Letting Atogwe Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting Atogwe Walk

I just read a small clip from Mike Sando saying that the Rams wouldn't be willing to pay Atogwe elite money and therefore let him walk into free agency. My question is what is the advantage of doing that? Statistically he's been one of the best FSs in the NFL the past few years. I'm not saying break the bank and pay him the biggest FS contract ever, but we have the cap space, why not pay a man who has busted his butt for this team and has been a great playmaker for us?

Re: Letting Atogwe Walk

First of all, this was not a news report by Sando, but rather was just an opinion. Here's what he said:

Matt (Reno): Are the Rams going to let Atogwe walk, and is there any chance the Niners get him?

Mike Sando: The Rams probably will not pay elite money to Oshiomogho Atogwe. They will not pretend he is Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, in other words. And I don't think they would consider franchising him again. So, yes, Atogwe could find his way on to the market. The ***** could be a fit because of Atogwe's relationship with Mike Singletary's daughter, but it seems to me as though San Francisco really needs a strong safety.
    I agree with Sando that the Rams probably don't wish to franchise Atogwe again, but that does not mean that they can't sign him to a reasonable contract that is consistent with his level of peformance.

I would be very surprised if the Rams don't make a significant effort to retain Atogwe.

Comment

Given the amount of money we saved with our guerilla hack n' slash campaign last year it'd be crazy not to bring this guy back. Regardless of the asking price, he's a playmaker and I believe Devaney said we're looking for playmakers this year.

Comment

As a team that is in desperate need of talent, I'd really hate to see them let a solid starter walk. Hopefully he doesn't have an inflated opinion of himself and thinks he deserves top safety money.

Avenger, you said you don't think the Rams will want to franchise him again. What about the Transition tag? Since its less money than the Franchise, and FS's do make too much money as it is, so you think they'd be more inclined to use it if they can't get a deal done?

Comment

If the Rams let OJ go, it will be very, very disheartening. Pay the man!

Comment

Losing a playmaker and creating yet another hole to fill would be a big step backward, hopefully something can be worked out. That said, it's not worth breaking the bank for Atogwe.

Comment

Atogwe is a ball-hawk who is among the top 10 safeties in the league. You have Ed Reed no question, Kerry Rhodes, Chris Hope, Bob Sanders (although that's extremely debatable as the guy is never on the field), Troy Polomalu, Brian Dawkins (I think Atogwe is better than him actually) and Adrian Wilson who may be a harder hitter and better tackler, doesn't do as much as Atogwe does. Id say Atogwe is the 6th best safety in the league.

Comment

i see everyone mentioning the fact that he's a playmaker. lets not ignore, and hopefully the Rams won't ignore it, that he's also a real leader of the secondary. when he didn't balk at the Franchise Tag and played hard even without that "security blanket" of guaranteed money... he really helped promote Spags desire for a team first mentality.

i doubt they let him walk. i'd lose a lot of the newly built up respect i have in the Rams FO.

Comment

I would be surprised if we make any long term big money financial commitments at this stage of the sale process, especially to a guy coming off of IR. This is one of the reasons that it stinks when a sale process drags on. Why should chip pay a huge signing bonus so that the new owner can benefit? The cash will be gone from his pocket and he wont get a corresponding benefit.

OJ is a good player. He is not a franchise player. Said another way, i dont think the rams are going to sell materially more or less season tix or luxury boxes whether he comes back or not. Or, one other perspective, how much worse can we do without him and how many more games are we going to win with him.

Personally, i think he should be part of the long term solution if we can get a reasonable deal with him. However, given the nature of the sale process, i wont be surprise if we lose him completely.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I specifically did not purchase an OJ jersey this year for this reason. The curse continues. Every players Jersey I buy or it seems even think about buying moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by itsguud View Post
                      I specifically did not purchase an OJ jersey this year for this reason. The curse continues. Every players Jersey I buy or it seems even think about buying moves on.
                      Don't buy anymore jerseys!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                        Don't buy anymore jerseys!
                        Wrong! Buy an Alex Barron jersey!

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRam View Post
                          Wrong! Buy an Alex Barron jersey!
                          Now THAT'S funny!

Comment

don't forget he's the one who kept us in that saints game. He's worth too much to this franchise to let him go.

Comment

Our secondary will be in trouble if we let this guy go.

Comment

Working...
                              X