• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Team Report - Oct 27

Rams Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports - Oct 27, 1:50 am EDT

INSIDE SLANT

After the Rams lost to the Colts 42-6 Sunday, coach Steve Spagnuolo was most disappointed by what he believed was the team disintegrating in the fourth quarter, especially the defense. Late in the third quarter, the Rams trailed 21-6, but an interception return for a touchdown made the score 28-6, and the Colts added two fourth-quarter scores for the final count.

Said Spagnuolo, "The first three quarters I thought we battled really hard against a good football team. That team over there is good. We all know that. They've got skill everywhere. They've been doing it for a long time. But (for) three quarters I think we all felt and believed we could possibly pull that thing off and win the game.

"Now the fourth quarter was different. It was disappointing. They made some plays. Things kind of fell apart. That's not us. We haven't seen that before. We've got to get back to what we're doing, which is just battling and playing hard."

Monday, however, Spagnuolo amended his thoughts somewhat. "After the game, I thought it was the whole quarter. Really, it was about three minutes that we played with not quite the intensity we had had. That has not been this team."

Spagnuolo knows he has a task ahead, keeping his team's head up, as the record has hit 0-7.

The Rams have lost 17 consecutive games, and this season they have had four games where they have scored fewer than 10 points, and been outscored overall 211-60, including 117-23 after halftime. In their home games, against Green Bay, Minnesota and Indianapolis, the count overall is 116-33.

Of the 53 players on the roster Sunday, 26 joined the team this year. With Detroit the next opponent on the road, Spagnuolo was asked how far away the Rams are from beating a team like Indianapolis.

Said Spagnuolo, "Well, we got some work to do there. That's a guess, (but) I feel like what we've got here and what we're doing, the attitude of the guys, I mean I believe that's how you build it. And I believe when you get over the hump and you get that win, we're looking for consistent winning. We're not looking to just get one win, we don't want to do this (motions up and down). So we keep trying to build it the way we build it and I do think there's some pieces there. When you go up against a team like this you need a few more pieces."

NOTES & QUOTES

—Rams players didn't disagree with coach Steve Spagnuolo's comments about the fourth-quarter problems.

Said safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, "We just didn't fight as hard in the fourth quarter as we had in the previous three, which is a little disappointing."

Added cornerback Ron Bartell, "You're getting paid to play. You have a responsibility to one another to play hard every play. I just don't think in the fourth quarter we can let what happened happen."

On a general note, running back Steven Jackson said, "We're playing good football here and there; we have spurts of it. We have to learn how to put four quarters of good football together, go back to the drawing board and learn how to win games. That's what the biggest issue is right now. We don't know how to win a game right now."

Running back Steven Jackson totaled 134 yards on 23 carries Sunday, including nine attempts for 95 yards in the third quarter when he had seven rushes of nine yards or more. However, all it led to was one third-quarter field goal. Jackson has yet to score a rushing touchdown this season.

Asked after the game, about not scoring this season, Jackson said, "Excuse me. Excuse me. We're 0-7 right now. And I'm just focused on getting this team turned around. … There's 53 men on this team."

When asked how difficult it is to stay focused and how he approaches the difficult period the Rams are in, Jackson said, "Take a deep breath. You've got to start with yourself first. If you don't believe - it's hard to sell something you don't believe in. So I have to just go out there and run hard. And continue to show guys that I'm fighting for each and every yard in each and every game."

Re: Rams Team Report - Oct 27

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Asked after the game, about not scoring this season, Jackson said, "Excuse me. Excuse me. We're 0-7 right now. And I'm just focused on getting this team turned around. … There's 53 men on this team."
    Wow! Good on you big man, thats the spirit.
    We are in a tough phase, as soon as we pass this slump, this team will develop more confidence and chemisty.
    even though we are 0-7, i trust Spags (except shurmer ;))

Forever a rams fan
    JAX39

Comment

Re: Rams Team Report - Oct 27

I love Steven Jackson.

Continue...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• eldfan
        Rams still trying to get over hump
        by eldfan
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        11/24/2009 By Jim Thomas

The Rams lost in overtime at Jacksonville, won at Detroit and had the ball at the end against New Orleans and Arizona with a chance to win or force overtime. The only blowout over the last six Sundays has been the 42-6 loss Oct. 25 against an Indianapolis team that remains unbeaten four weeks later.

But on a weekend when two of the NFL's lesser lights, Kansas City and Oakland, sprung upsets over playoff contenders, the Rams could only come close — once again — in a 21-13 loss Sunday to Arizona.

"There's going to be a point when this team is going to get over that (hump)," defensive end Leonard Little said. "It's going to happen."
        But when?

"We've got to pick up our learning curve because there's only six weeks left in the season," defensive tackle Clifton Ryan said. "We don't want to be sitting here at Week 15, Week 16, talking about turning the corner. We've got to turn it now. From top to bottom, from 1 down to 53 (on the roster), we've got to turn the corner."

On paper, there may be no better opportunity than this Sunday's game against Seattle. Yes, the Seahawks have won nine straight against the Rams, including a 28-0 whitewash on opening day of this season. But they've lost seven of nine since that contest and come to town with a 3-7 record.

"There's a silver lining to everything," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I think the team is getting to the point where we're in those games."

After a horrendous first half Sunday, the Rams were able to make it a one-possession game. Apparently there was more to their second-half revival than just the absence of Kurt Warner in the Arizona lineup.

"I liked the way the team was a halftime," Spagnuolo said. "I liked the way we came out, the fact that we got ourselves back in the football game. ... All that's good. We need to continue to do that, and like I told the team (Monday) morning, we've got to get the football right. We've got to get the football things, the details, so that all these little things that keep coming up that lead to us not being ahead, or not winning the game, are erased."

Things got intense in the Rams' locker room at halftime, with the team trailing 21-3. Little and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe got vocal, challenging the team — and each other — to pick up their play.

"It was an intense thing because we're not playing like we're capable of playing and everybody knows that," Little said. "It was like a sense of urgency that went on at that time. It happens that way in football because guys want to win. And guys want to be able to compete with the upper-echelon teams. In the second quarter, we really didn't. They had their way with us a little bit."

At least two Rams,...
        -11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Rams Focus On Staying United
        by r8rh8rmike
        Rams Focus on Staying United
        Monday, October 5, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
        Senior Writer

As the clock wound down on the Rams’ loss to San Francisco on Sunday, running back Steven Jackson made it a point to provide some obvious leadership to his young teammates.

No, Jackson didn’t return to the sideline yelling and screaming. He didn’t get a silly penalty to try to prove some sort of toughness, either.

Instead, Jackson did what he always does. When the ball was handed to him, he ran as hard as he could. Regardless of the score, Jackson kept grinding away against a San Francisco defense that had fully committed to trying to slow him down.

In the process, Jackson knowingly sent a message to his teammates that quitting is never an option.

“That last drive I was able to be in, I just tried to run with a different determination, not to say that I was holding anything back, but you have got to understand that when you are down like we were you don’t give up,” Jackson said. “We are professional football players and we are expected to execute. We are going to lose battles out there but within those battles you cannot lose yourself in the game. We have to continue to fight no matter what the scoreboard says.”

Now four games in to the 2009 season, the Rams have reached the quarter pole of the first season under coach Steve Spagnuolo.

While that opening stretch hasn’t resulted yet in a victory, Spagnuolo and locker room leaders such as Jackson are doing everything they can to keep the ship headed in the right direction.

For the league’s fourth-youngest team (average age of right around 26), the rebuilding process can be slow and painful. And when dealing with youth and inexperience, it’s imperative for the people who have been around – the veterans and the coaching staff – to keep hammering away at the details until they become second nature.

It’s a painstaking process but it must be done. And though Spagnuolo can’t send any messages with his play on the field, it is his job to continue to take the temperature of his team and find ways to keep everyone’s head focused on moving on to the next step and not allowing any losses to fester.

“I believe in this group,” Spagnuolo said. We can get out of this and work our way out of this. It’s going to take a lot of work. Nothing I am going to say is going to be different than what I have been saying all year long. Those games are done, we move on to Minnesota. We try to learn from it and we try to get better as a football team.”

Indeed, Spagnuolo has been true to his message from day one, never altering the tone or even the volume of what he wants to convey to his team even in the face of adversity.

Following Sunday’s loss to San Francisco in which many of the problems that have plagued the Rams in the...
        -10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
      • eldfan
        Rams Building Recipe for Late Season Success
        by eldfan
        Rams Building Recipe for Late Season Success
        By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

As one of the people in the Rams locker room with experience playing big games in December, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo knows plenty about what it takes not only to play in those contests but also what it takes to win them.

And though the recipe for late season, playoff push success doesn’t require anyone to re-invent the wheel, it’s a recipe that not every team has.

While Spagnuolo’s 2010 Rams are still putting all of those ingredients together, Sunday’s 19-6 win against the Cardinals in Arizona gave his team an idea of what it’s going to take down the stretch to reach the postseason.

In a locker room that following wins has been alternately joyous, boisterous and downright giddy, the feeling after Sunday’s victory was much more businesslike and blue collar.

“That’s a good sign,” Spagnuolo said. “That’s how it should be. Because as soon as you wake up the next day it’s on to the next one. That’s what this business is all about. You get too wrapped up in yesterday you miss out on today’s opportunity so the players have been good like that to their credit. That’s a big time compliment for this team.”

Following Sunday’s win and all of the action that took place around the league on Sunday, the Rams remain in a tie for first place with Seattle at 6-6 and riding a two-game road winning streak heading into a difficult matchup this weekend at New Orleans.

There’s no doubting that taking on the Saints will be a tall order, especially at the Superdome, but Spagnuolo believes that if you look closer at how his team won against the Cardinals, you can see the signs of a team that understands what it takes to win those types of games against good teams.

Almost from the day he was named head coach, Spagnuolo has emphasized the fundamentals of the game and doing all of the little things necessary to get wins. That means limiting penalties, winning the turnover battle, converting on third down on offense and getting off the field on third down on defense.

In Sunday’s win, all of those details broke the Rams way. They were penalized just twice for 15 yards. They turned the ball over just once and came up with a pair of takeaways. They converted six-of-17 on third down and held the Cardinals to just one third-down conversion in 11 tries.

“We do always talk about winning the turnover ratio and protecting the football, especially at this time of year,” Spagnuolo said. “But I am probably most proud of the football team if the lack of penalties is a reflection of disciplined football that’s a good thing. Smart, tough football, when you play it together usually you have got a chance to win some football games.”

Those are some of the more tangible elements needed to win, especially late in the season but there are...
        -12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
      • eldfan
        St. Louis Rams suffer 17th loss in a row
        by eldfan
        St. Louis Rams suffer 17th loss in a row

By Chris Lee/P-D)BY JIM THOMAS
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
        10/26/2009

After being knocked to the canvas by a couple of Peyton Manning lightning bolts, the Rams picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, and hung in there — kind of — for nearly three quarters.

But then Marc Bulger threw what looked like a late sideline pass toward Keenan Burton. Indianapolis rookie cornerback Jacob Lacey guessed right, jumped the route, and made his first NFL interception a memorable one.

Lacey raced 35 yards for a touchdown, giving Indianapolis a 28-6 lead with one minute to play in the third quarter. You could almost hear a collective sigh from the St. Louis bench after that one.

On the ensuing kickoff the Rams marched 51 yards to the Indianapolis 11, when Bulger threw a second interception — this one in traffic — on a fourth-down pass intended for Burton.

The fans, even the thousands of happy Colts fans on hand at the Edward Jones Dome, headed to the exits. The Rams seemed to check out as well, particularly on defense. Gridiron psychology is tricky business, but it had all the looks of a fourth-quarter letdown — the first time anything like that has happened under rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo.

And that's what most disappointed the beleaguered Spagnuolo after Sunday's 42-6 loss to the mighty Colts.

"The first three quarters I thought we battled really hard against a good football team," Spagnuolo said. "That team over there is good. We all know that. They've got skill everywhere. They've been doing it for a long time. But (for) three quarters I think we all felt and believed we could possibly pull that thing off and win the game."

Wishful thinking? Probably. But at least the Rams were in the same ZIP code as the Colts on the scoreboard for three quarters.

"Now the fourth quarter was different," Spagnuolo said. "It was disappointing. They made some plays. Things kind of fell apart."

Publicly at least, Spagnuolo has said nary a discouraging word about his winless team, trying to accentuate the positive. So in that context, his fourth quarter "critique" was very telling, the first sign perhaps that the losing is starting to wear on the team.

Referring again to the fourth quarter, Spagnuolo said: "That's not us. We haven't seen that before. We've got to get back to what we're doing, which is just battling and playing hard."

Until Lacey's "pick six," Bulger had thrown only one interception in 125 passes this season. Beginning with Lacey's interception, Bulger threw two INTs in a span of seven throws.

The second interception, by cornerback Kelvin Hayden, took some life out of the Rams. Indy drove 93 yards after that turnover, with Manning...
        -10-26-2009, 04:56 AM
      • MauiRam
        Burwell: OK, Rams won one; coach is moving on ..
        by MauiRam
        BY BRYAN BURWELL Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:15 am

As he stood in front of the cramped media workroom at Rams Park, barely a minute into his Monday afternoon briefing, Steve Spagnuolo did a rather peculiar thing. After 11 long, agonizing months without a victory, on his first victorious Monday in 330 days, the Rams coach spent all of 50 breathless seconds basking in the glow of his young football team's performance.

Seriously, that's it. Fifty seconds. I clocked it down to the second.

He gushed about his players, praised his coaches and complimented the fans who had cheered all day long on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome with a big ol' smile on his face. But it was almost like he was speed reading through the high-five line after a game.

Whooooooosh!!!! Gooood game.... goood game.... goood game.... gooooood game...Whooooooshh!

And then right in mid-sentence, Spagnuolo cast a quick glance at his wrist watch and paused for a quick second.

"... Having said all that, and I'll be reminding the team, it's just one win. It was a regular season win in the third game of the season and real quickly here, in maybe five minutes, we move on to the next one. So we'll be looking forward to Seattle."

He wasn't being rude.

He was just trying to make a rather significant point.

The expiration date on that 30-16 victory over Washington had passed, and just in case anyone forgot, Spagnuolo wanted to make sure everyone remembered.

What Spagnuolo understands is the delicate emotional dance that goes on as you try to rebuild a winning psyche from the ground up. When someone asked the coach what this victory could mean to his young team, Spags shrugged his shoulders. "It can go one way or another, to be quite honest with you," he said. "I'm hoping the guys handle it right."

It can't be emphasized enough that we still don't know what happened Sunday. Only time will tell if it was the start of something special for Spagnuolo's football team. A teachable moment, they like to call it in coaching circles. Something to point back to as that blissful moment when the lights went on and everyone finally and without reservation bought into Spagnuolo's program.

After the game, you could see how good it felt to his players to get this victory. You could see just how much it mattered to them, and how much different it felt around that locker room from a year ago.

"Last year we hoped we could win games," said Ron Bartell, "but we didn't KNOW we could win games. Now we do know we can, and we expect to win every week instead of hoping we can."

But expecting to win and actually winning are two different things. It's only the first step in the process, but a significant one. Before you can achieve the dream, you have to...
        -09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
      Working...
      X