Pickett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickett

Why do we let players like him? He is a great run stopper and guess what we need. We drafted him why not keep him? If the same thing happens with OJ I am seriously going to questions the Rams decisions.

PS I know the FO was different at that time, but either way you think about it, it doesnt make sense.

Re: Pickett

I think many people have questioned the move to let Pickett walk. I think one issue with retaining him was that the team was really struggling with the cap due to bad decisions on the personnel and money management side of things, so i dont think the Rams thought they could retain Pickett. Thats something that Devaney made sure was sorted out in the past season, to stop that happening again.

Another reason for letting him go was that he only really played well for the Rams in that final year of his contract. That was the year he really looked like the player the Rams thought they would get when they drafted him in the first round. The Rams decided he only played well because he was in a contract year, however it turns out that the light had finally come on, looking at his recent years in Green Bay
    @EssexRam_

Comment

This was a crime to let Pickett walk, he lead all DT's in tackles in the League that last year, he played for the Rams and he signed for the Packers at a reasonable price too....not good

steve:ram:
      "The breakfast Club":helmet:

Comment

Rumour has it that the Packers are going to slap the franchise tag on him anyway. I was kinda hoping that the rams would take a look at him but this looks unlikely now.

Comment

The Rams deserve criticism on a lot of things, but letting Ryan Pickett go isn't one of them. The guy was below average during his tenure here. Now because he had a decent season elsewhere all of a sudden we should have kept him? It's a silly second guess, pure and simple.

When you're on a team, you must prove yourself. The window to do that in the NFL is small. Pickett didn't distinguish himself in St. Louis and the Rams cut bait.

Comment

The fact of the league is that players just respond differently in different situations. The perfect example if Randy Moss. Certainly there are other, outside factors when considering this, but sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes for a player to live up to their potential. Maybe this was the case with Pickett, maybe not. But it definitely happens a lot in the NFL.

Comment

In his last year with the Rams, he had 65 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 passes defended. Those are entirely respectable numbers for a starting DT. The Rams simply did not want to pay his market value. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake.

Comment

Different supporting cast, of course hes going to look different.

Comment

I think the Rams were unfair in their evaluation of Pickett. No way we should've let him walk. He's a run clogger wich is exactly what we're missing.

Comment

Was definitely a mistake.

IIRC he didn't like the way management was running the team either. Seemed like he wanted out. Have no idea how much that factored into his leaving but it's hard to keep players who don't want to be there. Although money is quick to shut someone up.

Comment

I never knew quite what to make of Pickett when he was a Ram. Every year our run defense was among the worst in the league. Fortunately, I'm not called upon to make personnel decisions for an NFL team because back then I was inclined to think that if we had better defensive tackles, our linebackers would have been making more plays. Apparently the rest of the defense really was that bad.

Comment

I know it probably isn't going to be a popular statement but I'll say it anyway. I've always sort of believed Little was one of the reasons the Rams run defense was so weak for all these years. The guy almost always takes a wide swinging move to the outside for his speed rush move. That effectively takes him out of the play for run defense support. Always seemed to me that was a horrible disadvantage for our DTs and it meant our LBers were instantly exposed.

Comment

*no sugar coating*Ya Picket just sucked pretty much until that last year and lived below expectations and i could us not wanting to chance with him anymore from the lack of production.... hindsight has 20/20 vision don't act like he was great when we let him go..

Comment

Tomohawk did a pretty good job of bringing the Pickett decision into focus. No personnel move in the NFL can not be fairly evaluated without carefully assessing the teams salary cap constraints at the time the decision was made.

It is easy to ask "How could we let Pickett go?" But you shouldn't bother asking the question unless you are familiar with the Rams roster and the salary cap implications at the time.

The same people that are saying we should have kept Pickett, a solid young player, are probably equally upset that we let Chillar, Bruce, Warner, Shanle, and others go. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it to. Sometimes, you just gotta let people walk. You can't keep everybody.

Ask yourself this: Letting Pickett go allowed us to sign or retain who? I don't know the answer, and neither do you.

Comment

They didn't call him Big Grease for nothing.

Everyone (except sixty-two) slid right on through. They ran right at him.

It's the coaching, stupid. [Dramatic phraise not intended to personally offend.]
                              Last edited by live4ramin; -02-27-2010, 08:52 PM. Reason: trying to cover my ass.
                              Look away. I'm hideous. __ Cozmo Kramer

Comment