• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Butler Is Ready For Indianapolis Colts

James Butler is ready for Indianapolis Colts
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/24/2009

James Butler has gone against Peyton Manning and the high-powered Indianapolis offense just once in his career. It's a game he'd like to forget.

The Colts prevailed 26-21 on Sept. 10, 2006, in East Rutherford, N.J., and Butler — a second-year pro in a reserve safety's role for the New York Giants — dropped what should've been an interception.

On Sunday, Manning and the Colts visit the Edward Jones Dome. Butler will be in the lineup after missing three games because of a knee injury. But if the matchup carries any special meaning for him, Butler isn't tipping his hand.

"It's the NFL; every offense is good," Butler said. "I'm just glad to have the opportunity, and I'm ready to get back."

The signing of Butler as a free agent was one of the Rams' earliest offseason moves after hiring Steve Spagnuolo as head coach. They had spent two seasons together with the Giants, where Spagnuolo was the defensive coordinator.

Not only did Butler fill a need at strong safety, but he brought a detailed knowledge of Spagnuolo's defensive scheme. Craig Dahl filled in nicely the last three weeks, but Butler's experience is invaluable, cornerback Ron Bartell emphasized.

"It's good to have somebody back there who knows the ins and outs of the defense," Bartell said. "We're still learning the defense ourselves, so he can kind of settle us down and get us aligned properly. Having him back is a huge plus for us."

Watching from the sideline was "very tough, but injuries are part of the game," Butler said. "Experience is always good, but you've still got to play the game. That's my mind-set — go out there and play to the best of my ability."

AVERY LOOKS READY

It appears as if Donnie Avery is in and newcomer Brandon Gibson is in limbo as the coaches ponder which four — or possibly five — wide receivers to suit up Sunday.

Avery, who bruised his left hip last week at Jacksonville, was a full participant at practice Friday and pronounced himself ready to go. "No problem at all," he said. "It's a lot better. I'm feeling really fluent out there."

Gibson, a rookie acquired from Philadelphia on Tuesday for linebacker Will Witherspoon, said he feels comfortable enough to contribute Sunday. "The offense is the exact same as in Philadelphia, and I know it," he said. "Hopefully I can make an impact."

If he gets the chance.

"It's probably 50-50," Spagnuolo said. "The other (wideouts) ... kind of stepped it up and had a pretty good week. So that'll be a tough call."

INJURY UPDATES

If James Hall, who was listed as questionable on Friday's injury report with a groin injury, is out Sunday, Victor Adeyanju could squeeze onto the 45-man game-day roster for the first time this year.

"Could be," Spagnuolo said. "You talk about a quality guy. Victor's a good man."

He also led the Rams' defensive linemen in tackles last year but has been among the inactives for all six games so far.

Cornerback Justin King (groin) and wide receiver Ruvell Martin (hamstring) also were questionable. Avery, Butler and guard Richie Incognito (ankle) were probable.

RAM-BLINGS

The Colts are coming off their bye week. ... The Rams have started 12 different quarterbacks since Manning took over in Indianapolis in 1998. He's started all 181 games during his career. ... Former Rams defensive end Jack Youngblood (1971-84) will be introduced during the first quarter Sunday and will sign autographs at the Bud Light Party Zone during halftime. Youngblood, a seven-time Pro Bowler, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001.

Re: James Butler Is Ready For Indianapolis Colts

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Former Rams defensive end Jack Youngblood (1971-84) will be introduced during the first quarter Sunday
    DURING the 1st Quarter?? if so i hope that`s when Manning is on the field..it could un-nerve him...anything for an edge..

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
      Looks Like Quincy Butler Is Next Up As Rams Corner
      by r8rh8rmike
      10.29.2009 3:49 pm
      Looks like Quincy Butler is next up as Rams corner
      By Jim Thomas
      St. Louis Post-Dispatch

As usual, St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said a final decision won’t be made until the end of the week, but it looks like Quincy Butler will step into the starting lineup Sunday at cornerback in place of the injured Bradley Fletcher.

“We may go with Quincy Butler,” Spagnuolo said Thursday. “We’ll make a final decision after tomorrow.”

Butler, no relation to starting safety James Butler, has gotten the lion’s share of the reps with the starters this week in Fletcher’s spot. That leaves Justin King if healthy in the nickel back role. And Jonathan Wade, who started the first four games at right corner, in a reserve role.

After missing the Indianapolis game with a groin injury, King has been listed as “limited participation” on the Rams’ official injury report Wednesday and Thursday.

Butler, a second-year pro from Texas Christian, joined the Rams late last season after being claimed off waivers from Dallas. Limited mainly to special teams work earlier this season, Butler made his first NFL start last Sunday against Indianapolis, but only because the Rams opened in a “dime” defense featuring six defensive backs.

Flecher suffered a season-ending knee injury against the Colts. He underwent surgery Tuesday to repair lateral meniscus cartilage damage in the knee. He will have additional surgery next month to repair anterior cruciate ligament damage in the knee.

* DE James Hall (groin) also was listed as limited participation. DE C.J. Ah You (ankle) and RG Richie Incognito (foot) missed practice.

* DT Clifton Ryan (illness) was sent home and did not practice. Offensive lineman John Greco was back Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice to attend to a family matter.
      -10-29-2009, 04:31 PM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Looks Like SS James Butler's A Go For Sunday
      by r8rh8rmike
      10.22.2009 5:27 pm
      Looks like SS James Butler’s a go for Sunday
      By Jim Thomas
      St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Just in time for Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts, strong safety James Butler is ready to return from a left knee injury. Butler missed three games after suffering a medial collateral ligament injury Sept. 27 against Green Bay.

Butler was full participation in practice again on Thursday, so barring a setback at the end of the week, he’s expected to be back in the starting lineup Sunday against Indianapolis.

“He brings the experience, and the confidence that the guys have in him making the calls,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

Craig Dahl played well in Butler’s absence, and will still see action in some of the Rams’ other defensive alignments, most notably the “dime” package.

“It’s kind of nice that Craig now has some plays under his belt with this group,” Spagnuolo said. “So I think the defense feels comfortable with either one of those guys being in there, which is huge.”

* No Hall: DE James Hall (groin) didn’t practice for the second day in a row, casting doubt on his availibility for the Colts. Chris Long would start in his place.

* Avery Limited: After sitting out Wednesday’s practice, WR Donnie Avery (hip) saw limited action on Thursday. He seemed to be running pretty well, although he came up gimpy after diving for a deep ball on one play.

* More injury/illness updates: Rookie DT Darell Scott was back at practice Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice because of a stomach virus. Nickel back Justin King (groin) and WR Ruvell Martin (hamstring) had limited participation Thursday. CB Ron Bartell (concussion) and RG Richie Incognito (ankle) had full participation.

* Even though No. 2 overall draft pick Jason Smith is healthy, it looks like Adam Goldberg will start once again at right tackle against Indy. Smith continues to work at both left and right tackle. Against the Colts, it’s possible Smith will rotate in again at right tackle _ as he did last week in Jacksonville _ or even at left tackle with Alex Barron.
      -10-22-2009, 04:16 PM
    • RamWraith
      Butler's Work not Done
      by RamWraith
      Wednesday, March 11, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
      Senior Writer

Deep beyond the smiling face and pleasant demeanor, James Butler is burning. Since the weekend of April 23 and 24, 2005, Butler has carried this with him as motivation.

After an accomplished career at Georgia Tech, Butler watched idly as 20 safeties came off the draft board. Expecting to be selected at some point, Butler couldn’t believe that his name was never called.

“It was very tough,” Butler said. “Just to watch some of the guys going before me, I was like ‘Man, these guys aren’t better than me.” I think every player goes through that. Every player has things they have to go through. I went through that and I just have to go with the punches that were dealt and that’s what happened.”

Instead of worrying about what didn’t happen, Butler decided to focus on making his own luck. He signed with the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent on May 6.

Fast forward four years to Wednesday and here’s Butler sitting at a table, addressing the St. Louis media after inking a lucrative four-year contract to become the team’s starting strong safety.

It was a day that seemed so far away on that April weekend.

“It helped my motivation,” Butler said. “I think that’s the biggest thing. Every player has a motivation whether they are trying to provide for their family, whatever it is. That was my motivation.”

Butler’s journey from undrafted free agent to successful, starting NFL safety isn’t necessarily an unusual tale. Plenty of players have worked hard enough to make an impression and stick on NFL rosters.

Not many have done it with the quick level of success of Butler, though. That it happened with the Rams is little surprise.

After battling his way on to the roster as a rookie, Butler spent two years under relative anonymity, contributing mostly on special teams with the occasional appearance on the defense.

Following his second season in New York, the Giants hired a new fire brand defensive coordinator named Steve Spagnuolo.

Spagnuolo gave Butler his first starting opportunity in 2007 and Butler rewarded that confidence with a solid first year including a team leading nine tackles in the team’s stunning Super Bowl XLII victory against the Patriots.

That relationship with Spagnuolo only grew last year and when Spagnuolo accepted the head coach position in St. Louis in the same winter that Butler was due for unrestricted free agency, the next stop of Butler’s career seemed clear.

“I think it was the biggest part of the decision,” Butler said. “Coach ‘Spags’ gave me my first opportunity to be a starter in the league and he helped my career grow, so I felt that I wanted to go along with him with the Rams.”

Of course, it takes two to make a deal but Spagnuolo wanted...
      -03-12-2009, 04:19 AM
    • RamWraith
      Minicamp: Butler must stay in waiting game
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      Saturday, Jun. 10 2006

In terms of impressing the Rams' new coaching staff, this weekend's full-squad
      minicamp was supposed to be Jerametrius Butler's coming-out party.

Hold that thought. After missing the entire 2005 season with a right knee
      injury, Butler had his comeback sidetracked when he tweaked his left hamstring
      two weeks ago. On Friday, coach Scott Linehan referred to the injury as a
      slight tear.

"Another injury," Butler said. "I really wanted to get out there and show the
      guys that I'm capable of playing the way I used to in the past - and even
      better. So it's another setback."

Butler underwent knee surgery 10 months ago to repair a torn ligament. After
      months of recovery and rehab, he was finally cleared to practice in mid-May.
      But during his second week of participation in the light practices known as OTA
      (organized team activity), Butler tweaked his hamstring before the Memorial Day
      weekend.

"I was breaking on a pass," Butler said. "Actually, I was covering Kevin
      Curtis. I think he pushed off. He kind of did it."

Just kidding. After a short pause, Butler playfully added: "No. I'm just
      playing. It's a freak accident. ... It's frustrating because I want to get out
      there. I want to be out there making plays. It's hard sitting out there
      watching Torry (Holt) and Isaac (Bruce) making catches, talking noise. I want
      to be out there competing against them, getting better. But I've got to wait."

Exactly how much longer But-ler must wait is uncertain. He did some individual
      drill work at the start of minicamp Friday morning but then shut it down.

"I was testing it, but I'm not 'full-go,'" Butler said. "I can't stretch it out
      all the way."

Following the weekend minicamp, the Rams have only one week of OTAs remaining
      before taking a 5 1/2-week break. So Butler in all likelihood must wait until
      late July to get back out on the practice field at training camp.

"I'll listen to my body," Butler said. "My body will let me know when I'm ready
      to go."

On the one hand, Butler has time on his hands with training camp still a month
      and a half away. On the other hand, hamstring injuries can be tricky. It's not
      unusual for players to think they're healthy, then go out and aggravate the
      injury, leading to further down time. So for now, team medical officials feel
      it's better to err on the side of caution.

"They don't want to risk having me go into training camp with a sore
      hamstring," Butler said. "Because by then, the season's...
      -06-10-2006, 05:08 AM
    • RamWraith
      Rams are not in Butler's corner
      by RamWraith
      By Jim Thomas
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      10/06/2006

Back in April, Jerametrius Butler sounded almost defiant when quizzed about the arrival of free-agent cornerback Fakhir Brown.

"There's two corners -- left and right -- and I know I'm going to be on the left side," Butler said at the time.

His pride was showing in those remarks, which was understandable. Before missing the entire 2005 season with a right knee injury, Butler had been a two-year starter for the Rams.

In 2003, he shared the team lead in interceptions (four). In 2004, he accounted for five of the Rams' league-low six interceptions and finished second among league DBs with 22 breakups.
      Advertisement

But with the exception of three exhibitions in August, Butler hasn't seen the field on game day since '04. Brown and Travis Fisher won the starting corner jobs in training camp. First-round draft pick Tye Hill won the third corner job in the nickel package. That made Butler the odd man out.

But the real shocker came on game day once the regular-season started: Butler has been among the Rams' pregame inactives in all four games.

"I was surprised a long time ago," Butler said. "But this is Week 5. I haven't played yet. I just come in Wednesday to Friday, get my work in, give the offense a look, then I'm done."

So what's going on?

"You've got to ask the coaches," Butler said. "I don't know. I just come to work."

"Just be consistent in practice," coach Scott Linehan said. "Being able to find more ways to help. Special teams being one of them."

For Butler, the pride of last spring has given way to the frustration of the fall.

"It's tough," Butler said. "The coaches told me the only way I'll play is if somebody gets hurt. ... I guess I've got to wait until somebody gets hurt. Maybe I'll go run them over with my car or something, so I can play."

He was just kidding, obviously, about the car.

"I don't want to do that," he said, laughing.

Butler says his surgically repaired knee hasn't been a problem since he was cleared to practice full-go in May. A hamstring injury, which bothered him in May as well as early in training camp, no longer is an issue, either. "I'm good," he said. "There's nothing wrong with me."

But once Hill earned the job in the nickel package, there really was nowhere for Butler to play. On game day, the coaching staff has decided to dress only three true corners: Brown, Fisher, and Hill. Backup safety Jerome Carter is the dime back. Ron Bartell can swing between safety and corner, while helping on special teams.

All of which has left Butler in street clothes during games....
      -10-06-2006, 05:02 AM
    Working...
    X