Would be interested in everyone's take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would be interested in everyone's take

There are no two words guaranteed to stir the pot and enrage followers of a certain team like the words "True Fan". When one's loyalty is questioned or someone accuses someone else of being "less a fan" because they don't agree with them on a variety of issues, it is the equivalent of hitting below the belt. When phrases like "See Ya", "Don't let the Door hit you in the ***", Goodbye and Good Riddance" are thrown about, it is both insulting and juvenile.

I submit to you the following scenarios:

1. A guy decides to avoid being a slave to the television each Sunday and do something constructive instead of watching bad football. He chooses to play with his kids, do yard work, go to the gym or whatever. Can he no longer call himself a Rams fan?
    2. A guy decides to cancel his NFL ticket package because he doesn't want to pay good money for the "privilege" of being ticked off during Rams football in light of their 6 wins over the past three seasons. Is he no longer a true fan?
    3. A guy with Rams season tickets decides to give his tickets away/ sell at a reduced rate and not go to the games. Is he no longer a "True Rams Fan"?
    4. A guy pays $100.00 to go see the Rams on the road. The team is down 38-0 AT THE HALF. He elects to go home with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to resist the urge of killing idiot home fans while watching a non-effort. Is he no longer a true fan? (By the way, this was me at last yrs. Rams-Jets disaster- the worst football game this franchise has ever played).
    5. Absolutely sick to death from losing and not having anything to cheer about, a fan rips the team and/or individual players/management on this forum or elsewhere. He is more negative than positive because there is much more negative than positive happening on the field, and it is his way to vent. Is he now considered less of a fan?

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, if you answered anything other than "NO" to any of the above, you have it wrong. As far as I'm concerned, everyone on this board is a true fan for coming on here and commenting on this weekly gut ache called Rams football.

Wondering what you think-

Re: Would be interested in everyone's take

As I said somewhere else, I've never thought that terms like 'true fan' were helpful because they tend to be purely inflammatory and are intended to be so.

Recently however, the lack of quality on the boards have made me empathise with it. It could be or course that this is a symptom of my own dissatisfaction with the Rams performance but I rather think its because I've never had much time for stuff like 'Bulger SUX' or firing a first-year head coach.

If people (and I'm not saying you're amongst them) post up such porridge they should realise that such terms are likely to be applied.

Comment

I think a fan is a fan, some fans are more passionate than others but I don't think it makes one more of a fan than another. I love to watch the Rams on Sunday no matter how bad or how well they play. It is entertainment for me, if they win I'm happy and if they lose it bums me out but it in no way gives me any feeling of anger or it's not going to ruin my week. I've been unemployed for almost a year, struggle with making my mortgage and have a wife and 2 kids, whether or not the Rams win or lose is the least of my worries at this time. The bottom line is if you sell your tickets or walk away from the tv on Sunday because you feel you could spend your time doing something more worthwhile then that's great for you. Watching football on Sun is supposed to be a form of enjoyment. I don't think it makes you any less of a fan if you say "uncle" every now and then. As far as being critical of the team, isn't that what message boards like this are all about? To discuss your team in good times and bad? It just so happens that lately there's been alot more bad than good. Hang in there dude.
      sigpic

Comment

Can't say any of that is wrong. I'm a die hard fan, but I will probably be passing this year to go see the Rams play Arizona. But of course I'm a college student and I am very tight on funds. However, I do have better things to do on Sunday.

Ever since our losing streak, its hard to get up early in the morning now. I still wear my gear, but the result is usually the same. =/

Comment

A Ram salute to the friends / fans here in the Clan (that salute usually being a hard, bone-bending, tough headbutt among big horn rams).

I'm with you NJ. These are the days when our ramhood / fanhood may be questioned but at least here in the Clan I feel most of us are downright diehards, hurting, screaming, throwing tantrums, or just waiting it out, but nevertheless, bleeding blue and gold.

:helmet:

Comment

Unfortunately, not all fans are created equal.

Comment

To NJ: Don't worry about what someone says to you over the internet EVER. Only you know if you are a true fan, no one else. Some people seem to think that being a true fan is blindly agreeing with every move the FO makes, and supporting every player. Some fans let out frustrastion by criticizing and being an arm-chair QB's... It doesn't make either party less of a fan if they both share the same goal to someday see STL back in the SB.

Comment

Fettmaster, I agree with you but at the same time about the internet however I consider these guys friends. They are Rams fans and I appreciate that they go through what I go through each Sunday. I check this website every day when I'm on the computer and I look forward to what others have to say. We can all relate to one another so I take a lot of what everyone says to heart. There's a camaraderie the ClanRam has and to see it deteriorate is sad. I think, naturally, the bad seeds will find themselves off the forums and things will get back to normal (especially when we start winning). Regardless, in my eyes ClanRam is lightyears ahead of most forums I've ever seen whether it's a sports forum or not and I'm proud to be a part of it.
                Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                  Unfortunately, not all fans are created equal.

How boring would THAT be?!?!
                  RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

I feel you pain on number 4 NJ! I think it was in 1994 or 95 I got a group of about 30 Rams and Raiders fans together from work and we went see them play in Anaheim. A sad performance by the Rams that day and a bunch of grief from my Raider buddies and I gave them all the finger and walked out. Needless to say when I get on that plane to Chicago on Thursday to go watch them again, I have not learned any lesson if there was one!

Rams Rule, everyone else sucks, good night now!!
                    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Is questioning ones fanaticism the same as questioning his patriotism?

A patriot dosen't care if he has the right to criticize because he feels as a patriot he has the obligation to criticize that which he loves so dearly in order to protect it.

Is this true of the fan?
                      Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment

Okkie...some might say painting your face blue (william Wallace, "Braveheart") might be a mark of a fan...or just be proud to admit your a Ram fan in a crowded room is enough.

Fact is you, the reader know if you are one and you don't have to explain yourself to no one but yourself

Comment

Originally posted by live4ramin View Post
                          Is questioning ones fanaticism the same as questioning his patriotism?

A patriot dosen't care if he has the right to criticize because he feels as a patriot he has the obligation to criticize that which he loves so dearly in order to protect it.

Is this true of the fan?
                          I'm sorry can you repeat that please?

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Ok i'll answer the questions with how i feel on the subject.

1.No it doesnt make you less of a fan to spend more time with your family, and watching less rams games.
                            2.No, it doesnt make you less of a fan if you decide you dont want to pay money to see your favorite team lose.
                            3.No, it doesnt make you less of a fan if you decide that going to a game is to much of a hassled and you decide to make some extra money off your decision
                            4.This was is conditional, yes you can decide to leave at the half. But you try(if you can) to find a radio station to listen to the broadcast of the game. If you give up on the game and dont support your team through a whole game, that makes you less of a fan in my opinion.
                            5.This depends on how you go about it, if you criticize the team you are mearley expressing your opinion, no that doesnt make you less of a fan. However if you are on a rams board suck as this and chime in to every conversation with something like DGR did (BULGER SUX!) that isnt expressing your opinion so much as not supporting your team and the players that give you the best shot at winning. You are also less of a fan if at any time during the season you start hoping your team loses in the hope of better draft positions.

This is just my opinion on the matter, I answered every one of your questions with what I believe is the right thing to do. Just to recap, the main thing that makes you less of a fan in my eyes is not supporting your team and rooting for them to win, when you are watching or following the game in some way.

Comment

Who knows what the definition of "true fan" really is. Everybody deals with losing and frustration in their own way. I don't have a problem with any of the things listed in the original post, but there are behaviors that make me question some so-called "fans".

Encouraging others to wear a paper bag and feel embarrassed about their team, even in jest, takes things too far.

Someone being completely negative ALL the time, makes me wonder what the point is.

Finally, watching "fans" after a game run to the tunnel where the team is leaving the field so they can hurl insults and throw trash at the players (which I witnessed first hand last year after the Giants game) is simply unacceptable. Those people are not fans.

Comment