Chris Long in Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Long in Perspective

How many pure (Don't also play lb like Brian Orakpo or are in the 3-4) DE's in there first or second year have more sacks than Chris Long? The answer 2 Cliff Avril and Kroy Bierman with 4.5 and 5.

Re: Chris Long in Perspective

I've been seeing a lot of improvement this year and he's looking really nice in the past 4 or 5 games. He didn't look great last season, but that's okay. I hope we keep him for a long time.

Comment

All your going to get from the Long haters is that the DE class the last couple years was weak and nobody deserved a high first round pick.

I am not a Long hater though.
      Semper Fi!

Comment

I was encouraged to see Long make some of those sacks at times when it really could have made a big difference in games, eg sacks in the 4th qtr of close games with New Orleans and AZ.

That has to be a big part of the definition of what you want from a top draft pick; a difference maker,no?

Comment

There does seem to be a group here that is as dedicated to hating Long as much as others seemed dedicated to hating Bulger. Long has better stats than his father did in his first two years and is in the top 3 or 4 rookie DE's. All the while playing on a team with serious talent issues.

But that doesn't mean much to people looking for someone to blame and point fingers at. Now that Bulger is essentially out of the picture, possibly for good, they have to have someone to bash.

I have watched every single Rams game this season and what I have seen is teams keying on Long. Making sure they know where he is, and double teaming him as often as possible. And yet he is still in there every single down he's on the field. And have applied pretty consistent pressure, even when he doesn't get all the way to the QB. If he continues to develop this way, and gets some help added through FA or the draft, he is going to be a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampingitup View Post
            There does seem to be a group here that is as dedicated to hating Long as much as others seemed dedicated to hating Bulger. Long has better stats than his father did in his first two years and is in the top 3 or 4 rookie DE's. All the while playing on a team with serious talent issues.

But that doesn't mean much to people looking for someone to blame and point fingers at. Now that Bulger is essentially out of the picture, possibly for good, they have to have someone to bash.

I have watched every single Rams game this season and what I have seen is teams keying on Long. Making sure they know where he is, and double teaming him as often as possible. And yet he is still in there every single down he's on the field. And have applied pretty consistent pressure, even when he doesn't get all the way to the QB. If he continues to develop this way, and gets some help added through FA or the draft, he is going to be a monster.
            EXACTLY!

Couldn't have said it any better. Anyone who actually watches the game will see and hear the announcers pointing out double teams on Long and what not.

Comment

Long's been playing hard and been inches from making plays all year. Commentators recognize it, other coaches recognize it, smart fans recognize it ...

Unfortunately, smart fans seem to be few and far in between ...

Comment

going by stats alone will deceive you everytime. The pressure this guy creates and the double teams he draws is huge and is going to do nothing but increase his value next year when we have suh, carriker/ryan, long, and possibly little on that dline.

Comment

Originally posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
                  Long's been playing hard and been inches from making plays all year. Commentators recognize it, other coaches recognize it, smart fans recognize it ...

Unfortunately, smart fans seem to be few and far in between ...
                  Just head to the Edward Jones Dome when the Rams play, that's where the smart fans hang out.

And Chris Long just had a monster game today against Arizona, definitely the best of his career. I've never seen somebody work so hard in such a lost effort by the rest of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rammer View Post
                    Just head to the Edward Jones Dome when the Rams play, that's where the smart fans hang out.

And Chris Long just had a monster game today against Arizona, definitely the best of his career. I've never seen somebody work so hard in such a lost effort by the rest of the team.
                    Lost effort by the rest of the team?

How did you come to this conclusion? This game was much closer than the score. Some bad plays by young players creating a bigger spread.

The entire defense line was solid in this game, both Long and Adeyanju getting pressure. There were little if any running lanes up the middle. Between Long, Adeyanju, Douzable, Ramsey, and Scott, there were 2 sacks and 7 QB hits.

Looked like everybody, with maybe the exception of Barron (who is an anomoly) was busting tail today. DB's were good in run support. Receivers played hard. Null hung in the pocket ...

With the exception of Barron, I liked what I saw. Watch the 4th quarter, when even down significantly, our defensive line was getting off the snap quicker and more aggressively than Arizona's ...

Again, both DE's were very good today ...

Comment

We came into the season thinking Little would comand double teams opening it up for Long. It has been the opposite, with Long getting those double teams and opening it up for the rest of the line. Imagine Long with a guy like Suh who also commands double teams, IMO he becomes a double digit sack guy. One of the main reasons Orakpo is so successful as a rookie is Albert Haynesworth.

Suh, Long, Laurantis, and OJ. In 2 years or so when we actually have a good record they will all be pro bowlers mark my words.

Comment

Long was amazing today against Arizona. He was all over the field creating pressure, clogging up running lanes, making tackles, knocking Warner around, and yes, even dropping into coverage, all in addition to getting a sack and a forced fumble. I've seen nothing to change my belief that he will soon be a star in the NFL.

Comment

Long is beginning to show that he has the talent to excel in this league. As those around him improve, or are replaced by upgrades, then we will see him reach his potential...

Comment

Chris Long is going to be amazing, I've doubted him at times but now I think he'll be top 10 DE in the League soon.

Comment

We need to bring in a good DT so that he won't get double teamed and not keyed on..... If you do that then he will get the stats and the long haters will stop hating because I love how Haters base everything on stats... AND Madden...

Comment