Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for the Clan?

Draft: 1994 - 2nd round (4th pick) by the Los Angeles Rams

Looks like Isaac Bruce may have played his final game. Too bad it was as a whinner but thats the bizz.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think Isaac Bruce is a Hall of Famer?

2. What is your favorite Isaac Bruce moment?

My response

A couple of years ago my response would have been no. The reason I changed my mind is they finally allowed Art Monk in. Now that he's in Bruce has a good change IMHO.

The Superbowl catch was amazing and the Rams never needed Bruce more and he came up with the big play in the big game. Never understood why everyone called Torry Big Game cause I always thought that title should have been given to Faulk or Bruce not Torry.

Go Rams

Re: Questions for the Clan?

I think there is no question Bruce is a Hall of Fame WR, even a few seasons ago. As far as comparison to Monk, Bruce in his prime was so much better than Monk they don't even belong in the same conversation.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Dominating D View Post
      Draft: 1994 - 2nd round (4th pick) by the Los Angeles Rams

Looks like Isaac Bruce may have played his final game. Too bad it was as a whinner but thats the bizz.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think Isaac Bruce is a Hall of Famer?

2. What is your favorite Isaac Bruce moment?

My response

A couple of years ago my response would have been no. The reason I changed my mind is they finally allowed Art Monk in. Now that he's in Bruce has a good change IMHO.

The Superbowl catch was amazing and the Rams never needed Bruce more and he came up with the big play in the big game. Never understood why everyone called Torry Big Game cause I always thought that title should have been given to Faulk or Bruce not Torry.

Go Rams
      Bruce is a Hall Of Famer, no question in my mind,the super bowl catch is the greatest moment for me with the td catch against the vikings in the first playoff game a close second, and I believe that Holt gave himself that nickname Big Game.
      heres a thought on Bruce,the niners are not going to bring him back so the Rams sign him for I game and introduce him with the offensive starters and can you imagine how crazy the dome will go with Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce,then if it were up to me I would let him start,throw him a pass and then take him out to the largest standing ovation the dome has ever seen,he deserves it and the fans deserve to send him into retirement that way.The Rams should make this happen.

Comment

1. By any objective measure, he is a Hall of Famer. He is currently ranked 5th all-time in receptions, 2nd in receiving yards, and 9th in receiving TDs. He also has a game winning catch in the Super Bowl on his resume. He's accomplished this without ever being the kind of "Diva" that is all too common to the WR position. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee he will be elected, but he definitely should be.

2. The Super Bowl TD is the obvious answer, but I'd go with his performance in Week 4 against the Niners in 1999. He scored 4 TDs as the Rams finally beat the Niners after years of being dominated. Great game and a great performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude View Post
          I think there is no question Bruce is a Hall of Fame WR, even a few seasons ago. As far as comparison to Monk, Bruce in his prime was so much better than Monk they don't even belong in the same conversation.

Stats are very similar. Monk played in an ERA that and team that loved to run in the power formation and throw only when they had too.

Art Monk
          16 years

Rec 940
          YDS 12,721
          AVG 13.5
          TD's 68

Isaac Bruce
          16 years

Rec 1,024
          YDS 15,208
          AVG 14.9
          TD's 91

the obvious difference to me is the TD's. But with Riggins I can see how Monk probably did not see the ball in the Red Zone.

Go Rams

Comment

First Ballot IMO. He was the anti Diva before Andre Johnson was

Comment

Yes he is a HOF but it may take some time kinda like Jack Youngblood in term of the wait time.

I know it obvious but the Super Bowl catch when you make a play like that in the biggest game of his life and gave the rams there only Super Bowl win.
              :ramlogo:

Comment

Originally posted by jkramsfan View Post
                Bruce is a Hall Of Famer, no question in my mind,the super bowl catch is the greatest moment for me with the td catch against the vikings in the first playoff game a close second, and I believe that Holt gave himself that nickname Big Game.
                heres a thought on Bruce,the niners are not going to bring him back so the Rams sign him for I game and introduce him with the offensive starters and can you imagine how crazy the dome will go with Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce,then if it were up to me I would let him start,throw him a pass and then take him out to the largest standing ovation the dome has ever seen,he deserves it and the fans deserve to send him into retirement that way.The Rams should make this happen.
                Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with every word here.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ramsbruce
                  Where Are They Now? Isaac Bruce, Super Bowl XXXIV Champion
                  by ramsbruce
                  Thomas Neumann
                  ESPN.com

Claim to fame: Isaac Bruce was a cornerstone of the St. Louis Rams' famous Greatest Show on Turf offense, teaming with Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner and Torry Holt to light up scoreboards around the league on a weekly basis.

Bruce was drafted out of Memphis State by the Los Angeles Rams in the second round of the 1994 draft, and he quickly established himself as one of the league's most reliable receivers. He relocated to St. Louis with the Rams in 1995 and ultimately played 14 seasons with the franchise. He was named to four Pro Bowl teams, including three in a row when the Rams led the NFL in both points and yardage from 1999 to 2001. He caught six passes, including the 73-yard game-winning touchdown, in Super Bowl XXXIV and recorded five receptions when the Rams narrowly lost Super Bowl XXXVI.

Bruce played his final two seasons with the San Francisco *****, but returned to St. Louis to announce his retirement in June 2010. At the time, ranked second in receiving yards (15,208), fifth in receptions (1,024) and ninth in touchdown catches (91). He currently ranks fourth, ninth and 12th in those categories, respectively. Bruce is the career leader in each of those three categories for the Rams franchise, and the team retired his No. 80 jersey in October 2010.

Prior to his retirement, Bruce held the distinction of being the last active NFL player who had competed for a Los Angeles-based franchise.

Catching up: Bruce, 43, lives in South Florida with wife Clegzette and their daughters, 6-year-old Isabella and 9-month-old Charis. He opened the Bruce Zone gym in Fort Lauderdale last year, with a keen interest in personal training and injury avoidance and rehabilitation, and he enjoys performing youth ministry work at his church, Words of Life, in North Miami Beach.

He maintains a charitable organization, the Isaac Bruce Foundation, which focuses on educational opportunities and promoting fitness and healthy lifestyles. The foundation began in 2006 and is based in the St. Louis area, but it also awards an annual scholarships to students from the University of Memphis and Broward County, Florida. In addition to scholarships, the foundation provides financial assistance to students who need transportation to college -- a situation he was in when he traveled to attend junior college in Los Angeles.

"When I award the scholarships every year, I totally enjoy calling up the winners and just heading the screams of excitement and the rejoicing on the other end of the phone. I truly enjoy that. Those are moments I'll always cherish and remember."

For the past two seasons, Bruce has also volunteered as wide receivers coach at his alma mater, Dillard High in Fort Lauderdale. "I want to help the kids mature into young men," Bruce said. "At the same time, they can learn some skills as far as playing...
                  -12-17-2015, 09:21 AM
                • RamWraith
                  Bruce Continues Climb
                  by RamWraith
                  Monday, December 17, 2007
                  By Nick Wagoner
                  Senior Writer

Marshall Faulk will make history Thursday night when he is the first St. Louis Ram to have his number retired.

Someday, Isaac Bruce will almost certainly join him in the rafters. But as fans show their appreciation for Faulk, it might be a good idea to do the same for Bruce, who is on a collision course with history in his own right.

Bruce continued his climb up the charts of the league’s greatest receivers last week, passing Marvin Harrison for fourth place on the all-time receiving yards list. When all is said and done, Bruce hopes to see his No. 80 rise toward the heavens.

“As soon as I’m done, go ahead and retire that number, and put Henry Ellard’s name right on top of it,” Bruce said.

The catch that moved him past Harrison was patented Bruce. He deked Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson downfield and hauled in a 37-yard pass. That gain nudged him past Harrison. He went on to finish with 72 receiving yards, pushing him within striking distance of the next name on the list.

Entering Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh at the Edward Jones Dome, Bruce needs just 22 yards to pass James Lofton for third place on said list.

The always humble Bruce is enjoying his rise up the ranks and says he’s honored to be mentioned with the likes of Lofton and Harrison.

“It’s big when you sit back and look at the numbers,” Bruce said. “Like I say, I am very grateful. I give praise to God daily for the numbers that are being surpassed. When you look at the guys and the names, it’s amazing that your name can be in the same group with the Tim Browns, the Jerry Rices, guys like James Lofton. It’s amazing and humbling.”

Bruce’s 13,983 receiving yards make him the most productive receiver among active players. In other words, no player in the league right now has accounted for more yards than Bruce.

The only players sitting ahead of Bruce after he surpasses Lofton are Rice and Brown. Rice has set the bar extremely high, accumulating about 8,000 more yards than No. 2 Brown, but Bruce is certainly in striking distance of Brown.

“I will enjoy being No. 3, but I’m looking forward to No. 2,” Bruce said. “It’s still going so it’s not my time to sit back and look at the entire body of work.”

In 2007, Bruce has 46 catches for 607 yards and three touchdowns. Although he won’t reach the 1,000-yard mark like he did in 2006, Bruce remains productive even now in his 14th season.

Of course, Bruce’s continued precise route running and ability to perform comes as no surprise to those who have been around him.

“I’m not amazed at all,” Faulk said. “I watched him. I understand. He takes it serious. He works out as hard as anyone. It all makes sense to me why he is still in the league competing. If...
                  -12-19-2007, 07:03 AM
                • CarolinaRam
                  Bruce a Future Hall of Famer?
                  by CarolinaRam
                  Since we're talking about Isaac, I thought I should pose the question.

What is the criteria for Hall of Fame as a WR? In the last 20 years, there have only been eight receivers inducted (I counted).

Biletnikoff
                  Joiner
                  Largent
                  Lofton
                  Don Maynard
                  Tommy McDonald
                  Swann
                  Stallworth

Right now, there are three receivers in the semifinals for HoF - Art Monk, Andre Reed and Michael Irvin.

In the years coming, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Cris Carter are all shoe-ins. Personally, I think they should have expedited Rice's induction. He should have made his retirement speech and HOF speech at the same time.

Bruce is currently 10th in yards, and is sure to move up the ladder. Only 600 yards separates him from Irving Fryar, eighth on the list. After that, it's only a hop, skip and a jump to pass Steve Largent and then Andre Reed at sixth. I say if you pass Largent, you're in.

To make his HOF induction a sure thing, Isaac will have to have a few good years to finish out on. It wouldn't hurt to have a season like Jerry Rice did a few years back.
                  -12-18-2005, 07:25 AM
                • AvengerRam_old
                  Bruce Closing In On Irvin
                  by AvengerRam_old
                  Isaac Bruce needs 27 yards to pass Michael Irvin on the career receiving yards list. Bruce already has more receptions and TDs than Irvin.

Makes you wonder... why is is that we so often hear people saying that Irvin should be in the Hall of Fame while few say this about Bruce? After this Sunday, the only indiviual categories that Bruce will likely trail Irvin in will be stupid TV quotes and felony charges.

Let me hear it Ram fans...

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!!
                  -09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
                • RamWraith
                  Rice retirement leaves Bruce as No. 1
                  by RamWraith
                  R.B. FALLSTROM
                  Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Isaac Bruce has been a Ram so long he was with the team in Los Angeles.

Now comes the reward for his longevity. Jerry Rice's retirement earlier this week puts Bruce at the top of the active receiving yardage list.

"It's big," Bruce said. "It means a little to me, but Jerry will always be No. 1 in my eyes."

Bruce is entering his 12th season with the Rams, who in their final year on the West Coast in 1994 made him a second-round pick out of Memphis. And he's showing no signs of slowing after ranking among the leaders with 89 catches, a 14.5-yard average and six touchdowns last season.

He's coming off his seventh career 1,000-yard season.

"I deal with getting better," Bruce said. "I always look to add steps, not lose steps."

Bruce is climbing the NFL career charts, too. He enters Sunday's opener at San Francisco needing 82 yards to pass Hall of Famer Don Maynard for 12th on the career list and 153 to surpass Michael Irvin for 11th. With 74 touchdowns he's two shy of moving into 20th place.

Throughout his career, he's done his job without fanfare or histrionics.

"Does he carry a Bic pen? No, I don't think he does," coach Mike Martz said. "Does he have a cell phone? No, I don't think he does. Is he quiet, humble, respectful, is he everything you want a player to be? Absolutely.

"Find a flaw in Isaac Bruce, I challenge anybody."

Bruce's accomplishments pale in comparison with Rice, who has 38 league records including career receptions (1,549), yards receiving (22,895) and touchdowns receiving (197).

There's no shame in that. He's just like every other wide receiver, operating in Rice's rather large shadow.

"Just in one sentence, he's what every receiver in this league aims to be," Bruce said. "We'll miss him."

But Bruce concedes nothing to Rice's dominance. With time and health he thinks he can even challenge those records.

"I believe I can," he said.

Bruce said he never really got to know Rice. But he squared off against him often enough, twice per season when Rice was with the ***** from 1994 to 2000.

And it's probably no coincidence that Bruce has had some big games against San Francisco, including an eight-catch, 188-yard game in 2000; a nine-catch, 173-yarder in 1995; a 134-yard game in 1999 and a 129-yarder in 2000. He caught 11 passes against the ***** in another '99 game.

Bruce believes the Rams' offense this year has the capability of challenging the outfit nicknamed the Greatest Show on Turf from 1999-2001 when Kurt Warner was in his heyday. The Rams still have the 1-2 receiving combination of Torry Holt and Bruce. Steven Jackson is set...
                  -09-08-2005, 06:11 AM
                Working...
                X