• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Jackson Makes His Peace With Linehan

11.05.2009 9:57 am
    Steven Jackson makes his peace with Linehan
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

During the usual postgame mingling with the opposing team, St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson made sure he found Scott Linehan last Sunday at Ford Field.

“I just wished Coach Linehan the best in his future,” Jackson said. “I just wanted to let him know that I really had no gripes. I really don’t dislike him. He did wonders for me during the holdout.

“A lot of people don’t know, when we were at a stalemate in conversation in the holdout, Coach Linehan is the person that really broke the ice. And I wanted to personally thank him and just let him know that I wish him the best in whatever he does.”

Now the offensive coordinator in Detroit, Linehan was fired 13 months ago in St. Louis four games into his third season as Rams head coach. Jackson, who had been critical of Linehan’s benching of quarterback Marc Bulger last season, missed training camp and the preseason in ‘08 because of a contract holdout.

Re: Steven Jackson Makes His Peace With Linehan

Good to see that he doesn't hold grudges. We need good player morale in the locker room and Jaxx is perfect. Good sportsmanship Steven!

Comment

Um...Scott who?

Comment

Glad to see no hard feelings between them.
        I wonder if Bulger said anything to him? They really didn't seem too fond of each other there for a time, lol.

Comment

No hard feelings? He dismantled the team. I think he was secretly working for the Whiners...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsSB99
            Is Jackson happier with Linehan?
            by RamsSB99
            I seem to remember Jackson talking about how he did not like his previous coaches style. The Rams went from Faulk who was more of a receiving scat back to Jackson who was more of a power back. Do you think Jackson had reason to be upset with his previous coach. Do you think he was utilized poorly or do you think Jackson was just a complainer and they used him properly?
            Yes
            68.00%
            No
            32.00%
            -01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
          • RamFan_Til_I_Die
            Meet The Rams
            by RamFan_Til_I_Die
            Meet The Rams
            September 6, 2008
            By: JOE DOLAN

With as much as "The Greatest Show on Turf" has been scaled back quite a bit in the past few seasons, imagine what it would have been like if it lost its Human Cannonball, too.

The St. Louis Rams, purveyors of the prolific offense in the early 21st century, almost had to deal with the very real possibility of running back Steven Jackson holding out into the season, until the star signed a lucrative five-year contract just a few weeks ago. Though injuries mainly derailed the Rams' train into a 3-13 ditch in 2007, a healthy offense without Jackson would have found it quite difficult to back out of it.

That's why the bruising Jackson, known for his tendency to literally run defenders over and wear them down, should be featured in a full workload on Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field, despite a relative lack of practice time during the offseason.

Though the Rams' tracks are on a quick mend, the Eagles' defense shoulders the task of delaying the rebuilding for at least one more week.

"If a back gets a lot of yards after contact, it always puts the offense in a good situation. And once your offense is on the field a lot, and that leads to points, and that leads to wins," Jackson said. "A lot of it starts with the running back and that's something that we really pride ourselves on around here."

Few men should be happier about Jackson's reporting than beleaguered head coach Scott Linehan, who has stumbled to an 11-21 clip in his two seasons as ringmaster. With that line, it might be hard for Linehan to tame the St. Louis faithful, but the process could be eased. Linehan's armed to the teeth with Jackson, a healthy quarterback, Marc Bulger, and an offensive line that might finally be healthy enough to protect the both of them.

Legendary tackle Orlando Pace, who patrolled Kurt Warner's blindside in the team's two Super Bowl appearances earlier this decade, has played just nine games in two seasons, ailing from a variety of injuries. But he should see playing time, along with two young guards - free agent signee Jacob Bell and Richie Incognito.

"We've got our core starters back, and we're hopeful that we can stay a lot healthier than we did last year," Linehan said. "But, you know, it's the NFL. It's early in the year, and we'll probably have some kind of adversity there."

But the adversity staring Linehan down lies with the Eagles' offense, he said. Linehan said game planning for running back Brian Westbrook is virtually impossible, and the team has been using a mimic for rookie wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Interestingly, the team passed on Jackson in April's NFL Draft, to pick the similar - but bigger - Donnie Avery.

Linehan said he didn't foresee a singular focus his defense could...
            -09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
          • Nick
            Linehan says Rams and Jackson have had talks
            by Nick
            Rams prepare for Chargers as Jackson's holdout continues
            Associated Press
            Posted: 11 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS -- When the Rams returned to the practice fields in St. Louis on Friday, they left behind the cooler weather of their Wisconsin training camp. What they couldn't leave on the campus of Concordia University, though, were the problems plaguing them even when they were at their new summer home.

Running back Steven Jackson continued to holdout. Jackson missed all of training camp while seeking a new contract. He was not at Rams Park on Friday either, as the team works to bring him to practice.

Coach Scott Linehan met with President of Football Operations Jay Zygmunt on Thursday. Linehan said progress is being made, though the extent of that progress is unclear.

"I know they have had some talks," Linehan said. "I know it's moving along. Whatever that means, it sounds positive to me."

Jackson's holdout has reached 22 days, and it's becoming more important that he report with the regular season opener on Sept. 7.

Jackson won't be the only big-name runner missing from the field in Saturday's preseason home opener. San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson almost certainly won't participate, though that's a matter of preservation and not money.

Beyond the missing running backs, the Rams have some other issues that need fixing after last week's 34-13 loss to Tennessee in the exhibition opener.

"We saw a lot of improvement in our team during our time away," Linehan said. "We didn't see it on the field so much in a number of areas."

Two areas specifically continue to plague the Rams.

The first-team offense struggled mightily against the Titans and the top offensive unit has failed to score a touchdown in nine preseason games under Linehan.

That group will start and play a "significant amount" according to Linehan. It's expected the starters will play a good portion of the first half, if not all of it.

On defense, the Rams are looking to make amends after giving up 340 rushing yards and 7.9 yards per carry to the Titans.

Notes: Rams receiver Torry Holt might not play against the Chargers because of back spasms that have limited him in practice this week. Linebacker Will Witherspoon and receiver Donnie Avery will be game time decisions.
            -08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
          • RamWraith
            Rams and Jackson still don't seem close to deal
            by RamWraith
            Running back has missed first 10 practices of camp

Associated Press

-- Holdout running back Steven Jackson missed his seventh day and 10th practice of St. Louis Rams training camp Thursday, with no apparent movement in the impasse.

Jackson, entering the final season of a four-year contract he signed after the Rams drafted him in the first round in 2004, is seeking a multiyear deal. The Rams are fining Jackson, who has three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, $15,000 a day and have told his agent, Eugene Parker, that there will be no more negotiations until Jackson reports to camp.

Parker has not responded to a telephone message from the AP.

Coach Scott Linehan was late to the field for practice Thursday, prompting curiosity, but said that was because he was meeting with some players. He and Jackson have been text-messaging back and forth, and Linehan said he spoke to the running back on the telephone "the other night."

"I called him, talked to him briefly, to see how he was doing," Linehan said. "It has nothing to do with anything other than letting him know that everything's going to be OK."

Linehan, who briefly halted the second practice Wednesday to harangue players for not pushing through fatigue, said the effort throughout was much better during Thursday's single workout. While going 3-13 last year, the Rams were outscored 258-96 in the second half and 147-40 in the fourth quarter.

"There's a time where you've got to look and say we could be just starting the fourth quarter of a game and we may not feel as good about ourselves, where you've got to push guys through it," the coach said. "We didn't do it very well last year.

"It's no secret the fourth quarter was what it was."

Linehan knows when to let up, too, canceling meetings Wednesday night that gave players a mental break. Overall, he's happy after the first week.

"We've improved in a lot of ways," he said. "I wanted to be better than we were when we got here, and we are."

Note

Wide receiver Drew Bennett (knee swelling) and cornerback Tye Hill (quad) both returned after missing one day.
            -08-01-2008, 02:41 PM
          • RamWraith
            Bulger fallout continues
            by RamWraith
            By Jim Thomas
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            09/27/2008

If quarterback Marc Bulger has decided he no longer can play for Scott Linehan, he has not informed the Rams' coach. So said Linehan on Friday, another tumultuous day at Rams Park.

"He's never given me any (such) indication," Linehan told reporters. "I know he's disappointed with my decision. He's practiced very well this week, and worked hard, and all those things. If that's his feeling, he's never mentioned that to me. You have to ask him that particular question."

For the fourth day in a row, Bulger ducked reporters at Rams Park. The two-time Pro Bowler has yet to comment publicly about being benched by Linehan for Sunday's game against Buffalo. (Trent Green starts instead at quarterback.)

Team sources told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday afternoon that Bulger was so upset over his benching that he no longer wanted to play for Linehan. Steven Jackson strongly implied the same thing Thursday evening on his "Rolling the Dice" radio show. Jackson also criticized Linehan's decision to bench Bulger.

"I don't think it's far-fetched that if things don't work out (with Green), you've lost Bulger," Jackson said on his radio show. "We've only played three games and it hasn't been pretty at all. But you've just awarded this man a new contract worth ... millions of dollars and you bench him. ...

"I just don't like it at all. There are more people that can take the blame for this. I don't think it's fair that one person takes the blame. You don't put your head guy, the general, the staple center, and you bench him with no excuse. It's not right."

When asked Friday if he had discussed Jackson's radio comments with Jackson, Linehan replied: "I haven't talked to him about it, but I will. ... We're in this together and we're trying to find solutions to what has not been a good start to the season with our record."

Linehan then defended his decision to bench Bulger.

"To sit here and not make some decisions — which are hard decisions as a head coach — I would not be doing my job," Linehan said. "But I will, at some point here soon, talk to Steven about it. But other than that, I have no comment further."

As a follow-up, Linehan was asked if he would voice his displeasure to Jackson about Jackson publicly second-guessing the Bulger benching. Linehan wouldn't nibble. "When I talk to Steven, and what I say to Steven, will be between me and Steven," Linehan said.

Linehan met with reporters much later than scheduled on a bizarre Friday afternoon. By all accounts, he left the field in a huff after practice before reporters were assembled outdoors.

Linehan is the first coach in "St. Louis" Rams history to permanently...
            -09-27-2008, 06:41 AM
          Working...
          X