Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

    Pretty good game right? And that's from your very own "bust" Chris Long last week. Those last two stats go to show that he's getting closer and closer to the QB.

    The main problem that he is a Left End, playing Right End. He isn't equipped to play RE in the NFL, not his style. But the problem is, you can't not play him because of his skill, and Little is about to that age where he is going to retire, so it's a lost cause to make him adjust to a new position when you'll benefit none. Long and Little are our best rushers, and can't be sitting. And I assume why that's why Long isn't at LE right now.

    Michael Strahan played RE for a bit in the NFL, and was no good, didn't pressure the QB, and didn't get sacks. He came in as a LE and was played at the RE. The fans called for his head and labeled him a bust, the Giants then moved him to his natural LE position, and history is history.


    Point is, Chris Long isn't a bust. A bust is someone who makes no plays, and plays horribly. And the truth is, Chris Long is playing the run pretty damn good, and his pass rush skills are improving. If we moved him to LE, and they have played him at LE, and he's gotten closer each time to getting a sack, his stats would improve.


    I don't get why people label him a bust, when he isn't.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -10-20-2009, 06:51 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

    Hopefully Little won't retire for a while... at least as long as he's playing this well, but when he does, you guys think Long may move over there?
    As long as Chris can continue to get better, I'm fine with that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

      Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
      Pretty good game right? And that's from your very own "bust" Chris Long last week. Those last two stats go to show that he's getting closer and closer to the QB.

      The main problem that he is a Left End, playing Right End. He isn't equipped to play RE in the NFL, not his style. But the problem is, you can't not play him because of his skill, and Little is about to that age where he is going to retire, so it's a lost cause to make him adjust to a new position when you'll benefit none. Long and Little are our best rushers, and can't be sitting. And I assume why that's why Long isn't at LE right now.

      Michael Strahan played RE for a bit in the NFL, and was no good, didn't pressure the QB, and didn't get sacks. He came in as a LE and was played at the RE. The fans called for his head and labeled him a bust, the Giants then moved him to his natural LE position, and history is history.


      Point is, Chris Long isn't a bust. A bust is someone who makes no plays, and plays horribly. And the truth is, Chris Long is playing the run pretty damn good, and his pass rush skills are improving. If we moved him to LE, and they have played him at LE, and he's gotten closer each time to getting a sack, his stats would improve.


      I don't get why people label him a bust, when he isn't.
      Voice of reason. Someone who really knows what is going on.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

        Amen brother!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

          Chris Long has better teeth than Michael Strahan.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

            Great post man!

            Looks like you have been watching the games this year. haha

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

              Chris Long is not a bust. The problem many have is that they expect him to be more of an impact guy as a 2nd overall pick. And no matter how you sugar coat it by talking about occupying blockers, blah, blah, blah, sacks are a measure of that impact from the defensive end position. When I think of the great defensive ends in the history of the game- Deacon, Youngblood, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, they were sack machines. Excellent players like Fred Dean, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Howie Long, Al "Bubba" Baker et. al. likewise had good sack totals year after year. Long is going to have to develop into a player giving this type of production to justify where he was picked, in my opinion.

              It is still early. He is only in his 2nd season and isn't exactly surrounded by Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier. He is a worker, a high character guy and one who appears to be improving a little bit. Judging him harshly now is a bit unfair and premature for sure.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                its nice to see him finaly coming around.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                  Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                  Chris Long is not a bust. The problem many have is that they expect him to be more of an impact guy as a 2nd overall pick. And no matter how you sugar coat it by talking about occupying blockers, blah, blah, blah, sacks are a measure of that impact from the defensive end position. When I think of the great defensive ends in the history of the game- Deacon, Youngblood, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, they were sack machines. Excellent players like Fred Dean, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Howie Long, Al "Bubba" Baker et. al. likewise had good sack totals year after year. Long is going to have to develop into a player giving this type of production to justify where he was picked, in my opinion.

                  It is still early. He is only in his 2nd season and isn't exactly surrounded by Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier. He is a worker, a high character guy and one who appears to be improving a little bit. Judging him harshly now is a bit unfair and premature for sure.
                  You are exactly right. Was watching the Rams/Titans Super Bowl on tv last night and saw how dominating Kearse was a rookie. Where Long was picked, that is how he should be playing. Long is good against the run, but against the pass he just isn't there yet. Yet being the operative word. I hope he gets there for the Rams sake, but if he doesn't improve against the pass he will be a bust.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                    Originally posted by RF16
                    I don't get why people label him a bust, when he isn't.
                    It's simple really, partner; in today's world of instant gratification some fans believe you are All-Pro on day 1 or you're a bust. Some folks just don't have the patience to understand these things don't always happen overnight.
                    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                      Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
                      You are exactly right. Was watching the Rams/Titans Super Bowl on tv last night and saw how dominating Kearse was a rookie. Where Long was picked, that is how he should be playing. Long is good against the run, but against the pass he just isn't there yet. Yet being the operative word. I hope he gets there for the Rams sake, but if he doesn't improve against the pass he will be a bust.
                      Jevon Kearse is a whole different animal. And didn't Kearse play LE?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                        Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
                        Jevon Kearse is a whole different animal. And didn't Kearse play LE?
                        Kearse is a freak, an anomoly like Lebron James, that only comes along once in a generation (maybe). That Superbowl was Kearse's 24th start that season including the Pre-season and the playoffs, and his motor was redlined the whole time. I hate to love Kearse.

                        Chewing on the Long "issue" is like chewing on jello: what's the point really?
                        A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                          Great post RF16...i totally agree playa

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Six tackles, three quarterback hits and three pressures.

                            Good post. Kid hasnt quit and all of a sudden the way you play is based on how many times you can sack the QB. I've already accepted the fact that we are in our reconstructing years. To bash Chris Long and to run him out of town would be a mistake and its unfair. Ever team goes through its bad times but i do believe we're near the end and just about ready to turn the corner. Rags to Riches, the Cinderella story, we'll get our redemption soon enough. You'll see

                            Comment

                            Related Topics

                            Collapse

                            • DieHardRamsFan1381
                              make or break season for chris long
                              by DieHardRamsFan1381
                              dont get me worng i love chris long but he hasnt really put up a decent season yet. i mean at the end of last season i saw glimpes of how good he can be. but what is holding him back is it the supporting cast around him, the defencive scheme, or what. i mean in college he was a beast. i know the nfl is alot fast gameplay then college. but only 9 sacks in his first 2 seasons. mario williams first 2 seasons he had 18.5 sacks and played for a horrible team,jared allen had 20 in his first to seasons, and dwight freeney 24 sack in 2 seasons. i know chris hasnt had alot of other great players around him but his overall skill he should have know problem to have a 10 sack season. why is leonard little putting up better numbers then long. i mean since 2008 little hasnt played a full season yet puts up more sacks. why is he not an elite defencive end yet
                              -07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
                            • AvengerRam_old
                              Lay off Chris Long already!
                              by AvengerRam_old
                              I am sick of people trying to put Chris Long on the "bust" list of Rams DL draftees. I understand the frustration over guys like Jimmy Kennedy, Damione Lewis, Adam Carriker and Claude Wroten, but Long does not belong with them.

                              Don't get me wrong... he's not an impact player, as one would hope a second overall pick would be.... yet. That's right... yet. Plenty of DEs that became Pro Bowl regulars took 3-4 years to become the dominating players they became.

                              The real issue here is sacks. Fans like sacks. Sacks are easy to evaluate. 10+ sacks, and you're a very good pass rusher. At this point, Long has not developed enough moves to be a guy who gets to the QB on a regular basis. Again, I'd throw in the words "not yet."

                              However, in the meantime, the guy is showing some productivity. After two games, he has 11 tackles. That equates to 88 for a season.

                              Guess how many DEs in the league had 88 tackles last season? That's right... NONE. (Trent Cole lead the league with 77).

                              The Rams have a lot of problems, and a lot of holes. Let's focus on them, and let Chris do his thing.
                              -09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
                            • RamWraith
                              Long limited??
                              by RamWraith
                              Anyone else notice how little Long played on Sunday? If you get a chance go back an watch the film. It was Victor much of the day on the left or right side, with Little coming in on the left on passing downs. Long played only about 20 to 30% of the snaps.

                              Hall / Victor and Long mixed it up on the right side.

                              Long was very effective the time he was in there...just very limited
                              -09-30-2008, 06:25 AM
                            • RamWraith
                              Long Learning Fast
                              by RamWraith
                              Thursday, November 6, 2008
                              By Nick Wagoner
                              Senior Writer

                              Not even a month into his NFL career, Chris Long had read the stories, heard the whispers and committed most of it to memory.

                              Some decided to declare Long a bust before he ever played a regular season NFL snap, saying he was overwhelmed and overrated. Not worthy of the No. 2 pick, others declared.

                              “I read everything and I pay attention to everything,” Long said. “Sometimes for motivation and just because I want to know.”

                              Not that Long needs any additional motivation. The pressure of being the No. 2 pick and signing a contract that rewards you with almost $30 million in guaranteed money brings with it a certain amount of inherent strain anyway.

                              “I’m motivated anyway,” Long said. “I was the No. 2 pick in the draft; I have found a reason to be pissed off every day.”

                              Whatever it is that Long is doing to keep himself fired up to play in every practice and every game seems to be working.

                              At the halfway point of his first NFL season, Long has proved many of the nay sayers wrong. Sure, the sample size of eight NFL games isn’t terribly large but the tape and the numbers certainly don’t lie.

                              Through eight games, Long is first among rookie with four sacks and trails fellow end Leonard Little by just a half of a sack.

                              “Sacks are hard to come by in this league,” Long said. “I am lucky to have four I think. I’m kind of surprised by it. I know how hard they are to come by and just to get pressure is good. You do want to finish off some plays.”

                              But Long’s impact hasn’t been limited to the times he’s brought the quarterback down. In fact, coach Jim Haslett has said Long’s best performance came against Dallas on Oct. 19 when Long hit Cowboys quarterback Brad Johnson five times and didn’t have a sack.

                              In addition to the four sacks, Long has racked up 39 tackles, eight quarterback pressures and a fumble recovery.

                              While those numbers won’t have anyone confusing him for his father Howie, Long is certainly making more of an impact than the doubters had originally thought.

                              “That’s why we drafted him with the second pick in the draft,” Little said. “People criticized that pick but once a player gets comfortable out there and knows what he’s doing and can play off instinct, he’s the type of player that can dominate a game. He’s getting real good. He’s a great asset to our defense.”

                              Considering how far Long has come in one training camp and half of an NFL season, it’s perfectly reasonable to think that he’s only scratching the surface of the type of player he can become.

                              By his own admission, Long was a bit overwhelmed by the transition from college to the NFL.

                              During training camp, Long spent more time thinking on the field than reacting. That was only natural of course...
                              -11-07-2008, 05:14 AM
                            • berg8309
                              Appreciating Chris Long
                              by berg8309
                              I know Long gets a lot of positive comments on these boards, but on the eve of pro bowl selections, I just wanted to point out a few good things regarding our #2 overall pick of 2008.

                              Chris Long doesn't have the gaudy sack numbers, but he still has a lot of sacks. He has 8.5 sacks, which is 20th in the NFL. However what this stat doesn't tell is how Long forces QBs to move into the arms of Hall and Robbins as they try to escape the heat he is bringing. This also forces the QB to move to their left, which for most QBs makes it harder to throw, they'd rather roll right (unless they are left handed).

                              Long also often forces a double team which leaves less blockers on blitzes and makes our overall blitz game much more effective at disrupting the passing game.

                              Speaking of disrupting the passing game, according to Footballoutsiders, Long still leads the league in QB hurries. Which means that despite the fact the sack leader has managed to hit the QB with the ball still in his hand a whole 5.5 more times than Long (Less than once a game), Long is making the QB get rid of the ball and potentially make bad throws more often. Don't forget that part of a sack is coverage, if there is no one to throw to, the QB is much more likely to be sacked.

                              At the end of the day what you see is that, despite the lack of gaudy eye-popping stat numbers that voters and pro-bowl selectors probably look for, Chris Long has been as dominant a pass-rusher as it gets. I doubt Hall or Robbins has the sack numbers they do without Long getting in the QBs face as often as he does.

                              So I guess my point is, if Long doesn't make the pro bowl, it doesn't matter, because what matters is that he is making everyone else on that line better even if he isn't get the numbers to back it up.
                              -12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
                            Working...
                            X