What it will take to fix the Rams NFL Franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it will take to fix the Rams NFL Franchise

1. Make Dan Dierdorf involved, possibly in Public Relations/marketing as the new "face of the Rams"

2. bring in Marshall Faulk in a personnel capacity / advisor to Devaney

3. Give Devaney 1-2 more years to get it right as GM...If he keeps taking the "safe" path, fire him.

4. Whatever is takes, hire Bill Cowher as HC. Give him whatever he wants short of GM role. If Devaney fails and is fired, give Faulk the GM job and Cowher final say over personnel decisions. That should satisfy his ego.

5. Bring back Martz as OC (in the booth, not on the field)

6. Offer Spags the DC job, if he refuses let him go and bring in someone like Rivera with DC experience. No more "learn on the job" garbage.

These moves should restore a measure of confidence and certainly a measure of excitement to the fan base, which is owned the biggest apology in the history of professional sports. It may well equal increased ticket sales.

I have come to the conclusion that Spags and his inept assistants were nothing more than putting a bandaid on a cancerous lesion, no matter how many endorsements they get from Richie Incognito. The Rams are in their death throes.

I can't help but feel, unless there are changes this dramatic, this franchise is doomed, totally and forever.

6 wins out of 48 games is my evidence.

Re: What it will take to fix the Rams NFL Franchise

And who will be paying for the no doubt massive salaries people like faulk rivera and cowher will be demanding?

Edit: ANd for that matter how do we no faulk will be a good hire in that role?

Comment

Originally posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
      And who will be paying for the no doubt massive salaries people like faulk rivera and cowher will be demanding?

Edit: ANd for that matter how do we no faulk will be a good hire in that role?

New ownership should be able to cover the salaries...they don't count against the cap, remember?

You don't know about Faulk, that's why I said bring him in as a personnel advisor capacity, to learn with Devaney. He wouldn't take over as GM until at least a couple years down the line.

It's called reading comprehension, dude.

Comment

Other than sticking with Devaney, I don't agree with any of your suggestions.

Comment

I think what it will take to fix the franchise is for this team to :

#1 Have an ownership group in place that is committed to the Rams.
          #2 Start bringing in some FA who have been on winning squads. The "culture" of losing is deep rooted at Rams park. Don't underestimate the impact Faulk had as a leader of men when he was playing for this team.
          #3 Make the HC position a secure job to have. Successful organizations give their coaching staff more than 1-2 years to implement their plan.
          #4 Be smart with your draft picks Billy! Free agents can make more of an immediate impact but smart drafting makes dynasties.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
            Other than sticking with Devaney, I don't agree with any of your suggestions.
            Well, the Avenger has spoken. Thus, it must be so. :|

Comment

Ramsong-

I appreciate your input. My comments in response:

1) Bringing in Dan Dierdorf is a reasonable suggestion given his ties to the St. Louis area and his past career. I don't know if he'd be interested in such a thing, but it is a worthy thought.

2) Bringing in Faulk in some capacity is something I think should be done. He was a winning player, an intelligent guy and a person beloved by the people of St. Louis and Rams fans everywhere. I would NOT, however, bring him into the organization in a critical role where someone with more experience would be a better fit.

3) Billy Devaney is considered to be a good football man. He needs some more time to pare the roster, draft intelligently and get us back on track. Two more years is a reasonable time frame to start showing vast improvement, or he'll be gone.

4) Bill Cowher would not come to St. Louis. He will wait for a more attractive opportunity to enter coaching again, and let's face it: the Rams job is not an attractive opportunity to a guy who is in a position to pick and choose his next job.

5) Mike Martz did a great job as o-coordinator in his time with the Rams but has long since worn out his welcome. He's also left two jobs in a short period of time since he left the Rams, which means to me he's probably a guy who is not the easiest guy in the world to work with or get along with.

6) Spags would NEVER agree to resign as head coach and come back as d-coordinator with the same club. Such a move would be unparalleled in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsong View Post
                New ownership should be able to cover the salaries...they don't count against the cap, remember?

You don't know about Faulk, that's why I said bring him in as a personnel advisor capacity, to learn with Devaney. He wouldn't take over as GM until at least a couple years down the line.

It's called reading comprehension, dude.
                It's also called common sense, Faulk has no experience with that sort of position, how bout start small and bring him in as running back coach. WHen will new ownership buy the team to spend all this money? Will a new owner fire our whole coaching staff, and hire new ones? Why would spags take a job as D-coordinater? Why would cowher come into a floundering franchise?

The plan you have is a dream, or at best a perfect storm.

Comment

[B]1. Make Dan Dierdorf involved, possibly in Public Relations/marketing as the new "face of the Rams"

6 wins out of 48 games is my evidence.
                  Dear Ramsong, i love your moxie. There is a bias/old guard on this website that really do not like this type of approach but applaud you for at least putting it out there. It gives "pause for thought" and really, this team is at all time low so that is a good thing. To think, we are one fake punt play away from 23 losses in a row.

IMO, above all else, we need committed ownership first and foremost. The sale of this team needs to happen soon.

Comment

Well, the Avenger has spoken. Thus, it must be so. :|
                    You posted an opinion. I disagreed with (most of) it. That's how a discussion board works sometimes.

I don't see a problem with the Front Office or Coaching Staff. This team needs more talent.

Comment

I would argue that going all youth at the receiver corps is the exact opposite of the "safe" route, so I don't even know where your criticism of Devaney is coming from.

Comment

1. Make Dan Dierdorf involved, possibly in Public Relations/marketing as the new "face of the Rams"
                        Ha. Maybe Dan should be the face of the 'tards. Jack Youngblood will ALWAYS be the face of the Rams ... whether he wants to or not. ;)
                        If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Comment

1) Get a GM that knows his stuff and cares. Check.

2) Hire a Head Coach that knows how to win a Championship. Check.

3) Establish a system and don't change it around with every bump in the road. Check.

4) Bring the players together. Check.

5) Make decisions based on creating a long term successful program and not a one year flash in the pan. Check.

6) Ignore fans that want to take a wrecking ball to 1 through 5 after just one season. Fingers Crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
                            1) Get a GM that knows his stuff and cares. Check.

2) Hire a Head Coach that knows how to win a Championship. Check.

3) Establish a system and don't change it around with every bump in the road. Check.

4) Bring the players together. Check.

5) Make decisions based on creating a long term successful program and not a one year flash in the pan. Check.

6) Ignore fans that want to take a wrecking ball to 1 through 5 after just one season. Fingers Crossed.
                            I would say you are being too generous with your "checks" time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                              You posted an opinion. I disagreed with (most of) it. That's how a discussion board works sometimes.

I don't see a problem with the Front Office or Coaching Staff. This team needs more talent.
                              The purpose of my OP is to generate discussion. ...the same as my "poking" you. You said you didn't agree, I just wanted to hear an expended opinion. Nothing personal.

Comment

Working...
                              X