X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodell on Rams: “We want to be in St. Louis”

By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. _ The St. Louis Rams may be for sale, but that doesn’t mean a franchise move will follow. And at his annual Super Bowl state of the NFL press conference Friday, league Commissioner Roger Goodell said: “We want to be in St. Louis.”

Goodell praised the efforts of Chip Rosenbloom and sister Lucia Rodriguez in running the team since the death of their mother, Georgia Frontiere, two years ago.

“The changes that Chip and his sister have made, I think, are very positive,” Goodell said. “They’re committed to trying to put this organization on the right track.”

He pointed out that selling the team and any potential relocation are two separate processes, both of which would come under considerable scrutiny by the league before any approval by club owners.

He also pointed out: “We have a (stadium) lease there (in St. Louis). We expect to have a lease.”
    :ramlogo:

Re: Goodell on Rams: “We want to be in St. Louis”

Originally posted by eldfan View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

He also pointed out: “We have a (stadium) lease there (in St. Louis). We expect to have a lease.”
    Whatever that means?...
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

If the Rams move, I think the NFL has to think about this: St. Louis built a new stadium and took a team from a much larger market. We did it before, and we can do it again. I think its in everyone's interest to keep the current team here in St. Louis.
      ZGare

Comment

Originally posted by zgare View Post
        If the Rams move, I think the NFL has to think about this: St. Louis built a new stadium and took a team from a much larger market. We did it before, and we can do it again. I think its in everyone's interest to keep the current team here in St. Louis.
        And that would be a concern if other St. Louisans owned NFL teams.;)

Comment

A non-story that means nothing. You're never gonna get anything but generalities in a situation like this ("I'd like to see the Rams in St. Louis", "We're committed to St. Louis", "St. Louis has been a great NFL city", blah, blah, blah). Do you really think publicly Goodell would come out and say "Well, I'd like to see the Rams in Lincoln, Nebraska?

Whoever buys a sports team usually plays tight to the vest and keeps his intentions quiet until a deal is complete. They feed guys like Bernie misinformation which is then fed to the public because it is not in their best interests to do otherwise. So we might as well do ourselves a favor and not put any stock in these reports about potential owners and what they might do. We'll know soon enough if and when the team is sold.

Comment

Good point. Whoever buys the team has to keep St. Louis fans coming for 5 more seasons (2010 through 2014) before they could move. They have to give the impression that currently they do not intend to move. Then 5 years later, pretend that they had always intended to keep the team in St. Louis, but then circumstances changed and they had to reconsider. Adios.

Maybe the current season ticket holders should ask for a long term commitment from the new owners before we commit to season tickets and PSLs that are supposed to be good through 2025.
            ZGare

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
              A non-story that means nothing. You're never gonna get anything but generalities in a situation like this ("I'd like to see the Rams in St. Louis", "We're committed to St. Louis", "St. Louis has been a great NFL city", blah, blah, blah). Do you really think publicly Goodell would come out and say "Well, I'd like to see the Rams in Lincoln, Nebraska?

Whoever buys a sports team usually plays tight to the vest and keeps his intentions quiet until a deal is complete. They feed guys like Bernie misinformation which is then fed to the public because it is not in their best interests to do otherwise. So we might as well do ourselves a favor and not put any stock in these reports about potential owners and what they might do. We'll know soon enough if and when the team is sold.
              The strange thing here is to have the League Commissioner addressing the issue at all. It's Super Bowl Week, and he's giving an address about the state of the league. I'm a bit surprised we were even on his agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by zgare View Post
                SNIP

Maybe the current season ticket holders should ask for a long term commitment from the new owners before we commit to season tickets and PSLs that are supposed to be good through 2025.
                This is a good point that I never thought about, and may be the only thing I like about PSLs; assuming there is a "good until 2025" date. If the team should attempt to pack up and leave for LA, they should have to refund the unused part of the PSL $$$. That should make them think twice about such a move.

And another thought. If they are a commitment to/good til 2025, do you have to purchase them again after 2025, or does the PSL evaporate after 2025?

gap

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
                  Whatever that means?...

ditto. I had to read that line a few times, and I still don't get it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                    Nixon extends a hand to help with Rams ..
                    by MauiRam
                    Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
                    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                    06/20/2009

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon was a guest on my WXOS-FM 101.1 radio show this week, and I asked him about the sale of the St. Louis Rams, and his conversations with Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom.

Nixon not only called Rosenbloom, but he has reached out to Dave Checketts and other figures who might be involved in the Rams' sale or future.

"I reached out to him a couple of times," Nixon said of Rosenbloom. "And we had a really good and thoughtful discussion about our shared principle of keeping the Rams in St. Louis. I mean I understand the pressure and the challenges he is under. I wanted him to know that personally. Also, I talked with Dave Checketts and called and talked to Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, to make him very aware that we worked hard to get NFL football in St. Louis and we want to work hard to make sure we keep it."

Meanwhile, the St. Louis Business Journal reported Friday that the name of FedEx founder Fred Smith is being circulated as a potential buyer of the Rams. Smith, based in Memphis, currently owns 10 percent of the Washington Redskins.
                    -06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
                  • ramsanddodgers
                    Rams owe reimbursement to St Louis PSL buyers
                    by ramsanddodgers
                    ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - They no longer call the Gateway City home, but Monday the Los Angeles Rams appeared to suffer another loss in St. Louis.

Court documents show a judge has ruled original owners of a St. Louis Rams Personal Seat License are owed a refund. The PSL contracts were originally for 30 years, but the team left St. Louis 9 years early before the 2016 season.

Now, a judge has agreed with attorney A.J. Bruning that fans are owed a pro-rated refund for those remaining years.......

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/nfl/rams-...ourt/323882090
                    -09-22-2016, 08:40 AM
                  • MauiRam
                    Sale nears completion for St. Louis Union Station
                    by MauiRam
                    Thursday, June 21, 2012 | 10:06 a.m. CDT; updated 1:31 p.m. CDT, Thursday, June 21, 2012
                    BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
                    ST. LOUIS — St. Louis Union Station could soon get a transformation.

The one-time railroad terminal turned into a retail center has been struggling for many years. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that after a bidding process, a sale is nearing completion. Details of redevelopment plans have not been released.

The newspaper says two suburban St. Louis companies, Lodging Hospitality Management and THF Realty, are working to buy Union Station and redevelop the site in a $50 million renovation that includes some public financing. THF is owned by Stan Kroenke, owner of the St. Louis Rams.

The sale is under contract. Final details are being worked out.

St. Louis Development Corp. is considering a $5 million allocation of federal New Markets Tax Credits to help the project.

Hmmm ..
                    -07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
                  • dhaab
                    Rams Soon Will BE Put Up for Sale - No Preconditions
                    by dhaab
                    Not looking good.

St. Louis Rams soon will be put up for sale
                    By Bernie Miklasz
                    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                    Sunday, May. 31 2009
                    Here's an early heads-up for any wealthy individuals, families or potential
                    investor groups in the St. Louis area who dream of owning an NFL franchise:

You're in luck.

But you might want to act fast, because the Rams are likely to hit the open
                    market in the near future, officially offered for sale by majority owners Chip
                    Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez.

After inheriting control of the Rams in early 2008 from their late mother,
                    Georgia Frontiere, Rosenbloom and Rodriguez have concentrated on reorganizing
                    the football operation. And they've had to deal with complex estate-tax issues
                    in the aftermath of their mother's death.

With substantial progress made in those areas, the timetable for a sale has
                    moved up.

Two sources with direct knowledge of the situation told the Post-Dispatch on
                    Saturday that Rosenbloom and Rodriguez have retained the services of Goldman
                    Sachs, the prominent investment banking firm.

The owners will ask Goldman Sachs to help facilitate the sale of the Rams by
                    evaluating bids and soliciting potential buyers.

The sale price is unknown, but Forbes magazine's most recent estimate listed
                    the Rams' value at $929 million.

And if you are a St. Louis Rams fan, here's the reason to be concerned: I'm
                    told there will be no preconditions attached to the sale of the Rams. This
                    means the Rams could be scooped up by out-of-town buyers.

And that's a dramatic — and potentially ominous — development, given the Rams'
                    shaky lease at the Edward Jones Dome.

Until now, Rosenbloom, the franchise's managing partner, has said he was open
                    to the idea of selling the Rams as long as the new owner agreed to keep the
                    team in St. Louis, long-term. Rosenbloom hoped that his pledge would entice a
                    buyer from the St. Louis community.

According to a source familiar with Rosenbloom's thinking, Rosenbloom is
                    discouraged by the apparent lack of local ownership interest. Rosenbloom, the
                    source said, has been waiting for more than a year for a St. Louis-area bidder
                    to step forward, to no avail.

The source said Rosenbloom's strong preference is to sell to St. Louis
                    representatives. But with nothing happening on the St. Louis front, Rosenbloom
                    has reluctantly concluded that the only way to expedite a sale is to make the
                    Rams available to any party, near or far. And that includes Los Angeles, the
                    Rams' home until moving to St. Louis in 1995.

When reached Saturday, Rosenbloom declined to comment on sale and stadium
                    issues. "The...
                    -05-30-2009, 10:44 PM
                  • HUbison
                    $tan will break media silence.....if owners approve his proposal.
                    by HUbison
                    I mean of course he does, right? The guy who has refused to say anything.....well, except for that moment after becoming the majority owner when he said that he would do everything he could to keep the Rams in St. Louis, and he could be trusted because he was an honorable man. But other than THAT, he hasn't had much to say. Well, apparently that all comes to end if 24 owners bow down before him today.

Look, I know that on some metaphysical level this is just life coming round full circle. Now, the St. Louis fans will feel what the LA fans felt, and what Cleveland felt before them....losing the Rams. Be that as it may, St. Louis is having to deal with something the other fans didn't. We were betrayed by one of our own. Enos Stanley (named after two of the greatest ever St. Louis Cardinals) Kroenke was a hero around here. He was the push that got the Rams here in the first place. When the franchise was in chaos after the passing of Frontiere, he stepped in and brought stability. He stood right there and said that he was going to keep the Rams in St. Louis. And why wouldn't we believe him? He's one of us. He's a St. Louis guy, a Missouri guy.

But no, ultimately, he was nothing more than just another money-driven douchebag willing to crap on anyone to make his cash stack a little higher.

We got screwed over by one of our own. That's what makes St. Louis fans so hate-filled over this. He was one of us.....was....
                    -01-12-2016, 10:23 AM
                  Working...
                  X