Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

    Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon
    October 20, 2009 8:48 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

    The Rams' trade for Eagles receiver Brandon Gibson will be a success if Gibson helps the team immediately and continues to develop.

    General manager Billy Devaney said as much Tuesday when speaking with 101ESPN St. Louis.

    The Rams would not have sent linebacker Will Witherspoon to the Eagles for a receiver they thought might need three or four weeks to become acclimated, Devaney said. That raises the short-term expectations for Gibson, a rookie who has yet to catch a regular-season pass.

    Devaney pointed to Gibson as a tough player with good hands, good size, slightly above-average speed, good route running and blocking skills. The Rams can use more of those things, for sure.

    On the surface, this move suggests the Rams have given up on this season. I say that because Witherspoon is an established starter, while Gibson hasn't proven anything. But if Devaney is right and Gibson upgrades the offense in the short term, the Rams have made themselves better now and for the future (they also picked up a fifth-round draft choice).

    Witherspoon has two years remaining on his contract. His deal was going to count $6.8 million against the cap in 2010 and $5 million in 2011. Any thoughts that Witherspooon fit the system in St. Louis proved a little off-base. Ken Flajole, the Rams' defensive coordinator, was with Witherspoon in Carolina. That didn't make Witherspoon a player the Rams wanted to build around on defense, particularly at that price. Expect coach Steve Spagnuolo to target another linebacker or two in the next offseason.

  • #2
    Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

    Anyone care to discuss the success rate/liklihood of a rookie receiver "contributing immediately," let alone one that has not been with his team through training camp? Pure salary dump with a bit of upside. Odds of the 5th round pick having actual value are low. Throw in the fact that 2010 looks like an uncapped year and what you have is a pure cash flow issue relating to the value of a team that is for sale.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

      Originally posted by general counsel View Post
      Anyone care to discuss the success rate/liklihood of a rookie receiver "contributing immediately," let alone one that has not been with his team through training camp? Pure salary dump with a bit of upside. Odds of the 5th round pick having actual value are low. Throw in the fact that 2010 looks like an uncapped year and what you have is a pure cash flow issue relating to the value of a team that is for sale.

      ramming speed to all

      general counsel
      My thoughts exactly GC, it's garage sale time at Rams park.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

        I'm all for anything that can help Bulger out. Many fans were screaming for receivers. Spoon was not setting the world on fire after returning to the weakside. I think he is rather easy to replace.


        :helmet:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

          Originally posted by Ferter View Post
          I'm all for anything that can help Bulger out. Many fans were screaming for receivers. Spoon was not setting the world on fire after returning to the weakside. I think he is rather easy to replace.


          :helmet:
          Exactly Ferter. The Rams need WR's more than an aging LB. Witherspoon is 30, and his big contract years are the next two. It's a no brainer really.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

            Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
            Exactly Ferter. The Rams need WR's more than an aging LB. Witherspoon is 30, and his big contract years are the next two. It's a no brainer really.

            He we get rid of an aging player with a big contract and get a pick and a potential solid contributer for the future.

            I think we have the opportunity to have a great offseason.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

              Brandon Gibson better be able to come onto the field and play unlike that other receiver who has been sitting his but on the sidelines taking up cap space and roster room. ( Ruvell Martin)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Sando: Why the Rams parted with Witherspoon

                If Gibson can play, I'm all for the trade. I still like the trade, but I want immediate results.

                Comment

                Loading...
                Working...
                X