Rams @ Hawks..Through My Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams @ Hawks..Through My Eyes

I gotta tell ya, this game will be exciting, as have pretty much every past meeting between these two teams. Last years games were all out thrillers, both very close, undecided until the very end. This one and probably the next in your house will be the same.

Looking at last years games, either team could have won or lost both games. In Seattle, had the Rams not been called for defensive holding on that last drive, who knows if the Hawks would have scored to win. In St. Louis, if that ref didn't take Bobby E out on that play, who knows if he wouldn't have scored. I hate it when refs decide the outcome by the way...both games had defining plays defined by the stripes.

Back to this game...The way I see it.

The Rams need to change their defense up...allot. Show as many different looks as you can, blitz as much as humanly possible. Holmie doesn't seem to react very well, play-calling wise, when things are happening that he does not expect. A great example of this was the Tampa game. Holmie had to game plan for their defensive speed, but I think the amount of blitzing surprised him. The lack of ability to change the game plan due to what the defense was doing is a cause for concern. Holmie stuck to it, either through an inability to adapt to what was happening or a reluctance to stray from what he "knew" would work. The result was the worst offensive showing in the past three years. Moving around Little like you did last week is a good example something that I feel will cause the offense trouble.

Offensively, you guys are still very tough. You can never discount your playmakers on any play. While I sometimes question the split-second decisions Bulger makes, he still has the skills and the smarts to hurt any defense. Our D needs to play fast, as fast as they did against the Saints and SF. The D line can't give Bulger any time, they need to harass him all day. They have the ability to do so, but while your O line is not what it was, they are still good enough to make this task difficult. We need Simmons to shadow Faulk in everything he does, we can't let you get anything going on the ground. Another concern is the LB's ability to cover your TE's, this could be pivotal. There will be a give and take in regards to the WR - DB match ups, I think we see big plays by both sides.

I feel this will be a shoot-out guys, maybe even down to the last team who has the ball winning the game. The Hawk (I'll never call it qwest field) is different place since the last time you were here, but considering how wishy-washy Seattle fans can be, a few big plays to start the game could take the wind right out of them.

There is allot about this game to be concerned about, but one thing is for sure...it will be exciting.

Just Win Blue.
    Raptor aka Blitzfan
    Last edited by Raptor; -10-09-2004, 02:09 PM.

Related Topics

Collapse

• bela
    If I were a Rams fanÖ
    by bela
    Iíd really be trying to force myself to stay positive. Thereís a lot to be happy about if you wear blue and gold. A Ramsí team in the process of rebuilding took the defending NFC champs to the wire. Not too shabby - thereís a lot to look forward to.

Iím glad the Seahawks came away with the W, but itís certainly not a victory to gloat about. That game literally could have gone either way. Thus, youíll find no gloating in this post.

Well, no gloating about the Hawks. I will gloat a tiny bit about my predictions. If you remember I predicted the Rams finishing the game minus in turnovers, a Seahawks vicTorry but the Rams covering. Not too shabby, thanks for the C-note bodog.

I have dozens of criticisms for my team, but I assume you arenít interested and I wonít address those here. Instead, Iíll post my honest non-homer opinion of the current state of the Rams team.

Offense

I really do not care for Marc Bulger. I absolutely despise the calm, accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense. Despite my unjustified dislike for him, when heís healthy heís as good as anyone in the NFC. And now that youíve removed the Martz influence and we canít count on 2+ INTs per game he is even more scary.

But what do you say about Torry Holt? I am a diehard fan of your teamís primary rival. I seriously hate the Rams. Really, I am not exaggerating when I say that Ė I even have a little Ram voodoo doll that I do unspeakable things to.

I have no problems hating Marc Bulger, and I canít stand Bruce since the infamous helmet incident. But no matter how hard I try, despite all the punishment heís inflicted on my team, I cannot make myself stop liking Torry Holt.

In an era of prima dona receivers, all Torry Holt does is show up and work hard, make unbelievable catches and help his team win Ė and, he does it as well as anyone in the league. I honestly do not understand why the guy doesnít get the recognition he deserves. T.O.? Chad Johnson? Steve Smith? Iíd take Holt on my team over any of those guys any day.

Jackson is going to be a force for years. Once some of the offensive line issues get worked out (whatís up with Pace?) the Ram offense is looking like one of the best in the league.

Defense

I am going to be brutally frank here. While the Ram offense is championship caliber, the defense just isnít there yet. Make no mistake, you went up against exactly the same offense that was embarrassed in Chicago.

When I learned that Stevens was a late scratch I thought weíd lose for sure. In our offense, the TE is the primary out receiver (since Shaun canít catch). Itís how we deal with the blitz. With Hasletís love for the blitz and I thought itíd be a long day for Hass. Add in the horrible play by the Seahawk offensive line, and Mo...
    -10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
  • RamWraith
    Bulger and Jackons quotes November 14
    by RamWraith
    QB Marc Bulger

November 14, 2007

(On the improved performance of the offense in the last two games)

ďIíd say a big part of that is Steven (Jackson). You canít ignore the fact that when heís in there good things happen. He just brings that energy we need in the huddle and if we can keep him healthy I think weíll continue to get better and score more points.Ē

(On being more in sync with his receivers against New Orleans than any other game this year)

ďI think just having that extra second to let them get open. Those guys know when Iím getting hit early that they have to break their routes off short and our timing gets off, but when they know Iím getting time and the lineís going, they can get that extra move and know that I can hold it and they can get that separation. Thereís definitely more separation this week than in the past and I think thatís because of the line giving me more time.Ē

(On WR Drew Bennett)

ďHis health is good Ė that helps. We worked on that play in the end zone. We didnít hook up earlier in the year. I threw an interception because I donít think we were on the same page. We made a conscious effort to work on that. We got the matchup we wanted and it was just nice that we practiced it while the defense was going last week and it paid off. He did a good job on some deep routes, too, so if we can keep getting him going itíll take some pressure off of Ike (Isaac Bruce) and Torry (Holt), too.Ē

(On the ***** pass rush)

ďItís a 3-4, which is a little different. They do like to blitz the inside guys a lot. I just donít think we played well up front last time. I think would tell you that. We did get some big plays and threw for a lot of yards, but it was at the expense of getting me killed. We just have to do a better job up front of establishing a running game, which will help. I think our defense is playing better. If they can give us some good field position, that will help. If we play from behind, that hurts, too.Ē

(On being named NFC Offensive Player of the Week)

ďWhen youíre a quarterback and you get it, itís a whole offensive award. When receivers get it or a running backs gets it, itís an individual thing. Itís not a big deal, it just shows that our line played well, our receivers played well, Steven played well. Itís a good thing for our offense.Ē

(On how you become a better team at this point in the season)

ďKeep winning games. You hear college coaches and NFL coaches say how good of a team you are, but in this business itís about winning and the bottom line. If youíre 1-8, youíre not a good team. If we can win a couple more games and get a more respectable record then I can say weíre a better team, but weíre still 1-8 and thatís a bad football...
    -11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
  • RamWraith
    Coach Scott Linehan September 22
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 22, 2008

(Opening remarks)

ďJust one injury update, (RB) Antonio Pittman has a small crack in his fibula bone by his knee. He suffered it on a special teams play early in the game. It wasnít a contact thing; it looked like he just twisted it. But it does look like he will be out for a bit, Dr. (Matt) Matara is thinking 4-6 weeks right now, so he will miss this week and the bye week and counting 4-6 weeks, there is probably some more games in there before he will be ready. We have a couple more guys that were out that hopefully will get back this week.Ē

(On the status of (T) Orlando Pace)

ďHe had a mild strain to his groin so we will see on Wednesday. I donít think it will limit him, he said he felt pretty good today.Ē

(On who he expects will be ready to play after missing the game because of injuries)

ď(G) Jacob Bell was close last week, he did more but it was still tight. We were hoping that he did not take a step back, he would be good to go. We are hopeful with (DE) Leonard Little, he made progress last week as well but that is it. None of the other guys like (WR) Drew (Bennett) or (WR) Keenan Burton, those other guys who had injuries that put them out for awhile, will be available.Ē

(On the status of (G) Richie Incognito)

ď(G) (Richie) Incognito really strained his knee but everything looked good on the MRI today. He looked like he was moving around pretty good last night and I know he is a little sore today but everything looked good. It doesnít look like it will affect his status.Ē

(On who will back up RB Steven Jackson)

ď(RB) Brian Leonard really was two/three right there anyway. He took reps in that spot during the week and will now be the No. 2 and will factor into a lot more things. Now it is good to have the depth, it was a problem not to have him up but it is a no-brainer now. He is close to a 100-percent right now.Ē

(On the offensive progress in the game against the Seahawks)

ďYou still have to score but there were positives in the game and something that, a year ago, we had some real problems on the road against a team that had just sacked the previous opponent eight times. To get through the game with one sack, although it was a crucial one and it was early, was a positive and it really didnít factor into the O-line. I think the O-line, as a group, performed very well against a good defensive front. The bottom line is, you have to score and you have to out score your opponent. You canít go into any road game in the National Football League or any league and spot the team 17, 24, or 27 points in the first half and expect to win the game. I donít know who, in this league, that is equipped to come from behind those...
    -09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
  • RamsInfiniti
    Bulger is one tough S.O.B.! And other rants.
    by RamsInfiniti
    Say what you want about the Bulger injury, but he is one of the toughest S.O.B.'s I've ever seen ...

If it is legit and he was out there playing with 2 broken ribs, this guy cannot feel pain. Ever thrown a football? The rotational motion of the upper body pretty much rolls through every rib. I cannot see how he got threw the game without folding into the fetal position ...

It's hard to say how much role he had in the decision to play on Sunday. I would imagine he pushed very hard to be out there. Marc is a becoming an awesome leader, and seeing that emerge is a positive for me, no matter what else happens ...

I didn't even see him grimice in pain once Sunday ...

I'm just getting worried and saddened by this season. I see Torry and Ike out there and just think about how in a few years they'll both be gone, and Marc will probably be there not too long behind. These guys DESERVE to win again, as they'll all been dedicated to this program and have been through alot to get where they are. I hope everyone wakes up before it's too late ...

I like the look of our defense. When all our starters get back, particularly in the secondary, I think we are going to have a very solid young group of guys. We need a little depth, and a safety to replace Chavous, and we'll be just fine ...

It's hard to believe we are the seventh ranked defensive unit in the league, and 25th offensively. Never thought I would see that day, what a waste of offensive talent. The offensive coaches on this team must be embarrassed. I don't care how many people are hurt, or how many interceptions we get, we need to start tossing the ball downfield. Ask yourself this question:

How many times have we thrown a dig route or a post pattern downfield and not had a completion or a DPI? We have success just about everytime we try to go downfield. It sickens me, because I watched Cincinatti play the Squaks this weekend and saw Carson Palmer throw rocket after rocket after rocket to Chad Johnson and T.J. HOOSH-MAN-ZA-DUH all day long. They don't even have a capable third or fourth receiver and rarely go to the tight end. Yet, they have success throwing downfield to the same two receivers time and time again. I will never understand why we aren't doing this, and we have a much larger magnitude of capable weapons and offensive depth. Hasselbeck doesn't have near the talent at receiver that we do, yet they throw downfield time and time and time again. BTW, as much as I hate Hasselbeck, he throws an extremely pretty ball, just about every pass he makes. Philly is doing the same, as is Houston, and they all have less talent at WR then we do.

After seeing the strategy against Tampa, I no longer have TRUST in our coaches on the offensive side. Haslett is a completely different stories, as I think he has done wonders considering the injuries and suspensions on that side of...
    -09-25-2007, 08:18 AM
  • LA Rammer
    This Will NOT be a close one!
    by LA Rammer
    Rams will win handily!!! No Hass, No Alexander, you kiddin' me!!! Seattle is not taking this game too seriously. I don't see the squawks winning. The two are a very integral part of this team. The excuses are laid up and piled up high. The only ones who can lose this game are the Rams, defense not even an issue. Mark my words Bulger will have another great game and Jackson will do damage receiving out of the backfield. Holt is also due. As for our defense Pisa is back and Little will get his share of sacks (2-3)

I feel good about this game, as it is more important for us. Look at the Rams having, not a great defensive showing, but a decent one enough to hold them off.

If it rains Bulger can play in the rain! (vs. Steelers)
    -11-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Working...
X