David Vobora: Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Vobora: Yay or Nay?

Should Vobora retain his spot as of now, or should he be reserved to a back-up/special teams role. I want even hear that he shouldn't at least stay so don't bother...

Re: David Vobora: Yay or Nay?

I say 'yay.' We have a ton of holes and while he's not a pro-bowler, he's servicable. Also, personally I think OLB in a 4-3 system is one of the least important positions on the field and would rather address holes elsewhere first. I think he's been a pleasant surprise for somebody drafted in the Mr Irrelevant spot.

Comment

I'd say he's a back-up with potential. Since it's still not entirely clear whether he was juicing or not & missed those 4 games because of suspension which probably slowed his development in the system, his future is almost as hard to read as one of the many injured guys.

I'm definitely hoping that one spot DeSpags might bend their criteria for older vets is at OLB.Maybe even a high draft pick. Lau needs help beside him as well as in front to develop into the playmaker we all hope he has shown signs of becoming. We need OLBs who can do more than play with energy & tackle decently which is all I think we've seen from Vobora . So far, he neither helps in pass rush nor is particularly good at coverage,imo.

I don't think Lenon should be a starter at OLB,either. Worth keeping as a back-up to Lau at MLB where he's been the most effective in his career elsewhere & ,like Mr Irrelevant, has the versatility to play any of the LB spots in an injury pinch.
      Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-13-2010, 02:17 PM.

Comment

takem or leavem, nothin special so far

Comment

I'm not a fan of cheaters, he should be off the team. However, if we are simply judging his playing ability, he can be a good back-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
            I say 'yay.' We have a ton of holes and while he's not a pro-bowler, he's servicable.
            Definitely servicable, and Spags seems very high on him. Yay.

Comment

To be clear, he wasn't cheating. The supplement he took didn't put all the ingredients it contained on the label apparently, and Vobora has stated he aims to sue the company who sold the product.

Let's not go throwing labels around lightly

Comment

Spags does seem to be high on him but I still think his future on the RAMS is on the fence at best.
                sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

he'd be a really good backup, might have to start for another year, he is at least serviceable though doesn't do a whole lot to make us much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
                    To be clear, he wasn't cheating. The supplement he took didn't put all the ingredients it contained on the label apparently, and Vobora has stated he aims to sue the company who sold the product.

Let's not go throwing labels around lightly
                    Fair enough but what sports cheater hasn't had a similar story when he got busted ? Did you believe McGwire's story,too?

Let's not be gullible, either.

Juiced or not, 40 combined tackles, 2 passes defended,0 sacks, 1 FF in 10 games is just not starter performance. Maybe he develops, maybe not, but that dog won't hunt if The Rams D is going to become good enough for the real talents like Lau & Long to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Azul e Oro View Post
                      Fair enough but what sports cheater hasn't had a similar story when he got busted ? Did you believe McGwire's story,too?

Let's not be gullible, either.

Juiced or not, 40 combined tackles, 2 passes defended,0 sacks, 1 FF in 10 games is just not starter performance. Maybe he develops, maybe not, but that dog won't hunt if The Rams D is going to become good enough for the real talents like Lau & Long to shine.
                      Well said sir. For a team and coach hell bent on stopping the run, we're going to need more than 40 tackles from an OLB, even if you average it out, 64 over the rest of the season isn't something to get too excited about. As the dust settles on this offseason I wouldn't be upset if he returns, but I do hope they find someone to start over Lenon.

Comment

He's serviceable but he isn't going to confuse anyone with Anthony Spencer anytime soon

Comment

I'd like to see someone brought in to compete for that spot, but Vobora should be in on that competition.

Comment

Id be surprised if we dont have someone to compete against him, but id also be surprised if it was a big name FA or high draft pick. Maybe a 4th rounder at most.
                            @EssexRam_

Comment

i think we need a serious upgrade at OLB to become a play-off team again..Vobora is definately worth keeping on the roster (he can play all the spots..sort of a young Chris Draft)..but at this point...he is only the starter by default..IMO.
                              but we have other needs elsewhere that Spags & Billy D may feel the money is better spent.
                              i would be shocked if Vobora was handed the starting job with no real competition..i think Vobora falls into the same category as Fells,Robinson,Gibson,Null,Greco,Fletcher...all youngsters who have shown some flashes..but still not enough to say here is our starter for next year.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• tomahawk247
                                Vobora at SLB?
                                by tomahawk247
                                There are a lot of people on these boards that say we still need another OLB, even despite having signed Zac Diles. I'm not sure this is necessarily true. Vobora seemed to play well given his chance to start after Na'il Diggs got injured, and i think he could really do a job at the position. We don't need a team of all stars, and playing alongside Laurinaitis and Diles, Vobora could do a decent job.
                                I know Diggs is back again this year, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Vobora overtake him, especially now that his name was cleared over that mess with the performance enhancers
                                -08-01-2011, 05:29 AM
                              • RamsInfiniti
                                David Vobora could be one answer on the outside ...
                                by RamsInfiniti
                                All the Rams recent draft failures aside, it seems that one potential diamond in the rough could be last year's Mr. Irrelevant David Vobora ...

Vobora started the season strong with nice outings in the first two games of the season, only to be setback by his suspension ...

He has again played fairly strong football the past three weeks. Vobora has a motor that doesn't stop. While this does cause him to overpursue on occasion, I have noticed that Vobora has a knack for finding his way into the opposing backfield. He has 5 tackles for loss in 8 games, and another 4 tackles resulting in a runner being stopped for no gain. Vobora is a great wrap-up tackler, and rarely lets a ball carrier get free when in the grasp ...

Vobora does need to improve in coverage, where he has been average, but by no means a liability ...

Overall, Vobora has been doing a very solid job in my opinion. He's a tough nosed hard hitting player who could definitely figure into the future as a starting LB here ....

J. Lau and Vobora, paired with a very fast, rangy LB on the weakside, along with a wide body up front, could be a very solid group for us in the future ...
                                -12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                David Vobora taking it to the next level
                                by RamWraith
                                Going against the odds;

By Jerome Hubbard
                                Special to Stlouisrams.com

It is one thing to silence all the doubters but it is another to go against the odds and St. Louis Rams linebacker David Vobora is doing just that. Deemed as “Mr. Irrelevant,” Vobora was the last pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, 252 overall and, according to the history, not supposed to make the team.

“Mr. Irrelevant” has not made an NFL roster since 2000 but Vobora ended that streak this year when he made the Rams’ final roster. For some that would be an honor or a privilege but for Vobora it was just another stepping stone in a journey that has seen him silence doubters and critics on a consistent basis.

“My whole career I have been told that I was good but not good enough to play at the next level,” Vobora said. “That was what I heard in middle school, when I played varsity, in college, and now in the pros. I have always had doubters.”

David Vobora grew up in a football family. His dad played at the University of Oregon. When David was younger, not only did he play linebacker but he also played quarterback and defensive end.

“I played a diverse number of positions,” Vobora said. “I always played quarterback but they never wanted the quarterback to play defense. In high school, I convinced my coaches to let me play on defense and the varsity coach saw that and gave me an opportunity to play linebacker my junior and senior year.”

When it was time to choose a college, David did not have a lot of options. He was not offered a scholarship from the state’s Division 1 power houses, Oregon or Oregon State, nor was he offered a scholarship from any other PAC 10 school. But despite the lack of interest, Vobora always wanted to play at the highest level so when the University of Idaho offered him a full scholarship to play football, he jumped at the opportunity.

“Coming out of high school I had a lot of Division 1AA offers; I went to Idaho and got an opportunity to develop.” Vobora said. “I got an opportunity to play and I made some plays.”

Vobora’s collegiate career was defined by a series of events. Throughout his time in college, the football team only won nine games, coaches were in and out, and players came and went. One Vobora most remembers and continues to hold close to his heart was the loss of a teammate and friend to gun violence during Vobora’s freshmen year.

Eric McMillan was a true freshman who played cornerback for the university and, according to Vobora, had a great future. McMillan was a hardt worker and served as a mentor for Vobora when David first came to college but one day after an altercation in a night club, Eric McMillan was shot and killed. Vobora was so shocked and devastated; he contemplated quitting and dropping out of school.

“I can remember sitting in the dorms and thinking that this isn’t for...
                                -11-12-2008, 04:33 AM
                              • RockinRam
                                Starting OLB's vs. David Vobora. Should Vobora be a starter?
                                by RockinRam
                                Should he guys?

David Vobora is a bit underrated IMO. He isn't a superstar by any means, and he still has a lot of room for improvement, but his career alone has been admirable.

To be the last pick of an NFL Draft, and then working his way into the starting line-up? I think he has got some potential.

He plays the run well, and has pretty good awareness against the pass too.

So the question is, is Diggs really that much better than Vobora? And is Larry Grant better than Vobora?
                                -10-16-2010, 03:38 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Vobora Steps Into Starting Role
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Vobora Steps Into Starting Role
                                Thursday, September 10, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
                                Senior Writer

Officially, linebacker David Vobora’s reign as Mr. Irrelevant ended this year when the Kansas City Chiefs selected kicker Ryan Succop with the final pick of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Vobora probably erased any doubt when he made the start at middle linebacker on Nov. 30 of last season against Miami. But any lingering suspicion was erased Thursday afternoon when Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo named Vobora the team’s starting strong side linebacker for this week’s opener in Seattle.

“We hope this year in 2009, he’s Mr. Relevant,” defensive coordinator Ken Flajole said. “Only time will tell but again he’s done a good job. I am pleased he is getting an opportunity to show what he can do. I’m sure he is too. Hopefully he will just take it and run.”

Vobora’s promotion comes on the same day the Rams parted ways with incumbent Chris Draft. The Rams released Draft earlier on Thursday morning but the opportunity for Vobora to make his impression has long since been in the making.

Way back in the organized team activities and minicamps in the spring, Vobora was part of a combination with fellow linebacker Larry Grant working at the strong side position.

As rookie James Laurinaitis got acclimated with the NFL game and worked with the second team in the middle, Draft worked with the starters and Vobora took turns with Grant on the outside, literally trading days working with the first team.

While Laurinaitis earned the starting job early in camp, Vobora continued to make a strong impression on the coaches.

“David has really been doing a heck of a job,” Spagnuolo said. “He had stepped up there; there was a chance that would happen anyway. David will step right in there and hopefully we won’t skip a beat.”

Upon his arrival as head coach in St. Louis, Spagnuolo had talked about how there were plenty of opportunities for young players to prove themselves.

And one way to catch the coach’s eye was evident from the very beginning. Any player with the versatility to play multiple positions would be given a long look by the coaching staff.

“He’s one of those guys and I have said this about a lot of guys with the versatility, he’s played some MIC and he’s been out there playing outside linebacker,” Spagnuolo said. “He’s picked both up pretty good, he’s understanding the system and he’s made plays. So you slide him over there to SAM and hopefully he’ll continue to make plays.”

Vobora spent most of his time at the University of Idaho playing weak side linebacker but also made starts in the middle. When he arrived in St. Louis last year, Vobora spent his time bouncing among the three positions.

When injuries struck during the season, Vobora’s role on special...
                                -09-10-2009, 07:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X