My Case For Pat Shurmur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Case For Pat Shurmur

I've read here (and elsewhere) posts calling for the firing of Rams Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur. I am 100% against that idea.

You have to look at this with two starting premises:

1) The Rams don't have an overabundance of talent on offense; and
    2) It often takes time for players to adjust to a new offensive system before it starts producing results.

Given, those two facts, I think that, rather than looking at the Rams' statistical ranking or, worse yet, hindsight criticisms of specific instances of playcalling, we should ask a simple question:

Has this offense improved over the course of the year?

The answer is "yes."

Here are the Rams' offensive stats for the first 5 games of the season vs. games 6 through 10 (based on per game averages):

Category/Games 1-5/Games 6-10

Rushing Yards: 113.8 124.8 (+11.0)
    Passing Yards: 167.2 204.0 (+36.8)
    Total Yards: 281.0 328.8 (+47.8)

Shurmur is a well-respected coach. In fact, in a recent article, Don Banks suggested that he could (despite the Rams' troubles) get some consideration for HC vacancies this year. The Rams should give him time to develop his system and build and offense with players that fit his schemes. There simply is no reason to start over with yet another OC based upon what has transpired this year.

Re: My Case For Pat Shurmur

Ahhh, much agreed. Firing Shurmur would be a disastrous mistake ...

Anybody with half a brain can see the progress that is being made on offense. This offense, at times, has been able to very effectively move the ball downfield. It has stalled in the redzone, but this is mostly a familiarity thing in my opinion ...

Are we a little predictable on first down? Yes. Does this thing need to be fine tuned? Yes. Can Shurmur field a productive offense next year? No doubt in my mind ...

Just takes a little bit of time ...

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this his first run as an OC and his first time calling plays? I'm sure that like everything else, there is a learning curve to this. The fact that we have improved on offense lately despite our deficiencies at WR make me think that not only are the players improving in this system, he is beginning to get a better handle on coordinating the offense and calling the plays. If he has a good offensive mind (and I assume he does being that Spags picked him to run the offense), I have to believe that he will be an asset for us rather than a hindrance.

Comment

Right now we're racing a 4 cylinder engine in an "unlimited class" (the NFL) against V8s and V12s (think Colts). Firing the mechanic won't put the 4 cylinder on a par with V8s or V12s .. Hopefully next year we can afford a V8 ..

Comment

And red zone TD's is something this team has struggled with since Kurt left. Bulger, even when he was doing well statistically, always struggled inside the 20.

Comment

Stability is so important to winning in the NFL. I don't want another OC coming in and learning his system. What, have we had something like 4 in six years? No wonder our offense sputters like a Packard that is still running.

Comment

am pleased to see Shurmur getting some respect for a change..i have been defending him for a while myself..
              i think any OC needs 2 seasons atleast to implement his system..DC`s shorter because as they say its easier to break than it is to make..an offense needs a lot of things to go right for it to execute a play,a defense can break up a play with a lot less things goin` right ,sometimes just one..e.g Interceptions and Fumbles..they may be more likely to happen when the QB or RB/WR/TE is pressured by a pass rush or gang tackles..but they can also happen without those...
              for a pass to be completed you need the O-line to give the QB enough time to throw ,the catcher needs to get seperation and then the catcher needs to also make the catch and hold onto the ball to make a play..

and thats not taking into consideration the fact that even before the injuries hit..we had one of the least experienced and arguably least talented (tho i personally think we have promising tools) WR & TE group in the NFL.
              Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -11-24-2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

bring in the mad scientist
                LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

Originally posted by LA Rammer View Post
                  out of love for Martz as an OC,lets not soil the mostly good memories by bringing him back to coach an offense that no longer fits his playbook.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Rammer View Post

An interesting thought, but Martz wore out his welcome here (as he's done in two other places since). Firing Shurmur will not happen, nor should it for the reasons mentioned by others on the thread. He, like the other coaches and many players are learning along the way. Progress has been made, although there is certainly a long way to go.

With that said, Shurmur has some cleaning up to do as far as play calling is concerned. Handing off to Samkon Gado on 3rd and 1 has me wanting to throw my TV out the window. Shurmur has limited options offensively and a revolving door situation at WR, so canning him would not only be crazy, it is unjustified.

Comment

Originally posted by MauiRam View Post
                      Right now we're racing a 4 cylinder engine in an "unlimited class" (the NFL) against V8s and V12s (think Colts). Firing the mechanic won't put the 4 cylinder on a par with V8s or V12s .. Hopefully next year we can afford a V8 ..
                      4 Cylinder Twin Turbo. Ain't too bad.

Comment

I would remove my sig, but I'm way too lazy.

I see improvement. It's just tough swallowing a loss week after week. Had to blame someone. haha

But I am for keeping him here. We only have a handful of talented players. Can't get mad guys.

Comment

Wonder where these firing comments are coming from. Is it from the sports writers, fans, or the FO?

We have gone through so many coaching changes already. The offense has been improving lately. More points, more yards, more first downs. I am not in favor of a change at this point.
                          sigpic

Comment

Firing Shurmur would be idiotic. As was said before, he's working with a WR corp that didn't have any of them actually active in training camp. How do you expect excellence from a guy like Gibson when he's been on the team for 4 weeks and is a ROOKIE? I think what Shurmur has built is excellent for the tools he's given. But honestly, if you thought this team was going to the playoffs back in August and denounced anyone in the media who predicted otherwise, you are probably going to be inclined to blame someone for your inability to forecast problems.

Comment

I was one of those advocates for firing him earlier this season. Looks like that was an instantaneous reaction from me. I am actually fine with him now

Comment