BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Jan. 06 2010
    As a senior at Nebraska, Adam Carriker was busy anchoring the Cornhuskers'
    defense, completing a degree in business administration and planning his
    wedding.

Still, Carriker, the Rams' first-round draft pick in 2007, wasn't so
    preoccupied that he didn't take notice of Ndamukong Suh, then a redshirt
    freshman and a fellow defensive lineman.

"I knew he'd be good. I had no idea he'd be this good," said Carriker, who
    missed the entire 2009 season after suffering a shoulder injury in the
    preseason. "He had a lot of potential. He obviously lived up to it."

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Suh, a unanimous All-America selection, Heisman Trophy
    finalist and Associated Press national player of the year, is expected to land
    at or near the top of most NFL teams' draft boards.

The Rams hold the No. 1 overall selection after finishing a league-worst 1-15.
    General manager Billy Devaney said any speculation about the Rams snapping up
    Suh with that pick is premature.

"Right now, there is no ranking" of possible draftees, Devaney said. "You try
    to get guys lined up according to position first, and then you'll start ranking
    them regardless of position. That process will start right now."

The Rams' front office has plenty of work to do before it delves deeply into
    draft prospects, Devaney pointed out.

"The first thing we have to do is evaluate our team," he said. "We'll get with
    the coaches at the end of the week, the pro personnel people, go over every
    player on our roster, and kind of give us a road map on where we need to go in
    the offseason."

Free agency begins March 5, and the Rams figure to be eager shoppers. What
    players will be available is uncertain, though. If a new labor agreement isn't
    struck, the requirement for a player to become an unrestricted free agent would
    go to six years from four, and far fewer would be on the market.

"You have to plan for both, and we've done that," Devaney said.

SURGERY FOR ALLEN

Guard Roger Allen will have surgery in about a month to repair a torn ligament
    in his left knee. Allen was injured in the second quarter of Sunday's 28-6
    season-ending loss to San Francisco. An undrafted rookie from NCAA Division II
    Missouri Western State, Allen was making his first regular-season start.

LAURINAITIS SNUBBED

Linebacker James Laurinaitis, whose 146 tackles made him just the second player
    in Rams history to lead the team as a rookie, was shut out in the voting for
    the NFL's defensive rookie of the year.

Houston linebacker Brian Cushing won the award, receiving 39 votes from a panel
    of 50 writers and broadcasters. Former Clayton High standout Jairus Byrd, a
    safety with Buffalo, finished second with six votes. He was followed by Green
    Bay linebacker Clay Matthews (three) and Washington linebacker Brian Orakpo
    (two).

Re: Rams noncommittal on draft

They are saying all the normal things this early in the process. I want these guys to take the full measure of each top player, do tons of research and homework...and then pick Suh!
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Comment

There is no reason we should or will be "committed" publicly to anything at any point in the process. Its none of anyone else's business what we intend to do, and that includes fans, in addition to media and other teams. The only thing we are committed to publicly is improving our team. Why should we tell anyone else what is proprietary information. Bottom line is that as always, we will go through 8 million rumours, speculation and disinformation campaigns before we pick suh (or potentially trade the pick to someone that meets our price).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Heck, I can evaluate the team.

Don't need: RB, P, K, MLB, C.

Maybe don't need: SS, 1 DE.

Need: Everything else, even a better beer salesman in Sec 442

Comment

Originally posted by txramsfan View Post
          Heck, I can evaluate the team.

Don't need: RB, P, K, MLB, C.

Maybe don't need: SS, 1 DE.

Need: Everything else, even a better beer salesman in Sec 442
          We sure do need a second RB,MLB,and C,imo. If Alpharam follows through, Botch Brown is gonna get beat up pretty good any day now so kicker might be a need as well.

What's wrong with the beer guy in Section 442? I hear he has a pretty good arm. Maybe you need to learn to catch better, TX....

Comment

Well i dont care what Daveny says you take the best player in the draft and Suh is the best player in the 2010 draft hands down!!!!

Comment

What do you guys expect him to say? He's got to be professional about this whole entire thing. This is the only thing he should be saying right now.

But I'm pretty sure they are all licking their chops at the idea of Suh in Blue and Gold.

Comment

I don't watch college football, but is suh really that dominate? I keep hearing about him but never seen him play.. How is he compared to Haynesworth?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                  I don't watch college football, but is suh really that dominate? I keep hearing about him but never seen him play.. How is he compared to Haynesworth?
                  the best thing to do is look on youtube. Quite frankly one on one the guy seems to be unblockable
                  @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
                    Quite frankly one on one the guy seems to be unblockable
                    The one caveat is that the offensive linesmen he'll be facing in the NFL are both bigger and more skilled than those he's been tormenting in college. Suh himself will acquire more experience, of course, but there's no guarantee that he'll be as dominant in the pro game as he has been thus far.

Of course, the same thing can be said about any player entering the draft. Suh looks as sure a success as you're likely to see but that doesn't mean that he will be one.

Comment

Originally posted by DistantRam View Post
                      The one caveat is that the offensive linesmen he'll be facing in the NFL are both bigger and more skilled than those he's been tormenting in college. Suh himself will acquire more experience, of course, but there's no guarantee that he'll be as dominant in the pro game as he has been thus far.

Of course, the same thing can be said about any player entering the draft. Suh looks as sure a success as you're likely to see but that doesn't mean that he will be one.
                      Oh of course the level of play in college is less than that in the NFL. He may not be as dominant in the pro game as in college, but even if he is less dominant, he is so dominant in college that he would still be domininant by NFL standards!
                      @EssexRam_

Comment

It's always ridiculous when the media asks a question when they know they're not going to get the answer they're looking for. "Who are you going to draft?" is a prime example. Devaney isn't going to tip his hand and I'm sure no one has made any set decisions this early in the process. If we've learned one thing over the years, it's that today's hot candidate might not be quite as hot come April.

The Rams have many needs. We have no choice but to put our faith in the hands of Devaney, Spags and those responsible for making the decisions that are best for this franchise. I don't care who we pick, but we must get it right. Trading down is also a very distinct possibility if the right opportunity presents itself.

And not taking a QB in one of the 1st couple of rounds would be a grave error. I'm not interested in the Jason Campbells and the Chad Penningtons of the world. If they were that good, they would have starting jobs elsewhere. Get a guy in here who is your franchise QB for the next 10 years and get it right.

Comment

Working...
                        X