                HOW CLOSE IS THIS TEAM TO COMPETING?(VERY LONG)Please provide feedback
                by rNemesis
                First of all let me just say that these last few years have been VERY frustrating and embarassing for me as a RAM FAN and I'm sure you guys are just as disappointed. I have watched my team go from the greatest show on turf to, as a washington post columnist said after the redskins loss, " the most miserable mass on grass". MY main question here is , " How far are the rams from being a decent competitive rock solid team? Its a long way to go; it doesnt happen overnight but it shouldnt take FOREVER either.

But I am not gonna sit here and talk about that all night. We know what has happened. We know what we've become. 13 straight losses dating back to last season. 3-13 in 2007 and 2-14 in 2008. 5 wins in the last 30 or so games? ( not sure exactly the stats) That is horrible.

Let's go back year by year as to how we finished record wise.
                In the 1990's we were bad. But so were other teams which are now good today. But if you look at our 90's record to others, you will see that we were bad most of those years. Other teams had bad years too during the 90's but it was only really the lions, bengals, cardinals and saints. That should show you how bad of a team the Rams are. We never finished over 7 wins from 1990 up until 1999, which was our superbowl year. Which now tells me that the Rams have been bad, are now bad, and I hope we dont continue to be bad. But lately one has to believe that that is the penalty for our actions.

2000- 10-6 DECENT
                2001- 14-2 ( excellent; we beat the pats that season but lost in the SB to the same :|)
                2002- 7-9 Not bad
                2003- 12-4 excellent
                2004- 8-8 not bad; competitive
                2005- I think we were 7-9 or 6-10 cant remember
                2006- 8-8
                2007- 3-13 horrible
                2008- 2-14 lousy

I am not surprised at how we have fallen so badly. What I cant seem to understand is how fast we have fallen as such. How come we havent been able to stop the bleeding and bounce back like other teams have seemed to?

So tell me guys. How far off is this team from competing? Well, I look at the league and I have noticed that most of the other teams have playmakers in a lot of key positions. Why is that? Because they do a great job of DRAFTING PLAYERS THAT FIT INTO THEIR SCHEME WELL. We on the other hand have not done that lately. We have drafted players that have done well IN THEIR SCHEME and so it didnt matter to the previous regime ( Jay ZYgmunt ) if they fit or not the point was they wanted them so much that they drafted them regardless of their college scheme and success. In the era since Martz left, we have drafted the likes of busts ( or so they appear to be) like Tye Hill, Adam Carriker, Claude Wroten, Fakhir Brown, etc. The list goes on and on.

THIS HAS REALLY HURT THIS ORGANIZATION SO MUCH THAT IT IS REARING ITS UGLY HEAD NOW. Bad drafting has put us in such a talentless hole that...
                -09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
              Working...
              X