• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Season Finale Will Be Blacked Out

12.31.2009 3:46 pm
    Rams season finale will be blacked out
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

For the third home game in a row, the St. Louis Rams will be blacked out on local television. With more than 8,000 tickets remaining at the start of the week, the Rams did not seek an extension of the blackout deadline Thursday.

As a result, Sunday’s season finale against San Francisco at the Edward Jones Dome will be the ninth game blacked out since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995.

Re: Rams Season Finale Will Be Blacked Out

I really feel sorry for the ram's fan in St Louis. I hope new management would bring back the glory days

Comment

Pretty sad for St Louis.
      sigpic

Comment

It's not a lack of fans - it's a lack of fans willing to spend $70 or more to watch the team get pummelled. If the price was lower, say $40 a ticket, then I'd bet more fans would put butts in those seats.
        temp_4394_1467243487543_20
        RAMS!

Comment

With the product the organization has been putting on the field for the last few seasons they should buy the tickets.

Comment

I'll be there anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I haven't missed a Rams game all year.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rammer View Post
              I'll be there anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I haven't missed a Rams game all year.
              Ditto. Still, if I didn't have season tickets, there is zero chance I would have bought for this game. It's going to be more than half empty in there tomorrow. It's cold, two bad teams and the holidays are still rounding out.

JMO but the real rivalry lately is with the Seahawks. Everyone gets much more excited about that game it seems to me.

Comment

personally in the division it goes like this. Cardinals i dislike, ***** I despise, and Seahawks id like to see bombed by extremists...

I HATE losing to the Seahawks more than ANY other team..

Comment

earlier it was said a ticket costs $70. I pay $44 a ticket. right now you can gain entry for about $10 and then sit anywhere you like. Most St Louis is just fairweather unless its baseball.

I must say, that i have backed this team through the last few horrible seasons, but it really is getting demoralizing. I sometimes feel like staying in the parking lot then forcing myself to go in and watch the game.

At least i will get to hang out with my buddies in 9 degree weather tommorow.

Comment

Sadly, the game was on in my area (Sacramento). I watched for as long as I could before I had to avert my eyes.

Comment

Based on the way the game played out, it wasn't a bad thing to be blacked out.

If I was in St. Louis, and could gain access to the Dome for $10, I'd be there for every game.

As I stated in a previous post game tickets should have a max price of $25 if the team cannot produce a winning season. Maybe make it a league rule. That every ticket has to be sold (re-imbursed for season ticket holders) for no more than $25 until the team is at .500. Then they could be sold at face value.

Maybe this would even out the officiating, as the NFL gets a cut of those ticket prices, so the officials current biased officiating would be preventing a higher share of the ticket proceeds. Maybe the official is less likely to call that ticky-tack hold (the one they aren't calling against the opponent) on the 45yd TD play if it had no effect on the play.

gap

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                        Rams Request Blackout Exemption Again
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        11.19.2009 12:13 pm
                        Rams request blackout exemption again
                        By Jim Thomas
                        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

For the second week in a row, the Rams have asked for a 24-hour extension to the NFL’s sellout deadline. Without the extension, games must meet sellout requirements 72 hours before kickoff to be televised locally. The extension gives the Rams an extra day, or until Friday afternoon.

About 4,500 tickets remain for Sunday’s St. Louis Rams game against the Arizona Cardinals at the Edward Jones Dome. Kickoff is 3:05 p.m., St. Louis time.
                        -11-19-2009, 01:08 PM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Rams-Colts Sell Out
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        10.21.2009 4:22 pm
                        Rams-Colts sell out; Channel 4 will air game locally
                        By Bill Coats
                        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Although several hundred tickets remain, the St. Louis Rams have fulfilled NFL sellout requirements for Sunday’s home game against the undefeated Indianapolis Colts. That means that the game can be televised locally. KMOV, Channel 4, has the telecast, with kickoff set for noon.
                        -10-21-2009, 08:25 PM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Get Ready For Another St. Louis Rams Blackout
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        12.15.2009 10:16 pm
                        Get ready for another St. Louis Rams blackout
                        By Jim Thomas
                        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

For the second time this season, the Rams will wear their throwback uniforms from the 1999 Super Bowl championship season. The team also plans to honor former Rams great Merlin Olsen, who is battling cancer. There will be two new offensive guards in the lineup, and perhaps another appearance by rookie QB Keith Null.

But those in the St. Louis area will have to buy a ticket to see Sunday’s home game against the Houston Texans. With more than 8,000 tickets remaining as of Tuesday afternoon, the team is headed for its second straight blacked out game at the Edward Jones Dome, meaning no local television.
                        -12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
                      • RamWraith
                        Rams will be blacked out again
                        by RamWraith
                        By Bill Coats
                        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                        10/25/2007

The Rams’ home game Sunday against the Cleveland Browns failed to sell out by noon Thursday, which means that it won’t be televised here.

NFL rules mandate that if a game isn’t sold out 72 hours before kickoff, it will be blacked out in the home market. On Wednesday night, about 2,900 tickets remained on sale.

The Rams’ last game at the Edward Jones Dome, Oct. 7 against Arizona, also was blacked out.

Before this season, only one game -- last Christmas Eve vs. Washington -– had failed to sell out since the Rams moved here in 1995.

CBS will televise the Indianapolis at Carolina game in the St. Louis market on Sunday.
                        -10-25-2007, 01:56 PM
                      • r8rh8rmike
                        Rams Try To Get Fans Off Couch, Into Dome
                        by r8rh8rmike
                        Rams try to get fans off couch, into dome

BY JIM THOMAS
                        Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Over the first four games of the season, local television ratings for the Rams were up 51 percent over 2009, the largest increase of any NFL team.

Even with a diminished rating in Sunday's Meltdown in Motown — a 44-6 loss in Detroit — the Rams' average rating of 24.1 is the team's highest figure through five games since Scott Linehan's first Rams squad started 4-1 in 2006.

(The ratings figure is the percentage of homes with a TV set in the St. Louis area watching the game.)

With another home game this weekend, the challenge remains translating that television interest into ticket sales at the Edward Jones Dome.

"How do we bridge that gap?" said Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations.

Demoff said between 5,000 and 7,500 tickets remain for each of the Rams' remaining five home games. Sunday's game against San Diego, the four-time defending AFC West champ, is in the 5,000 area of unsold tickets. So is the Dec. 19 contest with Show-Me State rival Kansas City.

The Dec. 26 contest with San Francisco is in the 7,500 area, with the Oct. 31 Carolina game and the Nov. 21 Atlanta game somewhere in between. The Carolina game features the Isaac Bruce jersey retirement ceremony, and even if that game is televised locally, Demoff points out the Bruce ceremony won't be shown on live TV. You have to be in the stands to see it.

The Rams used a combination of corporate sponsorship, buying up some unsold tickets themselves, and some giveaways and promotions to get the first three games of the season on local TV. Demoff said the team is hoping for a similar arrangement this week with the San Diego game.

"We're going to be proactive trying to get every game on TV any way we can," Demoff said.

With what so far has been a noticeably improved product, Detroit game notwithstanding, the Rams want to get as much exposure as possible for that product. But there's only so many times you can tap into corporate sponsors. And only so many times the Rams will buy up unsold tickets before games start getting blacked out.

"And it's going to be a challenge without mass ticket buying," Demoff said.

Group sales have picked up following the home victories against Washington and Seattle. But the needle isn't moving on single-game sales. During the preseason, when both Rams home games were blacked out, the team experienced a decent walkup crowd on game day. But that hasn't been the case during the regular season, probably because the three home games so far have been on local television.

"It's nobody's responsibility to fill the dome but the Rams'," Demoff said. "And I would never chastise fans for not showing...
                        -10-13-2010, 04:11 PM
                      Working...
                      X