Atogwe, Barron appear headed for restricted FA tenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atogwe, Barron appear headed for restricted FA tenders

INDIANAPOLIS _ Were it not for the pending uncapped year in the NFL, Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe and offensive tackle Alex Barron would be headed for potential riches as unrestricted free agents once the free agent/trading period starts March 5.

But unless something very dramatic happens over the next eight days in terms of a labor agreement, 2010 will be an uncapped year in the NFL. As a result, Atogwe and Barron will be restricted free agents. As such, they are expected to be offered one-year tenders as RFAs by the St. Louis Rams. (The deadline for making such offers is March 4.)

Per league rule, the Rams would have to tender Atogwe and Barron at 110 percent of their 2009 salaries. Atogwe’s tender would be at $6.976 million _ or 110 percent of what he made as the team’s franchise player this past season. Barron would be tendered at $2.73 million.

At those levels, the Rams would be entitled to a first_ and third-round draft pick for Atogwe if he got an outside offer and the Rams decided not to match. The Rams would get a first-round draft pick for Barron if he got an outside offer and they decided not to match.

Because the Rams can use a restricted tender on Atogwe, they won’t have to use a franchise or transition tag this season. In fact, general manager Billy Devaney confirmed Wednesday that the Rams will not use either tag this season; Thursday is the deadline for using them.
    I think it was obvious that Atogwe would be getting the high tender, and i doubt a team would give up a first and third for him. Hopefully he produces well this year and the team gets him signed to a long term deal.

I was originally opposed to keeping Barron. Im fed up with his false starts and holding penalties. But for such a relatively cheap amount, and considering the holes on the team, i wouldnt mind keeping him around. Even if we do pick up another tackle and Barron gets forced into a backup role, its not an expensive contract.

For some reason Rotoworld read this article and concluded that Barron would also be getting the first and third round tender like Atogwe, but it doesnt actually say that here.
    @EssexRam_

Re: Atogwe, Barron appear headed for restricted FA tenders

I'm really hoping that Barron receives an outside offer, getting a first for him would be fantastic. I know this is unlikely but while Al Davis has control of a franchise one can always hope.

Comment

I really hope we manage to keep them both.

Atogwe is a playmaker...ball hawker if you will.

Barron is 6' 7" weighing in 315 lbs and is only 27. I know he has a major issue with false starts and I'm not belittling how that hurts our team. However the guy is very durable. He has played in all 16 games the last 4 seasons moving back and forth from RT to LT to RT to LT. Not to mention there has been alot of player movement concerning our O-line and the chemistry needed hasn't been established. I'd also like to add that our O-line was playing okay last season until the injuries started hitting the group.
      sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by TheBritishRam View Post
        I'm really hoping that Barron receives an outside offer, getting a first for him would be fantastic. I know this is unlikely but while Al Davis has control of a franchise one can always hope.
        I don't know, what is Barrons time in the 40?

Comment

Smart move keeping Barron. We don't have a better option at this point, and we're not likely to get one in the immediate future. We may even get a bite from a team with such a small free agent pool likely this offseason.

Comment

On the fence with Barron. I suppose the best thing to happen would be to get an outside offer and let the FO decide which way to go with it. Naturally that extra 1st would be great, but who knows how they have O-Linemen graded out in the draft.

Comment

Yes Barron has some flaws but he also has some strengths that this team needs. He can play at a high level when motivated and focus. He can play several positions and has starter talent.

We can hope Chicago or Green Bay will be interested in him and willing to give up picks then we can easily select a RT in this years draft.

Go Rams

Comment

Good choice. Better than keeping Setterstrom around.

Comment

Originally posted by fearsome foursome View Post
                  I don't know, what is Barrons time in the 40?
                  lmao um hopefully hes sub 5nflat and old Al would take him!

Comment

at this point, OT starter is Barron OR Goldberg. you choose.

for me, i'd like to see Goldberg remain as the utility/backup and NOT the starter. Besides, Barron seemed to thrive a bit under Spags... his mental game didn't seem nearly as flawed in '09 (not that that is saying much). He should be retained, but if a 1st round pick could be achieved thru rfa... then by all means, grab it and don't match the offer! would love to see the Rams with 3 picks in the top 33!

Comment

Man I dont know what you guys are smoking? You think that a NFL team will give up a first rounder for the leader in offsides the past 4 years? Never! Its demoralizing for the players and its a drive killer. The only team that can do this is Oakland.

Comment

Originally posted by thermobee View Post
                        Man I dont know what you guys are smoking? You think that a NFL team will give up a first rounder for the leader in offsides the past 4 years? Never! Its demoralizing for the players and its a drive killer. The only team that can do this is Oakland.
                        False Starts?

Comment