• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie: No Reason For Bulger To Return

01.07.2010 10:59 am
    No Reason for Bulger to Return
    By Bernie Miklasz

Marc Bulger doesnít need this and the Rams donít need him: As Jim Thomas reported in todayís Post-Dispatch, the Ramsí battered QB is thinking about retiring. If Bulger does retire, we wish him well. If Bulger doesnít retire, then he should hope to latch on with a quality team, spend some time as a good backup, and let his body heal. But the worst thing Bulger can do is return to the Rams. It makes absolutely no sense for either side. The Rams wonít be in a position to win in 2010, and Bulger couldnít help them. All he would do is absorb more of a pounding and probably get hurt again. He is not a difference maker in a rebuilding situation, but could be an effective quarterback when surrounded by good working parts. The Rams arenít there yet. If they bring in a new veteran QB to handle the job for a couple of years until a youngster is ready, it should be someone who is mobile, someone who can give the offense a different kind of dimension. Itís just time to move on. If the Rams canít find a better option than Bulger at this stage of Bulgerís career, then GM Billy Devaney isnít doing his job. Bulger signed a six-year, $62.5 million deal in the summer of 2007. He received $27 million guaranteed. Since signing the deal heís 5-31 as a starter and ranks (minimum 25 starts) 29th among NFL QBs in passer rating, 29th in completion percentage, 30th in YPA. He has the 26th-worst INT rate and the 30th-poorest TD rate. It isnít all of his fault, of course. The offense around Bulger went bad, and there wasnít much he could do except get sacked 89 times over the last three seasons. Thereís been too much damage. If the Rams invite Bulger back, itíll give fans another reason to decline the pitch to buy season tickets.

Re: Bernie: No Reason For Bulger To Return

i wish the best for him.
    while i always wished he was a leader type who would command everyones attention, and i also have been growing more disappointed in his play in recent years, i have always liked the guy.
    i would like to see him finish his career on a higher note.

Comment

Wish him well, he had some great years with us.. I'm a Bulger fan.

Comment

RamsFanSam: No reason for Bernie to return.

The world already has enough gossip columnists.
        temp_4394_1467243487543_20
        RAMS!

Comment

I dont understand how a professional sportswriter could fail to make the point that 2010 is likely to be an uncapped year, meaning the cap implications of bulger leaving at this point are likely none. If there is a cap in 2010, what would be the cap hit for bulger leaving, given the unamortized portion of the bonus over the length of the contract. That cap situation is at the core of the "he cant help the rams" comment. If they cut him and it costs us several million in cap availabilty, that certainly hurts the rams.

I think bulger is gone because given the uncertainty of the team being for sale, and the fact that we arent ready to win, along with the uncapped year, why should the rams pay his salary next year if its not guaranteed at this point. THe signing bonus is gone, but i think the rams will be looking for a lot less expensive option at qb, in addition to a more mobile one.

I seriously wouldnt count out the chance of vick in a rams uniform. I am not making a judgment on it, just saying that i dont think its out of the question.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

He has a point. If Bulger wants to keep playing so he can make a playoff run or the like, there are probably places where his odds would be better. Playing for the Rams, the question becomes whether the beatings and stress of being blamed for losses is worth the money. Of course, it is an awful lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
              I dont understand how a professional sportswriter could fail to make the point that 2010 is likely to be an uncapped year, meaning the cap implications of bulger leaving at this point are likely none. If there is a cap in 2010, what would be the cap hit for bulger leaving, given the unamortized portion of the bonus over the length of the contract. That cap situation is at the core of the "he cant help the rams" comment. If they cut him and it costs us several million in cap availabilty, that certainly hurts the rams.

I think bulger is gone because given the uncertainty of the team being for sale, and the fact that we arent ready to win, along with the uncapped year, why should the rams pay his salary next year if its not guaranteed at this point. THe signing bonus is gone, but i think the rams will be looking for a lot less expensive option at qb, in addition to a more mobile one.

I seriously wouldnt count out the chance of vick in a rams uniform. I am not making a judgment on it, just saying that i dont think its out of the question.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
              Does an uncapped year really mean that Bulger's guaranteed money is no longer actually guaranteed, though? If not, that still leaves a huge golden handshake still to be handed out if he's cut.

Hard to say exactly how huge but I think he got a $12 mill signing bonus as part of that $27 mill guaranteed. Even assuming he got another chunk of that in '09, it still leaves millions that have yet to be actually paid.

Previously unknown aspects of the CBA in the event of a failure to extend or renew seem to be popping up out of the fine print all the time so maybe I'm talking out the wazoo.

As to BM's assessment of the team , I really can't be bothered to debunk such drivel. His lack of football acumen in general & understanding of what's currently going on with this team in particular never ceases to amaze me.

I agree on Vick with the same no-judgement caveat. TV revenue may well be a factor in this QB decision & I think Vick would probably enhance that considerably at least in the short term
              Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-09-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I'm not so sure about Bulger leaving. If he wants to play next year, I don't think there will be many takers unless Bulger is willing to take less money in a bargain agreement another team can't pass up. I also don't think that other teams will want to take a chance on him. I think this is where the retirement rumor is coming from. As for Vick coming to the Rams, WHY on earth would he want to go to St. Louis? Money would definitely be the ultimate reason, but my impression of Mike Vick has always been one in which he thinks primarily of himself (ie Deion Sanders). That's my opinion, of course. Simply put, in the Rams' present state, if Bulger can't help the Rams, then I seriously doubt Mike Vick could help them much, either. Personally, I'd rather Bulger stayed and finished his career in St. Louis while a younger QB waits. Bulger understands that the Rams are rebuilding.
                Last edited by laramsfan73; -01-09-2010, 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by RamsFanSam View Post
                  RamsFanSam: No reason for Bernie to return.

The world already has enough gossip columnists.

amen! ......

Comment

Even though I consider Bernie to be a fat twit, I generally agree with the opinions he has expressed in this brief.

Comment

Azul, i dont really see how TV money matters in a vick decision since the TV contract is national and all the teams share in the money. I think however its a good point that ticket sales might be positively impacted by signing vick as he will add some excitement (assuming the protesters dont outweigh the fans)

You are correct that guaranteed money doesnt impact the cap vs no cap analysis. I thought, however, that the guaranteed portion of the money had already been paid and its mainly a salary issue at this point. I may be wrong on that, and would love to know the definitive facts. My main point was that to the extent the cash is gone, this would be the time to cut him since you dont have the cap hit. Either way, its a point that bernie should have discussed in the article since its certainly relevant to the discussion and something his intelligent readers should want to know.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                        Azul, i dont really see how TV money matters in a vick decision since the TV contract is national and all the teams share in the money. I think however its a good point that ticket sales might be positively impacted by signing vick as he will add some excitement (assuming the protesters dont outweigh the fans)

You are correct that guaranteed money doesnt impact the cap vs no cap analysis. I thought, however, that the guaranteed portion of the money had already been paid and its mainly a salary issue at this point. I may be wrong on that, and would love to know the definitive facts. My main point was that to the extent the cash is gone, this would be the time to cut him since you dont have the cap hit. Either way, its a point that bernie should have discussed in the article since its certainly relevant to the discussion and something his intelligent readers should want to know.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                        Given the lengths to which teams go to ensure sellouts, I think their share of that tv money is linked to them.

But I'm admittedly just guessing; nobody seems to know how that works or how big the pie is, inc The NFLPA, hence the CBA problem.

You may be right about the money & The Rams have shown a willingness to take short term hits financially for long term strategic gains anyway. Btw, when looking for some definitive answer, I found a weird site called salary(dash)money(dot)com. I doubt their numbers are totally accurate but the financial clock thing is mesmerizing , nonetheless. Sickening but fascinating.

I think Bulger will probably go as well but I don't think it is as clear cut a good thing for either party as ole Bowel Movement makes out. I certainly hope that it is a football decision, not a financial one. And I double-doubt that the stats/half-baked analysis that BM offers will be the basis of it even if The Rams will weigh football over finance.

Comment

Before even reading this article I can think of one reason he should return.

He is BY FAR the best quarterback on our roster.

Unless we can pick up a FA better then him, why let him go.

If we draft a rookie he needs a year to learn the offense. Bulger should start that year.
                          Last edited by FestusRam; -01-10-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

And also i just think Bernie has about as much football smarts as a fifth grader.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                              BERNIE BITS: Rams should not let Bulger play for rest of the season
                              by RamWraith
                              By Bernie Miklasz
                              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                              12/08/2007

It's ridiculous that the Rams waited until Friday before scratching quarterback Marc Bulger from the lineup for Sunday's game in Cincinnati.

Hasn't Bulger absorbed enough beatings this season? You don't fool around with head injuries. Besides, the Rams are 3-9. They aren't angling for a playoff spot or a winning season. And several months ago they invested $65 million in Bulger in the form of a new contract.

Why take the risk of jeopardizing his health, career and the team's investment?

Coach Scott Linehan should have gotten Sunday's starter, the inexperienced Brock Berlin, ready to play this week instead of clinging to Bulger. Now that Bulger has been ruled out, Berlin will be thrown into his first NFL game without the benefit of extensive preparation.

The Rams brutally mishandled this situation but can avoid additional imprudence by sitting Bulger down for the remainder of the season.

The Rams can't save 2007, but they can preserve Bulger for 2008. Only three games remain after Sunday. Bulger should clear his head of all post-concussion symptoms and get ready for a fresh start in '08.

Bulger has been knocked down 43 times in nine games this season. Since the start of the 2002 season, only David Carr, Drew Bledsoe and Daunte Culpepper have been sacked more than Bulger (194). Since the start of the 2003 season, only Carr (186) has been sacked more than Bulger (182).

Look at that list. Carr, who once held great promise, is a shell of himself after being subjected to so much physical punishment. Bledsoe aged terribly on the job and is out of football. Culpepper suffered a devastating knee injury and is still searching for his previous form.

You just don't get clobbered as much as Bulger has and remain healthy. That's why Linehan and team management must wise up and avoid exposing Bulger to further damage behind a porous offensive line.
                              -12-08-2007, 07:41 AM
                            • r8rh8rmike
                              Bernie: Time Right To Let Beat-Up Bulger Go?
                              by r8rh8rmike
                              Time right to let beat-up Bulger go?

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
                              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                              11/26/2009

When Marc Bulger took over as starting quarterback for the Rams, life was good. Bulger was able to carry on a winning tradition for a while. He led the remnants of the "Greatest Show on Turf" to a 12-4 record in 2003, and appeared to be a legitimate successor to a beaten-down Kurt Warner.

In perhaps his finest singular highlight, Bulger threw a beautiful, precise pass to tight end Cam Cleeland for the winning touchdown to lead the Rams to a thrilling victory at Seattle in the 2004 NFC wild-card game. Bulger played well in 2006 and signed a six-year, $65 million contract extension in the summer of '07. The job had its rewards, that's for sure.

But all along, Bulger was in a precarious situation. The franchise was about to blow up, and Bulger happened to be the quarterback standing near the tripwire. He wasn't going to be able to survive the carnage, not without paying a severe price.

When Bulger slowly limped off the field at the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday, he carried the weight of another Rams loss. The comeback stalled; Arizona knocked out Bulger and the Rams 21-13. Bulger was in pain ... again. The most serious of the injuries, a broken shin bone, was discovered Monday in an MRI exam.

We may have seen the last of Bulger in a Rams uniform. He'll be sidelined for three to six weeks. The Rams (1-9) have only six games remaining, and it would be crazy to play him and expose him to more punishment.

I've been critical of Bulger the last two-plus seasons. The quality of his performance declined rapidly since the end of the 2006 season. But I'm not without empathy. Much of Bulger's downfall can be explained by the circumstances surrounding him.

I think I came up with the term "Battered Quarterback Syndrome" and applied it to Bulger. A quarterback can absorb only so many body slams, cracks to the ribs and blows to the head before he loses effectiveness.

Bulger became the favorite rag doll of NFL pass rushers. He's been sacked 242 times since the start of the 2003 season, the most among NFL quarterbacks. And that doesn't include the hundreds of times he got drilled while releasing throws.

If this is it for Bulger, then what is his legacy?

A sad one.

With excessive amounts of pain, frustration and losing.

Bulger had to replace the eternally popular Warner ó a thankless task for obvious reasons. The Rams were 40-17 with Warner as a starter, advanced to two Super Bowls and won Super Bowl XXXIV. Moreover, Warner was a two-time league MVP and a Super Bowl MVP.

Best of luck living up to that standard. Any quarterback who followed Warner would have to deal with baggage, comparisons and resentment. It's always...
                              -11-25-2009, 11:55 PM
                            • AvengerRam_old
                              Bulger mellow?? Read his quotes!
                              by AvengerRam_old
                              This just in, from our pal Bernie:...
                              -12-03-2006, 03:00 PM
                            • r8rh8rmike
                              Bernie: Bulger On The Spot
                              by r8rh8rmike
                              09.11.2009 11:40 am
                              Sept. 11: 5 Minutes on Bulger, Rams
                              By Bernie Miklasz

Marc Bulger on the Spot: The next time I hear one of the Bulger apologists make excuses for him, saying that his poor play over the last two seasons is directly attributable to the number of sacks and hits he takes, Iíll offer a two-word rebuttal: Ben Roethlisberger. Since the start of the 2004 season, Big Ben has been sacked more than any NFL quarterback, 196. Bulger has been sacked 191 times since Ď04. Over the last two seasons, Roethlisberger has been sacked 93 times compared to 75 for Bulger. In terms of sacks per passing attempts, Roethlisberger in 2007-2008 was sacked on 9.1 percent of his setups, compared to 8.1 percent for Bulger. And itís not as if Roethlisberger is the benficiary of a strong running game; as we saw again Thursday night, the Pittsburgh Steelers are surprisingly mediocre on the ground. And Roethlisberger took a pounding but found a way to lead the Steelers to a season-opening win over Tennessee in a brutally tough encounter. After being decked early, Roethlisberger completed 18 of 22 passes in the second half and OT. He didnít go into a shell. So how is it that Roethlisberger can continue to make so many clutch plays after absorbing so much physical punishment? Why is Roethlisberger able to overcome the abuse? I realize that Ben likes to hang onto the ball, and he likes to fight off the rushers, so a percentage of the sacks are on him. But Bulger also holds onto the ball for too long ó for the wrong reasons. Heís got to be more decisive. If you listen to the Friends of Bulger, youíd think heís the only QB in history to get hit in the mouth. Please. I think the Rams will do a better job of protecting Bulger this season. I think Pat Shurmurís version of the West Coast offense will put Bulger into position to get the ball out quckly. I think Steven Jackson and a more physical O-line will give Bulger a running game. Itís time for Bulger to start making plays.

The Release of Chris Draft: Seems to me that the Rams, who lack depth, could still use a guy who can start at any LB position, back up at any LB position, and do an effective job on the special teams. Draft was also a leader, and a guy who represented the franchise in a classy way with his considerable work in the STL community. Itís strange to cut a starter three days before the regular-season opener. Itís strange to bounce him and bring back a player, Quinton Culberson, who couldnít make your final roster less than a week ago. I think the Rams could have found a better spot to save money and gain salary-cap relief. This was not a football decision. But all of that said, the teamís cap problem is severe. That this team will go into the first game with only 4 WR and 5 healthy LBs tells us all we need to know about the financial turmoil. Cap specialist Kevin Demoff has an excruciating task right now, to work through the huge pile of problems left...
                              -09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
                            • RamWraith
                              Thrown for a loss
                              by RamWraith
                              By Bernie Miklasz
                              ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                              Thursday, Oct. 25 2007

Late last season, Marc Bulger called out unnamed teammates for giving less than
                              maximum effort. The remarks played well in the community, and in the locker
                              room. And Bulger took a step forward as a leader.

OK, so where is that guy now?

Can we get Bulger to take charge?

The Rams need him to be a positive leader.

Bulger has taken a terrible step back this season, in his performance, and in
                              his attitude. And this is especially troubling in that Bulger's decline comes a
                              few months after the franchise gave him a $65 million contract that includes
                              $27 million in guaranteed money.

Here's what the Rams have gotten, so far, for their investment:

ó An 0-7 record.

ó The lowest-scoring offense of the Rams' 13 seasons in St. Louis.

ó An average of nine points per game in Bulger's five starts.

ó A Bulger passer rating of 58.7, which is the lowest by a Rams' starting
                              quarterback (minimum five starts) since the team moved here in 1995.

Yes, what Bulger has done this season is worse than anything served up by Tony
                              Banks, the object of hostile ridicule and derision during his term as the Rams'
                              starting QB from 1996 to 1998. With Bulger teaming with backup Gus Frerotte
                              (two starts), the Rams are at the

bottom of the NFL in passer rating.

Bulger is playing with a couple of broken ribs, and I respect him for that.
                              Wednesday, Bulger said he's feeling better ó about 80 percent healthy. "It's
                              not that bad," he said.

Plenty of NFL quarterbacks are hurting. I watched Arizona's Kurt Warner play at
                              Washington on Sunday with a brace on his left arm, to stabilize a torn elbow
                              ligament. Warner couldn't use the left arm to hand the ball off; he was a
                              one-armed QB.

Warner, shaky early, never stopped battling. He refused to give in to his pain,
                              the hostile stadium, the physical Redskins defense. Warner completed 13 of 21
                              for 211 yards in the second half to nearly rally the Cardinals back from a
                              15-point, fourth-quarter deficit. Washington held on to win by two.

After the game, Redskins assistant Al Saunders, the former Rams assistant,
                              waited for Warner outside the locker room and commented to reporters, "What a
                              courageous guy. He can't even lift his left arm. You've got to be tough to play
                              that position, but that guy's really tough."

Warner left everything he had on that field. No one who saw the game had any
                              questions about Warner's fire, his competitiveness. That isn't true of Bulger
                              these days.

I realize the offensive line is mostly a collection of spare parts and...
                              -10-25-2007, 07:01 AM
                            Working...
                            X