Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A strange argument to make, but here goes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange argument to make, but here goes...

I think we should scale back on Jackson a great deal when it becomes apparent we are going to lose, which is usually in the 1st or 2nd quarter. I just think it is a crime we are running him into the ground (IMO he could be the best RB in the league) for such a horrible team.

In a couple of years when we might have a decent team, if he continues to carry like he is, he will be run down. It is such a shame to waste such talent, I almost want to see him traded to a good team to see him live out his potential.

I just hate seeing such an exciting player being wasted, I think it will be a loss to football history. Of course I want him to remain a Ram, but he will likely be sentenced to mediocrity for the rest of him career.

Re: A strange argument to make, but here goes...

The life of a RB is a short one...am mostly in aggreement with this last post. By the time the Rams have it turned around, S. Jackson will be sharing beers on Sundays talking of days gone bye

Comment

Everything the rams do and will do is wasted, as long as they continue to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win.

The team desperately needed a win today. How precious a little confidance could be, yet how elusive.

Play to win, Spagnoulo. Verily, the football gods will smile upon thee.
      Last edited by live4ramin; -10-18-2009, 07:24 PM.
      Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

So you want to limit his carries. Ok im gonna tell you what will happen if you limit his carries. He will get beyond pissed because he will think he isnt helping the team, the team on numerous occasions he has said he wants to stick with and help win. He will get fed up and feel put out. He will certainly sink into mediocrity with less carries. I was listening to the commentary on the game today, they said that nfl defensive players asked what rb they hate going against, unanimously they said steven jackson. He is one of the most feared players in the nfl today, he is known as a star player and you have to stack 9 people in the box to even try to stop him. How is he sinking into mediocrity again? The 4th leading rusher in the nfl sinking into obscurity? You have got to be kidding. This man is our team. You want to limit one of the only great players on our team. Really, why?

Comment

Haven't the Rams already been scaling back Jackson's carries??

Comment

01d-

I feel for your argument, he is our offense. Yet, for all of his work he has little to show for it. The respect of fellow players means alot I am sure, but he is likely playing his prime years with a horrible team. From a fans perspective, I want to see him play, but I don't want to see him waste his talent in games that mean nothing.

I am not suggesting radical action, but in games (like versus the Colts) where we are going to be knocked out right away, limit SJAX's carries to under 20. The futility of our passing attack could see Jackson carrying the ball 25 times in a blow out.

I am at a loss for words expressing exactly what I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by live4ramin View Post
              Everything the rams do and will do is wasted, as long as they continue to play "not to lose" instead of playing to win.

The team desperately needed a win today. How precious a little confidance could be, yet how elusive.

Play to win, Spagnoulo. Verily, the football gods will smile upon thee.
              Are you kidding? Playing not to lose???

We could play with reckless abandon and still be beat by some college teams. We suck beyond words. We are not talking inches here, we are talking light years from acceptable NFL play. Do we watch the same team? If we lose by less than 25 points, it is considered an improvement. If we outscore the 1978 Bucs, we will consider than an accomplishment.

No, no, this goes far beyond playcalling.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                Jackson Carries Rams Into the Light ..
                by MauiRam
                By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
                Posted 2 hours ago

It is said that out of darkness will emerge light. How quickly that light emerges depends on whether you move with confidence or tiptoe through the shadows.

Steven Jackson has never tiptoed through anything in his life. And though it’s taken longer than he would have liked, the eighth-year running back is on the verge of delivering the Rams out of the darkness and into the light.

It’s a task that many would choose not to take on for enduring the pain that goes with it would be too much for just about anyone to bear.

Jackson has been called many things in his career but there’s one common nickname he’s been called that he never quite grasped until he took the time during the offseason to wrap his head around it.

“It’s funny I have been referred to as a beast for quite some time and I said, ‘You know, I am going to look it up. What does the word beast mean?’” Jackson said. “And to give you a quick synopsis of how I look at it and how I thought of it is ‘a mammal that bears the weight of something and transports it.’ I feel like I have been a beast because I bear the weight of some tough times around St. Louis and I have carried it from the days of glory to now hopefully to a new age and a new version of the days of glory. And I have been the particular, chosen one to feel like maybe he’s the one strong enough to bring us through the darkness back to a point where (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) and these younger guys will bring us back to glory.”

Bearing the weight of an entire franchise’s struggle is a burden Jackson has carried for all of his seven seasons in the NFL. On closer inspection, it’s clear that Jackson’s sacrifice has gone well beyond simply being a part of a losing team.

In fact, he’s one of the last of his kind in the NFL, a running back willing and capable of taking on a full load in a league that grown more specialized by the season.

The job of the single running back carrying the load is one thing; the job of the single player carrying the hopes of a franchise on his back is another. Jackson has done both.

It’s a job Jackson believes he was chosen for, a job he was selected for by powers greater than a general manager or head coach.

“I think it’s a divine job not for the organization but for me, myself because I never knew some of the strong characteristics and the things that I believe in were within me until I had to go through some tough times,” Jackson said.

A DYING BREED

With each passing NFL season, the league evolves and changes in ways that consistently alter the way players and positions are perceived.

Today, in 2011, the NFL is almost universally viewed as a quarterback’s league, a passing league in which running backs can be found and deployed in a variety of ways and you can...
                -09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
              • AvengerRam_old
                Part of me hopes that Steven Jackson retires.
                by AvengerRam_old
                Let me start by saying that I am taking the rumors and reports of Steven Jackson's potential retirement with a boulder-sized grain of salt. He could very well just be posturing in advance of upcoming negotiations, or he could merely be tired at the end of a long season.

That said, if he ultimately decides that he wishes to retire, I'll have only three things to say:

1. Good for you;
                2. Good luck in your future; and
                3. Thank you for all you've done for the Rams.

Far too few players get to choose their own fate in this game. Most are told when the end has come. If Steven Jackson decides that he's given enough of his body, blood, sweat and tears, and now wishes to move on, I would not blame him one bit. We've seen how many players end up after giving too much of their health to the game.

I have little doubt that SJax will be successful after he hangs up the cleats. He strikes me as an intelligent and highly charismatic person. Whether he goes into broadcasting, coaching or business, I suspect he'll thrive.

Certainly, I hope he plays a couple more years. I'd love to see him receive the pay-off of running out of the tunnel at a Rams home playoff game.

In the end, though... only SJax can decide what is right and what is best for him.

If he's ready to move on... I hope he does just that.
                -01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
              • Rambos
                Quotable
                by Rambos
                Quotable: “It seems like everyone is making it a focal point,” Jackson said. “Two years ago, when I was drafted, that’s what the plan was. We knew that eventually the team was going to be more geared and built around me and now it seems like it has finally come to the forefront.”

It's hard for me to like this guy. He is TO like, if he has a big year will he get even a bigger head?
                -06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
              • r8rh8rmike
                Round Two: What Will Steven Jackson's Legacy Be In STL?
                by r8rh8rmike
                What will Steven Jackson's legacy be in STL?

ROGER HENSLEY
                November 23, 2010

QUESTION: This past weekend Steven Jackson moved into the Top 5 all-time in yards from scrimmage for the Rams. Over the years, some fans have been slow to embrace Jackson, though that momentum seems to be changing in recent years. When his playing days are over, what do you think Jackson’s legacy will be in St. Louis?

JIM THOMAS

Perhaps things will change over the second half of his career, but if they don’t, Jackson’s legacy will be that of a great player on bad teams. Kind of a right player/wrong time thing. But Jackson has matured over the years in St. Louis. He has developed into THE team leader, and his willingness to play hard and play hurt, week in and week out has helped changed his image in St. Louis.

BILL COATS

It’s been interesting to watch Steven Jackson mature over his seven seasons with the Rams. He was open with his feelings and thus misunderstood for a few years. Ultimately, I think his legacy will be as a fierce competitor, the most productive running back in franchise history, as well as a devoted team leader.

JEFF GORDON

His legacy depends on whether he lasts long enough to lead the Rams back into the postseason fray. If that occurs, then he will be remembered fondly. He may never be revered like Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and Kurt Warner, given the success of the “Greatest Show on Turf,” but he’ll reach the level right below that pantheon. If the Rams make it all the way back from 1-15 to respectability, the guys who made it happen will feel much love.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)

His legacy will probably depend on what happens with the team over the next few years. If they continue the upward trend then his legacy will be that he carried the team through the down years and helped get them back to the good times again. Unfortunately a player’s legacy is often tied directly to whether or not his team wins more games than they lose.

Independent of that, Jackson will go down as one of the hardest-working players in team history. He keeps himself in great shape year-round, he always plays hard and he plays hurt. He’s a gifted grinder. I really hope the talent level around him continues to improve because if it does we may finally see just how good he can be.

BERNIE MIKLASZ

Two words: Floyd Little. A really good back that gave his career to a losing cause. Little, however, made it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I don't think Jackson will get there. But he's had a fine career. One he should be proud of. As for his legacy in town, that's hard to say. I think people appreciate him more than they used to. But Jackson has always been a convenient target for Rams fans that desire to take their frustration out on someone prominent....
                -11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
              • macrammer
                Sj39.....stepped up today and led by example
                by macrammer
                A great win today for Rams and all of us suffering fans I was so happy to see SJ39 get all over his line on field and on sidelines. Telling them to pull heads out of you know where. Did you see the linemen when he was lecturing them on sidelines? They did not dare to do anything but listen!

It was also very cool to see him walking off field with thos esame guys. That is a leader!
                -10-30-2011, 04:36 PM
              Working...
              X