Spags system is working up front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spags system is working up front

Its all about penetration. The Clifton Ryan LaJuan Ramsey combo leads all starting DT pairs in STF, STFY with a combined total of 23.These are the main penetrations stats. They are ahead of more acclaimed combos in the Williams in Minesota and Bunkley and Patterson in Phili. Its not showing up on the run defense Stats but these guys are playing verry well right now and you can also throw Douzable in the mix because he plays alot and would raise that total to 28. With pretty good tacklers in the secondary, how much better would we be if we had better OLB play?

Re: Spags system is working up front

Hmm impressive. This is one of the reasons that I don't think we should draft Suh or McCoy in the draft. Our DT's are not bad at all, and they are young and will get better in time. Heck, they're already pretty good already, and they get better as each week goes by!

That's why I would like to focus our first round pick on the offense, preferably on a QB. If our offense will actually move the ball consistently, it puts less pressure on the defense and gives them more rest, and if they get that, they will perform even better.

Comment

I do see that its good we are making progress. However, I think we need a monster in the middle who will cause a double team. This opens up our ends for sacks.

However, it is great to see we are making progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Mooselini View Post
        I do see that its good we are making progress. However, I think we need a monster in the middle who will cause a double team. This opens up our ends for sacks.

However, it is great to see we are making progress!
        I tend to disagree when people say we NEED a monster in the middle to draw double teams. I think Spags and his mentors disagree also and would rather have 4 good players and good depth behind them. Bunkley and Patterson in Philadelphia Cofield and Robbins in New york none of these guys are Albert Haynesworth. The new age 4-3 doesn't really need that monster DT that 3-4 defenses need. In fact most of those beast who where previously beasts in the 4-3 are now in the 3-4. Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins, Ryan Pickett, John Henderson, the list goes on. Then you have the guys who have been in the 3-4 there whole career taking up blocks. The 4-3 these days is all about penetration and pass rush. We don't really have the pass rush going right now, but when it comes to penetration they have been doing a good job. To me we need 4 good, maybe great players up front with some role players and decent depth to rotate behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by 39thebeast View Post
          Its all about penetration. The Clifton Ryan LaJuan Ramsey combo leads all starting DT pairs in STF, STFY with a combined total of 23.These are the main penetrations stats. They are ahead of more acclaimed combos in the Williams in Minesota and Bunkley and Patterson in Phili. Its not showing up on the run defense Stats but these guys are playing verry well right now and you can also throw Douzable in the mix because he plays alot and would raise that total to 28. With pretty good tacklers in the secondary, how much better would we be if we had better OLB play?
          Interesting thread, Beast, but just what does STF and STFY stand for?

WHAT SAY YE?

Comment

Originally posted by RAMarkable View Post
            Interesting thread, Beast, but just what does STF and STFY stand for?

WHAT SAY YE?
            I was just looking at stats on ESPN and I had no clue what it meant then I googled it and found

STF= Tackles for loss
            STFY= yardage lost in tackle

Kinda mixed things up before, but we still lead in STF the more important stat with 8 in comparison to the 5 of the Williams in Minesota
            Last edited by 39thebeast; -11-07-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• thermobee
              What are the chances that our defense is...
              by thermobee
              What are the chances that Spags converts our defense to 3-4. I mean look at all the teams that use it - Blitzburg, Baltimore, Dallas and New England. They have all done well in the past 10 years!! I know that we might not have the personell right now, but we maybe we can build towards that.

GO RAMS
              -02-17-2009, 08:11 AM
            • laram0
              Spags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              by laram0
              Now DC for the New Orleans Aints. Not only are the Aints 0-4 they have arguably the worst defense in the NFL. What the heck were we thinking hiring this clown?!
              -10-02-2012, 07:20 PM
            • Holt Your Horses
              Say what you will about Spags and Billy D but..
              by Holt Your Horses
              One of the things that gets me most excited about the upcoming season/s is that Jeff Fisher, who I think is a great coach, inherits a decent (not fantastic) roster from Spags.

Granted the team went 2-14, but I dont think anyone would disagree in saying that the previous Rams coaches inherited teams that were in ruins. A ridiculous amount of injuries and a tough schedule both played a role in the abysmal win-loss record, but not by any means are we devoid of talent. Spags has been criticized quite a bit on this board for his 'four pillers' approach, and to be fair it is warranted. That being said the locker room he left behind is filled with team first guys who will work hard. Throw in some players to fill the gaps and let that solid locker room gel around an experienced coaching staff and I think the Rams will be in a good place.

It is my opinion that although Spags/Billy D didnt win much while they were here, we will look back in a few years and be grateful for some of the guys they brought in.

Fisher is lucky to be in this situation compared to what Linehan and Spags were thrown in to, regardless of how they coached.

Just my two cents.
              -01-14-2012, 06:15 AM
            • macrammer
              Groundhog Day?? Zag/Han v De/Spags
              by macrammer
              I see a bit of a split on the forum between keeping spags and letting him go. It is only our opinion and ultimately it is up to owner to decide but here is what I find interesting;

Linehan/Zag were atrocious. I think we can all agree on that. Linehan did not have NFL H/C experience, failed miserably but appears to have found his home in Detroit as the OC.

Say Spags gets hall pass his first year due to the complete rebuilding that was required after the previous regime. Spags is 9-31 overall or take into consideration the first year hall pass, he is 8 - 16. He is 2-12 over last 12 games.

As you all know, Spags made his bones on the defensive side of things and had no prior NFL H/C expereince

I saw a post today that discussed the need for playmakers for the Rams. I would certainly agree with that assessment but it got me to thinking about Linehan. Did we not say same thing about the roster and was that not one of the driving forces that caused the regime shift to DeSpags? Did we not already "rebuild?"

I am looking for some insight from the clan folks that feel we should keep Spags at least one more year. I'd like to understand the thought behind this. Please, something a bit more substantive then "I do not want to rebuild again" or, "We did not have camp" "Too many injuries" etc.

Can you list the prevailing and compelling facts that explain your view? It would be helpful to me as perhaps I am missing something that I should take into consideration other then what I see on Sunday.
              -11-07-2011, 11:57 AM
            • laram0
              Is Spags getting a fair shake from us?
              by laram0
              I know the majority here want to see Spags fired, myself included.

After taking over the "MESS" that Linehan left this team in. Is it fair to come down so hard on Spags after 3 years? He took us from 1-15 to 7-9 and this season (INJURY PLAGUED) we've fallen back more than 2 giant steps. Are the injury, lockout and tough schedule a good enough excuses to give him 1 more season?
              -12-14-2011, 06:03 PM
            Working...
            X