Brian Leonard vs. Gado and/or Darby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Leonard vs. Gado and/or Darby

I just can't get the Brian Leonard trade off of my mind. First of all we received basically nothing in return for Leonard when we traded him to the Bengals. Secondly he's better (IMHO) then Gado and Darby.

The Bengals are using Leonard the same way we would have. Basically a third down back that can catch the ball out of the backfield. Leonard has seen limited action with the Bengals with 11 rush attempts for 30 yards but he has caught 20 balls for 153 yards and converted 9 first downs.

Gado: 11 rushes for 26 yards and 1 reception for 7 yards

Darby: 11 rushes for 57 yards and 4 receptions for 21 yards.

I know Steven Jackson is the man and has done a superhuman job for us again this season but why not keep Leonard and either Gado or Darby? I just don't get it!

Someone please explain to me why we traded Leonard (again for nothing) and kept Gado and Darby.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Re: Brian Leonard vs. Gado and/or Darby

He was constantly injured with us, he doesn't fit our scheme of offense. He's to slow to be a Running Back and to small to play Fullback. He just wasn't right for our scheme.

I'm over it, I wish him the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFan16 View Post
      He was constantly injured with us, he doesn't fit our scheme of offense. He's to slow to be a Running Back and to small to play Fullback. He just wasn't right for our scheme.

I'm over it, I wish him the best of luck.
      Sorry but I'm selling that answer. He seems to fit the Bengals (7-2) scheme just fine. Again they are using him just like I wanted us to use him.

Frustrated.....
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
        Sorry but I'm selling that answer. He seems to fit the Bengals (7-2) scheme just fine. Again they are using him just like I wanted us to use him.

Frustrated.....
        That's why I said that he's a better fit for them. We run a Power Offense, they run more of a Hybrid. We hit them in the mouth, they USUALLY air it out, but with Benson, it's been more balanced.

Comment

I wasn't too upset about getting rid of Leonard since he never really took advantage of the chances he got, but I'm thinking it would have been interesting to see how he would have done with the new coaching staff.

He may not have fit with the direction the team wanted to go, but he's a hard worker with a great attitude who's willing to do whatever it takes to help his team. Maybe he was a casualty of the Linehan purge, but he certainly couldn't have been worse than Gado or Darby, who seem to be a waste of two roster spots.

Comment

The opportunity Leonard received was in 2007 when the entire offensive line was decimated due to injuries. Remember that season? Why would anyone look at the performance of a running back that season and consider it representative of his potential. With that, he still achieved 3.5 ypc. That's higher than Gado has achieved in any season in many years.

And I don't buy the smash mouth versus hybrid argument. We are talking about 3rd down backs. When did Darby become a smash mouth type of running back?
            Last edited by RebelYell; -11-17-2009, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I always liked Leonard in St. Louis, I was sad to see him go.

Comment

I've been teaching my girlfriend about the Rams, turning her into a fan. One of the more fun games I've found is pointing out all of the former Rams around the NFL. Leonard has been one of a few that have been prospering. Or at least getting by.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                  The opportunity Leonard received was in 2007 when the entire offensive line was decimated due to injuries. Remember that season? Why would anyone look at the performance of a running back that season and consider it representative of his potential.
                  That's actually a good point, but I'm sure Spags and Devaney had plenty of tape to watch on Leonard and they knew the OL situation, yet they still chose to get rid of him for practically nothing. Obviously he didn't impress them.

Comment

He was constantly injured while he was here, and when he was healthy he accomplished next to nothing.

Not sure why anybody is still upset that we sent him packing? He showed absolutely nothing that would give us any reason to keep him around.

Comment

Leonard was drafted 52nd overall, I don't remember his contract numbers, but surely he was being paid more than the league minimum which is likely all Gado and Darby are getting. Injuries and money I would think loom large in the Rams decision to release him. Obviously Spags for whatever reason, didn't view Brian as a great fit in his system, or he'd still be a Ram.

I was sorry to see him go as he is a good kid and a hard worker, but Billy and Spags have a vision of what they're trying to create, and are molding the roster according to their shared vision ..

Comment

I thought drafting Leonard was awesome. But he was horribly misused. Linehan made him put on weight and tried to make him a blocking FB. He was very athletic coming out of college and was built almost the same as Jackson. He's a better RB than FB, I don't know why Linehan drafted him if he didn't want to use the talent he already had. Would have been a great complement to Jackson. Drafting guys who are great, then making them fill a need that they not already set for is not the best decision making. Like making Carriker a DT, when he had the potential to make an awesome DE. ;)

Comment

All the great moves this coaching staff and front office has made, and we're discussing letting Brian Leonard go ....

<shrugs>

Comment

Just a thought, but is Leonard really a better pass-catching back than Jackson? I would say no. We even line Jackson up at receiver sometimes. If you really want the yardage on third and long, you want Jackson in the game. It would also be hard to justify putting Leonard in even as a second back in those situations because of how little he brings to the table as a blocker. Add in the recurring injury problems, and I don't think it's really any surprise that the team let him go.

In my opinion, Gado is probably a better runner, and Darby is better at picking up the blitz.

Comment

we still got nothing for him. Thats the point I see. Just like the Hill trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X