A conversation with Orlando Pace--NFL.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A conversation with Orlando Pace--NFL.com

The St. Louis Rams gained the nickname the "Greatest Show On Turf" by throwing the ball up and down the field, but it's the balanced rushing attack that the Rams used in a Week 4 win over the San Francisco ***** that gets Orlando Pace and the offensive line excited. In an interview on Rams cam with NFL Total Access host Derrin Horton and analyst Lincoln Kennedy, Pace discusses the Rams' game plan and looks ahead at his team's big division game against the Seahawks. NFL Total Access airs Monday through Saturday at 7 p.m. ET (aired Oct. 7, 2004).

Derrin Horton: It's time now to fire up Rams cam where we find a former Heisman candidate and five-time Pro Bowler Orlando Pace. How are you doing, Orlando?

Orlando Pace: I'm good. How are you all doing out there?

Horton: We're doing well. Let's jump right into it. You guys have a big game this week in Seattle. They feel like they've got a lot of momentum. They feel like they want to take what was yours. Are you guys excited about this game?

Pace: Oh, we are man. We know they're at the top of the division right now and they're playing well and they're playing well at home. So we have to go out there and play the same style of football that we played last weekend against the *****. We've got to out and run the ball effectively and pass the ball effectively, and if we do that I like our outcome.

Lincoln Kennedy: I noticed in that ***** game you guys ran a lot of the unbalance where you flop sides and go over to the right side. How do you feel about that running style and that placement of plays?

Pace: You know it doesn't matter to me as long as we get a chance. When we're in that balance, we run the ball pretty effectively and it gives the defense something else to prepare for during the week. We've had success with it over the years and I think we're going to continue to do it.

Kennedy: So is it safe to say that you prefer running the ball over passing the ball?

Pace: Oh, come on, Big Linc. I think every offensive lineman loves running the ball over passing the ball, because it's the feeling of just getting into a guy and opening up some holes for a running back.

Horton: Absolutely. So tell me, now you're going up against one of your former teammates in Grant Wistrom. You played with him for six years at the Rams. I know you guys had some unique battles back in the day during practice. Are you looking forward to this battle this weekend against him?

Pace: Yes I am. I've been practicing against him for the past six years and during those six years we made each other better. We worked hard in practice every day so I'm sure it will be a good matchup on Sunday.

Horton: A couple of years ago you guys had a mystique about you -- Greatest Show On Turf. It seems like you're a little vulnerable these days and teams are feeling like they have a chance against you. Are you guys eager to show everybody, this is going to be a big game against Seattle, are you eager to show everyone that you guys still have it?

Pace: Oh yes, definitely. I mean, we never lost it man. We've got some new guys in here and we're trying to jell and to get a win against Seattle would be huge for us. It would be huge for our organization and hopefully that will propel us throughout the season.

Horton: Tell us about the offensive line. Your boy Kyle Turley goes down, how have you guys been able to mend up without him?

Pace: I think Grant Williams has stepped up well for him. We hate to lose a guy like Kyle who was a good force for us on our offensive line but we've got Grant Williams who has stepped in. He's playing well.

Horton: Have you followed Kurt Warner and what he's been doing in New York? Are you surprised that he's bounced back the way that he has?

Pace: I know Kurt is a competitor. Kurt has done well and I wish him the best out there. He's a guy we've won championships with here. We hate to see that guy go, but he's doing well and I'm happy to see that for Kurt out there.

Horton: Give us a scouting report around the NFL. Let's widen the scope here. A lot of people are really high on this Atlanta Falcons team. I know they had a couple of sacks against you and when I saw that I said, "Wait a minute, this defense might be for real." Do you think they are legit?

Pace: I think they play hard. I think their defense is vastly improved from last year when we played those guys. Those guys are just big effort guys. They run to the ball and with Michael Vick on the other side, that makes it tough.

Horton: Well, thanks a lot Orlando. Good luck on your game this week against the Seahawks. I'm sure you guys are going to bounce back and show everybody what you're all about.

Pace: Okay and thanks for having me.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Yodude
    Since someone asked......
    by Yodude
    A conversation with Orlando Pace

The St. Louis Rams gained the nickname the "Greatest Show On Turf" by throwing the ball up and down the field, but it's the balanced rushing attack that the Rams used in a Week 4 win over the San Francisco ***** that gets Orlando Pace and the offensive line excited. In an interview on Rams cam with NFL Total Access host Derrin Horton and analyst Lincoln Kennedy, Pace discusses the Rams' game plan and looks ahead at his team's big division game against the Seahawks. NFL Total Access airs Monday through Saturday at 7 p.m. ET (aired Oct. 7, 2004).

Derrin Horton: It's time now to fire up Rams cam where we find a former Heisman candidate and five-time Pro Bowler Orlando Pace. How are you doing, Orlando?

Orlando Pace: I'm good. How are you all doing out there?

Horton: We're doing well. Let's jump right into it. You guys have a big game this week in Seattle. They feel like they've got a lot of momentum. They feel like they want to take what was yours. Are you guys excited about this game?

Pace: Oh, we are man. We know they're at the top of the division right now and they're playing well and they're playing well at home. So we have to go out there and play the same style of football that we played last weekend against the *****. We've got to out and run the ball effectively and pass the ball effectively, and if we do that I like our outcome.

Lincoln Kennedy: I noticed in that ***** game you guys ran a lot of the unbalance where you flop sides and go over to the right side. How do you feel about that running style and that placement of plays?

Pace: You know it doesn't matter to me as long as we get a chance. When we're in that balance, we run the ball pretty effectively and it gives the defense something else to prepare for during the week. We've had success with it over the years and I think we're going to continue to do it.

Kennedy: So is it safe to say that you prefer running the ball over passing the ball?

Pace: Oh, come on, Big Linc. I think every offensive lineman loves running the ball over passing the ball, because it's the feeling of just getting into a guy and opening up some holes for a running back.

Horton: Absolutely. So tell me, now you're going up against one of your former teammates in Grant Wistrom. You played with him for six years at the Rams. I know you guys had some unique battles back in the day during practice. Are you looking forward to this battle this weekend against him?

Pace: Yes I am. I've been practicing against him for the past six years and during those six years we made each other better. We worked hard in practice every day so I'm sure it will be a good matchup on Sunday.

Horton: A couple of years ago you guys had a mystique about you -- Greatest Show On Turf. It seems like you're...
    -10-08-2004, 02:46 PM
  • RamFan_Til_I_Die
    Pace wants to go out on his own terms
    by RamFan_Til_I_Die
    Pace wants to go out on his own terms

Left tackle has been hindered by injuries for last two seasons

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

MEQUON, Wis. --St. Louis Rams left tackle Orlando Pace could have walked away from football after suffering two serious injuries over the past two seasons.

He is financially secure, and his legacy in the NFL is already assured with seven straight Pro Bowl appearances, two Super Bowl appearances and one NFL championship in 11 seasons.

So why did Pace, 32, return for his 12th season in the NFL?

"I want to be able to walk off the field on my own terms and not with a doctor by my side," Pace said.

When Pace came off the field holding his arm against his side late in the first half of the season-opener against Carolina Panthers last season, it was a deflating moment for the Rams' entire team.

"Left tackles are hard to come by, and he's one of the best of all time," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "It's hard to come by guys like that, and you miss them when they are gone. You can't really replace them."

Pace missed the rest of the 2008 season as he underwent surgery for a torn labrum in his shoulder. He'd missed the final eight games of the 2007 season because of a torn triceps muscle in his arm.

"There is luck involved in this game, and Orlando has had bad luck the last two years," Linehan said. "Generally, luck doesn't stay bad. I think he's really worked hard getting himself in the best shape that he has been in for a long time. You can worry all day about injures and things happening in games, but you just have to think positive and know we have better days ahead."

Pace has been cleared medically to practice, but the Rams are being cautious about bringing him up to full speed in training camp. He hasn't taken part in any one-on-one blocking drills.

"I knew they were going to work me in slow, so this is what I expected," Pace said. "I'm getting used to tackling and hitting again, getting my body ready."

Pace said he's still learning to trust that his surgically repaired shoulder will hold up.

"The tough thing about practicing now is mentally being willing to throw my arm in the there and use it without even thinking about it," Pace said.

Just having Pace on the practice field has been uplifting for his teammates.

"Physically, it is kind of self-explanatory," Rams center Brett Romberg said of the impact of having Pace back at left tackle. "But, when you are a defensive end on the other side of the ball who is going to go against a legend like Orlando, it's a little more mental work.

"Whether Orlando is a 100 percent or 80 percent, he is going impose some kind of...
    -07-28-2008, 11:02 AM
  • Nick
    Summary of Orlando Pace Interview on Sirius Radio
    by Nick
    First of all, I know the Postons are known for hiring guys that aren't exactly the sharpest knife in the shed, and I'm not sure what his Wonderlic was, but Pace sounded very VERY intelligent in the interview. Didn't fumble for words, answered questions very professionally. He surprised me, that's for sure.

Anyways, some tidbits...

-Orlando Pace said the Rams were in a situation where they had to pass against the Pats and it didn't work out. Said they wanted to take advantage of a weakened secondary.

-He hopes the Rams can get a chance to run the ball this week.

-Pace didn't notice that Troy Brown was in the secondary because he was focused on the line, but said Martz wanted to attack them, but the Pats were prepared and ready.

-They have to get Steven the ball more, and said he thinks Martz will get him the ball. Said he ran the ball well in practice.

-Pace says that the offense needs a complete game with no hiccups on offense, and they need to be able to run the ball to be effective and put points on the board. Said he thinks Seattle will be fired up and give them a full game. The division is on the line and he thinks they'll play hard.

-Orlando is again asked about the run, and says when they run effectively, it opens things up for the offense.

-Pace said that the Rams will be prepared. They got back to the basics this week after two performances that weren't good the last two weeks. Says we need the tiebreaker and they've prepared hard for Seattle this week.

-He said that they stressed the importance of the game to the younger players because of the playoff implications but also because of their last two losses.

-Pace said that you never know who wins and loses going down the road, but they understand that each game from here on is an important game if they want to make the playoffs. They have to be focused week in and week out if they want to make it happen.

-When asked about everyone picking Seattle in August to win the West, Pace said the team felt they were under the radar, which they like because they like to come up and beat the people getting hype.

-Pace said regarding the soft nature of the defense that they did live drills this week and the defense understands that they have to play better.

-He said that they need to be aware of the Seahawk defense and how hard they play. Said he didn't know if Wistrom was playing, but they'll give you a lot of effort and will make plays. Says that he likes the match-up between the Rams WRs against the Seattle secondary and feels they can take advantage of them.

-Adam Shine and Pat Kerwin kept joking with Pace about having him on tape saying the Rams need to establish the run. Pace cracks up.
    -11-11-2004, 02:49 PM
  • RamWraith
    Pace dismisses retirement talk
    by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Friday, Oct. 26 2007

Is he retiring? Everybody in his family has asked. Several of his friends, too.

It's a fair enough question. Orlando Pace has been in the NFL for 11 seasons.
    He turns 32 on Nov. 4. But now he has suffered season-ending injuries two years
    in a row.

So ... ?

"I'm going to come back and play," Pace told the Post-Dispatch. "I will play.
    Initially, (retirement) crosses your mind. You think, 'Man, I can't go through
    another year like this.'"

But like many players, Pace wants to leave the game on his own terms. In fact,
    he's adamant about it.

"I have a lot of pride in wanting to do that," Pace said. "I've done a lot of
    good things in the league, and I want to continue to do more. I don't want to
    have an injury force me out, or somebody else telling me: 'You can't play
    anymore.'

"So that's the one thing that really drives me, and that's going to drive me to
    play another couple years, hopefully."

Following this season, Pace will have four years remaining on a seven-year,
    $52.9 million deal he signed in March 2005. Starting with the 1999 season, Pace
    was selected to seven straight Pro Bowls. But the trips to Hawaii came to an
    abrupt halt last season for the former No. 1 overall draft pick from Ohio State.

A torn left triceps injury against Seattle on Nov. 12 ended Pace's 2006 season.
    He was punching out with his left arm, blocking former Rams teammate Grant
    Wistrom, when that injury occurred.

The nightmare was revisited last month on another innocent-looking play in the
    Rams' opener against Carolina. Late in the first half, Panthers defensive
    tackle Kris Jenkins came at him on a running play. Pace thought the Panthers'
    Mike Rucker was going to loop around to the inside, but that never happened.

"So I kind of just stuck my (right) hand out on Jenkins," Pace recalled. "I
    don't even think I hit Kris that hard. It was one of those freak things."

Pace felt his right shoulder pop. He thought it was dislocated. At worst, he'd
    miss a week or two, get fitted for a brace and return to action. Or so Pace
    thought.

"But once they got the MRI back, it was bad," Pace said.

He had suffered a torn rotator cuff and a torn labrum in the shoulder. His
    season was over even as it had barely gotten started, and Pace would need
    surgery.

"I was really excited about playing," Pace said. "I remember the night before
    the (Carolina) game, just being happy to be back out there. And then that
    happens. It's almost like your world is crushed a...
    -10-26-2007, 06:09 AM
  • RamWraith
    Caution is word for Pace
    by RamWraith
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, May. 22 2007

Perhaps no one took it harder last season when injury struck down Rams left
    tackle Orlando Pace than he and wife Carla's four children. Not that they were
    worried so much about Dad; it was the loss of their annual Hawaiian vacation
    that saddened young Justin, Jalen, Landon and Kendall.

"Yeah, my kids were a little upset about that. I missed it, too," Pace said,
    smiling. "Hopefully we can get back and make that trip again."

Pace had spent part of the last seven Februarys in Honolulu, site of the Pro
    Bowl. But his reign as an NFL all-star was ripped away Nov. 12 in Seattle when
    the triceps muscle was ripped away from the bone in his upper left arm.

He was hurt taking on defensive end Grant Wistrom, a former Rams teammate, on a
    routine pass-blocking play. Five days later, Pace underwent surgery, and he
    spent the next two months with his arm encased in a bulky brace.

Pace is taking it slowly during spring workouts, participating in walk-through
    drills but avoiding contact. He said the doctors have told him that he should
    be 100 percent by the time training camp begins in late July.

"This is kind of uncharted territory for me, and it's difficult," Pace said.
    "They just told me to be patient, be smart about it."

The No. 1 overall selection in the 1997 draft, Pace never missed a game because
    of injury at Ohio State and had sat out just seven times since becoming the
    Rams' full-time starter in '98. The longest he'd been out was three games.

Spending the final seven games on the sideline last year hurt almost as much as
    the painful rehab that Pace has endured the last few months.

"That's probably the first time in my life somebody's telling you you're not
    well enough to play football," said Pace, who turned 31 two days after he was
    injured. "It was just hard going to the games and watching ... really rough."

The Rams dropped three of their next four games following Pace's injury, but
    closed with victories over Oakland, Washington and Minnesota to wind up 8-8.
    Todd Steussie finished the season at left tackle, and with veterans Andy
    McCollum (knee) and Adam Timmerman (ribs) also out, youngsters Mark
    Setterstrom, Brett Romberg, Richie Incognito and Alex Barron filled out the
    rest of the offensive line.

Pace said their impressive play had re-energized him.

"I think the most exciting part about having those young guys step up like that
    is that it builds depth on our offensive line," he said. "The coaches trust
    those guys because they have game experience....
    -05-22-2007, 04:23 AM
Working...
X