The confidence of the enemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The confidence of the enemy

I want everyone to stroll on over to dabears.com and go to their forums. Find the thread that says "can we beat the rams at home?" and look at the confidence level of that team. The confidence level of that fan base is astounding, they honestly think they will get blown out. Now thats not to say they are bad fans, they are also going through a rough year. But i dont ever remember us think we were gonna lose to a team with the same kind of record we had(seahakws, jags, lions,redskins) all of these teams had similar records to ours when we played them and to my knowledge most of us though these game were at least winnable.

So here is my question. Has years of losing conditioned us to accept it and somehow always look for the win? Does that last sentence even make sense? Or do teams that are used to winning(bears,patriots,colts,steelers) so not used to losing that their confidence plummets?

Re: The confidence of the enemy

Losing is contagious. When you lose all the time, people expect the worst. This is the difficulty coaches face in trying to turn around a franchise. Guys expect to lose, wondering "what will happen next to prevent us from winning?". It's human nature. Conversely, winning breeds confidence and thus, more winning. This is true at all levels of sport. As a coach, I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

I must admit, as a fan it is difficult to think we're going to win each week. We say it, hope it, will it to happen, but objectively without saying so verbally know its a tall order. Reality sets in.

My brother is a big Bears fan. I can tell you they are thoroughly disgusted with their season, given the fact that they paid handsomely for Jay Cutler, and he's played poorly. Many feel he is being poorly coached and not being given play sets to utilize his strengths as a player. And people have been down on Lovie Smith for a couple of years now.

Even with all that said, it's hard to believe that fans would be so adamant that a 1-9 team would come into their stadium and blow the doors off the Bears.

Comment

If we won that New Orleans game, I guarantee you we'd be on a streak.
      Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

I remember going over to their message board a few years ago and posting up that I thought the Rams were going to win. They thought I was crazy, but it turned out to be a close game. We did lose though. They were pretty nice after the loss. That return guy killed us in that game....was his name hester? Got a couple of TDs for them.

Maybe I will go over say hello. I have not wandered on to many other teams message boards this year.
        sigpic

Comment

I went over and said hello. Confidence of the fans is shot. They are hoping to have Lovie removed, and some say the players are not motivated. Maybe the odds are better than we realize.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UtterBlitz View Post
            I went over and said hello. Confidence of the fans is shot. They are hoping to have Lovie removed, and some say the players are not motivated. Maybe the odds are better than we realize.
            Ya i didnt post anything, but the confidence over there was very poor. Support for lovie must be at an all time low. Then again i would be mad to if we traded two first round picks(is that right?) for jay cutler and he didnt preform.

Comment

Poor Lovie....I liked him when he was here. I thought he did a good job for us as a DC.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm sure their confidence is shot.

We are totally used to it. When we win a game, we go help old people cross the road, we give children balloons at parks, we save kittens from trees.

But when we lose, it's just another Sunday. It is contagious and we have been diagnosed to the highest degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooselini View Post
                  We are totally used to it. When we win a game, we go help old people cross the road, we give children balloons at parks, we save kittens from trees.
                  I put on my cape and boots and go fight crime for a few hours. How bout you?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RockinRam
                    After Two Decades of Agonizing Rams Football...No Remorse and Other Thoughts
                    by RockinRam
                    Look. I get it. The non-call on the PI will live in infamy as being one of the most blatant misses by an officiating crew for a long, long time. And I understand the Saints fans anguish. If we were in their situation, we would likely be saying and complaining about the same things.

But do I reaaaaally care?

No.

And neither should Rams nation. For the fans that have stuck with the team through the small amount of highs and the massive amount of lows over the past 20 years, this is the moment we’ve been dreaming of. Every Sam Bradford check-down pass, every ex-Titans cast-off performing poorly, every Jared Cook dropped catch, every time the camera panned to Scott Linehan standing around looking confused on the sideline, every time we felt so sorry for Steven Jackson for sacrificing his body for a horrendously performing franchise, every time Craig Dahl looked like he was running through quicksand to try to tackle someone, every time Jason Smith got beat, every time Alex Barron false started…we would tell ourselves in our head that one day the Rams would be winners and that our current struggles would be worth it. Or at least I would.

And now the time has finally come. Not only have the Rams made it to the playoffs in back-to-back years, we are going to the SUPERBOWL. Honestly, it is still pretty surreal to me. How are we finally this good? Are we prominent again? Or is this fleeting and the football gods are just teasing us? Whatever it is, this is our time to enjoy the moment and bask in the glory of some of the most legitimate football I have seen this team play since I became a fan.

For those that are still trying to lead the crusade against the naysayers who claim that we don’t deserve to be in the Superbowl, I say just let it be. We indeed deserve to play on February 3rd. The Saints, for all their complaining about the refs, did not seem to complain when they had zero penalties called on them until 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Let them cry out. I would too if I was starting to realize that my future HOF QB is no longer the same talent that he was and was looking to place blame on anything else but my team.

But you know what? What a time to be alive as a Rams fan. And what a time to be a member of this board. I think we’ve all gone through some highs and lows together. I know I have personally been pretty hard on people or would get in frequent quarrels. Looking back, I think its because we all care so much about this team that we even care enough to argue over an internet board.

This board means a lot to me. Growing up (and still today), I am basically the only Rams fan that I know. None of my friends are Rams fans. I still remember attending my first Rams game during the 2017 season in Los Angeles and walking around feeling honestly a little weird. I had never been surrounded by that many Rams fans before. Over the course of my fandom, this has...
                    -01-22-2019, 09:27 AM
                  • Varg6
                    The season so far, is it a success?
                    by Varg6
                    We are rebuilding. Who doesn't know that?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, each week regardless of win or loss I want to see progress. What we saw yesterday was progress. Do I want to win every game? Of course, but we can't expect that just yet. However, I know we are headed down the right path and the beautiful thing is, we are young. These guys are just going to get better with more experience.

I think we are finally developing that team chemistry we've desperately needed for years. I'm so proud of these guys and I feel like if we play like we did on Sunday, we can beat just about any team in the NFL. I don't expect us to go 8-8 but honestly I wouldn't be too shocked if we got on a roll and achieved that record.

Going back to the thread's question, is the season a success so far? On paper it isn't, but progress wise, absolutely.
                    :helmet:
                    -11-16-2009, 08:01 AM
                  • norcalramfan
                    The RAMS ARE WHAT THEY ARE!!
                    by norcalramfan
                    I mean that in an optimistic tone. We lost to a team that is better than us. nothing to be ashamed of though ,because we are not one of the elite teams in the NFL right now. What this team is. Is a work in progress. We all cheer for them to win every game, but the reality of the situation is , that this rams squad is better than the last two seasons but is one maybe two good drafts from becoming a truly elite team. Linehan will need time to mold this team in his image and attitude. So far , If you look carefully , they are improving. GO RAMS!! :r
                    -10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
                    Rams=Braves?
                    by Guest
                    Yes, I shudder at the thought. But before ya'll panic, there are a couple differences between the two. First off, the bravos LOST there first meeting at the Big Show(1991), whereas the Rams WON(99). As a matter of fact, the Bravos lost their second meeting as well. Also, the braves have been there 5, count em' FIVE times and have only one ONCE. Rams of course twice and won once. But this is where the differences end.
                    Braves did, do, great in regular season, have tons of front runner fans, and fizzle out at the end. I see the same thing in the Rams. I'm not saying the Rams "fizzled" last year, but it's pretty close, in sports terms. And even in 2000, when they didn;'t even make it, the Rams started out very strong, then fizzled. The Braves, because they've only got one ring to show for it, look like bums IN MY EYES! The Rams will be picked to win it all this year, just like the braves used to be years ago. "Too much talent" the media says. I hate that connotation!! I DON"T WANT THIS HAPPENING TO THE RAMS!! I BELIEVE THE ONLY WAY TO AVOID THIS COMPARISON IS A SB WIN THIS YEAR. HEY THAT'S A LOT OF PRESSURE, I KNOW, BUT I'D RATHER HAVE 1 MORE WIN IN THE SB, THAN SHOW UP 5 MORE TIMES AND LOSE!!!!!!!!
                    Look, I'll be a Rams fan for life, that's for sure, I just feel it's imperative they don't look like those Bills (sorry DJ) or Braves, who seem to have NOTHING to show for all the talent they supposedly had. Can the Rams be like my great Yankees?!! Do it for me GOD!! But seriously, The Rams are going ALL THE WAY next year BABY!!! AM I ALONE?? NO WAY, JUST ASK YODA!! !;)
                    -04-08-2002, 12:46 PM
                  • ButterCup8119
                    Losing trend?
                    by ButterCup8119
                    Hello everyone!
                    I was thinking about the Rams and the current record, and especially yesterday's game. I do not want to stir up controversy, and I am sorry if I offended anyone with my "bandwagon fan" remark yesterday. I guess we were all upset about the game. I hate to see the Rams lose, and I am sure everyone else here does also.
                    Anyways, what I am getting to in this post, does anyone here think that losing could be a trend? Meaning, if a team loses one week (badly), that they just don't play up to potential the week afterwards? Almost everyone thinks that the first Seahawks game last year (where the Rams made that awesome comeback) really started a downhill turn for Seattle's entire season. Could that still linger in the minds of Seattle's returning players? I have heard before that the game of football is 90% mental. I don't know if that is true, but if it is then all Rams fans should hope that our team can overcome yesterday's loss because we can all agree that for whatever reason, it was bad.
                    I don't mean to sound negative or ramble. I just wanted to see what everyone thinks.
                    I personally still think that on February 5th, 2006, I will be watching Mike Martz holding the Lombardi Trophy. GO RAMS!
                    -10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
                  Working...
                  X