Laurinaitis defensive ROY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurinaitis defensive ROY?

Do you guys think he has a chance of winning it? I really hope he does, he has been a tackling machine and I htink he deserves to be a candidate.

Another candidate would be that stud from Buffalo who has like 7 interceptions.

Re: Laurinaitis defensive ROY?

Brian Cushing also looked pretty nice yesterday and seems to be having a good season.

Comment

I cant see anyone but Byrd winning it right now, he has been the only reason Buffalo have been in games at all
      @EssexRam_

Comment

While JL has done a great job for the Rams... even as a Rams fan I'd have to vote him at minimum 3rd for DPOY.. behind Byrd and Cushing with a couple of others close behind him.

Comment

I'm sure they'll find a way to give it to Mark Sanchez, probably for some amazing tackle he made after throwing an INT.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
            I'm sure they'll find a way to give it to Mark Sanchez, probably for some amazing tackle he made after throwing an INT.
            LOL! Aw, that's just too funny! But probably true -- Mark Sánchez, media darling and DROY.

Seriously, Laurinaitis is working hard, learing fast, working well; I just don't think he'll make it past the other rookies mentioned. Hey, but there's a great photo of him somewhere where he's wearing the Rams 99 throwback, setting up the D. Looking good.

All the best for this MLB ... and to improve our team. :helmet:

Comment

He's played just as well as any other rookie this year....

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan10 View Post
                Do you guys think he has a chance of winning it? I really hope he does, he has been a tackling machine and I htink he deserves to be a candidate.

Another candidate would be that stud from Buffalo who has like 7 interceptions.
                Welcome I think he should be in the finalist but I think because if the rams record he want win.
                :ramlogo:

Comment

I think he's in the running provided that we win at least half of our games from here on out. If we start winning, people will start talking about reasons why, and if we start winning, Laurinaitis is likely to be one of those reasons. Nobody really talks about that great play that turned it into a 56-7 rout instead of 63-0 demolition.

Comment

he deserves it but he wont get it

Comment

Cushing or Byrd probably

Percy Harvin on offense

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan10 View Post
                        I htink he deserves to be a candidate.
                        Not based on his first half performance this season. He constantly gets burned in the passing game, he hasn't been shedding blockers and most of his tackles come after the RB made a healthy gain.

besides when is he gonna lay a hit on someone?

Comment

I agree somewhat with BobCarl unfortunatly, Im happy we drafted him but the big problem is his lack of speed, hes painfully slow. He makes up for this with his smarts though and will be key cog in the rams rebuilding project. The great players in this league
                          will always exploit him a bit unless he can improve his speed and quickness? He is similar to Zach Thomas.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                            Laurinaitis more at ease this season ..
                            by MauiRam
                            Second-year linebacker says he's comfortable
                            BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis has time to sweat the details a little more in his second season in the NFL.

"It's not going to be such a whirlwind like last year with trying to learn the whole defense," Laurinaitis said. "I know it a lot better, but there is always little details. You can always learn more. What I was learning in defensive strategy last year I can now flip to, 'What is the offense trying to do us?'"

Laurinaitis, a second-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, set a Rams record for most tackles by a rookie with a 144 last season.

He is only the second rookie in team history to lead the Rams in tackles. The other was Pisa Tinoisamoa, with 123 tackles in 2003.

"He's been a great addition," Rams defensive coordinator Ken Flajole said. "My hat's off to Billy (Devaney) and (Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo) on drafting him, and actually getting him where we got him because he's a first-round guy, as far as we're concerned.

"We put a lot of management skills on him. We expect a lot from him. He knows it, and the thing I just love about the guy is that he works at it. He'll be better this year than he was a year ago. We need him to be. He is a pro when it comes to his preparation and attention to detail. Hopefully, he'll have a long and illustrious career here."

Laurinaitis' father, Joe, a former professional wrestler, said his son has always done his homework prior to playing games.

"In high school, he had a three-ring binder almost as thick as the Rams' playbook, and he would evaluate and chart every play that he watched the other team run on film," Joe Laurinaitis said.

Joe Laurinaitis is in St. Louis dog-sitting for his son.

"I have two Rotweilers, and I don't want them to be in the house all the time, so he's letting them out," James Laurinaitis said. "My mom and my sister will come down at a later date."

"All I've been doing is pooper-scooping his lawn for him," Joe Laurinaitis said. "What's wrong with this picture?"

Joe Laurinaitis also has been attending the Rams' training camp practices.

"He loves watching," James Laurinaitis said. "He loves being a dad. If he could get on the sidelines, he'd be right next to coach watching every single thing."

Joe Laurinaitis was training for a tryout with the New Jersey Generals of the USFL when he was given the chance to pursue a professional wrestling career. He would take the stage name of "Animal" and become half of the famous "Road Warriors" tag team.

"At that time, I was already benching over 500 (pounds)...
                            -08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
                          • MauiRam
                            Nick Waggoner on James Laurinaitis
                            by MauiRam
                            By Nick Wagoner
                            Senior Writer

As he prepared himself for his first NFL minicamp, second-round draft choice James Laurinaitis heard all of the questions about getting thrown into the fire immediately.

Rare is the second-round choice who has more pressure on him from the start than the player picked in the first round. But in this situation, one could make the case that the expectations for what Laurinaitis can do for the defense are at least on par with the level of impact expected of first-round tackle Jason Smith with the offense.

“This is the NFL,” Laurinaitis said. “There’s not time to kind of wait for the rookies to catch on. You better catch on or you’ll be left behind. I think pace-wise, you better just try to learn and keep up. I think the most important thing I’m going to try to do is just compete and run around and show that I have a great work ethic and that I’m going to try 100 percent no matter what and the mental stuff will come. That’s the way it is for everyone.”

Laurinaitis is no stranger to the pressure of performing right away. At Ohio State, he got his first real playing time opportunity as a freshman when future first-round pick Bobby Carpenter suffered a broken leg on the first play from scrimmage against rival Michigan.

Thrown right into the mix against the Buckeyes’ most hated opponent, Laurinaitis embraced the opportunity and never looked back during one of the most distinguished careers a linebacker has ever had at the collegiate level.

From that day on, Laurinaitis did nothing but produce for Ohio State. While he wasn’t the most athletic player at his position, few linebackers have the read and react skills of Laurinaitis.

Those instincts to read keys and waste no motion getting to the ball helped Laurinaitis become a three-time All American and one of the most accomplished players in school history.

In three seasons as a starter, Laurinaitis posted 366 tackles, nine interceptions, 24.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks.

In 2006, Laurinaitis won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the nation’s best defensive player. In 2007, he won the Dick Butkus award as the nation’s best linebacker.

“The production – the guy has been like this his entire career at Ohio State,” Rams general manager Billy Devaney said. “He’s been a tackling machine.”

Not too shabby for a kid from Minnesota, who was once touted as a potential second or third round pick in the NHL Draft. Still, some questioned whether Laurinaitis made the right decision in returning to Ohio State for his senior season after he had accomplished so much for the Buckeyes.

Entering this year’s draft, Laurinaitis was considered one of the two best middle linebackers available. Southern California middle linebacker Rey Maualuga was the other highly regarded middle ‘backer.

Much to...
                            -05-02-2009, 06:15 PM
                          • Nick
                            Rookie Laurinaitis is built Ram-tough
                            by Nick
                            Rookie Laurinaitis is built Ram-tough
                            Posted: August 6th, 2009
                            Steve Wyche

Just got done talking to Rams rookie linebacker James Laurinaitis. What an impressive guy. The second-round pick will eventually start at middle linebacker but right now, he’s working behind veteran Chris Draft.

Laurinaitis definitely looks the part of a middle linebacker. At 6-foot-2 and 244 pounds, he’s the bigger, more physical-type new coach Steve Spagnuolo and GM Billy Devaney wanted when they made over the roster in the offseason.

Laurinaitis, who will call the plays on defense, told me how he took extensive notes after his first minicamp and studied tape in the weeks leading up to OTAs so when he got back, he knew all the calls and audibles. Laurinaitis also said he watched a ton of video of Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, who played in Spagnuolo’s system in New York.

The Rams are making their rookies earn starting jobs but Laurinaitis has put himself on track to be manning the middle in the near future.

– Steve Wyche
                            -08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
                          • r8rh8rmike
                            Success In The Details For Laurinaitis
                            by r8rh8rmike
                            Success in the Details for Laurinaitis
                            By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

Posted 2 hours ago

As the focal point of the Ohio State defense in his four years as a Buckeye, linebacker James Laurinaitis made plenty of big plays that would be cause for celebration.

But in Columbus, any type of signature move was frowned upon by the coaching staff.

“In college, the whole celebrating thing was kind of frowned upon,” Laurinaitis said. “Our linebacker coach wanted you to act like you had been there before.”

So Laurinaitis did just that, acting like he had been there before because in most cases, he had. That approach carried into his rookie season with the Rams where he led the team in tackles and made his share of big plays.

Never did Laurinaitis pound his chest or go off into a wild celebration. But before this season, cornerback Ron Bartell let Laurinaitis know that it’s OK to cut it loose after a big play.

As if Bartell’s encouragement wasn’t enough, Laurinaitis also took exception to a perceived slight in the Madden ’11 video game.

That game added a “swagger” rating feature this year where players are rated for the way they carry themselves. While the ratings seemed to be pretty arbitrary (former Rams safety David Roach was a 90), Laurinaitis was none too pleased to see that his rating matched his jersey number.

With that, Laurinaitis set about finding ways to get his swagger rating up and decided that incorporating pieces of his wrestling lineage into it would be a good way to do it.

“You realize in the NFL that it’s not really frowned upon,” Laurinaitis said. “It’s encouraged to get kind of creative with things. I really have to give credit to Ron Bartell as far as the sack celebrations. He told me a while ago I needed to step that up and recommended with the family lineage to do a lot of wrestling celebrations hence the Hulk Hogan, the Ric Flair, some of the things I have thrown in there.”

Now in his second season in the NFL, Laurinaitis has had plenty of opportunities to break out some of his new moves.

For the second consecutive year, Laurinaitis leads the team in tackles and is piecing together a Pro Bowl caliber season.

In 14 games, Laurinaitis has racked up 112 tackles, making him the first Ram since Pisa Tinoisamoa to reach the century mark in his first two seasons in the league. In addition to his tackling prowess, he’s added six passes defended, one interception and three sacks.

Being the perfectionist that he is, Laurinaitis is never satisfied with his performance but does acknowledge that he’s made a lot of progress from year 1 to year 2.

“I think I’m more accountable,” Laurinaitis said. “I’m better in the decision making on the field, getting guys lined up, knowing the game plan, know the details. It’s just part of...
                            -12-23-2010, 05:20 PM
                          • Ramblin` Ram
                            Is Laurinaitis the first Lithuanian-American player in the NFL?
                            by Ramblin` Ram
                            im gonna look into it and see if i can find out..tho it could take me a while...
                            so i thought i`d ask on here..

we`ve had lots of European-Americans..too many to mention all of them and weve had a Vietnamese Linebacker in Dallas..

but does anyone know of a Lithuanian-American..that has played in the NFL before J-Lau ?
                            -10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
                          Working...
                          X