My 10 thoughts on the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 10 thoughts on the game

So I actually got to go see this game live, the first and only one I got to see this year. Sorry if these points have been covered and 'cussed about already, but I just got home and wanted to share with everyone what I thought.

1) I went into the game not expecting the Rams to win, however I wanted a competitive game, albeit a Rams loss.

2) Through 3 quarters it was very competitive, and if you like defensive games, this was a fun one to watch.

3) Unfortunately it wasn't a defensive game because the defenses were so dominant, it was because both offenses were so inept.

4) I appreciated the Niners dressing and starting Bruce, and making him a captain.

5) While he only played one play, this will go down as one of my favorite Isaac Bruce memories. With only a few minutes left and most of the fans gone, a picture of the Reverend was placed on the big screen and the customary "BRUUUUUUCE" cheer was started. With hardly anyone there, this was the biggest and most meaningful standing ovation I have been a part of. The big screen showed Ike on the ***** sideline, who had returned to street clothes, and he had tears in his eyes. This man was one of the greatest Rams of all time, and I am happy to have seen his "final" game, even if he was in those nasty niner uniforms.

6) Not sure what the Clan thought about Spags descision to kick a field goal on 4th and 2, but I'm guessing you agreed with most of the fans at the dome, and thought it was the wrong decision. However, after I got over my knee jerk reaction, I decided it was the right call. The field goal brought us within one, and the way our D played, I thought we could stop them and get the ball back. The way our O was playing, I didn't have any hope for them being able to score from the ten, or score a TD from anywhere else. The O had their chance on third down to convert, Jackson got stuffed. Spags trusted his defense and trusted that JB could get in range to win it, and with how the game was going, I absolutely agree.

7) From where I was sitting, Josh Brown made that end of the half field goal, I want to see a replay.

8) Hopefully our starting QB next year is not currently on our roster.

9) Our offense is bad, almost bad enough for me to want to spend our number one pick on that side of the ball.

10) But boy is Suh gonna look good in navy and gold.

11) Didn't see Chris Long's head butt, but I cheered for him as he left the game, gotta have somebody that gives a darnn out there. After all, I was a Incognito supporter...

12) Overall I thought it was a good day to go to the game. Fan appreciation day is awesome by the way, half priced concessions FTW. Unfortunately I was sitting in Section 109, row GG, seat 8 instead of Section 109, row G, seat 8. Could have won a game worn jersey if it wasn't for ONE letter

:helmet:I digress, so heres to better luck next year. Good luck Billy D, good luck Spags, GO Rams!!! :helmet:

Re: My 10 thoughts on the game

I didn't watch it in person but my biggest impression was the lack of protection for the qb.

Draft a franchise qb, sign a young free agent qb or keep Bulger... it doesn't matter if we can't assemble a better OL this off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambunctious View Post
      I didn't watch it in person but my biggest impression was the lack of protection for the qb.

Draft a franchise qb, sign a young free agent qb or keep Bulger... it doesn't matter if we can't assemble a better OL this off season.
      Exactly. The QB's were getting killed today. You saw Boller's reaction after one of the sacks. Can't really blame the QB for today's game at all. Smith (or whatever his name is) had a career day against us.

We need to build around the QB too. So maybe one new starter on the O-line and a new offensive coordinator.

Comment

I watched the game at my local sports bar and my only thought of the day was; "will this miserable season please end?"

It was an awful display of professional football. Both teams were totally anemic on offense. You're right, it wasn't a great defensive performance by either team, it was just really bad offense. It was tough sitting there watching that debacle while fans around me were laughing and making remarks about how bad the Rams are. Everytime Null was sacked (again) I'd hear the "there he goes again", or something to that affect, and when they couldn't get the punt off w/o a freakin' penalty, it was almost laughable. ....no, it WAS laughable.

I feel for the kid, Null, as the offensive line was pathetic. I know they're a make-shift line because of injuries, but my gawd that was bad. It's so sad to see a once proud franchise (pre-Georgia) turn into this nightmare. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mike Martz and the bunch of dummies in the FO destroyed this team. Years of bad drafts and trades by that group have set this team so far back. They managed to turn a SB team into a joke in a very short amount of time by letting players go, drafting one bust after another, and missing talent that was theirs for the taking, if they just had the right people making the decisions in those drafts.

It was a sad day to be a Rams fan. They're going to need a whole lot more than one #1 draft pick to get back on track. They had better nail it this off season, or next year will be another 1-2 win season.

Comment

Thanks C-Mob for the wonderful reports from the ED. I really envy you for having that great BRUUUUCE moment today. A monumental day in Rams history. Josh missed badly on that 2nd kick, he hooked it just as the ball got to the goal post. I guess it would look like he made it depending on where you were sitting. On TV though, he clearly missed.
          Glad you had a good time despite the scoreboard.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
            I watched the game at my local sports bar and my only thought of the day was; "will this miserable season please end?"

It was an awful display of professional football. Both teams were totally anemic on offense. You're right, it wasn't a great defensive performance by either team, it was just really bad offense. It was tough sitting there watching that debacle while fans around me were laughing and making remarks about how bad the Rams are. Everytime Null was sacked (again) I'd hear the "there he goes again", or something to that affect, and when they couldn't get the punt off w/o a freakin' penalty, it was almost laughable. ....no, it WAS laughable.

I feel for the kid, Null, as the offensive line was pathetic. I know they're a make-shift line because of injuries, but my gawd that was bad. It's so sad to see a once proud franchise (pre-Georgia) turn into this nightmare. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mike Martz and the bunch of dummies in the FO destroyed this team. Years of bad drafts and trades by that group have set this team so far back. They managed to turn a SB team into a joke in a very short amount of time by letting players go, drafting one bust after another, and missing talent that was theirs for the taking, if they just had the right people making the decisions in those drafts.

It was a sad day to be a Rams fan. They're going to need a whole lot more than one #1 draft pick to get back on track. They had better nail it this off season, or next year will be another 1-2 win season.
            Brother I hear what you are sayin. I've tried to see the glass as half full this year, if I didn't I would have lost what little mind I have along time ago, the way I see it is this season is over and we are 0-0 going into the 2010 season. Your last line of your post nailed reality on the head, this team is more than one piece short of completing the puzzle. My fear is that there is no way that this team can improve enough to get past the 4-5 win mark next year. I guess that if that's all they get I should be happy since it's one hell of alot better than they did this year but it sure would be nice if they could maybe compete for a division title.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mooselini View Post
              Exactly. The QB's were getting killed today. You saw Boller's reaction after one of the sacks. Can't really blame the QB for today's game at all. Smith (or whatever his name is) had a career day against us.

We need to build around the QB too. So maybe one new starter on the O-line and a new offensive coordinator.
              Keep Shurmur on the staff, but demoted to QBs coach, where he has had tons of success in the past, and bring in an OC with a proven track record.

Yes, an O-lineman would be wonderful. There is one that grades VERY high (97), but one injury in his college career has killed his draft stock, regardless of the fact that he played through it as long as he could. Trade the first pick to a team that is near the bottom of the first round order to pick this kid up. He is, according to the NFLDraftScout website, slated to go with the 32nd pick anyway, so the bottom of the round is not that big of a reach. He is Jason Fox from University of Miami. He has played in more than one spot on their O-line, and started 46 games out of a possible 47.

The line could look like this:

Smith-Barron-Brown-Goldberg-Fox

I know I've seen worse...
              sigpicThis is for Randy! GO BRM!

Comment

IMO the line has 3 maybe 4 starters when healthy. Bell isn't a world beating run blocker, but he only gave up one sack this year, so I think he is a definite keeper. Jason Brown is a pro bowl alternate most definately a keeper and IMO the best lineman in the NFC West. Jason Smith is the LT of the future showed brilliant run blocking and showed glimpses of being a great pass blocker. Goldberg even though he is better suited as depth he is a serviceable starter at RG or RT. In that San Fran Sack fest Grecco didn't give up a sack and was probably the best run blocker that day even though that isn't saying much. You also have Setterstrom possibly coming back to compete at RG. We need a young RT to develop because Goldberg isn't a longterm option there. The main issue with this unit is health, get that settled and they will be more solid IMO.

Alex Barron is a bum, run him out of town don't care if he's an RFA. I don't even want to tender him and bring him back as depth.

Comment

Of course, on the four hour trip home I must have subconsciously blocked out the biggest factor of our loss...doh!

Yes for my 13th point, the oline was atrocious. Of course we all kind of new that coming in didn't we? With J Smooth and Bell hurt, coupled with Cogs being cut, our o line depth was pretty thin.

I couldn't really focus on specific linemen, but it seemed that Null never had time to throw it farther than ten yards. I was waiting to see what Null had in person, alas I never got to see because he was running for his life before the deeper routes could develop. He threw one just out of Danny Amedola's reach, and if i recall, a nice pass to Avery. Unfortunately that was about all I could evaluate.

As for our future o line,
                  Jason Smith, Jacob Bell, Pro Bowl Alternate Jason Brown, John Greco/Setterstrom, and a player to be named/Adam Goldeberg looks pretty solid to me. As far as I am concerned Barron had his shot, now its time for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 39thebeast View Post
                    IMO the line has 3 maybe 4 starters when healthy. Bell isn't a world beating run blocker, but he only gave up one sack this year, so I think he is a definite keeper. Jason Brown is a pro bowl alternate most definately a keeper and IMO the best lineman in the NFC West. Jason Smith is the LT of the future showed brilliant run blocking and showed glimpses of being a great pass blocker. Goldberg even though he is better suited as depth he is a serviceable starter at RG or RT. In that San Fran Sack fest Grecco didn't give up a sack and was probably the best run blocker that day even though that isn't saying much. You also have Setterstrom possibly coming back to compete at RG. We need a young RT to develop because Goldberg isn't a longterm option there. The main issue with this unit is health, get that settled and they will be more solid IMO.

Alex Barron is a bum, run him out of town don't care if he's an RFA. I don't even want to tender him and bring him back as depth.

So, basically, same idea, different players? I can live with that.

The only reason I would keep Barron and move him to the inside is durability. If you keep Bell, fine, then we see, using bits and pieces of what we are wanting (Oh, wow, compromise...LOL):

Smith-Bell-Brown-Barron-Fox

Comment

Originally posted by MOM View Post
                      So, basically, same idea, different players? I can live with that.

The only reason I would keep Barron and move him to the inside is durability. If you keep Bell, fine, then we see, using bits and pieces of what we are wanting (Oh, wow, compromise...LOL):

Smith-Bell-Brown-Barron-Fox
                      I'm a little confused on how we are getting Fox.He is probably a second rounder. I would spend picks on QB, WR, DE, DT, and TE before I spent one on a RT.

Comment

Originally posted by dgr828 View Post
                        Thanks C-Mob for the wonderful reports from the ED. I really envy you for having that great BRUUUUCE moment today. A monumental day in Rams history. Josh missed badly on that 2nd kick, he hooked it just as the ball got to the goal post. I guess it would look like he made it depending on where you were sitting. On TV though, he clearly missed.
                        Glad you had a good time despite the scoreboard.
                        Thanks for this reply, while no one on this forum sees eye to eye with each other all the time, we all want the same thing- a good Rams team we can feel proud about. People may have different ideas of how to get there and different ideas of how it is currently going, but through it all we as fans can only do our best to suck it up and support our team. We have seen good times as a franchise, and we have seen bad times. It is important that we all stay the course, for our time will come.

...anywho, I suppose the kick was a combination of the angle of the view (it was on the opposite side of the dome and I was sitting on the side) and just assuming that it was a make able boot for the highest paid kicker in the league. :disapointed:
                        Last edited by C-Mob 71; -01-04-2010, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 39thebeast View Post
                          I'm a little confused on how we are getting Fox.He is probably a second rounder. I would spend picks on QB, WR, DE, DT, and TE before I spent one on a RT.
                          Right now, he is slated to go around pick #32. If he rehabs well, and has a good showing at the Combine/Pro Days, his stock should rise, putting him right back in the thick of things.

At this point, it looks like it would be next to useless to draft any other offensive position in the first round, because a QB, WR, and TE would probably have about the same level of success as the players we already have, due to a lack of protection/support. Couple that with the undeniable proof today that the Rams D far and away performed better than the O, and you have......

.....my suggested pick. If you need more info/clarification, just PM me, and I would be happy to help.

In the meantime, nite-nite...6 AM comes awfully early...

Comment

AMEN! I would love the Rams restored to pre-Ma-Damn Ram glory! I think it will only happen when Chip Rosenbloom realizes he's inept and has not the slightest interest (nor ability) in running this club - evidenced by his absentee-owner style, and puts everyone out of his misery and sells the club! They would really benefit from strong ownership who can provide direction. It's always from the top down, and the top doesn't start at the Head Coach.

Comment

I watched the game in my living room and was happy to see the end of the season. I am tired of watching this type of football. It is a sad day to be a Rams fan. We won the first draft pick and stole it away from the lowly lions. We are the worst team in the league.

It must stink to have to watch this is a bar with other fans around.
                              sigpic

Comment