• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks Like Quincy Butler Is Next Up As Rams Corner

10.29.2009 3:49 pm
    Looks like Quincy Butler is next up as Rams corner
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

As usual, St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said a final decision won’t be made until the end of the week, but it looks like Quincy Butler will step into the starting lineup Sunday at cornerback in place of the injured Bradley Fletcher.

“We may go with Quincy Butler,” Spagnuolo said Thursday. “We’ll make a final decision after tomorrow.”

Butler, no relation to starting safety James Butler, has gotten the lion’s share of the reps with the starters this week in Fletcher’s spot. That leaves Justin King if healthy in the nickel back role. And Jonathan Wade, who started the first four games at right corner, in a reserve role.

After missing the Indianapolis game with a groin injury, King has been listed as “limited participation” on the Rams’ official injury report Wednesday and Thursday.

Butler, a second-year pro from Texas Christian, joined the Rams late last season after being claimed off waivers from Dallas. Limited mainly to special teams work earlier this season, Butler made his first NFL start last Sunday against Indianapolis, but only because the Rams opened in a “dime” defense featuring six defensive backs.

Flecher suffered a season-ending knee injury against the Colts. He underwent surgery Tuesday to repair lateral meniscus cartilage damage in the knee. He will have additional surgery next month to repair anterior cruciate ligament damage in the knee.

* DE James Hall (groin) also was listed as limited participation. DE C.J. Ah You (ankle) and RG Richie Incognito (foot) missed practice.

* DT Clifton Ryan (illness) was sent home and did not practice. Offensive lineman John Greco was back Thursday after missing Wednesday’s practice to attend to a family matter.

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Butler out for the season
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/17/2005

Rams starting cornerback Jerametrius Butler has decided to have surgery on his right knee, which will sideline him for the entire season. Butler suffered a torn posterior cruciate ligament on July 28, the first day of training camp at Rams Park.

Butler was in New York earlier this week seeking a second opinion on whether he should have the operation or try to strengthen the joint and play this year. He said he decided Wednesday morning to undergo surgery. It will be performed Monday in New York. DeJuan Groce, a third-year pro from Nebraska, is expected to take Butler's spot in the lineup.
    -08-17-2005, 02:44 PM
  • RamWraith
    Minicamp: Butler must stay in waiting game
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Jun. 10 2006

In terms of impressing the Rams' new coaching staff, this weekend's full-squad
    minicamp was supposed to be Jerametrius Butler's coming-out party.

Hold that thought. After missing the entire 2005 season with a right knee
    injury, Butler had his comeback sidetracked when he tweaked his left hamstring
    two weeks ago. On Friday, coach Scott Linehan referred to the injury as a
    slight tear.

"Another injury," Butler said. "I really wanted to get out there and show the
    guys that I'm capable of playing the way I used to in the past - and even
    better. So it's another setback."

Butler underwent knee surgery 10 months ago to repair a torn ligament. After
    months of recovery and rehab, he was finally cleared to practice in mid-May.
    But during his second week of participation in the light practices known as OTA
    (organized team activity), Butler tweaked his hamstring before the Memorial Day
    weekend.

"I was breaking on a pass," Butler said. "Actually, I was covering Kevin
    Curtis. I think he pushed off. He kind of did it."

Just kidding. After a short pause, Butler playfully added: "No. I'm just
    playing. It's a freak accident. ... It's frustrating because I want to get out
    there. I want to be out there making plays. It's hard sitting out there
    watching Torry (Holt) and Isaac (Bruce) making catches, talking noise. I want
    to be out there competing against them, getting better. But I've got to wait."

Exactly how much longer But-ler must wait is uncertain. He did some individual
    drill work at the start of minicamp Friday morning but then shut it down.

"I was testing it, but I'm not 'full-go,'" Butler said. "I can't stretch it out
    all the way."

Following the weekend minicamp, the Rams have only one week of OTAs remaining
    before taking a 5 1/2-week break. So Butler in all likelihood must wait until
    late July to get back out on the practice field at training camp.

"I'll listen to my body," Butler said. "My body will let me know when I'm ready
    to go."

On the one hand, Butler has time on his hands with training camp still a month
    and a half away. On the other hand, hamstring injuries can be tricky. It's not
    unusual for players to think they're healthy, then go out and aggravate the
    injury, leading to further down time. So for now, team medical officials feel
    it's better to err on the side of caution.

"They don't want to risk having me go into training camp with a sore
    hamstring," Butler said. "Because by then, the season's...
    -06-10-2006, 06:08 AM
  • Nick
    Butler may need season-ending surgery
    by Nick
    Butler might need surgery
    By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Thursday, Aug. 11 2005

What originally was diagnosed as a bruised knee could be a season-ending injury
    for Rams cornerback Jerametrius Butler.

Further examination has revealed that Butler has a torn posterior cruciate
    ligament in his right knee. According to coach Mike Martz, Butler is facing two
    options:

* Try to strengthen the knee and play through the injury.

* Undergo season-ending surgery.

"He's leaning toward playing right now," Martz said Thursday. "The doctors have
    told him he can - he's just going to have to really rehab it. Or he can have
    surgery and repair it. So he's got a choice. He and I have talked a great deal
    about it."

With encouragement from Martz, Butler is seeking other medical opinions before
    making a final decision.

"The first thing you do on something like that, you go and get several opinions
    - just like anybody would," Martz said. "If you're diagnosed with anything,
    that's what you do. And this is serious."

Losing Butler for any length of time, much less the entire season, would be a
    blow for the St. Louis defense. A two-year starter in the secondary, Butler has
    developed into an above-average cover corner, with good instincts and good ball
    skills.

Last season, he led the turnover-impaired Rams defense with five interceptions.
    (The Rams had only six interceptions total.) In 2003, he tied for the team lead
    with four interceptions.

Butler feels no discomfort running forward. But backpedaling has been a
    problem.

"At that position, a little bit of looseness in the knee is going to bother you
    more than it would a receiver, just because of the backpedaling," Martz said.
    "There's a lot of players playing in the league right now with this (injury). A
    lot of them. We've got a lot of them on this team playing with it. But they're
    not DBs, and that's the issue. Obviously, he's very concerned."

If Butler decides against surgery, Martz isn't ready to rule him out of the
    regular-season opener Sept. 11 in San Francisco.

"Not necessarily," Martz said. "It just kind of depends on what these other
    doctors says, too. Our doctors felt that he could rehab it and play on it. He's
    going to have to understand, it's going to feel real loose. ... That's why he's
    got to spend a lot of time really strengthening that leg and tightening it up."

Butler suffered the injury on the first day of camp, July 28, and hasn't
    practiced since July 29. Butler's injury, coupled with Tuesday's release...
    -08-11-2005, 10:29 PM
  • Nick
    Butler to Have Season-Ending Surgery - Wagoner
    by Nick
    Butler to Have Season-Ending Surgery
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Jerametrius Butler’s 2005 season is over with before it ever got started.

On Wednesday morning, Butler elected to have surgery on the torn posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. The surgery will be done by Dr. Riley Williams III in New York on Monday at 8 a.m.

That surgery will signal the end of Butler’s year.

“He’s going to have surgery on the knee so obviously he is done for the year,” Coach Mike Martz said. “It will take about four months to recover and rehab that thing.

I just feel bad for J.B. I really do. He really was at the point where he was an exceptional player and was really looking forward to the season and that’s devastating to anybody. It’s hard; it’s really hard for J.B.”

Butler seemed to be in OK spirits Wednesday morning after coming to terms with his decision. The decision was not an easy one for Butler because there are athletes in the NFL that have played with the same injury.

The Giants’ Tiki Barber has played through a similar injury and played well, but Barber is a running back, a far cry from Butler’s cornerback position. With this injury, a player can run forward essentially pain free. That put less stress on the injury which is in the back of the knee.

But there is a big difference between running forward as a running back and cutting side to side and turning out of breaks as a cornerback.

“I tried to go, but some players have a PCL tear and they don’t play corner,” Butler said. “I need my leg. I backpedal, I have to plant going 100 miles an hour and without a PCL I can’t do that. I can move laterally, it’s when I backpedal or I break anyway. I can run forward fine. I can beat half of ya’ll right now. But I have to backpedal to do my job. I can’t do my job correctly without my PCL.”

Butler could actually do his job without his PCL if he had to cover members of the St. Louis media, but with the likes of Anquan Boldin, Darrell Jackson and all of the Colts’ stallions on the schedule, Butler couldn’t afford to risk playing. Had he tried to play, he might have given up some costly touchdowns, but the bigger risk was the possibility of further injury.

“His position is so unique at corner that the feeling by the doctors is to keep it stable and backpedal and plant he is going to have some difficulty with it so he’ll go ahead and do the surgery,” Martz said.

Butler injured the knee in the Rams’ first practice of training camp on July 28 on a normal play. Butler felt the knee give way, but continued to play, thinking that the injury wasn’t that bad.

But after practice he went to the training staff and complained about the pain in his knee. The staff recommended that he have an MRI done and Butler complied. In the...
    -08-17-2005, 04:10 PM
  • Alec22
    James butler
    by Alec22
    Where is he? Why is dahl playing so much, And what happened to wade???

Sorry Iv watched every play this year, but no audio...
    -10-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Working...
X