• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis Rams' Adam Carriker Hopes For Another Chance

St. Louis Rams' Adam Carriker hopes for another chance

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/08/2010

Three seasons into his NFL career, defensive tackle Adam Carriker must prove himself all over again — and he knows it.

"I've definitely got to show myself and play well," Carriker said. "And I'm just looking forward to doing that."

Carriker never made it to opening day in 2009, suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in the Rams' preseason finale against Kansas City. Carriker underwent shoulder surgery Sept. 9.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo's staff may have a sense of what Carriker can do. But they've seen very little of him in person — on the practice field or on game day. Prior to the shoulder injury, he missed three weeks of training camp and three preseason games with an ankle injury.

At this point, while the coaching staff and front office sifts through their roster options for 2010, Carriker can't be sure how or even if he fits into the team's plans. But he'd like the opportunity to revive his career for the team that drafted him 13th overall in 2007.

"I would love to play here," Carriker said. "I would love to stay here. I've got a home here. The Rams are my home. St. Louis is my home."

Nearly four months removed from surgery, Carriker is far along in his rehab program. "After four months, you're pretty much free to lift (weights) with a few restrictions," he said. "But pretty much I'm working on getting my full strength back."

Carriker hopes to be full-strength once the Rams begin their offseason conditioning program March 15. "Everything's on schedule, right on par if not a little bit ahead," Carriker said.

By the time the Rams reach spring practices and minicamp, Carriker may have competition at defensive tackle from former Nebraska teammate Ndamukong Suh.

"Why not? If they feel he's the best player," Carriker said. "That's really up to the guys upstairs. They'll do whatever they think is best for the team."

Here's a look at how other Rams are healing from season-ending injuries:

WR KEENAN BURTON

Burton was leading the Rams in receptions (25) when he suffered a season-ending patellar injury in his right knee Nov. 15 against New Orleans. He had surgery six weeks ago, and says he's on pace to begin jogging next month.

Team medical officials have told Burton he's ahead of schedule so far in his rehab, but Burton is unsure whether he'll be able to participate in spring practices. Burton was starting to settle in as an NFL pass-catcher when the injury occurred.

"I was feeling like I had been feeling when I was in college," said Burton, who attended Kentucky. "I was getting back to it. But you know what? In the grand scheme of things, everything happens for a reason. ... I'm just excited about the opportunity to get healthy, and excited about getting back to where I was before I got hurt."

OG JACOB BELL

Bell missed the final three games because of a hamstring injury suffered Dec. 13 against Tennessee. He had been playing with a torn ligament in his thumb since the bye week, and underwent thumb surgery last week.

"I'd just been playing with a splint wrapped around my thumb during games, and since I wasn't able to play (because of the hamstring injury), I just figured I'd get it taken care of," Bell said. "The thumb actually wasn't as bad as they thought when they got in there, so that's good."

Bell said both the thumb and hamstring injuries should be fine by the time the Rams' offseason program begins in March.

OG MARK SETTERSTROM

After missing all but three games over the 2007 and '08 seasons with knee injuries, Setterstrom's goal in '09 was to make it through all 16 games and contribute to the team however he could. He fell 1½ games short of that goal, suffering a season-ending left triceps injury extending his arm on a run block Dec. 27 against Arizona.

"It was disappointing that it had to happen so close to the end of the season," Setterstrom said. "Hopefully, I can get it healed up in the next couple months."

Setterstrom, who started three games this season, underwent surgery last week and will have the cast removed next week. He expects a four- to five-month recovery period, so at the worst, Setterstrom hopes to be ready for training camp.

DT GARY GIBSON

For four seasons, Gibson had worked hard to get a foothold in the NFL. He earned a starting job for the first time this season, stepping into the void created by Carriker's injury problems. But five games into the season, Minnesota's Artis Hicks shoved Gibson late. Gibson landed awkwardly and suffered a broken ankle. Hicks was fined $5,000 by the NFL for unnecessary roughness.

"It was definitely a year of opportunity for me," Gibson said. "It's upsetting that I had to get hurt, especially on a cheap-shot type thing, but I'm back in the gym, back ready to go for next year to do it all over again."

A plate was inserted to help the broken bone heal. Gibson is doing a little jogging, and said he should be OK for spring practices.

Re: St. Louis Rams' Adam Carriker Hopes For Another Chance

glad to hear it about carriker and burton, two guys im eager to see in spring practice. Lots of people are ready to call it in with Carriker and let him go, but i want to see what this guy has and if he can stay moderately healthy for us, hes shown flashes when healthy and him and Suh, with clifton ryan thrown in there sounds like a nasty interior to me.

Should be a great WR competition going on in camp this year, free for all for jobs, best man gets it. Id like us to move avery to the slot this year...

Comment

I am also happy to hear that Carriker is going to be coming back from injury. I think he deserves a chance to prove himself in camp.

It kind of sucks for him to have to prove himself all over again, and with a coach like Spags who really likes to be creative with the front four you know he pays extra attention to them. I just think that he has his work cut out for him.

I think that he has some talent, but not as a N.T more as the under tackle or 3 technique whatever terminology you prefer.

This is just another example of the former management and how they just dropped the ball with player evaluations and draft picks. Who drafts a 3-4 end to play N.T in a 4-3 anyway. I know they were all about speed and pressure. This is how the scheme was built however the rams were not even getting to the quaterback in the past. If you guys remember before they drafted Chris Long the Rams were pathetic in the sack count.

I think that when Carriker faces the double teams which a good nose tackle does I think that carriker becomes innefective and often he did not get that double coverage. I think that coming from a 3-4 scheme where he played at end he should not be starting as a nose tackle I think that he should be playing at the under tackle where he will be facing more one on one batles and will be able to break free to get pressure or come off his block to make the tackle to help stop the run.

I remember seeing him play when he came out and when he was not at the N.T possition he was able to break free and get to the quaterback and help stop the run with some impressive tackles. I thought this guy had a nasty streak and could become something special but was playing out of position. I really believe in this guy, but he has got to stay healthy and prove himself all over again. Just go back and watch him on youtube from his rookie season.

However I also thought that Gary Gibson was doing a pretty descent job before he went down with his injury. Which was such a cheap shot I.M.O. For those who do not remember what happened the opposing player shoved him on the left shoulder after the play was done. It was a late hit and he fell over and broke his ankle. Well , that is the nature of the beast I suppose.

The Rams were better against the run when he was in there they were allowing approximately 114-120 yds per game against the run before he went down and then it balooned to approx. 150 yds against the run. You could argue they were facing stiffer competition after his injury, but I do not believe that.However they finished with appox. 137.5 yds per game allowed vs. the run at the end of the season after Spags started allowing the rookie Darrelll Scott come in and play. Which I did not get the chance to really see him play.

With these guys and Clifton Ryan as with others this just proves my point that he (Carriker) has his work cut out for him to try and earn a spot. Do not forget that Spags has gone on record as saying that he wants to create competition all over the field.

I guess this just leeds me to believe how badly the Rams need that N.T position filled and with house of spears that indeed will be done. I know it is cliche to say, but it all starts up front. Those big uglys as people like to call them plug up the holes and push back the pocket they take up three to four players some times to block them which allows for one on ones on the outside and allows the linebackers to roam free. Those tackles push back the pocket and really help against the run, and we all know which leeds to making your entire defence that much better.

Just imagine what the defence would look like adding house of spears (Ndamukong Suh) to the equation. I am drulling at the mouth just thinking about it.

As for this trend that I am noticing about Avery playing the slot. I just do not buy into it. I think that Avery is more of a speed guy who was just starting to polish off his route running last season. You have got to remember that he did not run specific routes in college. Avery is a deep threat but we did not have the O-line to keep the quaterback upright, granting him enough time to let Avery break free to toss him the ball. Just look back at the games every single time they tried to go deep to Avery the quaterback had to throw early not allowing him time to step into his throw causing the ball to be underthrown. Which led to the quaterback getting hit hard. No wonder they were not taking more shots downfield. With all of the quaterback injuries as well Avery just could not get used to his quaterback or vice versa. It was incredibly frustrating.

IMO a slot receiver is a guy with tremendous hands who runs smooth routes underneath which means he will get licked by either the safety of the linebackers in most casses. Which in my opinion Avery does not handle getting hit hard all that well. Look at when he got popped last game. vs. the ***** People always want that speed guy for the slot for when the defence is caught in cover 2 with that huge hole in the middle allowing the receiver to catch the ball and jet down the middle of the field to create a big play after the catch. You also have to remember the underneath routes often run the slants or digs. I think that this has Gibson written all over it. I am asking you guys to prove me wrong. I have seen it posted all over the forums Avery to the slot and I ask you guys why........

I would much rather see Laurent Robinson and Avery on the outside with Gibson manning the slot and Amendola and even Keenan Burton as the fourth option.

As for Bulger retiring....... read my lips is not happening. I hate to say this, but I do not think Marc is going anywhere. He loves the city and loves this team I think it is his to lose until someone comes in and takes it from him. He is also marrying a local and wants to grow old in the area. The rams are in a great cap situation and why would they not hang on to him for another season or two bring in someone to learn from him and learn the system aka a la Aaron Rogers.

Go Rams :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
        I am also happy to hear that Carriker is going to be coming back from injury.

I think that when Carriker faces the double teams which a good nose tackle does I think that carriker becomes innefective and often he did not get that double coverage. I think that coming from a 3-4 scheme where he played at end he should not be starting as a nose tackle I think that he should be playing at the under tackle where he will be facing more one on one batles and will be able to break free to get pressure or come off his block to make the tackle to help stop the run.

Go Rams :helmet:

i totally agree :ram:

Comment

good thing about that is he WILL be playing under tackle in all likelihood. Suh and Carriker on the interior gives me goosebumps. Long on the outside....*lets out girlie little yelp of pleasure* If ONE guy draws a double team on average on this front four then there is one on ones everywhere else. If you don't double Long, he will 8/10 times win his match-up, especially playing at LE. We all know the possibilities that could happen with Suh in a one-on-one...

You can't possibly double team two guys on a d-line without help of a tightend and we all know no tight ends are going to block Chris Long.

Add frequent blitzes to the equation and the possible emergence of Carriker and or our other end possibly requiring double teams (big what-if there) and its like....who do you block?

*Bral smells frequent sacks*

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
            Adam Carriker on the road to recovery
            by MauiRam
            By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer
            In putting the finishing touches on a solid rookie campaign, the normally reserved Adam Carriker couldn’t help but let his emotions get the better of him.

Carriker had started the whole season, working as a valuable cog in a defense in which he played every position on the line. Suddenly any joy he had been able to take from his first season work vanished, replaced by the stinging pain in his bent back shoulder.

“I’m not going to lie,” Carriker said. “I was pretty livid. I was like ‘Are you serious?’ I go the whole year, I don’t know how many plays I played and then the last game of the year I get hurt. I was really upset.”

t was the second play of the game against Arizona on Dec.30, the season finale and Carriker’s last chance to make a strong first impression. As per usual for the defensive tackle, Carriker was taking on a double team.

Carriker tried to get off the blocks but felt his shoulder moving in the opposite direction of the rest of his body. Finally, the shoulder popped and Carriker found himself in a great deal of pain.

Carriker did his best to play through the pain, finishing the first half and playing the early portion of the third quarter. By then, it had become clear to Carriker and the coaching staff that he was no longer effective and simply trying to tough it out. A quarter and a half early, Carriker’s rookie season ended abruptly.

When Carriker arrived back in St. Louis, he met with the medical staff to determine the severity of his injury. The verdict? A torn labrum in his shoulder that would require six months of rehabilitation.

In other words, from the time Carriker had surgery in the middle of January, he wouldn’t be able to return to the field until training camp in July at the earliest.
            At least, that was what the doctors ordered. But judging the progress Carriker has made in the past four plus months and the fact that he’s doing some individual work at this weekend’s minicamp, there’s a strong chance Carriker will not only be ready to go in time for training camp but could be at full strength.

“I think it is amazing how fast he has recovered,” coach Scott Linehan said. “Generally, with an injury like that, it is four to six months before you can do anything. I think in this case he could probably be able to play a game if we had to play one. I said it was youth but I think a lot of it has to do with work ethic and want. That guy has been busting his butt since the end of the season to get to where he is at. It has really paid off.”

Indeed, Carriker has attacked his rehab with the same voracious appetite that helped make him the Rams’ No. 1 pick in 2007. Soon after his surgery, Carriker wasn’t able to lift his arm above his shoulder without the help of someone else.

Within a few weeks, his range of motion...
            -05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Trade Was No Surprise To Carriker
            by r8rh8rmike
            Trade was no surprise to Carriker

BY JIM THOMAS
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            04/26/2010

Adam Carriker could see it coming, long before the initial speculation surfaced that he might be traded to the Washington Redskins.

"I suppose it's always a surprise when you get traded," the defensive lineman said. "But I know there'd been talks, even before it got out to the media. I knew the talks had gone on, so I wasn't shocked."

Rumor became reality last Tuesday, when Carriker was traded to the Redskins. The deal involved only a switch of fifth-round and seventh-round picks by the clubs; the Rams got no extra players or compensation for Carriker, a first-round draft pick out of Nebraska in 2007.

The current Rams coaching staff gave up on Carriker even though it saw very little of him on the field. Carriker was just coming back from shoulder surgery when he suffered an ankle injury 10 days into coach Steve Spagnuolo's first Rams training camp last summer. Carriker had just returned from the ankle injury when he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury — requiring surgery — in the 2009 preseason finale.

"It is what it is," Carriker said. "I guess they felt like they got a good enough look at me."

Carriker says he's excited about the new career challenge that lies ahead in Washington under veteran NFL head coach Mike Shanahan.

"We've struggled here the last few years in St. Louis," Carriker said. "No disrespect to the Rams, but all of a sudden I'm on a team that's made a lot of offseason moves. They're being talked about as a contender, and everybody's excited about the team."

Carriker spent a few days in Washington last week following the trade. He was back in St. Louis when he spoke with the Post-Dispatch in a phone interview but heads back to the nation's capital this week to participate in the Redskins' offseason conditioning program.

He talked to Shanahan for only a couple of minutes while in Washington last week. "They were getting ready for the draft," Carriker said.

But he'll been reunited in Washington with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who was Rams coordinator for two of Carriker's three seasons in St. Louis. "Coach Haz is a good coach," Carriker said.

In Washington, Carriker will play end in the Redskins' 3-4 alignment, which is considered a more natural position for him than defensive tackle in the Rams' 4-3. But But Carriker took mild offense to being typecast as a 3-4 end only.

"I played nose guard here (in St. Louis) my first year and did well at that," he said. "Sometimes I'd play nose guard, (3-technique) defensive tackle, and end all in one series. That happened against San Francisco. You didn't know where you were lining up until...
            -04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
          • RamWraith
            Carriker makes an impression
            by RamWraith
            Linehan likes what he sees from No. 1 pick

BY STEVE KORTE
            News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --
            Adam Carriker's first day of work in the NFL reminded him a lot of his first day at the University of Nebraska.

"When I left Washington for Nebraska, it was kind of the same thing," Carriker said. "You feel that little boy thing inside of you. You get the butterflies, you get anxious, you get excited, you get ready to play."

Carriker, the St. Louis Rams' first-round pick in the 2007 NFL draft, was working at both the defensive tackle spots -- nose guard and three-technique -- on Saturday during the opening day of the team's rookie minicamp.

"I'll play wherever," said Carriker, who played defensive end in college. "I might see a little end down the road, but for now, it's just going to be inside."

The 6-foot-6, 296-pound Carriker said playing defensive tackle is going to be an adjustment for him.

"It's definitely different," Carriker said. "On the outside, it's a lot more of a speed game. Obviously, you still have to hold the point of attack a little bit, but on the inside, there's a lot more double teams and a lot more linemen hitting you. It's a lot more physical."

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Carriker made a good first impression.

"I'm trying to reserve my optimism without sounding impressed, but I'm pretty impressed with this guy," Linehan said. "I felt pretty good about our ability to draft him two weeks ago.

"Now that he's here and being able to see him in a Rams uniform confirms why we felt so strongly about him. I think he is going to be really special."

There's no pads and little contact during the minicamp, which includes only rookies and first-year players. Veterans will arrive Tuesday for organized team activities (OTAs).

Carriker said he's still working himself into shape. He hasn't played in a game since the Senior Bowl on Jan. 27 in Mobile, Ala.

"It's definitely intense," Carriker said. "I am going to be sore tomorrow. That's what you expect coming into the rookie camp. I haven't played since the Senior Bowl two or three months ago, so it's just a matter of getting back in football shape.

"There's a level of difference, but I expect it to come up even more when the veterans get here. Right now, it's like the freshmen waiting for the varsity to get here."

Carriker said he's getting challenged mentally as well as physically.

"They threw like half the playbook at me," Carriker said. "I'm sure it wasn't anything close to it, but it kind of felt like it. I have to learn it, and make it like it's second nature."

Carriker, wearing the same No. 90 jersey that he wore...
            -05-13-2007, 06:13 AM
          • MASSIVE
            Carriker looks to take big step with Rams
            by MASSIVE
            By Bill Coats
            ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
            06/05/2009

Mercifully, only two games remained for the Rams when defensive tackle Adam Carriker was asked in mid-December to describe the season.

"Incredibly frustrating," he grumbled.

With losses in those final two outings, the Rams finished 2-14 a year after going 3-13 in Carriker's rookie season. The lousy '08 record was compounded by shoulder and ankle injuries that severely limited Carriker's effectiveness. MORE RAMS
            SOUND OFF: Rams Talk forum
            2009 SCHEDULE: Team by team
            BLOG: Around The Horns
            CHATS: Jim Thomas Live
            P-D PHOTOS: Rams galleries
            P-D STORIES: Last 14 days of Rams coverage

Five months later, the team's first-round draft pick (No. 13 overall) in 2007 is feeling frisky again. "It's a load off your mind, for one thing," he said. "Physically, you're a hundred percent. It's a huge difference, just knowing you're healthy."

Carriker's problems began when he tore the labrum in his left shoulder in the last game of the '07 season. As a result, he couldn't work in the weight room until well into the preseason conditioning program.

"I couldn't even lift my shoulder up after surgery," said Carriker, who reluctantly acknowledged that he didn't regain full strength all last season.

"During the game I didn't think about it as much; you forget everything else in the world but football," he said. "It was more getting ready for the game, more of a practice deal."

An ankle injury kept him out of one game in late October and lingered for the rest of the year. Then he hurt his right shoulder Nov. 23 vs. Chicago. His surgically repaired joint "actually became my good shoulder," he pointed out.

After getting 45 tackles and two sacks as a rookie, the former Nebraska defensive end fell off to 40 tackles, with no sacks, last year. He had no real home on the line; he spent time at both tackle positions and at end, adding to his difficulties.

The 6-foot-6, 300-pound Carriker is stronger and "looks like he's a little quicker," coach Steve Spagnuolo observed between Thursday's two minicamp practices at Rams Park.

Carriker is strictly a left tackle in defensive coordinator Ken Flajole's scheme. He'll line up in different spots, based on the offense's alignment. But always on the same side.

"It's nice to kind of get homed in on one thing," Carriker said. "I'll just be on the left side and ... trying to wreak some havoc."

Previously, the Rams' defensive linemen were told to hold their gaps, no matter what. Under Flajole, they have more leeway to finesse and try to pressure the quarterback.

"Obviously, you can't be reckless. But I like having a little...
            -06-04-2009, 10:37 PM
          • MauiRam
            Carriker looks to play the 3-technique more and more ...
            by MauiRam
            http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=nfcwest

St. Louis
            Nov. 9, 2007

Carriker starting to make strides inside

It’s looking more and more, we hear, like the interior of the Rams’ defensive line is destined to feature fellow rookies Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan at the three-technique and NT positions, respectively. “I’d say that’s a good possibility,” Carriker told PFW after Wednesday’s practice for the upcoming game against the Saints. “Cliff has played real well on the nose, and I’m getting to play the ‘three-spot’ a little more, with more pass-rush opportunities.” Carriker, whose body got a welcome rest last week with the Rams on bye, says it really doesn’t matter which tackle spot he plays. “It’s not a big deal,” he said. “It’s wherever I’m getting the playing time.” Carriker had nothing but good things to say about veteran Rams UT La’Roi Glover, who he said has gone out of his way to get him up to speed at his new position after Carriker played defensive end at Nebraska. “He has really helped me a lot,” Carriker said of Glover. “Anytime I have a question, he’s quick to help me, like today in practice, when I was stuck on a particular type of pass-rush move. He showed me a couple of good counter moves right away.” It turns out Carriker has had experience playing on a team that has suffered as much as the Rams currently are suffering in the standings this season. “In my four years in high school, our team’s record was 2-36, including 0-9 my senior year.” Carriker said. He also said, however, that he never has been on a team at any level that has suffered as many injuries as the Rams have this season. “Not even close,” he said. “And I never hope to see anything like this again.”
            Amen!!!!!
            -11-10-2007, 04:15 PM
          Working...
          X