Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

Pretty good game right? And that's from your very own "bust" Chris Long last week. Those last two stats go to show that he's getting closer and closer to the QB.

The main problem that he is a Left End, playing Right End. He isn't equipped to play RE in the NFL, not his style. But the problem is, you can't not play him because of his skill, and Little is about to that age where he is going to retire, so it's a lost cause to make him adjust to a new position when you'll benefit none. Long and Little are our best rushers, and can't be sitting. And I assume why that's why Long isn't at LE right now.

Michael Strahan played RE for a bit in the NFL, and was no good, didn't pressure the QB, and didn't get sacks. He came in as a LE and was played at the RE. The fans called for his head and labeled him a bust, the Giants then moved him to his natural LE position, and history is history.

Point is, Chris Long isn't a bust. A bust is someone who makes no plays, and plays horribly. And the truth is, Chris Long is playing the run pretty damn good, and his pass rush skills are improving. If we moved him to LE, and they have played him at LE, and he's gotten closer each time to getting a sack, his stats would improve.

I don't get why people label him a bust, when he isn't.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -10-20-2009, 06:51 PM.

Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

Hopefully Little won't retire for a while... at least as long as he's playing this well, but when he does, you guys think Long may move over there?
    As long as Chris can continue to get better, I'm fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
      Pretty good game right? And that's from your very own "bust" Chris Long last week. Those last two stats go to show that he's getting closer and closer to the QB.

The main problem that he is a Left End, playing Right End. He isn't equipped to play RE in the NFL, not his style. But the problem is, you can't not play him because of his skill, and Little is about to that age where he is going to retire, so it's a lost cause to make him adjust to a new position when you'll benefit none. Long and Little are our best rushers, and can't be sitting. And I assume why that's why Long isn't at LE right now.

Michael Strahan played RE for a bit in the NFL, and was no good, didn't pressure the QB, and didn't get sacks. He came in as a LE and was played at the RE. The fans called for his head and labeled him a bust, the Giants then moved him to his natural LE position, and history is history.

Point is, Chris Long isn't a bust. A bust is someone who makes no plays, and plays horribly. And the truth is, Chris Long is playing the run pretty damn good, and his pass rush skills are improving. If we moved him to LE, and they have played him at LE, and he's gotten closer each time to getting a sack, his stats would improve.

Voice of reason. Someone who really knows what is going on.

Comment

Amen brother!

Comment

Chris Long has better teeth than Michael Strahan.

Comment

Great post man!

Looks like you have been watching the games this year. haha

Comment

Chris Long is not a bust. The problem many have is that they expect him to be more of an impact guy as a 2nd overall pick. And no matter how you sugar coat it by talking about occupying blockers, blah, blah, blah, sacks are a measure of that impact from the defensive end position. When I think of the great defensive ends in the history of the game- Deacon, Youngblood, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, they were sack machines. Excellent players like Fred Dean, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Howie Long, Al "Bubba" Baker et. al. likewise had good sack totals year after year. Long is going to have to develop into a player giving this type of production to justify where he was picked, in my opinion.

It is still early. He is only in his 2nd season and isn't exactly surrounded by Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier. He is a worker, a high character guy and one who appears to be improving a little bit. Judging him harshly now is a bit unfair and premature for sure.

Comment

its nice to see him finaly coming around.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                  Chris Long is not a bust. The problem many have is that they expect him to be more of an impact guy as a 2nd overall pick. And no matter how you sugar coat it by talking about occupying blockers, blah, blah, blah, sacks are a measure of that impact from the defensive end position. When I think of the great defensive ends in the history of the game- Deacon, Youngblood, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, they were sack machines. Excellent players like Fred Dean, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Howie Long, Al "Bubba" Baker et. al. likewise had good sack totals year after year. Long is going to have to develop into a player giving this type of production to justify where he was picked, in my opinion.

It is still early. He is only in his 2nd season and isn't exactly surrounded by Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier. He is a worker, a high character guy and one who appears to be improving a little bit. Judging him harshly now is a bit unfair and premature for sure.
                  You are exactly right. Was watching the Rams/Titans Super Bowl on tv last night and saw how dominating Kearse was a rookie. Where Long was picked, that is how he should be playing. Long is good against the run, but against the pass he just isn't there yet. Yet being the operative word. I hope he gets there for the Rams sake, but if he doesn't improve against the pass he will be a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by RF16
                    It's simple really, partner; in today's world of instant gratification some fans believe you are All-Pro on day 1 or you're a bust. Some folks just don't have the patience to understand these things don't always happen overnight.
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
                      You are exactly right. Was watching the Rams/Titans Super Bowl on tv last night and saw how dominating Kearse was a rookie. Where Long was picked, that is how he should be playing. Long is good against the run, but against the pass he just isn't there yet. Yet being the operative word. I hope he gets there for the Rams sake, but if he doesn't improve against the pass he will be a bust.
                      Jevon Kearse is a whole different animal. And didn't Kearse play LE?

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                        Jevon Kearse is a whole different animal. And didn't Kearse play LE?
                        Kearse is a freak, an anomoly like Lebron James, that only comes along once in a generation (maybe). That Superbowl was Kearse's 24th start that season including the Pre-season and the playoffs, and his motor was redlined the whole time. I hate to love Kearse.

Chewing on the Long "issue" is like chewing on jello: what's the point really?
                        A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Comment

Great post RF16...i totally agree playa

Comment

Good post. Kid hasnt quit and all of a sudden the way you play is based on how many times you can sack the QB. I've already accepted the fact that we are in our reconstructing years. To bash Chris Long and to run him out of town would be a mistake and its unfair. Ever team goes through its bad times but i do believe we're near the end and just about ready to turn the corner. Rags to Riches, the Cinderella story, we'll get our redemption soon enough. You'll see

Comment