Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If not Bulger then who?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If not Bulger then who?

    I know there are alot of fans out there that want to see Bulger go, but who will take his place?

    I don't see any qb's in the draft that could do any better than Bulger has done with this receiving core.

    The fact is he's been playing with very weak receivers if they can even stay healthy.

    What qb do you see coming in an making any better throws than him.

    I know he had some overthrown and under thrown balls this year but he is still very accurate at hitting open receivers. He also knows the offense well and looked like he was started to get in sync with some of the receivers before his and their injuries.

    Im not trying to make this another Bulger thread but i'm just wondering who these people want if Bulger isnt here. I dont see many free agents doing better with this receivng core either.

    If Vick comes to STL with his terrible passer rating all he will probably do is throw int's and scramble around alot. We have Jackson to do the running and Vick will just be terrible with these receivers.

    I like these young receivers but they just need time to learn and Vick's passing game wont help them at all.

  • #2
    Re: If not Bulger then who?

    IMO, it's not so much a question of whether a rookie would play better or worse than Bulger in 2010. Bulger has been battered and bruised. He'll be 33 this spring. His quarterback rating has been in the bottom third of starting quarterbacks for three years straight. What future is there between him and the team? If it's true that no one could be successful with the talent we have now, then we should be looking at how to achieve success in the long-term. Given Bulger's age, he's probably not going to be around for a long-term rebuild.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: If not Bulger then who?

      Yeah im not saying long term im saying as somewhat of a stop-gap for a rookie to develop. This year though i think he is the most qualified to start. I like what Spags is doing with this team and i think if Bulger stays he will help him out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: If not Bulger then who?

        If Bulger retires in 2010, then I would go for Chad Pennington in the FA. We need a veteran QB in the short term so he can teach our future young "franchise QB" to reach super stardom.


        ♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: If not Bulger then who?

          pennington or garcia would be just as good as bulger if not better for a year or two and would cost a hell of a lot less...face it people, bulger is as good as gone unless he agrees to restructure his deal (highly unlikely), move on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: If not Bulger then who?

            Originally posted by molar_pistol View Post
            pennington or garcia would be just as good as bulger if not better for a year or two and would cost a hell of a lot less...face it people, bulger is as good as gone unless he agrees to restructure his deal (highly unlikely), move on.
            If we have a cap, Garcia or Pennington (assuming they want to sign with us-an important consideration which gets overlooked by most) would likely represent a savings of a paltry $1 million or so against the cap.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: If not Bulger then who?

              i'm pretty much accepting that the year will go uncapped...i suppose that is a bit premature but chances are pretty good.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: If not Bulger then who?

                Originally posted by molar_pistol View Post
                i'm pretty much accepting that the year will go uncapped...i suppose that is a bit premature but chances are pretty good.
                So can we outbid someone for their services then? Assuming, again, they even listen to our offers?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: If not Bulger then who?

                  Originally posted by PeoriaRam View Post
                  If we have a cap, Garcia or Pennington (assuming they want to sign with us-an important consideration which gets overlooked by most) would likely represent a savings of a paltry $1 million or so against the cap.
                  Really? Are either of those guys even an upgrade over Bulger? Pennington has less of an arm then Bulger and is just as immobile. Pennington is also coming off of his 3rd surgury for the same shoulder.

                  Garcia didnt even play last year and is gonna be 40 years old. I don't see either of those guys being even remotely better than Bulger behind the same crappy o-line, and these young recievers.
                  Aim high Willis, Aim High!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: If not Bulger then who?

                    I like Charlie Frye as a dark horse contender. Tough, mobile, & if the well-zipped passes he threw during an injury-plagues cameo for The Raiders last year are anything to judge by, he now has a better arm than when he came into the league.And although he's been around for years, there's not a lot of wear on the tires. And he'll be dirt cheap.

                    You have to have seen the games to understand because the numbers don't look great -there were a number of rusty mistakes/INTs but he'd been riding the pine for a long time & didn't have much to work with in OAK.I don't think he ever got a real chance to prove himself anywhere after being unceremoniously dumped by The Browns; he got stuck behind Hasselbeck & JaMarcus. If Holmgren thought he might make a good WCO QB, I'm willing to listen.

                    If he stayed healthy, I think Bulger is the best talent/fit we could realistically get but MB staying healthy defies several years of history.$10 mill is a lot to pay for his R & R.

                    If MB agreed to a salary close to half of that, I'd say The Rams would be tempted to keep him. Familiarity with the system & the WRs is a big plus as well.
                    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-16-2010, 11:56 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: If not Bulger then who?

                      Take OJ and a 4 or 5 pick and trade for Jason Cambell. Shurmer can coach him up(used to be a QB coach), hes young and Shannahan says he likes Cambell but what else is he going to say in that situation.They pick Clausen ( new coach has to get his guy) we get our new QB and Suh, and Dahl can take over for OJ. OJ is a good player but Dahl was always around the ball.
                      Cambell is young, mobile and a strong arm, but needs coaching to fix holes in his game. Hes a Vick style player but has more to offer in my opinion.(upside I mean)
                      just a thought. . .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: If not Bulger then who?

                        Originally posted by dave626 View Post
                        Take OJ and a 4 or 5 pick and trade for Jason Cambell. Shurmer can coach him up(used to be a QB coach), hes young and Shannahan says he likes Cambell but what else is he going to say in that situation.They pick Clausen ( new coach has to get his guy) we get our new QB and Suh, and Dahl can take over for OJ. OJ is a good player but Dahl was always around the ball.
                        Cambell is young, mobile and a strong arm, but needs coaching to fix holes in his game. Hes a Vick style player but has more to offer in my opinion.(upside I mean)
                        just a thought. . .
                        I like the "outside the box' thinking with some thoughtful grounds to back it up but I think JC will be too expensive to be considered a stop gap guy. Be prepared to get gutted here for even suggesting we give up OJ & picks for him...lol...

                        And I think there are too many question marks about his fundamentals/intangibles to really want to pay him for the long term-carries the ball low resulting in a lot of fumbles , overall poor pocket presence, unreliable accuracy; all are problems that are very hard to coach out of a player at his stage and there's the smarts/leadership thing that surfaced in his spat with Portis recently.
                        Last edited by Azul e Oro; -01-16-2010, 12:50 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: If not Bulger then who?

                          Originally posted by FestusRam View Post
                          I know there are alot of fans out there that want to see Bulger go, but who will take his place?

                          I don't see any qb's in the draft that could do any better than Bulger has done with this receiving core.

                          The fact is he's been playing with very weak receivers if they can even stay healthy.

                          What qb do you see coming in an making any better throws than him.

                          I know he had some overthrown and under thrown balls this year but he is still very accurate at hitting open receivers. He also knows the offense well and looked like he was started to get in sync with some of the receivers before his and their injuries.

                          Im not trying to make this another Bulger thread but i'm just wondering who these people want if Bulger isnt here. I dont see many free agents doing better with this receivng core either.

                          If Vick comes to STL with his terrible passer rating all he will probably do is throw int's and scramble around alot. We have Jackson to do the running and Vick will just be terrible with these receivers.

                          I like these young receivers but they just need time to learn and Vick's passing game wont help them at all.
                          Personally, all I care about is the bottom line, and that's wins and losses.

                          It doesn't matter what great assets you think Marc Bulger has, or how great his passer rating might be if he had good healthy receivers. It's not about that for me, it's about wins and losses and over the last 3 years no starting QB has stunk more than Marc Bulger.

                          Therefore, it is time to move on from this guy. The only reason he even got the starting job is because Kurt Warner was not ready to return, and he was managing to win games with his limited ability.

                          At this point it doesn't matter who they bring in, I just KNOW, it is time to move on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: If not Bulger then who?

                            Originally posted by rammiser View Post
                            Really? Are either of those guys even an upgrade over Bulger? Pennington has less of an arm then Bulger and is just as immobile. Pennington is also coming off of his 3rd surgury for the same shoulder.

                            Garcia didnt even play last year and is gonna be 40 years old. I don't see either of those guys being even remotely better than Bulger behind the same crappy o-line, and these young recievers.

                            You beat me to it. I think really our only option IF we don't retain Bulger, is to look to the draft. Especially with an uncapped year, the free agent QB selection isn't going to provide a better option. We will have the money to keep Bulger and rebuild our team.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: If not Bulger then who?

                              ABB. Anybody but Bulger.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Round Two: The Future Of Marc Bulger
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                01.13.2010 1:40 pm
                                The future of Marc Bulger
                                By Roger Hensley


                                THE WATERCOOLER

                                QUESTION: There’s been much speculation on the future of Rams’ QB Marc Bulger: Will he retire? Be cut? Be traded? Or will he remain as the Rams QB for another season as a young QB is mentored. Do you believe Bulger will be under center for the Rams when they open next season?

                                JIM THOMAS
                                I still think it’s better than 50-50 that Bulger will not be back. And if he’s traded to a non-contending team he may pull a Jake Plummer and just retire. But in order to dispose of Bulger, the Rams need two quarterbacks — a veteran and a draft pick. How they fare on those two fronts over the next three months might have a lot to do with whether Bulger returns to St. Louis in 2010.

                                BERNIE MIKLASZ
                                I can’t say ‘Impossible’ but I doubt very much that we’ll see him QB the Rams in 2010. Bulger has taken a brutal beating on this job over the years and cannot stay healthy. The team is 5-31 with him as a starting quarterback over the last three seasons — though certainly there is plenty of blame to go around for that hideous record, and Bulger is only one piece of the team. But his play has declined, and his injury issues will only create more instability at a crucial position. Nothing personal, but at this point it is just best for Bulger and the Rams to move on.

                                BILL COATS
                                My guess is that he’ll be with the Rams next season, in some capacity. And that could well be as the No. 1 quarterback. What’s the alternative? There doesn’t appear to be a “franchise quarterback” available in the draft or free agency, and a trade would cost the Rams dearly as they try to rebuild in several areas. Neither Kyle Boller, who almost surely won’t be back anyway, nor rookie Keith Null showed that they are a better option than Bulger at this point.

                                JEFF GORDON
                                I believe Marc would be a better stopgap quarterback than almost any veteran the Rams could round up without sacrificing assets. But . . . given all that Marc and the team has been through the past three years, I can understand why the Rams would want to do something different just to do something different. One by one, veterans who have failed have moved on. Why could Marc be the one exception to that trend?
                                -01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
                              • Guest's Avatar
                                Bulger or Bust?
                                by Guest
                                Let me start off from a quote from VegasRam which is truely factual:

                                "We yap and yap and yap about all our other problems, and while that's valid, it's amazing how a good QB reduces their significance. Look at the Packers the other nite. Played like crap, (175 yards in penalties alone), but won with what I consider an excellent QB, against a good D.

                                I like Bulger a lot, and think he's a good QB. Make that was. He flat doesn't have it anymore for whatever reason - mental and/or physical.

                                The Colts floundered for years, until guess what? Same with Dallas. Same with Arizona. Same with Pittsburgh. Same with the Saints. Same with the Giants. Same with the Chargers. Same with Seattle. Same with the Pats. Same with Denver in reverse.

                                It starts and ends with the QB, and we need one NOW!"


                                Now i know some of you are absolute Bulger fans and would love to sniff his Jock if he gave you the chance (not naming any names ;-) But it seems like some of you are so blindly following him that it doesn't matter how or what he does you support him and anybody else who doesn't support him you get mad at them and have a two year old fit. Others of you will say this topic has been beat to death, thanks for your opinion then don't comment on this thread there are others who want our voices heard....

                                This is exactly how I feel about Bulger which is a good quote "I think Bulger is a good guy and he puts up a lot of effort and he plays hurt, but he also misses easy throws and does not seem motivated to move the chains at times. I like seeing other QBs in there right now, just for a change."

                                I like Bulger personally and he had some great seasons with us but whether it is Physical or Mental/Confidence problems he has now I don't think he can get the job done for us anymore as a starter.He has taking a hell of a beating the last couple of years from our crappy line and He's kinda like a boxer who gets knocked out and rocked for the first time and is never the same again like he was in his prime. We have about one more yea rleft maybe with Bulger as our QB and I'd like to see him mentor a QB we get in the draft for a year before he leaves and I don't think it makes much sense to get rid of him after this season with all the dead money that will be involved of just letting him go after the saeson but who knows..... ownership has gotten rid of all veterens on the team and he may be next...
                                -12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
                              • coy bacon
                                The Bulger Challenge
                                by coy bacon
                                On the con side are is locking onto targets and just not looking good.
                                On the pro side are his winning record and PB performance.

                                I'm sure there are more that people can add to each side.

                                I noted on the other board that some who expressed doubts about Bulger were called "cowards".

                                I have doubts about Bulger. I watched him play and he didn't look like a confident QB. And it was painfully obvious that he was locking onto targets. I wondered why other team's DBs didn't pick more off. If a mere amatuer like myself can see poor QB play, surely another teams DC can as well and instruct his players accordingly.

                                OTOH, Bulger has been a proven winner. A mediocre QB like Brad (?) Johnson won a ring with Tampa Bay, so surely Bulger can do so as well.

                                I think it is fine to have doubts about Bulger. Who says he can't improve? He certainly deserves a chance, and in the end, the bottom line is that he's won more than he's lost. He just didn't look very good doing it.
                                -07-01-2004, 08:22 AM
                              • THOLTFAN81
                                One Sportswriter's Opinion on Bulger
                                by THOLTFAN81
                                Per rotoworld:...
                                -11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
                              • RamsFanThruItAll!!!
                                Bulger to blame for everything???
                                by RamsFanThruItAll!!!
                                Since the Rams have been on the downfall the past couple of years ive seen that the scapegoat since then has been Bulger. IMO a very small amount of it is his fault. I mean when hes got a decent line and a good recieving core, hes a pro bowler and thats a fact.

                                Another thing thats obvious is the last couple years hes had terrible recieving cores and even worse o-lines. The defense hasnt helped much either. Im just tired of every clueless fan who has no idea about football complaining that its all bulgers fault. I think if you put him on good team in the NFL he would still be a pro bowler. I know hes not good at scrambling but we didnt get him to scramble. We got him to sit in the pocket and make good throws(Which he stills does today when his terrible WR's get open every once in awhile).

                                Picking up a First Round QB is just plain stupid but most fans seem to think thats exactly what we should do. Its Not. No rookies going to come in and make passes to these mediocre recievers that Bulger cant. Im just wondering if anyone else agrees with me.
                                -11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
                              Working...
                              X