St. Louis is a football town!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis is a football town!!!!!!!!

Without a doubt, the Cardinals are second fiddle to us. We get the headlines, good or bad and despite our poor play, this will always be a football town. Cards second fiddle. Go Rams!!!!!

Re: St. Louis is a football town!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Clan (I think).

That has to be one of the oddest opening posts for a new member. First, though I'm not from St. Louis, my visits there have allowed me to observe that the Cards are unquestionably the most popular team in town.

Also, since your profile states you're from Canada, it seems strange that you'd come here to announce what kind of town St. Louis is.
    Last edited by AvengerRam_old; -01-07-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
      Welcome to the Clan (I think).

That has to be one of the oddest opening posts for a new member. First, though I'm not from St. Louis, my visits there have allowed me to observe that the Cards are unquestionably the most popular team town.

Also, since your profile states you're from Canada, it seems strange that you'd come here to announce what kind of town St. Louis is.
      You are correct in your observation, if the Cards are having a losing season they are still capable of drawing 3 mil fans for the year, obviously there is not the same support for the Rams or the Blues for that matter. The difference is though the Cards do compete most every year for a division title, as the Rams start to put a more competitive product on the field the fans will support them even if they don't always win. Fans just need some hope here that the team is trying.
      sigpic

Comment

Not only that, the Rams are AMERICA's TEAM! Put a winning product on the field and the fans will come. If not they'll show their displeasure by not attending games causing massive Blackouts. SAINT LOUIS, MISSOURI...FOOTBALLTOWN, USA
        sigpic

Comment

Ive never even been to St Louis, but i know its a full on baseball town
          @EssexRam_

Comment

WOW! Is this an attempt at stirring up the pot or what?

I've witnessed the "RED SEA" (Cardinals fans) on a RAMS Sunday and they weren't walking towards the DOME.

GO RAMS!!!
            sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
              WOW! Is this an attempt at stirring up the pot or what?

I've witnessed the "RED SEA" (Cardinals fans) on a RAMS Sunday and they weren't walking towards the DOME.

GO RAMS!!!
              O yes the RED SEA so very true, definitely a baseball town, no wait a baseball mecca

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not. Ask a random person on the street what they think of Laurinaitis and they'll want a vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rammer View Post
                  Unfortunately, it's not. Ask a random person on the street what they think of Laurinaitis and they'll want a vaccine.
                  That's not an STD is it?
                  sigpic

Comment

I had it in college and I thought I was over it, but it crawled right back ;)

Comment

No doubt about it. It's all about winning. Most cities strive off of this philosophy. Win, and the fans will come.

The Dome was selling out when we were contenders. These fans didn't just fall off the face of the planet, they want to see a winner. The economy is tight, spend your money elsewhere, where you will be satisfied. Going to the Dome to watch your team get decimated weak after weak isn't something TYPICAL fans do.

Look at the Cardinals. I have experienced it first hand. The Arizona Cardinals couldn't give tickets away. No one wanted to watch them because they were the Big Dead. Now they're back in the playoffs. Seats are being filled.

Thats the formula, you win, they will come.

Comment

Its actually much bigger on baseball my friend lol. I wish it was a football town, but untill we get better, it won't be!

Comment

I asked some guys in a St Louis shop if they had an Atogwe jersey and they did not know who he was. I think St Louis really is a baseball town.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
                            Its actually much bigger on baseball my friend lol. I wish it was a football town, but untill we get better, it won't be!
                            Even when we get better it will be a baseball town 1st.

Comment

Football town? Hardly.

The company I work for has it's corporate offices in St. Louis. Whenever a group of corporate guys come out to visit I try to talk Rams football with them. Guess what? Not one of them in the 10 years I've work for this company and interfaced with the guys from St. Louis has shown any real interest in the Rams. They can talk about the Cardinals and occasionally the Blues all day long, but the Rams? They haven't a clue and don't seem to care.

...just an observation from here.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                St. Louis Rams fans better not take team for granted
                                by RamWraith
                                By Michael Reilly
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

Did St. Louis learn any lessons from losing the football Cardinals? It's hard not to wonder after seeing so many empty seats at the Rams' final two home games.

When the Cardinals left after the 1987 season, St. Louis was rather proud of itself. Frank Deford praised our town in Sports Illustrated for sending such a loser packing. "Good riddance" was the attitude, and no wonder. As any football fan here can tell you, the Big Red never hosted a playoff game.

But after a couple of years, reality set in. We had no NFL team. We missed it. And we paid exorbitantly to get the Rams after losing out to Carolina and Jacksonville in the expansion sweepstakes.

Now only the Detroit Lions are keeping the Rams from being the worst team in the NFL, and some fans are telling Chip Rosenbloom to take his team elsewhere.

There's plenty wrong with this picture, and with the idea that the Rams are the Big Red all over again. For starters, look at the obvious: The Rams won a Super Bowl. In 14 seasons here, the Rams have been to the playoffs five times and brought five playoff games to St. Louis.

The rap on the Cardinals was that Bill Bidwill was too cheap to win. Say what you will about the Rams, but cheap they aren't. If they've squandered millions of dollars on players who didn't produce, at least they've tried. They sign their draft picks in a timely manner, they have few holdouts, and they try to fill their needs through free agency, if seldom wisely in recent years.

It's one thing to withhold support from a team that doesn't care if it wins. It's another to turn your back on a team that has given this city more thrills than the Big Red ever did.

Yes, the Rams are terrible. The front office has been incompetent. But it's still NFL football, and if you're a fan of the game, there's plenty of entertainment to be had. If St. Louis doesn't want the Rams, some other city would love to have them.

Sure, the NFL probably is alone in expecting fans to show up no matter how bad a team is. It has the most popular product in U.S. sports, and that's the price of having a team. There's an arrogance about it and if you don't like it, fine, but that's the reality.

Isaac Bruce had it right last Sunday when he expressed his disappointment at the empty seats in St. Louis and pointed out that the Kansas City Chiefs are awful, too, but their fans still turn out. In a smaller market and bigger stadium the Chiefs are averaging 14,000 fans more than the Rams despite having an identical record.

The same goes for Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New York, Washington and lots of other places. They have had lousy teams at times, but their games aren't blacked out on local television.

The Rams haven't been here very long, really, not the generations it took...
                                -12-29-2008, 05:28 AM
                              • MATEOBURRITO
                                To all St. Louis Cardinal fans...
                                by MATEOBURRITO
                                I'm also a regular at a Cardinal forum called "Cardinal Heaven."

www.cardinalheaven.com

This season, a lot of people got sick of the Post Dispatch's Cardinal baseball forum (Cards Talk) and many of us migrated over to Cardinal Heaven.

It's really a great place to discuss Cardinal baseball because it's both a friendly atmosphere (no attacks, your opinions are respected) and a fun atmosphere (we joke around a lot, we're big into YouTube).

Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment to invite anyone who's interested to come and join us in discussing Cardinal baseball as they compete in the 2006 MLB playoffs this October.

The more fans, the merrier. Hopefully some of you find your way over. Because after all...Rams games are only once a week.

GO CARDINALS!!!
                                -10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
                              • skelley
                                "Do the bosses want to destroy the remainder of a deteriorating fan base?"
                                by skelley
                                That quote says alot about ST Louis fans. LA fans took years of Georgia's stupidity before there was a drop off. ST Louis fans were treated to a much , much better product. And after only 6 years off being an elite team ST Louis fans are jumping off the bandwagon.

Does this team suck? YES

Is Linny one of the worst head coaches ever? Yes

Does the front office seem clueless? Yes

Do ST Louis fans have a clue how good they have it? No

And that's sad, 'cuz after losing the Cards they should.

I took so much crap in Northern California through the 80's & 90's from a bunch of bandwagon Niner fans, but I stood by my team no matter what. I went to LA & SF to watch my team get smoked.

And it was a sad day when that ***** took my team from Cali. But the move allowed the Rams to make money & actualy TRY to put together a team. ST Louis fans supported the lousy Rams because they were excited to have the NFL back in town. They grew in numbers when Warner & Faulk led the Rams to the title.

And now less than a decade later ST Louis fans have shown me 2 things.

1. They are no better than Niner fans. Bandwagon fans suck!

2. Why the Cards left in the first place.

All you fans in ST Louis better remember & realise 2 things.....

1. LA lost the Rams & that city has a lot more going for it.

2. How did it feel when the Cards left town?

Wise up ST Louis fans.............
                                For better or worse, you'd better support your team. The ONLY person in power who gave a damn about being in ST Louis is dead & there are many Cities who would pay for the honor of having a NFL team.
                                -09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Lowly St. Louis Rams Soar In TV Ratings
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Lowly St. Louis Rams soar in TV ratings
                                11/06/2009

RAMS ROAR IN RATINGS

Bad pro football is better than good baseball or any other sport, for that matter to St. Louis television viewers this year.

Nielsen Media Research reports that the Rams' first victory of the season, on Sunday against the one-win Lions, drew a higher rating than any World Series game, all Cardinals regular-season contests and is about eight times greater than an average Blues telecast.

Nielsen says 17.8 percent of homes in the market with a TV tuned in to KTVI (Channel 2) for the tangle of the tinkerbells, making it the highest-rated Rams game of the season.

The top Cards game before the playoffs in a season in which they glided to the a division title was 16.3.

Dan Caesar
                                -11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
                              • HUbison
                                St. Louis fans: What if?
                                by HUbison
                                I had an embarassing epiphany this past weekend........no St. Louis or LA based Rams fan has any room to complain about the team's geography. Not since my semester in London have I been in a room with so many British accents than at the Bash. These people cross a freakin' ocean to see the Rams! A freakin' ocean!

So with this newly acquired perspective, I would like to open for discussion some possible scenarios for our friends in the St. Louis area, and those who identify themselves as "St. Louis" fans.

Please share your thoughts, both good and bad, on these potential outcomes. Here's the scenarios:

Scenario 1. The wealthy LA businessman, Slick McCheesy makes an offer to Chip that he can't pass up. Slick's first announcement is the team will be moving back to LA at season end, and Slick flips off St. Louis on his way out the door. Slick's second announcement is that Scott Pioli is the team's new GM, and Bill Cowher is the new head coach.

Scenario 2. Same as scenario 1, but after Slick's announcement, the NFL announces an existing team will move to St. Louis to replace the Rams.

Scenario 3. Same as scenario 2, but the new St. Louis team will be an expansion team, not an existing team.

Scenario 4. Slick, Chip, and the league work out a deal. Chip sells the logo, colors, and name to Slick who moves the logo, colors, and name to LA. The team stays in St. Louis and becomes the St. Louis "pick your favorite name".

Scenario 5. Wealthy St. Louis businessman, Archy McBeermaker buys the team from Chip and swears on his mother's eyes that the team will forever be in St. Louis. However, Archy is a big fan of Jay Zygmunt and makes him Team President with unchecked power.

There you go, StL......thoughts?
                                -09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
                              Working...
                              X