Go out and get a receiver now!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go out and get a receiver now!!!

Bring in amani toomer someone who can at least give us a decent target for the rest of the season. Avery is injury prone and burton cannot get open...

Re: Go out and get a receiver now!!!

Amen.

*Avery - Not consistent, and is fragile. He will have some decent games, but he is just not a consistent factor for other teams to worry about.
    *Burton - Still has trouble getting separation, but comes in handy sometimes.
    *Amendola - For his small size, he should be way quicker. But, he has made some pretty good plays.
    *Carter - Off the street scrub, would not even be on a lot of teams in the NFL.
    *Martin - Hasn't done anything.
    *Walker - Hasn't done anything.

Comment

Just who should they pick up, really? Toomer? He's not going to be any better than what we have, he's decrepit and doesn't know the playbook. Anyone else is going to need to learn the playbook as well, and will take a few weeks to get ready. Better to let the youngsters to continue to play.
      I believe!:ram:

Comment

I’m sure most of us seen this coming before the season started, without a question this is the worst WR’s group I have ever seen. IMO every receiver on the team is a # 3 or 4. The rams has to draft or thru FA get some help there. At this stage there little they can do.
        :ramlogo:

Comment

I am not sure who they can get at this point but they need to do something,Avery gets hurt when the wind blows, Burton just isn't getting open and the rest are average at best,part of me feels for Bulger,not to long ago he was throwing to 2 future HOF's and now he has just the opposite to throw to, Bruce and Holt at there extended ages are still better than anything we have now. but hopefully the FO can find someone out there.

Comment

Do the Rams dare entertain the thought of Drew Bennett?
            sigpic

Comment

I'm watching the Cardinals right now and Warner looks amazing, mostly because his receivers are grabbing everything in their vicinity with great catches. It would be nice if Bulger had that. It's getting to be desperation time with the WR situation.

Comment

WOW.. have we come along way from having Bruce and Holt, the WR issue was SOOO evident today,the lack OFFF, if we had had some decent WRs, to me we would of won....

steve
                "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                  I'm watching the Cardinals right now and Warner looks amazing, mostly because his receivers are grabbing everything in their vicinity with great catches. It would be nice if Bulger had that. It's getting to be desperation time with the WR situation.
                  he does look good but your right those guys catch everything,if we had just one of them it would make a difference.

Comment

Avery when healthy and on point imo could be a devery henderson number 2 type of receiver. We need a true number 1 guy that is for sure. When Avery went down our offense really strugled we really need that number 1 weapon go to guy. The line IMO has played Well S-jax is a beast, TE's could be better, QB's could be better(but also don't have the weapons), we are really lacking that weapon on the outside and we really need that

Comment

Yeah, well, we are going to need a new QB to go with the WR.

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                      Amen.

*Avery - Not consistent, and is fragile. He will have some decent games, but he is just not a consistent factor for other teams to worry about.
                      *Burton - Still has trouble getting separation, but comes in handy sometimes.
                      *Amendola - For his small size, he should be way quicker. But, he has made some pretty good plays.
                      *Carter - Off the street scrub, would not even be on a lot of teams in the NFL.
                      *Martin - Hasn't done anything.
                      *Walker - Hasn't done anything.
                      Alot of this sounds like Bulger!

:helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Ferter View Post
                        Yeah, well, we are going to need a new QB to go with the WR.

Alot of this sounds like Bulger!

:helmet:
                        How so? It's Bulger's fault that Avery isn't consistent and has injury trouble? That Burton has trouble getting separation? That Amendola isn't faster, that Carter was just signed off the street? That Martin and Walker have yet to do anything for the Rams?

The Rams were fielding one of the worst receiving corps in the league going into this game, and then to top that off, they lost the best receiver from that group in the second quarter, causing their offensive coordinator to curl up into the fetal position. They only had three active receivers for the rest of the game, two of which weren't even on this team a month ago.

A lot of this sounds like it's on Bulger? Really?

Comment

Until we move beyond the Bulger era (as many want or call for), next season or so, we do need a true #1 WR. The problem is what is even remotely available for street free agents? We already have most of them on the roster that are under 30...

Comment

Originally posted by SFCRamFan View Post
                            Until we move beyond the Bulger era (as many want or call for), next season or so, we do need a true #1 WR. The problem is what is even remotely available for street free agents? We already have most of them on the roster that are under 30...
                            I'm not sure I understand your post, as I'd argue we need a true #1 WR regardless of who is at quarterback. Neither Robinson nor Avery seem to be able to stay healthy, and they weren't exactly scaring people when they were on the field anyways. This team does not have a difference maker at receiver. Until they do, opponents will simply continue to load the box against Jackson and force the Rams to beat them through the air. Sure, the Rams will show flashes of a passing game from time to time (first drive of this game, for example), but it's not success they'll be able to sustain because we don't have the talent to continually and consistently make those plays.

Comment

I hope youre talking a couple months in advance. There is nothing out there.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                                The Watercooler: Do The Rams Have Future No. 1 WR On Roster?
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                12.08.2009 1:23 pm
                                Do Rams have future No. 1 WR on roster?
                                By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: Do you see any of the current Rams wide receivers developing into a No. 1 guy someday, or is this corps comprised of guys more suited for No. 2 or No. 3 roles?

JIM THOMAS
                                Don’t see it. Donnie Avery shows flashes, but can’t stay healthy, and needs to be more consistent catching the ball and getting open. Brandon Gibson’s production has dipped markedly since his first-game splash. Danny Amendola isn’t big enough to be anything more than a slot receiver in the NFL. Ruvell Martin? He can’t get on the field. Laurent Robinson — remember him? — looked like he was on pace for a big year before suffering his season-ending ankle and leg injuries in Week 3.

BERNIE MIKLASZ
                                They’re all secondary receivers; 3s. I suppose Avery has a shot at being a legit No. 2, but his lack of durability makes him more suitable for the slot. And there is nothing wrong with that; Avery could be a dynamic performer as a slot receiver. With the changes in the NFL passing game, there’s more of a premium on big, physical receivers and the Rams don’t have one. This is the league’s worst group of receivers, and it won’t be fixed until the Rams either (A) sign a top free agent wideout; (B) hit the jackpot by drafting a legit No. 1.

JEFF GORDON
                                We’ve seen Isaac Bruce. We’ve seen Torry Holt. We know what a No. 1 receiver looks like here in St. Louis. There isn’t a real No. 1 in this group. Perhaps Brandon Gibson can be a No. 2 someday. Perhaps Donnie Avery can use his speed to become a nice slot receiver. Maybe the injured Laurent Robinson can come back as a possession guy. Maybe Danny Amendola can be an extra slot guy to go with his kick returning. But that’s it. (All of this assumes that the Rams will someday run a legitimate passing game. In this timid scheme, the Rams have plenty.)

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
                                No, none of these guys are No. 1’s. Not even close. Avery and Robinson strike me as being the same player. They’re both speed guys who can stretch the field but neither has the size or hands to be a No. 1. Gibson looks like he could be a decent possession receiver as a No. 3 or No 4. They need someone who combines the elements of size, speed and hands and none of the players on the current roster fit that bill.
                                -12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
                              • The Rammer
                                Has receiver become a strong spot?
                                by The Rammer
                                I know that the offense isn't producing, but I feel like the receiving corps isn't exactly awful anymore. Avery and Amendola are really producing. Gibson, and even Ruvell Martin are playing nicely. And next year with Robinson and Burton back, this won't exactly be a terrible corps like we thought early on in this season.
                                -12-25-2009, 10:47 AM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Injury Creates Opportunity For Receivers
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Injury Creates Opportunity for Receivers
                                Monday, August 10, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

When Donnie Avery went to bed following the Rams’ Friday night scrimmage, there was plenty of optimism about the continuing development of the team’s receiving corps.

With Avery leading the way, that group had just posted a strong showing in the scrimmage and had looked to be much deeper than most people thought.

But as the news broke Sunday afternoon that Avery suffered a fractured fourth metatarsal in his left foot and would miss four to six weeks, the process of developing that depth has become a much more important factor in this year’s preseason and training camp.

“Somebody else has got to step up in his spot,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “I think there are nine (wideouts) left there and they will all certainly get a lot of work when we get to our three receiver sets. It will require them to get a lot of reps so somebody has to step up and take those reps.”

The loss of Avery for the next month or so is a bit of a blow to a young receiver corps that appeared to be coming into its own in offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur’s offense. Of course, it’s also a prime opportunity for the aforementioned other receivers to step up and show what they can do.

For now, the task of stepping into Avery’s role will likely fall to the trio of Keenan Burton, Laurent Robinson and Tim Carter. In seven on seven drills on Monday morning, Spagnuolo used that group in three receiver sets, working Carter into the slot.

Behind that trio, the Rams also have Derek Stanley, Brooks Foster and Ronald Curry who figure to work their way into the mix on a more regular basis.

Although the Rams don’t necessarily have a star at the position, that also doesn’t mean the receiving group can’t be productive in this offense.

“I don’t think you have to have one big star or two big stars,” receivers coach Charlie Baggett said. “I think there are teams in this league that do very well with receivers that are what we call ‘role players’ and I think it is up to the coaches to put them in the right situations depending on what their strengths are and what the offense plays are designed to do and get them in the right spot and a lot of teams win that way. You complement the run with the pass and I think that is the most important thing. It is not having four or five great receivers on one team, it is improving over the years in the NFL you can win without superstar receivers.”

In his short career, Burton has followed a similar path of Avery. Both were drafted in the 2008 NFL Draft and both created buzz in their first training camps with their ability to make plays down the field.

While Burton doesn’t possess the speed of Avery, he is a pretty polished route runner and has showed the ability...
                                -08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
                              • RamsInfiniti
                                Wideout as pressing a need as any for Rams ...
                                by RamsInfiniti
                                There has been mucho debate as to what the Rams should do with the #2 pick. Do you we tie up a ton of money in an offensive tackle? This is a very risky proposition at the #2 slot, as there really doesn't seem to be that head and shoulders above the rest talent out there this year. There were some questions revolving around Jake Long last year, and none of these guys is on that level at this point ....

Do you invest #2 money in a linebacker? Yes, Curry is a physical specimen, and he dominated for Wake Forest, against what some may say was inferior competition. He's projected as a SAM linebacker, while we really need a MIKE. Do we want to try to force yet another player to play a new position? What if he cannot play the MIKE and has to play SAM? Well, excellent SAM linebackers can be had for much less money and are often found further down in the draft ....

All that aside, is their truly a bigger need than WR on this team at the moment? Barron can play LT, he has shown this. We do need some depth at LT, but do you pay a player #2 money for instant depth? there has to be a better option in free agency, or on the street, as the start of the season nears. We have enough players to fill an adequate linebacking corp, if anything, Spags scheme will help significantly. We are drastically improved in the secondary, and I think we will get the absolute most we can out of Tye Hill, Wade, and King this season ....

But let me say this, with Holt almost certainly being gone ....

AVERY, BURTON, STANLEY, LOOKER, CADDELL ....

Yes, there you go, you are looking at our receiving corp right there, as of right now. Those are the players that are currently on the roster that saw significant time on the field or practice squad with us last year ....

Sure, Avery showed steady improvement. Burton has all the tools to be a star in this league, but will his injuries hold him back? We don't know what we have in Stanley at this point, as one long spectacular catch does not make a successful receiver. Looker is solid, but is aging and not a real threat in any regard. Caddell is a hard worker, but little is known about him ....

Sure, we are likely going to have a dominant running game, at least for sometime. We have something special brewing in the middle of our offensive line. The tackle situation is still questionable, but we will no doubt be able to pound it inside. But how long can that last without credible threats on the outside? They are going to double Avery relentlessly until somebody shows they can make something happen. Either two of these other guys need to step up, or we need some help somewhere. I think Burton is going to be make the transition nicely, but we desparetly need a third option. Amani Toomer, Joey Galloway, etc. - these are not the guys that can solve our problems. We need to find a gem in the draft, somehow, someway - a guy that can step in and immediately...
                                -03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Avery and Burton Need to be on the Field
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Its really that simple.

Torry Holt is still a top 10 receiver, but his strength at this point is his ability to get open running mid range (12-18 yard) patterns. Bennett? Not quite sure what he brings. McMichael? He could be an important weapon down the middle of the field.

But Avery and Burton, as we saw last night, are the players who have the ability to make opposing defenses worry about the long ball. Even if neither puts up huge numbers this year, their presence on the field is important.

Steven Jackson is the Rams No. 1 option. Heck, he may be options 1 and 2. But for him to be successful, the Rams need to keep opposing defenses honest. If he's facing 8 or 9 men in the box, he's not going to find running room.

Put a speedy young WR on the outside, and suddenly opposing defenses will have to adjust. From what I've seen, Burton really knows how to get down the field and use his body to shield single coverage from the ball. Avery is just lightning in a bottle. Cover him one on one and fail to get a good bump... he's going to get behind the defense.

Forget who has a big contract, or who might know the playbook best... the Rams need the threat of the long ball.

They need to play A&B early and often.
                                -08-24-2008, 09:21 AM
                              Working...
                              X