Donnie Avery, in perspective...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnie Avery, in perspective...

After 11 games, here are Donnie Avery's stats, where he ranks among second year WRs this year, and the top Soph. in each category:

Receptions: 34 (7th); Davone Bess, Miami - 49
    Yards: 466 (5th); DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia - 769
    YPC: 13.7 (7th); DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia - 17.5
    TDs: 5 (2nd); DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia - 6

Now... apart from the obvious - that the Rams probably should have taken DeSean Jackson - what does this tell us?

Well, I'd say it tells us that Avery is holding his own among the players he was drafted with. Notably, Avery has been fairly consistent in his first two years, while others have either had Soph. slumps (i.e. Eddie Royal) or emerged this year after extremely quiet rookie seasons (i.e. Mario Manningham).

I also think its notable that Avery has fought through injuries to stay on the field, has dealt with a change in offensive coordinators and instablity at the QB position, and has had to play accross from seemingly countless WRs.

In all, I'd say Avery stacks up as a guy who continues to have promise. The Rams need to add more talent at WR, but Avery should be part of the long term plan.

Re: Donnie Avery, in perspective...

what also needs to be remembered is that Avery is playing on a offense that doesnt have the talent like Eagles do, most notably at QB.

But still, considering the lack of QB talent, to be second in TDs is pretty good.
    I do agree that the Rams need to add more talent at WR, but Avery can become a very good number 2 WR given the chance
    @EssexRam_

Comment

I was looking at the same thing today AV because I wanted to see where Avery was in regards to last year's production. He is a little ahead in every category, this despite being in a new system, and struggling with injuries and confidence problems, early on...

He'll be fine in my opinion...

Comment

he`s also dealed with more pressure than the others..not only from being the first wideout taken but having the pressure of being one of the few truly talented players on a struggling team...Desean has had lots of other talented players the Eagles can go to on offense so he has been able to relax and play his natural game...Royal has had Marshall to take away the top opposing CB away from covering him..and Manningham has had the same kind of deal that DeSean has had.

moving forward im not sure if he should be counted on as our go to guy in the long run..but used properly he can become one of the most explosive playmakers in the league..he`s already shown he has the ability.

Comment

I think Avery is doing a good job for a 2nd year player, and as far as the Jackson thing goes, if we had drafted him and Avery went to Philly we would all be saying that we should have drafted Avery. Considering the system that he is playing in I am actually shocked he ranks that high.
          sigpic

Comment

That's all well and good to a certain extent....not necessarily blaming Avery. However, when you are the first WR taken in the draft.....and this team and it's fans are hungry for wins....to be in the middle of the pack in most categories is disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
              That's all well and good to a certain extent....not necessarily blaming Avery. However, when you are the first WR taken in the draft.....and this team and it's fans are hungry for wins....to be in the middle of the pack in most categories is disappointing.
              That's the point, though. He's not in the "middle of the pack." Over the past two seasons, the only WR from his draft class who has consistently outperformed him accross the board has been D.Jackson. There are some who have outperformed him this year in one category, but not others (i.e. Bess, who has a lot of receptions, but very few yards and TDs). Overall, though, he is among the most productive WRs from his class.

The question is... will he take the next step? There have been many WRs who emerged as stars in their 3rd year or later. Avery has the potential to be a 70 reception, 1,000 yard, 8 TD guy. If he can reach that level, I'd say he was a good value as a second round pick.
              AvengerRam_old
              Moderator Emeritus
              Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -12-01-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

yeah he's pretty good, but it still would have been nice to come out with d jackson in that draft. i think he's struggled at times and can play better, if he becomes as consistently good as he has shown in some games he will be a very good receiver for us.

Comment

Impact and return game

What you overlook is that D. Jackson has had a much bigger impact on the game. He's had 6 TD's over 45 yards (Avery has only 1 over 30); and he is a dangerous punt returner. Avery is solid, but hasn't shown the impact or explosiveness you'd expect for a #1 receiver. If you're happy with him as a decent #2 or #3 then no argument here.

Comment

Nobody is arguing that he has been as good as Jackson. The point is, apart frm Jackson, he's been among the best WRs in his draft class.

Comment

I'd give you rep points for that AV but I don't know how, great post.

Comment

Originally posted by jjigga3000 View Post
                        I'd give you rep points for that AV but I don't know how, great post.
                        Talk about your ..."coals to newcastle"...

(But nonetheless, well deserved);)

Comment

Avery looks pretty good to me and i like how Gibsons looking too once he gets his timing down.

Comment

I just think that our WR's need those nifty Andre Johnson receiver gloves that he wore in the Dick's Sporting goods comercials where he catches the submarine sandwhich and the glass of water.

Really what I'm saying is just a few less drops and I'll be happier than a pig in slop.

Comment

I'm a little disapointed in Avery. He was the first receiver to be taken in his class and now IMO it's looks like he was taken to high. The Rams may need to take a receiver high in the 2010 draft to be a # 1 that I was hoping Avery could fill. I am not sure if Avery is a # 2? When Laurent Robinson comes back next year he might take the # 1 or two role depending on what the rams do in the draft. He seems to me to be a # 3 kind of like Az Zahir Hakim use to be without the KR.
                              :ramlogo:

Comment