• Show
Clear All

• Player Q & A

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/46234
    Player Q & A
    Wednesday, October 6, 2004

QB Marc Bulger

(On Seattle’s defense)
    “They’re real good, they all know their responsibilities. Their linebackers hit the line pretty good and they are aggressive. Their corners are real good, and can play a lot of man and match up one-on-one. Their defensive line is really good, we all know what Grant (Wistrom) can do from his time here. All around, they don’t have any weaknesses.”

(On Seattle DE Grant Wistrom going against T Orlando Pace)
    “Hopefully we won’t notice it. Hopefully Orlando can just do what he has been doing and neutralize him. Grant’s a good player, and I’m sure he’s going to make a few tackles. But hopefully “Big-O” can take care of him this week.”

(On his statistics)
    “I think the offense is just playing good as a whole right now. We have to score more points, but the numbers don’t mean anything if we aren’t winning games.”

(On the offense not scoring in the second half against the *****)
    “We only had four possessions or so in the second half. We wanted to come out and finish strong. But when you are on the road, and have that big of a lead, you don’t want to be overly aggressive and give them a way to get back in the game. It got to the point where we didn’t have to be as aggressive.”

(On the offensive line)
    “They were doing well in the preseason. The first week or two, was a little awkward, I think, working together. But Scotty Tercero, who has been around for a couple of years now, he has worked with (the starters), and the way (Chris) Dishman played, these guys aren’t first or second year guys. These guys have played in the league for some time, and it was just a matter of them working together, then we knew they would be ok.”

(On the Rams’ running game)
    “We had six or seven runs over 10 yards, that gets those linebackers aggressive and it opens up the play action. I think it was evident, watching Isaac (Bruce) get behind the linebackers in that big zone, that’s pretty much what you are trying to get, and it worked last week.”

(On getting a win against the Seahawks)
    “I’m 0-1 (at Seattle). It would be nice to win there. It would be nice to win anyway. But like I said, they are supposed to win the division, they are undefeated, they have a good offense and good defense, so it will be a good test.”

DE Tyoka Jackson

(On playing against former teammate Grant Wistrom)
    “I’m looking forward to seeing him. He is a great guy, and we have a lot of respect for him, so it will be fun seeing him. It will be a little weird seeing him in a different uniform, but I’m looking forward to it. I’m also looking forward to him going against Orlando (Pace) for four quarters, that should be fun to watch too.”

(On if the defense is still trying to fill Wistrom’s void)
    “No, not at all. You have to remember that he was on this team last year, and we gave up 200-some odd yards in a playoff game that we lost and he was here. Don’t get me wrong, he is a great player, great in the locker room, great on the practice field, the whole nine (yards). But one guy, generally, isn’t going to take a whole defense down. Now if it is #91 (Leonard Little), if you take him from us, then we have some problems.”

(On playing Seattle)
    “This one is going to say a lot about who is going to control the division. The season isn’t over after this game, but this is the most important game because it’s the next one, because it’s a division (game), because it’s Seattle and they’re sitting on top of the league right now. So this is a huge game, it’s a road game, and we should be nice and jacked up for this one.”

(On Seattle’s offense)
    “They have great balance. They run it and throw it very well. (QB Matt) Hasselbeck has a good command of their offense. The offensive line is the best we’ve played against so far. They have a very good runner, who can bounce the ball outside and make big plays and break tackles. They have wide receivers that are explosive. They have two good tight ends, and they run a lot of two tight end sets. So, again, they have all the weapons that they need. Their quarterback is the key to the whole deal, because he is very efficient at what he does. We want to be ready in all phases of our game to beat these guys.”

WR Shaun McDonald

(On the offense’s play in the first half against San Francisco)
    “We were moving the ball pretty good. I think we scored on every possession we had, and that’s what we are trying to move into. It’s good to see that we are progressing and getting better.”

(On his first career touchdown)
    “I was excited because I wasn’t expecting to go out there. Torry (Holt) went out for one play, and I got in there. Coach (Martz) called a play that I could score on, so I tried to run a good route. I ran a pretty good route, got open, and scored a touchdown. It was a great feeling, especially since we ended up winning the game.”

T Orlando Pace

(On playing against former teammate Grant Wistrom)
    “It’s going to be a nice battle. Grant knows me well, and I know him well just from going against him for the past six years or so. So it should be a good match-up on Sunday. Grant’s one of those high energy, high motor guys. I know that going in and I’ll try to stay with him all game. He’s hard-nosed. I understand that about him and I just have to ready.”

(On teammate Scott Tercero)
    “He’s played great. I think he broke a bone in his arm (against San Francisco), that just goes to show how tough he is. He stayed in the game and continued to play. Out (on the field) he is a warrior and he played well for us

Re: Player Q & A

I watched a game where McDonald torched Trufant in college. Just made him look silly.

Comment

Re: Player Q & A

Originally posted by txramsfan
      I watched a game where McDonald torched Trufant in college. Just made him look silly.
      Hopefully we can all see it again a few times this Sunday. :king:
      Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
        The Quote Sheet - Thursday
        by RamWraith
        Thursday, October 12, 2006

Head Coach Scott Linehan
        October 12, 2006

(On bringing S Dwaine Carpenter back because of all the injuries) “The week before we brought [Isaiah] Kacyvenski in; he wasn’t ready to play linebacker, so we stayed probably a little heavy at linebacker for a week just because we knew Kacyvenski was going to work mostly special teams. Didn’t know if that was going to effect whether we had another linebacker up, but we needed to have one ready in case. You never know what happens. I think we’ve got a more workable number as far as what we have on our roster now based on our secondary situation right now. Dwaine [Carpenter] would be available, and has gotten some work this week, possibly to be up.”

(On his confidence level in CB Jerametrius Butler) “We have 100 percent confidence in J.B. to start and play. He came in and did a nice job when he played. He’s done a nice job when he’s played before. I think just like you said before, you’ve got to be ready because you never know when your number’s going to be called. That came true last week. He could be in a similar situation again this week.”

(On G Todd Steussie’s performances) “He’s going good. Our first week, I think, of OTA’s he was playing guard for us if you remember right. His role’s going to be as needed, and in this particular case, because of the moving around we had to do on our line. He fills in very nicely there. It’s still a good thing to have him helping a young center and being next to a young center, and having two veteran guards next to Richie [Incognito].”

(On the magnitude of Sunday’s game vs. Seattle) “The division games always carry extra importance, somewhat, just because, like you said, you’ve got to do well within your division. Now we’re 1-1 within our division. It’s going to be big playing the front-runners, preseason favorites, not only in our division, but in the whole NFC. It would certainly be a huge win for us if we were fortunate enough to be accomplish that goal. We’ve got a long way to go as far as preparation and getting ready for them. Sunday will be here soon enough. We know it’s a big game.”

(On Seattle having an advantage coming off the bye week) “Sometimes it can go either way. We’ve one a couple on the road here, so sometimes you just don’t really want to have a break during that time, so sometimes it can go either way. I think it always is an advantage for the team with the bye, as far as preparation, but you’ve still got to go out there and play and execute and all those things. It’s still a home game, which maybe, if anything, evens it out, that would be it. we’re definitely an underdog. We have to go into this game, regardless of how much time they’ve prepared, and try to do a lot of things off the momentum we have, confidence, whatever it is that keeps going what we have going. It’s a whole new week, whole new opponent....
        -10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
      • RamWraith
        Linehan and others comments
        by RamWraith
        Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

The out players are (WR) (Drew) Bennett and (WR) (Keenan) Burton. Burton did have the scope yesterday afternoon, everything went great, wasn’t anything more than what we thought. He’ll be out for the bye right now for him, we’ll see where he is at that point. (G) (Jacob) Bell and (DE) (Leonard) Little were limited in practice as far as their participation, but we’ll know probably by Friday, I would think, it might be a gameday decision, but probably by Friday.”

(On if there’s any lineup changes)

“Not anything yet. Even if we did we wouldn’t announce it.”

(On if there are going to more changes on the offensive side of the ball)

“Kicker. We’re not going to play (K) Josh Brown, he’s just too nervous going back to Seattle.”

(On why he doesn’t want to announce any of lineup changes)

“I don’t see an upside about having any personnel changes in what we do the week before. I don’t think there’s any upside to it as far as, given the information, it has nothing to do with giving it to you guys it has more for what we’re doing for the gameplan.”

(On the snowball effect of losing consecutive games and what’s different this week)

“Because we’ve only played two games. Really, every year is a different schedule and timing of things, all that stuff, and we didn’t play particularly well in our first two games, but we played two tough opponents that were probably preseason, Super Bowl, got a lot of accolades as to what they were going to do. We would like to be sitting here in a better situation after two games, but also knowing who we played, and it’s not like it's getting any easier, but I just feel, this is our first division game. Really all the goals we’ve set for our team are right in front of us at this point in the season. Every season, in my lifetime and it might be different for other people, but in my lifetime, has just had a unique feel or flavor to it and this will be no different in my opinion. The guys have been really, really responsive to rebounding and so we’ll see, but I just have a good feeling about it.”

(On the atmosphere and attitude on the first day of the work week)

“That’s great; actually it was really good. I didn’t expect any different, but you still have to see. Everybody in the building has to be consistent in that way and I think it’s been outstanding. Again, it’s early and we’d like to go back and have a couple do-overs, but that’s not the way life is and that’s definitely not the way football is so if we can keep our head and wits about us, we can really, really get something going at this point because it’s still early in the season and we’re in a good spot. We haven’t played in...
        -09-18-2008, 04:21 AM
      • RamWraith
        Bulger and Jackons quotes November 14
        by RamWraith
        QB Marc Bulger

November 14, 2007

(On the improved performance of the offense in the last two games)

“I’d say a big part of that is Steven (Jackson). You can’t ignore the fact that when he’s in there good things happen. He just brings that energy we need in the huddle and if we can keep him healthy I think we’ll continue to get better and score more points.”

(On being more in sync with his receivers against New Orleans than any other game this year)

“I think just having that extra second to let them get open. Those guys know when I’m getting hit early that they have to break their routes off short and our timing gets off, but when they know I’m getting time and the line’s going, they can get that extra move and know that I can hold it and they can get that separation. There’s definitely more separation this week than in the past and I think that’s because of the line giving me more time.”

(On WR Drew Bennett)

“His health is good – that helps. We worked on that play in the end zone. We didn’t hook up earlier in the year. I threw an interception because I don’t think we were on the same page. We made a conscious effort to work on that. We got the matchup we wanted and it was just nice that we practiced it while the defense was going last week and it paid off. He did a good job on some deep routes, too, so if we can keep getting him going it’ll take some pressure off of Ike (Isaac Bruce) and Torry (Holt), too.”

(On the ***** pass rush)

“It’s a 3-4, which is a little different. They do like to blitz the inside guys a lot. I just don’t think we played well up front last time. I think would tell you that. We did get some big plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it was at the expense of getting me killed. We just have to do a better job up front of establishing a running game, which will help. I think our defense is playing better. If they can give us some good field position, that will help. If we play from behind, that hurts, too.”

(On being named NFC Offensive Player of the Week)

“When you’re a quarterback and you get it, it’s a whole offensive award. When receivers get it or a running backs gets it, it’s an individual thing. It’s not a big deal, it just shows that our line played well, our receivers played well, Steven played well. It’s a good thing for our offense.”

(On how you become a better team at this point in the season)

“Keep winning games. You hear college coaches and NFL coaches say how good of a team you are, but in this business it’s about winning and the bottom line. If you’re 1-8, you’re not a good team. If we can win a couple more games and get a more respectable record then I can say we’re a better team, but we’re still 1-8 and that’s a bad football...
        -11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
      • RamWraith
        Martz on the Mike
        by RamWraith
        Head Coach Mike Martz
        Tuesday, October 12, 2004

(Opening statement)
        “Obviously this is a terrific win for this football team and organization. It means a lot in many respects. We are getting better, they did not get disillusioned. There were a lot of young players that learned how to compete, and stay in it. We had some players show up in this game that made plays to help us win this game. Guys like (Shaun) McDonald, Kevin Curtis, of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) with his touchdown catch, and Steven Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and just did an outstanding job. We’re making progress, and we’re getting better. I know the first half didn’t turn come out the way any of us wanted, but they didn’t give up. When we went in at halftime, it was what we needed to do, it’s a step-by-step process, and here’s how we need to go about it, and they weren’t discouraged, and of course they were able to get the job done. I was very happy and pleased with the effort and how hard they played in the second half. When we had to make a play, somebody made a play. I was very pleased with the effort of the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up a sack in the first half, and a rush on that side, but he came back in the second half and was outstanding on the right side. He was a major reason that Marc (Bulger) was able to move around and make some of the throws that he did. It was a great effort overall as a football team. I though special teams was very solid, the punt return was huge, and I though we covered their kickoffs very well. It was just a solid effort on the kickoff returns. It was Sean Landeta’s best effort so far, in my opinion, in terms of punting the ball. He had great hang time and distance, and there was only one return. Second half, we just need to continue from there, and continue to build. Offensive player of the game, although he had three interceptions, is Marc Bulger. To have three interceptions and to come back and compete and to play at the level that he did, and make those kinds of plays under pressure, is clearly a statement about not just what type of person he is, but the incredible player that he is. Special teams wise, Eric Flowers, four tackles on special teams, just an incredible job. Just a special mention for Trev Faulk again, he had three (tackles). Our defensive player of the game, Tommy Polley, with 10 tackles and a pass broken up. Just a great comeback by Tommy, he was out with a fractured rib, and did a great job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team. All in all obviously it was a terrific win for us, but as all games at this point, we have to have a short memory and get ready for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here on Monday night.”

(On Seattle’s defense on third down)
        “They changed quite a bit on third downs. They changed every third down. One was pressure, one was two, one was four, one was man, they changed everything. It all...
        -10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
      • RamWraith
        Holmgren Conference Call
        by RamWraith
        http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/46235
        Holmgren Conference Call
        Wednesday, October 6, 2004

(On the team’s 3-0 start)
        “We had the first two games on the road and when I looked at the schedule, New Orleans at New Orleans and Tampa away, I wasn’t that excited about how they set it up for us. But winning those two, particularly after we struggled on the road last year, has done wonders for our confidence. I like how the team is playing. We have a lot of young kids flying around pretty good right now, and doing the right things for the most part. It’s good to get off to a nice start.”

(On if this team is what he envisioned)
        “Last year when we finished, I felt, offensively, that the pieces were kind of there. We could move the ball decently at times. The quarterback is confident, and we had a pretty good line. On defense, we had trouble at times, and real trouble at times, stopping anybody over the past few years. Last year, Ray Rhodes came in, and we improved from the bottom of the barrel to up to about 20th in the league. It was our hope that the defense would continue to improve, and we’re doing that now. That’s encouraging to me. When your defense can get the other team off of the field, get your offense more touches, you get better field position, you get better chances for turnovers, good things happen. We are getting closer to what I envisioned when I came here.”

(On the Seahawks defense)
        “I think the biggest thing has been our front. Acquiring Grant (Wistrom), who you guys know very well, was a big thing for us. He’s a good football player. We knew that when we played against him all of those years. But more than that, he brought an attitude and a work ethic, and his ability, that was good for us. Like I said, we are very young on defense. So to have guys that the young guys can look at, how they practice and how they play, that’s really important for us taking the next step defensively. Our defensive line, I’m not saying I’m surprised, but they put it together nicely. We’re playing a lot of folks in there. We drafted (Marcus) Tubbs in the first round. He’s in there and he’s a rookie. And Rashard Moore is a young guy, second-year player in there, and I’m pleased with how the defensive line is playing. They set the table for the linebackers and secondary.”

(On how long it has taken for the veterans to impact the younger players)
        “In our case, it seemed to happen right away. In the secondary, here’s an example, Kenny Hamlin and Bobby Taylor live 10 minutes from each other in Houston. So here we have a young free safety, who started off the season last year, is a very talented young guy, but he’s young. He had his peaks and valleys last year, but just by working out with Bobby in Houston, and just hanging out with him. He has come in this year and we have a very fine football player, talent-wise, and now he has a little maturity beyond his years...
        -10-07-2004, 05:40 AM
      Working...
      X