Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Rams in need of a WRs coach now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Rams in need of a WRs coach now?

If so...........Isaac Bruce!
    Semper Fi!

Re: Are the Rams in need of a WRs coach now?

Okay, really burning up the Clan with this tread.

Well, so what. Apparently some others are thinking like Richbert.

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/20/2010

With the departure of Charlie Baggett to the University of Tennessee, the Rams currently have an opening for a wide receivers coach on Steve Spagnuolo's staff.

Longtime Rams wide receiver great Isaac Bruce is interested in the possibility of filling that vacancy, if the feeling is mutual at Rams Park. Bruce is expected to retire after 16 seasons catching passes in the NFL, 14 of them with the Rams.

League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday that Bruce is willing to discuss the position with the Rams, assuming that there is genuine interest from the Rams in hiring him. Bruce has stated on several occasions his affection for the Rams' franchise and the city of St. Louis. He was genuinely touched by the scoreboard tribute to him played at the end of the Rams' season finale against San Francisco. His mother was even in attendance for the game, perhaps a telling sign that that was his last NFL game.

If Bruce were to work anywhere as a receivers coach, St. Louis would be the place, according to the sources. Naturally, he'd have to see if it were a good fit between himself, Spagnuolo, and the Rams' staff and front office. It's possible, too, that Spagnuolo might want an experienced coach to handle a young Rams receiver corps.

I really think this would be a fantastic thing for the young RAMs WRs. Not only has Bruce run great routes, showed great hands and lived as a consumate proffessional, these arae qualities he can teach and coach, on the field if necessary, even demonstrate if necessary, to help Robinson, Avery, Gibson, Foster & Burton reach their potential.

This, like picking Suh, is a nobrainer.
    Semper Fi!

Comment

Re: Are the Rams in need of a WRs coach now?

Agreed, and IMO there haven't been too many things that Rams fans have to complain about in regards to the rebuilding process. If Bruce has in fact asked if the desire is mutual, and the FO says no thanks, I believe that may be the first thing they do to raise some serious questions. I know I would be a bit concerned. I can't imagine a better WR coach that Bruce.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bralidore(RAMMODE)
        Bruce Interested In Receiver's Coach Position?
        by Bralidore(RAMMODE)
        Via Live chat with Rams Insider Jim Thomas on 101 ESPN's Fastlane, apparently Bruce has been asking the Rams if there was a mutual interest for Bruce to assume the role.

Bruce is set to announce whether he will remain or leave the ***** fairly soon; i think we all can agree he will most likely retire.

Bruce could bring an in-depth knowledge and player's perspective on a position that most Receiver's coaches could not. Bruce is known as intelligent and fairly well-spoken.
        -01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Bruce Stops By To Help Receivers
        by r8rh8rmike
        Bruce Stops By to Help Receivers

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
        Posted 2 hours ago

The sight was familiar to any Rams fan that’s come out to watch a training camp practice for most of the team’s tenure in St. Louis.

Following Monday’s extended, fully padded practice, there was that recognizable, chiseled frame going through the finer points of what it takes to be a wide receiver in the NFL.

But there was no jersey, no No. 80 to help you determine that yes; this was one of the greatest players in Rams history back on the practice field at the Russell Training Center for the first time since it has been called that.

So it was that Isaac Bruce, in his ever so understated and quiet manner, returned to St. Louis and on to the practice field where he honed his craft for the better part of one of the league’s most illustrious careers.

Except this time, he wasn’t working on his game. Rather, he was helping little-known receiver Joe West work on the finer points of playing receiver.

It’s all a part of Bruce’s retirement plan.

“I think a lot can be done (in a short time),” Bruce said. “We can just walk and talk, little walk throughs, tell guys what to expect, how to read a defense, stuff like that, just show them how to compete one on one.”

Since his retirement from football last summer, Bruce has been asked regularly about his desire to coach. He’s deflected those overtures, pointing to the long hours required to do the job and do it well.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said at the time that he wanted Bruce to be around the team as much as possible, acknowledging that a player with Bruce’s knowledge has a lot of wisdom to impart on young wideouts.

Bruce worked with the Bears for part of Chicago’s camp last year but Spagnuolo asked Bruce to find time this camp to make a visit to St. Louis.

“Isaac and I were talking the last couple of weeks,” Spagnuolo said. “I really appreciate him coming because he is a busy man. He’s got a busy schedule but he squeezed a couple of days in here. I love having Isaac around.”

Bruce arrived in St. Louis on Sunday night and attended team and position meetings at the team hotel.

During practice Monday afternoon, Bruce stuck by the receivers, offering advice when it was sought and helping receivers coach Nolan Cromwell where needed.

Throughout practice, various receivers sought advice from Bruce, such as Mardy Gilyard and he openly offered advice when he saw fit.

Between his stop in Chicago last year and now a small taste of coaching in St. Louis, Bruce says he has gotten a better idea of what the life of a coach is like. And it’s still not one he’s ready to take on full time.

“That still remains to be seen,” Bruce said. “I still have this time where I like to go home...
        -08-01-2011, 08:35 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Bruce, St. Louis Share Special Bond
        by r8rh8rmike
        Bruce, St. Louis Share Special Bond

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
        Posted Oct 27, 2010

The love affair between Isaac Bruce and St. Louis started nearly from the day the Rams arrived in the Gateway City.

In the 14 years that followed, that love only became more passionate, mutual and ultimately enduring.

“I felt like the city adopted me and drafted me into their family,” Bruce said. “I kind of did the same thing with them. I felt like I was home for the second time in my life. We kind of had that mesh. We meshed together early in that 1995 season and it only grew from there.”

On Sunday, that relationship becomes eternal when the Rams raise Bruce’s No. 80 jersey to the rafters of the Edward Jones Dome for reasons that go beyond his prodigious and prolific production on the football field.

See, the bond between Bruce and the city of St. Louis goes well beyond first downs, touchdown catches and even Super Bowl victories.

THE FIRST MEETING

The initial meeting between Bruce and St. Louis came in 1995, the first year the Rams played in the city after moving from Los Angeles.

Bruce was drafted by the Rams in 1994 and had spent one year with the team in Los Angeles. But Bruce knew, like many of his teammates, that a move was in the offing.

Even as a rookie, Bruce had prepared himself for a new start elsewhere. While Bruce felt bad for the diehard Rams fans that were still around in the team’s final days in Los Angeles, the move to St. Louis had him excited about the opportunities it could provide.

“I think when we first came to town in ’95; a lot of expectations were placed on us,” Bruce said. “Most of them were placed on us by ourselves. But just kind of knowing the history of the St. Louis Cardinals - the Big Red - that was there before we got there and football had gone away from that city for a long time so they were hungry. They were hungry for football and when we got there, it was a perfect match. It was our chance to stake our place and put roots down and we found what I believe was the perfect place.”

St. Louis had been without football since the Cardinals picked up and moved to Arizona after the 1987 season. In the eight years that followed, St. Louis had endured numerous misfires in attempts to draw an expansion team.

Football in the city was becoming a distant memory until team owner Georgia Frontiere teamed with local businessman Stan Kroenke and a host of others to build the Edward Jones Dome and bring the Rams to St. Louis.

Finally, on Sept. 3, 1995, the Rams made their debut under the St. Louis banner at Green Bay. In one of the world’s most famous football venues, Bruce announced his presence with a sequence so scintillating that Rams fans couldn’t help but feel like it was love at first sight.

In the second quarter...
        -10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
      • RamWraith
        Bruce wants an extension
        by RamWraith
        'Unbelievable' Bruce is still rolling along
        By Jim Thomas
        ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

His toe is hurting, his team is hurting, but Isaac Bruce's spirit remains unbowed. After 11 seasons in St. Louis, should we expect anything less from Bruce?

If he hasn't seen it all since the Rams' franchise moved here in 1995, Bruce has seen most of it. Highs, lows and in-betweens. Pro Bowls, Super Bowls, and 4-12. Coaches and players come and go.

For only the second time since 1998, Bruce won't be appearing in a playoff game this postseason. But he takes umbrage at the notion that there's nothing to play for in the final three games of the season.

"I've got a lot to play for," Bruce said. "And this team has a lot to play for. So we don't look at it like that.
        "It's always about being a professional. Just because we're mathematically out of it, you just don't go and say, 'OK, I'm going to box it up right now.'"

This hasn't been the easiest season for Bruce to do his job, in large part because of a painful turf-toe injury he suffered Sept. 25 against Tennessee. Bruce missed the next five games, returning after the bye week to play at Seattle on Nov. 13.

Since then, he has caught 18 passes for 292 yards and two touchdowns. Even with the injury, Bruce can still get down field, as evidenced by his 16.2 yards per catch over the past five games. But there's no doubt the toe still is bothering him. Dislocated toes can take forever to heal properly.

Bruce doesn't like talking about injuries. It's almost as if he's denying their existence - at least in his mind - by doing so. So when asked Wednesday if the toe injury was behind him, the answer was typical Bruce: "When I get out on the field, I put it behind me."

Bruce's name hasn't appeared on the injury report for weeks now, but the toe isn't 100 percent. Interim head coach Joe Vitt concedes as much when he says Bruce "is playing a little dinged right now, and that's a credit to him."

Dinged or not, Bruce seems to set another career milestone every time he steps on the field these days. Last week against Minnesota, Bruce moved into 10th place on the NFL's career receiving list with 12,181 yards. He's the only active player on the list, although Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison (12,177) and Jacksonville's Jimmy Smith (12,100) are nipping at his heels.

On Sunday against the Vikings, Bruce also became the 14th player in NFL history with 800 receptions. Among active players, only Harrison (917), Smith (847) and San Diego's Keenan McCardell (810) are ahead of Bruce's 804 catches.

For those who think Bruce is ready to be put out to pasture at age 33, here's some food for thought. He is more than three years younger than Smith; nearly three years younger than McCardell; and nearly three months younger...
        -12-15-2005, 05:22 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Isaac Bruce's No. 80 Is A Number For The Ages
        by r8rh8rmike
        Isaac Bruce's No. 80 is a number for the ages

BY JIM THOMAS
        Friday, October 29, 2010

As the Rams gathered in July 1994 for what would be their last training camp as the Los Angeles Rams, all the rookies were shoved into a back room. They dressed separate from the vets at the University of California-Irvine.

Some were talkers. Some were jokesters. Some were quiet — and none more so than the skinny-legged wide receiver from Memphis State, Isaac Bruce.

"You could tell he meant business," said D'Marco Farr, then an undrafted rookie. "He wasn't there to make friends. He was there to practice and get better and make this football team. You could tell that from day one."

Bruce made the team, and didn't stop there. He became one of the greatest Rams ever. Such lofty status becomes official — and immortalized — Sunday when Bruce's jersey No. 80 is retired in a pregame ceremony at the Edward Jones Dome.

"I've had the fortunate chance to see other great players, not only in football but in other sports have their numbers retired," Bruce said. "You're pretty much ingrained into an organization once you're drafted or you sign with that team. But to have that organization retire your number? This happens to people like Jackie Robinson and other great players."

And it's happening to Bruce.

"We'll have a great time celebrating it," Bruce said. "I'm just honored. All I've been thinking about is that when you honor father God, he honors you. That's all that just keeps pouring in my mind. He's honoring me, because I honor him."

For Bruce, it promises to be a hectic yet memorable weekend of fun and catching up with friends and teammates. On Thursday night, he was guest of honor at a dinner for Rams sponsors. Tonight, he hosts the Celebrate 80 event at Lumiere Place to benefit the Isaac Bruce Foundation. The event is sold out. On Saturday, he's scheduled to speak to the Rams squad and has been diligently working on his speech.

Martz, Vermeil & more

The jersey retirement ceremony begins at 11:35 a.m. Sunday, or 25 minutes before kickoff for the Rams' contest against Carolina. Former Rams coach Mike Martz, now offensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears, is scheduled to introduce Bruce. (Martz is able to attend only because the Bears are in their bye week.)

"It's only right," Bruce said. "That's all I can say about it. It's only right. You know, Mike's been there with me from day one. He was one of the guys that was very important in my career.

"I think we developed a bond. He was always honest with me, and I was always honest with him. And it worked out well. I'm honored that he could come into town and be a part of this."

Another of Bruce's former head coaches, Dick...
        -10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
      Working...
      X