No announcement yet.

I wonder... is there an Anti-Bandwagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder... is there an Anti-Bandwagon?

It comes as no surprise that a team having success will draw its share of "Bandwagon" fans, who can be defined as fans who jump on board during a successful run but disappear when things get tough.

As an aside, I don't have a major problem with bandwagon fans, provided that they are at least honest about it. For example, I'll readily admit that, as a graduate of the University of Miami's Law School (as opposed to undergraduate college), I am somewhat of a bandwagon fan of he Hurricanes. I tend to get interested in them when they do well, but I don't spend much time worrying about the team when they are having a down year.

I wonder, though... have the Rams developed an Anti-Bandwagon? What I mean by that is, do you think there are fans who are more active and vocal when the team is down (voicing their complaints, critiques and frustrations) who would, paradoxically, become LESS active if the Rams started winning?

If you do think that this phenomenon exists, what do you see as the motivation of the Anti-Bandwagon fans? Is it merely the Cub-Fan-esque notion of supporting the "loveable losers," or is it something else?

Discuss.

Re: I wonder... is there an Anti-Bandwagon?

It's going to be a long offseason isn't it?

I don't know man, that's weird. I think maybe since we've exhausted all our energy into being a bad team, once we're a good team again we'll become apathetic to the whole situation. Personally, I don't care what happens, I'll always be a Rams fan but I can certainly see myself posting less because things are going smoothly--less to worry about, and no more ridiculous posts (hopefully). And honestly, who wouldn't take that scenario over constantly wondering how we'll become good again?
    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

If there were, clanram would be one of the busiest sites on the internet.

Comment

Avenger, I do think there are some people like this because some people are naturally pessimistic. In the same way that some people on all kinds of message boards get their kicks by purposefully annoying others or trying to cause trouble. Some individuals love to complain, and tend to not have as much to complain about when the going is good. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Well if the Rams start doing good i feel like fans would get bored talking about the positive things after awhile.

There is just alot more stuff on the agenda when it comes to terrible teams.

Think about it. If we were like the Colts, who won the most games this decade, there would never be arguments about the QB position or any other arguments stemming from a terrible game.

Arguments are much more popular than just conversations most of the time.

Comment

First of all I'd like to point out that if anyone but AV (a mod) created this post, noone would comment on it...must be nice being in power(lol).

Now on a serious note, every team has these types of "fans" (if you can call them that). Living here in Charlotte, N.C., I am accustomed to seeing my fair share of Panthers material, but now out of the blue last year the city is decked out in Steelers gear, and now its the Saints, the Alabama Crimson Tide, etc. I mean you see their stuff up all over the place, now these same "fans" were nowhere to be found a year ago but oh what a difference a year makes.

But we've seen this not only in football but in other sports as with the chicago bulls during the Jordan years, now where are those same bulls fans(did they all relocate to Chi-town?? Same can be said for the seemingly millions of Boston Red Sox & Patirots fans that came out of hiding during their recent success. And sadly we've seen the same when our very own St. Louis Rams won the superbowl in 99 and became the "Greatest Show on Earth"...R.I.P

So yes this phenomenon does exist, however it is not a new entity, but a common trend in sports. That being said I feel that tough times causes the "fake fans" to show themselves which in turn explains the "anti-bandwagon" behavior. If you as me if you are a fan then you are a fan during the good and bad times. I work at the psych hospital, and I even get picked on by the psych patients about the Rams yet I still stick with the team and a 1-15 record is not going to change that.

Simply put REAL FANS STICK WITH A TEAM NO MATTER WHAT! Now being the straight shooter that I am I must say that for all those who have felt led to post a "I'm not a Rams fan anymore because of the loosing" post then more than likely you fall into this "anti-bandwagon" category. And to you ma'am/sir, I wish you the best & hopefully you can find a team that you are pleased with.

Comment

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post
              ...Yes, this phenomenon does exist, however it is not a new entity, but a common trend in sports. That being said I feel that tough times causes the "fake fans" to show themselves which in turn explains the "anti-bandwagon" behavior. If you as me if you are a fan then you are a fan during the good and bad times. I work at the psych hospital, and I even get picked on by the psych patients about the Rams yet I still stick with the team and a 1-15 record is not going to change that.

Simply put REAL FANS STICK WITH A TEAM NO MATTER WHAT! Now being the straight shooter that I am I must say that for all those who have felt led to post a "I'm not a Rams fan anymore because of the loosing" post then more than likely you fall into this "anti-bandwagon" category. And to you ma'am/sir, I wish you the best & hopefully you can find a team that you are pleased with.
              Agreed MOG. "A n t i-" becomes part of the wardrobe of the weeker fan, IMO. It is normal for one to feel sad, frustrated, disappointed after going through what we just did this year -- especially after last year!

But that's okay. Those fans have always been around, even to the point we have a thread here to talk about them.

These fans are what general fanhood is all about. Again, I think they are the weeker, ill-inclined type of individuals that usually walk somewhat aimlessly with a cloud right above their head or a wet blanket around their shoulders. It's much easier for them to wear a brown paper bag on their head with sad motifs about their team scribbled on it ... their tears of rage, their tears of woe. We would surely think twice about using such a demeaning public display (and we try not to be too rash or reckless in our Internet forums castigating the elements in our Rams team [less we find a cancer within the organization we feel medically apt to vanish]).

Thanks to these people we feel stronger, more loyal. Our Rams identity is keener and our fan idiosyncrasy is ever willing to "criticize, but constructively". In other words, we are the select, stronger species of fans.

"FANS... As long as we have each other, we'll never run out of problems."

Ah, the diversity Vs. equality of it all. It's fun to be a fan. GO RAMS IN 2010!
              Last edited by RealRam; -01-06-2010, 06:53 PM. Reason: Tyop, quote.

Comment

Yes there is and they are people who are not happy unless they have something to complain about. Like how the Bulger threads have quieted down and now they are banging on getting rid of O.J., Jackson, on how Long is underachieving etc. These are the same people who seem to say we wont win a game almost as if hoping it would happen. Then when it almost happens brags about how they were right. People that constantly talk about how bad we are and we are no way just a few peices from being successful. The same ones who are already wanting to replace Spags. From the looks of things in New York I'm sure they would welcome Spags back with open arms. Anyway I do believe these people exist and are happier when the Rams are just as miserable as they are.
                Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

Yet another divisive thread by TV.

We all know that "your the bestest Rams fan ever" (sic), so please try to get a life.

Comment

i get wat your saying and yes!

Its just the case of True fans (anti-bandwagon) discussing and debating how to make the team good instead of seeing how badly the Rams struggled the last 3 years and moving on to another team i wouldn't call it anti bandwagon i would jus call it true die hard fans.

Comment

As an aside, I don't have a major problem with bandwagon fans, provided that they are at least honest about it. For example, I'll readily admit that, as a graduate of the University of Miami's Law School (as opposed to undergraduate college), I am somewhat of a bandwagon fan of he Hurricanes. I tend to get interested in them when they do well, but I don't spend much time worrying about the team when they are having a down year.
                      I know exactly what you mean. Since I received my PhD in Physics from M.I.T., I've done my best to follow the escapades of the M.I.T. Parliamentary Debate Team when they travel to tournaments. My favorites have been the Worlds University Debating Championship, the North American Championships, and the Oxford and Cambridge Intervarsities. In 2008, Worlds was held in Cork, Ireland, and NorthAms in Amherst, MA. A ripping good time was had by all in attendance.
                      Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Yodude View Post
                        I know exactly what you mean. Since I received my PhD in Physics from M.I.T., I've done my best to follow the escapades of the M.I.T. Parliamentary Debate Team when they travel to tournaments. My favorites have been the Worlds University Debating Championship, the North American Championships, and the Oxford and Cambridge Intervarsities. In 2008, Worlds was held in Cork, Ireland, and NorthAms in Amherst, MA. A ripping good time was had by all in attendance.
                        Actually, I'm a total diehard fan of the Tufts Jumbos (my undergraduate school) football team. I think their battle with Williams College this year was one of the classic gridiron contests of all time.

(By the way, my father went to M.I.T., so I'm sure you know what animal appears on his class ring)

Comment

Originally posted by DistantRam View Post
                          Yet another divisive thread by TV.

We all know that "your the bestest Rams fan ever" (sic), so please try to get a life.
                          Interesting. I ask a question and you find it divisive.

I think that says a lot more about you than it does about me.

Comment

The 'anti' fans are just hoping Devaney or Spagnulo will be surfing the blogosphere and see some of their wonderful incite and recruit them for a key role on staff.
                            I'm still waiting for my call.

Comment

You can call it Anti-Bandwagon but I prefer the term "Shared Missery". I believe that most people who are not happy with their lives prefer to bring the rest of the world down with them, and so is the case with a portion of Rams nation. Really it comes down too the old half empty half full thing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AvengerRam_old
                                Too Many Rams Fans Don't Know "Special" When They See It (Pre-Hiatus Thoughts)
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                I guess I thought you'd be here forever. Another illusion I chose to create. Don't know what you've got until its gone. And I found out a little too late. - Chicago

The logical side of my mind has struggled with this question for a while: how can people who identify themselves as Ram fans continually nitpick at aspects of the team that, though not perfect, hardly warrant such harsh criticism?

The way some fans talk about a coach with a very high winning percentage as if he's a clown with no business coaching... the way they can't wait to get rid of a QB with a 90+ lifetime QB rating... the way they look at a second year RB who is producing despite playing behind a patchwork line and talk about him like he's the problem...

It just makes no sense, unless...

I finally figured it out.

The problem is 1999. The greatest year in Rams history has had a nasty side effect. Certain fans just don't get how special that year was and, as a result, are unable to accept that a year like that may come only once in a lifetime.

How often does a team pick up key veterans and rookies, take the league by storm with a dynamic new offense, enjoy career years from several defensive players, make it through the season nearly injury free, find an MVP on the bench to replace the one key player who suffers a major injury, and have all the pieces fall into place for a playoff run ending in a Championship?

Why not ask fans of the Seahawks, Cardinals, Oilers/Titans, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Lions, Saints, Jets, and many others how long they've been waiting for a year like that.

Some fans have become so myopic as a result of that "dream season," that they see everything in black and white. If its not GSOT, it "sucks."

Well, my friends, that's not how the real world works. As a fan, you have to do more than describe everything as "good" or "bad." There's also "adequate," "improving," "promising," "declining," "limited," "situational," "underachieving," "overachieving," and "undetermined," to name a few.

To always seek perfection is to lose sight of just how special 1999 was. A year like that doesn't come around very often, so savor it, crave it, and seek it... but don't expect it.

Anyway, I obviously need to step away from this forum for a little while. I don't know how long I'll be gone. Maybe a day or two, maybe longer. Maybe I'll lurk about, maybe not.

I'll see you when I see you.
                                -12-13-2005, 02:15 PM
                              • Barry Waller
                                Rams FAns Need To Get a Grip
                                by Barry Waller
                                Fans Need To Get a Grip
                                by Barry Waller

It seems like fans choose THEIR guy in this coaching search, like they actually know more than the GM and owner who talk to everybody these guys ever worked for or coached they can find, which is a bunch, then ***** if it isn't the guy in the end.

Fans ignore whether that guy even showed interest himself in really being the guy chosen, or had an eye on another job far more intently.

They ignore the history of coaching hires all over and focus on what happened here. Garrett looks too much like Linehan, Fassell too much like Haslett etc etc.

They even look the other way about their general philosophy of the guy that is the best choice. They want a defensive coach, because Martz and Linehan were offensive guys, ignoring the fact that as many defensive coaches, like Marvin Frazier, Ray Rhodes, Romeo Crennel, Buddy Ryan, Bob Hollway, etc, were horrific head coaches.

Fans look at a Lovie Smith or Mike Tomlin and see every African-American defensive coordinator available in the same light.

Fans look at coordinators that have had success as assistants this year as saviors, and others who were just as hot a year or two ago, but who's light has dimmed because of one lesser year, ignoring the talent each had available.

Fans see conspiracy everywhere, that it's a buddy buddy deal with Devaney or willingness to work cheaper that hjas the final say.

They will be negative right from the start if their guy isn't THE guy. They would just say "Just like continuing with Linehan or Haslett" becfore he works a day.

Does that seem fair, based on what fans REALLY know about any of these guys, their work habits, off field stuff etc?

Guys like Bernie Miklasz and Jim Thomas have some access to all the info, but certainly not as much as those about to invest their FUTURE, and millions of bucks on their guy.

Even those guys, being sane and honest, would agree, just as they would agree that fans know about a tenth as much as they do, particularly because many off the record stuff is held back by these media insiders.

Just like with the draft, there seems to be a growing number of fans who truly think they have football minds better than those who make their living running, and coaching, NFL clubs.

They need to realize that while they may actually end up right on a subject or hiring, the odds that they really are a better bet to follow than the professionals, is really really slim.

Of course, unless a team is 100% right all the time, there will be times that a fan can get it better, and those fans will crow when they do beat the GM in a finale outcome.

I have no problem with fans going after those who clearly are out of their league in the front office, or on the field or sideline. That's...
                                -01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Every now and again, I have to make a post like this one...
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Some people really hate posts of this type, but I think its necessary.

You see, there is a certain type of "fan." The type that is more interested in "being right" than they are in seeing the team succeed.

If you hang around here, or any message board, you'll observe this type of "fan." They're the ones who never seem to be happy or optimistic. They criticize every move. They express low expectations at all times. They chide anyone who dares to express hope.

If called out individually, these "fans" will do one of two things (or both). They will (1) claim to be the true "realists," and/or (2) whine that they are being censored.

Its not censorship. Its merely the reaction that you should expect to receive when you are a total bore. That's what "fans" like this are: bores.

In my book, the only reason to even bother spending time being a fan is to extend hope that this year will be "the year." That's what made 1999 so special to me. I had spent over 20 years believing each season that this was "the year." Sure, there were times that, deep down, I knew I was kidding myself. But then, one year, it all paid off.

As fans, we don't draft or sign the players, devise the gameplans, call the plays, or battle it out on the field. All we can do is try, in our own little way, to be part of that "12th man" that, hopefully, inspires the team to play just that much harder. That's all we can do.

How you do that when you never see anything but doom and gloom is beyond me. If I ever feel that way, I'll find a new hobby.

So, have at it with the "are you talking about me" and "how dare you interfere with my Free Speech" responses.

I've said my peace.
                                -03-06-2009, 08:57 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                Message Board Fans Are A Different Breed
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                I think I finally have come to terms with an inescapable truth: Message Board fans are a different breed from the average fans.

Its not entirely a bad thing. MBFs are generally loyal, and always passionate when it comes to their team. But, unlike general fans, MBFs have another characteristic - they crave controversy.

Jason's recent Bulger thread is a perfect example. A room full of general fans would have no trouble discussing Marc Bulger's progress as a QB and solid play this year. MBFs, on the other hand, have little desire to discuss such a positive topic.

MBFs would rather...

* Beat the Kurt Warner topic to death
                                * Ridicule Mike Martz and call for his dismissal
                                * Rip players who get injured or fight for more money
                                * Bash the front office for draft choices that don't pan out

Heck, we have MBFs here who routinely pick the Rams to lose each game, rip the most productive players on the team for not being perfect, hang out in the chat room on game day so they can criticize the players they don't like in "real time," and place signature quotes on each post that reflect negative feelings toward the team or specific individuals.

So where does that leave someone like me, the proverbial optimist?

In a sense, I guess I fit in because I thrive on slapping down those who wear their Ram colors while simultaneously tearing down the team. In a sense, the board needs people like me to combat the naysayers - otherwise their proclamations would yield as few responses as posts about undeniable positive aspects of the team now yield.

The question is.... do I... should I (and others like myself) wish to take this role?

I have to say, at times it grows tiresome. Sometimes, I wish I could just preach to a choir, rather than feeling like I'm constantly having to defend my optimistic outlook. I suspect that there are a few posters who, in the past, have been active, but now rarely post because they have experienced the same fatigue.

The only solution I see to this is to implore the MBFs to try to achieve some balance. Its fine to criticize problems, but try to praise that which is deserving. Its fine to cheer and hold out hope, but don't stray too far from realism that you can't express concerns as well.

Just my thoughts.
                                -11-18-2004, 12:42 PM
                              • AvengerRam_old
                                How many losses does it take to weed out the posers?
                                by AvengerRam_old
                                Wouldn't it be great if, as a silver lining to this era of ineptitude, the Rams' fan base could be reduced to those who truly have an affinity for the team? It can't be denied that there is a substantial portion of the fan base that consists of those who jumped on the bandwagon during the GSOT years, and now finds itself unable to handle the ups and downs that most teams face in the long run.

Fans of this type are, in a word, annoying. They blather on with their over-the-top criticisms, insults and preposterous suggestions. They seek out company for their misery. They put down those who adopt a long-term, hopeful, outlook.

Unfortunately, the filter effect is only temporary. The posers may finally have enough and fade into the background. But, mark my words, most of them will return when the team starts winning again (and, make no mistake, some day they will).

I guess we should be tolerant of these types of fans. It can't be denied that they do add to the crowds during good times, and help comprise the "12th man" in sold out home games.

But for those who have been here, and will be here, through thick and thin, let me say this...

It is you who will have "earned" the right to take pride in the team's future successes. There is merit to loyalty.

Its something the posers will never understand.
                                -11-30-2009, 09:55 AM
                              Working...
                              X