Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many losses does it take to weed out the posers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many losses does it take to weed out the posers?

Wouldn't it be great if, as a silver lining to this era of ineptitude, the Rams' fan base could be reduced to those who truly have an affinity for the team? It can't be denied that there is a substantial portion of the fan base that consists of those who jumped on the bandwagon during the GSOT years, and now finds itself unable to handle the ups and downs that most teams face in the long run.

Fans of this type are, in a word, annoying. They blather on with their over-the-top criticisms, insults and preposterous suggestions. They seek out company for their misery. They put down those who adopt a long-term, hopeful, outlook.

Unfortunately, the filter effect is only temporary. The posers may finally have enough and fade into the background. But, mark my words, most of them will return when the team starts winning again (and, make no mistake, some day they will).

I guess we should be tolerant of these types of fans. It can't be denied that they do add to the crowds during good times, and help comprise the "12th man" in sold out home games.

But for those who have been here, and will be here, through thick and thin, let me say this...

It is you who will have "earned" the right to take pride in the team's future successes. There is merit to loyalty.

Its something the posers will never understand.
    Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -11-30-2009, 09:00 AM.

Re: How many losses does it take to weed out the posers?

Have you noticed how many supposed "fans" have showed up on this board recently only to bash the team?

I don't get it, are they Seahawks, 49'ers fans in drag?

The board has frustrated the hell out of me lately because it's almost always negative. Fact is, I've tired of arguing, so I don't post as much ...

Someday we will reap the rewards of this rebuilding process, I guarantee it.

Comment

It wont be long guys, there are bright spots on the team. SJax of course looks great, but let't not leave out the O-line. Before this game where they were plagued with injuries they actually looked really good. Only allowing 7 sacks in the first 9 games is much better than what we have had before. And this game our secondary looked tremendous in pass defense, keeping hassleback to under 125 passing. The team is getting better.

Comment

Agreed AV.

I have typed the word IDIOT a lot in responses recently... but then I hear Nick telling me to be civil and so I don't post.

I love reading different ideas and opinions but it gets a little frustrating when posters sound like they think the solutions are as simple as playing Madden 10.

Comment

Amen brother.

I can understand the frustration. We are ALL frustrated. But AV is right, some of these posts are just negative for the sake of being negative and there's absolutely no evidence to support their claims. I am all for an intelligent conversation, but lately I haven't seen 'em.
          Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Amen Av. There may be no such thing as a moral victory in a loss. But there have been a fair amount of positive things to comment on as well. But there are always going to be those around who get a lot of fun, or satisfaction out of blasting everything and everyone. I have been trying to respond less and less to those bashing threads.

Comment

I actually had a fan and his wife at the Cardinals game tell me they were GSOT turf fans, not Ram's fans ...

Comment

49'ers fans in drag?
                Redundant?
                The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
                  Redundant?
                  Rep to you for seriously one of the funniest things I've ever seen ....

Amazing how one simple word can evoke such a laugh :-)

Comment

Although the record may not show it this team is better than they were last year. They have overcome the biggest hurdle to turning around a franchise and that's attitude. Spags has worked wonders in getting this team to buy into his system. Jax has emerged as a real leader on this team and I can't praise him enough for keeping his mouth shut this year and playing football, that's a hard quality to come by these days from an athlete on a struggling team. No matter what side of the fence you are on in regards to Bulger there is no doubt that he deserves high praise for his service to this team. Not many QB's in this league have taken the abuse he has physically over his career and he never muttered an ill word about his teamates. I think we could all learn a lesson from Jax and Bulger and stop attacking each other over the ups and downs of our team. Hold your heads high true Rams fans, good times will be back someday. Hopefully sooner than later.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think there are any people on the rams band wagon and I like true fans for the reason you put it. I only try to point out the positive side of things.. The rams have 3 straight losing seasons and I'm still a Rams fan.

Comment

I don't know about them getting better.....they may show more fight than last year but the results are what they are. I think what's coming to light is that some of the players are what they are.

Avery? Not a #1 WR. Maybe a very good #2 but not a #1.
                        Carriker? We missed. Be it injuries or moving to a new position, he just didn't pan out.
                        Long? He's coming on, could be a bright spot.
                        Wade? Another miss. Just too small and outmatched.
                        Hill? Big miss there. I'm including him because of his draft position.
                        Barron? Serviceable OT. Dominating? Not really, but he doesn't really hurt you either.

This year everyone gave Spags a flyer because we knew what he was getting....however, the inexperience of this coaching staff is about as glaring as the talent on the team.

Next year, the barometer will be square on Spags. He better show improvement in the W column....

Comment

Really... at this point what you have are "true Ram's fans." There are two things that you don't have at this point in the NFL, bandwagon Lion's fans and bandwagon Ram's fans. I hate going to other websites and seeing the same arguments over other team's fans. It's easy to say you are a fan when a team is up, but when down different story.

This team has not only been decimated for a couple of years, but a few years. The negative talk boils down to one thing GRIPING. I can't say it's a bad thing. When something hurts or makes us feel uncomfortable what do we do? Complain or cry. We would be wrong to say it's inappropriate. Everybody grieves differently.

So word to wise be nice and instead of bashing each other look for ways to encourage. Let's not call each other bandwagons, there is nothing to prove because even that is negative. Peace!
                          LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Comment

i blame the French...

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard Chris Berman say that the Rams attendance of 47,000 at the game Sunday was the lowest attendance figure since the RAMS moved to St. Louis?

Not good!!!!

GO RAMS!
                              sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                                I wonder... is there an Anti-Bandwagon?
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                It comes as no surprise that a team having success will draw its share of "Bandwagon" fans, who can be defined as fans who jump on board during a successful run but disappear when things get tough.

As an aside, I don't have a major problem with bandwagon fans, provided that they are at least honest about it. For example, I'll readily admit that, as a graduate of the University of Miami's Law School (as opposed to undergraduate college), I am somewhat of a bandwagon fan of he Hurricanes. I tend to get interested in them when they do well, but I don't spend much time worrying about the team when they are having a down year.

I wonder, though... have the Rams developed an Anti-Bandwagon? What I mean by that is, do you think there are fans who are more active and vocal when the team is down (voicing their complaints, critiques and frustrations) who would, paradoxically, become LESS active if the Rams started winning?

If you do think that this phenomenon exists, what do you see as the motivation of the Anti-Bandwagon fans? Is it merely the Cub-Fan-esque notion of supporting the "loveable losers," or is it something else?

Discuss.
                                -01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Too Many Rams Fans Don't Know "Special" When They See It (Pre-Hiatus Thoughts)
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                I guess I thought you'd be here forever. Another illusion I chose to create. Don't know what you've got until its gone. And I found out a little too late. - Chicago

The logical side of my mind has struggled with this question for a while: how can people who identify themselves as Ram fans continually nitpick at aspects of the team that, though not perfect, hardly warrant such harsh criticism?

The way some fans talk about a coach with a very high winning percentage as if he's a clown with no business coaching... the way they can't wait to get rid of a QB with a 90+ lifetime QB rating... the way they look at a second year RB who is producing despite playing behind a patchwork line and talk about him like he's the problem...

It just makes no sense, unless...

I finally figured it out.

The problem is 1999. The greatest year in Rams history has had a nasty side effect. Certain fans just don't get how special that year was and, as a result, are unable to accept that a year like that may come only once in a lifetime.

How often does a team pick up key veterans and rookies, take the league by storm with a dynamic new offense, enjoy career years from several defensive players, make it through the season nearly injury free, find an MVP on the bench to replace the one key player who suffers a major injury, and have all the pieces fall into place for a playoff run ending in a Championship?

Why not ask fans of the Seahawks, Cardinals, Oilers/Titans, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Lions, Saints, Jets, and many others how long they've been waiting for a year like that.

Some fans have become so myopic as a result of that "dream season," that they see everything in black and white. If its not GSOT, it "sucks."

Well, my friends, that's not how the real world works. As a fan, you have to do more than describe everything as "good" or "bad." There's also "adequate," "improving," "promising," "declining," "limited," "situational," "underachieving," "overachieving," and "undetermined," to name a few.

To always seek perfection is to lose sight of just how special 1999 was. A year like that doesn't come around very often, so savor it, crave it, and seek it... but don't expect it.

Anyway, I obviously need to step away from this forum for a little while. I don't know how long I'll be gone. Maybe a day or two, maybe longer. Maybe I'll lurk about, maybe not.

I'll see you when I see you.
                                -12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Message Board Fans Are A Different Breed
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                I think I finally have come to terms with an inescapable truth: Message Board fans are a different breed from the average fans.

Its not entirely a bad thing. MBFs are generally loyal, and always passionate when it comes to their team. But, unlike general fans, MBFs have another characteristic - they crave controversy.

Jason's recent Bulger thread is a perfect example. A room full of general fans would have no trouble discussing Marc Bulger's progress as a QB and solid play this year. MBFs, on the other hand, have little desire to discuss such a positive topic.

MBFs would rather...

* Beat the Kurt Warner topic to death
                                * Ridicule Mike Martz and call for his dismissal
                                * Rip players who get injured or fight for more money
                                * Bash the front office for draft choices that don't pan out

Heck, we have MBFs here who routinely pick the Rams to lose each game, rip the most productive players on the team for not being perfect, hang out in the chat room on game day so they can criticize the players they don't like in "real time," and place signature quotes on each post that reflect negative feelings toward the team or specific individuals.

So where does that leave someone like me, the proverbial optimist?

In a sense, I guess I fit in because I thrive on slapping down those who wear their Ram colors while simultaneously tearing down the team. In a sense, the board needs people like me to combat the naysayers - otherwise their proclamations would yield as few responses as posts about undeniable positive aspects of the team now yield.

The question is.... do I... should I (and others like myself) wish to take this role?

I have to say, at times it grows tiresome. Sometimes, I wish I could just preach to a choir, rather than feeling like I'm constantly having to defend my optimistic outlook. I suspect that there are a few posters who, in the past, have been active, but now rarely post because they have experienced the same fatigue.

The only solution I see to this is to implore the MBFs to try to achieve some balance. Its fine to criticize problems, but try to praise that which is deserving. Its fine to cheer and hold out hope, but don't stray too far from realism that you can't express concerns as well.

Just my thoughts.
                                -11-18-2004, 11:42 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Every now and again, I have to make a post like this one...
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Some people really hate posts of this type, but I think its necessary.

You see, there is a certain type of "fan." The type that is more interested in "being right" than they are in seeing the team succeed.

If you hang around here, or any message board, you'll observe this type of "fan." They're the ones who never seem to be happy or optimistic. They criticize every move. They express low expectations at all times. They chide anyone who dares to express hope.

If called out individually, these "fans" will do one of two things (or both). They will (1) claim to be the true "realists," and/or (2) whine that they are being censored.

Its not censorship. Its merely the reaction that you should expect to receive when you are a total bore. That's what "fans" like this are: bores.

In my book, the only reason to even bother spending time being a fan is to extend hope that this year will be "the year." That's what made 1999 so special to me. I had spent over 20 years believing each season that this was "the year." Sure, there were times that, deep down, I knew I was kidding myself. But then, one year, it all paid off.

As fans, we don't draft or sign the players, devise the gameplans, call the plays, or battle it out on the field. All we can do is try, in our own little way, to be part of that "12th man" that, hopefully, inspires the team to play just that much harder. That's all we can do.

How you do that when you never see anything but doom and gloom is beyond me. If I ever feel that way, I'll find a new hobby.

So, have at it with the "are you talking about me" and "how dare you interfere with my Free Speech" responses.

I've said my peace.
                                -03-06-2009, 07:57 PM
                              • Barry Waller
                                Rams FAns Need To Get a Grip
                                by Barry Waller
                                Fans Need To Get a Grip
                                by Barry Waller

It seems like fans choose THEIR guy in this coaching search, like they actually know more than the GM and owner who talk to everybody these guys ever worked for or coached they can find, which is a bunch, then ***** if it isn't the guy in the end.

Fans ignore whether that guy even showed interest himself in really being the guy chosen, or had an eye on another job far more intently.

They ignore the history of coaching hires all over and focus on what happened here. Garrett looks too much like Linehan, Fassell too much like Haslett etc etc.

They even look the other way about their general philosophy of the guy that is the best choice. They want a defensive coach, because Martz and Linehan were offensive guys, ignoring the fact that as many defensive coaches, like Marvin Frazier, Ray Rhodes, Romeo Crennel, Buddy Ryan, Bob Hollway, etc, were horrific head coaches.

Fans look at a Lovie Smith or Mike Tomlin and see every African-American defensive coordinator available in the same light.

Fans look at coordinators that have had success as assistants this year as saviors, and others who were just as hot a year or two ago, but who's light has dimmed because of one lesser year, ignoring the talent each had available.

Fans see conspiracy everywhere, that it's a buddy buddy deal with Devaney or willingness to work cheaper that hjas the final say.

They will be negative right from the start if their guy isn't THE guy. They would just say "Just like continuing with Linehan or Haslett" becfore he works a day.

Does that seem fair, based on what fans REALLY know about any of these guys, their work habits, off field stuff etc?

Guys like Bernie Miklasz and Jim Thomas have some access to all the info, but certainly not as much as those about to invest their FUTURE, and millions of bucks on their guy.

Even those guys, being sane and honest, would agree, just as they would agree that fans know about a tenth as much as they do, particularly because many off the record stuff is held back by these media insiders.

Just like with the draft, there seems to be a growing number of fans who truly think they have football minds better than those who make their living running, and coaching, NFL clubs.

They need to realize that while they may actually end up right on a subject or hiring, the odds that they really are a better bet to follow than the professionals, is really really slim.

Of course, unless a team is 100% right all the time, there will be times that a fan can get it better, and those fans will crow when they do beat the GM in a finale outcome.

I have no problem with fans going after those who clearly are out of their league in the front office, or on the field or sideline. That's...
                                -01-17-2009, 10:14 AM
                              Working...
                              X