Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Here are a few Rams related things that I'm happy about...

1. A nice side benefit of having the first pick overall is that the Rams are getting more national coverage than they have in a long time. Certainly more coverage than the past two years when the Rams had the second pick.

2. Given the new draft format, pick #33 is very valuable. There will be approximately 20 hours between picks 32 and 33. This will give the Rams time to field trade offers, which should be plentiful. Given the depth of this year's draft, the Rams may be able to turn pick #33 into a later Round 2 pick plus and extra Round 3 pick without losing the ability to take the player they want.

3. Who isn't looking forward to an end of all discussions regarding ownership and the city where the Rams will play? Stability, Thy name is Khan.

4. While I guess it is possible that the Eagles might still trade Vick after paying him his roster bonus, the greater likelihood is that the Vick issue will be resolved in the next week. Certainly, if the Rams do want Vick, they should trade for him now when the pressure is on the Eagles to get a deal done before March 5.

5. Two months from now, we'll all be looking forward to watching Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy (no, I'm not buying that the Rams might take Clausen No. 1 overall) wearing the horns. Whoever it is, that will be something to really look forward to.

6. Say what you will about the negative side of the uncapped season, but the Rams do benefit to the extent there is no chance that they will lose O.J. Atogwe and Clifton Ryan (unless they decide to trade them) and they can keep Alex Barron without giving him a long-term deal.

7. Who knew Billy Devaney had so much personality?

8. It really is a great thing that Bernie writes such insightful articles for this website.

Re: Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

9) I believe the majority of the team is currently Healthy.

Comment

10) No matter whom we choose at #1, he is going to improve our team.

Comment

11. Our front office seems to be better then the Rams have seen in at least 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
          Stability, Thy name is Khan.
          Who is going to come up with the first "Wrath of Khan" headline?

I wouldn't be so hasty to write off the chances of Clausen being drafted first overall: he is more "pro ready" than Bradford and has fewer health issues. Ideally, we'd trade down to get him and some extra picks but he could be taken at one if no decent offers are available.

Comment

I'm excited because we will see at least 4 new starters come out of this draft. Keep adding star power Billy D!

Comment

Let us not forget that one other bright spot is that our new prospective owner is committed to football, thus he is committed to improving our team!
              temp_4394_1467243487543_20
              RAMS!

Comment

12. I can take Shiloh off my list of movies I really should watch someday....and Saving Shiloh........and Shiloh 2: Shiloh Season....jeepers, Chip; haven't you milked that poor dog dry yet?....uh...sorry, that sounded dirtier than I meant it.

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
                  2. Given the new draft format, pick #33 is very valuable. There will be approximately 20 hours between picks 32 and 33. This will give the Rams time to field trade offers, which should be plentiful. Given the depth of this year's draft, the Rams may be able to turn pick #33 into a later Round 2 pick plus and extra Round 3 pick without losing the ability to take the player they want.
                  Yeah i made a topic about this on the draft board. With the Rams picking first on all three days, and time for teams to stew on who they want, the Rams are in a good position to trade down.
                  @EssexRam_

Comment

Things are already looking up this year, Rams 16-0 next year! Yep, I called it.

Comment

Our special teams have improved greatly.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫

Comment

17) Our team may suck, but we have a lot of bright spots like long, laurinitis. OJ, butler, and our next draft pick and one or two FA moves.

Comment

18) so Im still a Ram fan no matter what happens! RAMS FOR LIFE !!! NO OTHER FRANCHISE COMPARES ( OVERALL THAT IS)

Comment

Originally posted by rNemesis View Post
                            18) so Im still a Ram fan no matter what happens! RAMS FOR LIFE !!! NO OTHER FRANCHISE COMPARES ( OVERALL THAT IS)
                            I like number 18 the best!

Comment

looking forward to Khans keen eye of business where success is built from winning.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                                Advice to Rams: If not 100% on Bradford, trade
                                by Nick
                                Advice to Rams: If not 100% on Bradford, trade
                                By Rob Rang
                                NFL Draft Scout
                                Posted on: April 20, 2010 8:52 am

As I reported a week ago and Cleveland Browns' general manager Tom Heckert publicly confirmed two days later, the St. Louis Rams are having internal discussions about trading out of the No. 1 pick.

With the several potential suitors (Cleveland, Washington, Seattle, Denver), it is possible that the Rams get the 3,000 "points" as required in the draft pick trade chart every team and media member refers to in these situations.

Far be it from me to offer the Rams, and specifically general manager Billy Devaney, advice on the situation, but I'm going to anyway:

Trading out of the No. 1 pick for less than its perceived value will likely generate some negative reaction from other teams and the media.

The reality is, the Rams, winners of only 6/48 games over the past three regular seasons have holes throughout their roster. The 2010 draft is as deep and talented as any we've seen in over a decade. The money saved on not utilizing the first overall pick would cover the extra players.

And for all of the talk about how difficult it is to trade out of the top pick, the last two teams that did so, received more than fair value for their courage -- though they weren't necessarily viewed as the consensus "winners" when making the deal on draft day.

The San Diego Chargers did it the unconventional way in 2004, selecting Eli Manning with the first pick and then shipping he to the Giants for the 4th overall selection, Philip Rivers, and three picks that the Chargers ultimately turned into Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding and veteran offensive tackle Roman Oben.

San Diego was involved in the last trade involving the No. 1 pick, as well, trading out of the top spot in 2001 to Atlanta. The Falcons got Michael Vick and the Chargers got the fifth pick, which they used on LaDainian Tomlison, as well as Atlanta's 3rd round pick in 2001 (Chargers selected CB Tay Cody), second round pick in 2002 (WR Reche Caldwell) and veteran receiver/returner Tim Dwight. Having not filled their quarterback need in the first round, the Chargers used their first pick of the second round on some guy named Brees.

There will be those that argue the Rams should simply ignore Bradford and use the top pick on their highest rated player, almost surely Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy.

Unfortunately for St. Louis, having spent high first round selections on the defensive line in 2007 (Adam Carriker) and 2008 (Chris Long) likely precludes the team from doing so.

My admittedly two-cent advice? Capitalize on the best deal you can get and trade out. Let someone else gamble on Sam Bradford's shoulder. Fill other areas of concern with the first round pick(s). And take the...
                                -04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
                              • THOLTFAN81
                                We will know where Rams stand way before the draft.
                                by THOLTFAN81
                                Everyone on this forum knows where I stand as I have taken plenty of negative rep due to my feelings on us getting Michael Vick. However, if the Rams dont acquire Vick or a veteran quarterback then we almost MUST draft a QB with our first round pick. I would be very disappointed if we went into the season with the three stooges (Bulger, Boller, Null) as the top Qbs on our depth chart. If we don't get a veteran QB, based on his pro days, etc. Sam Bradford is the no-brainer choice in my eyes.

And Avenger, now you truly know that if the Rams don't sign Vick i will not pought or hold anything against them but would begin to heavily embrace drafting a Quarterback of the future in Sam Bradford.

BTW- I am strongly AGAINST Jimmy Clausen..really not a fan of him, dont think hes that good at all.

I know Tampa LOVES Suh so if we don't get a veteran QB i would really like to see us trade the 1st overall to Tampa for their first round third overall and their third round third overall. In this we obtain an extra top 5 3rd round pick while ensuring we get the QB of our choice because Tampa and Detroit won't be taking a QB.

Thoughts?
                                -01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
                                Rams Could Trade Down Not Once, But Twice
                                by Guest
                                by Brian Stull
                                While the smokescreen of who Billy Devaney is and isn't talking with continues to thicken, here's a plan to consider as the Rams weigh their options with the number one pick...
                                Trading down not just once, but twice.
                                It's more realistic than you might think and the Rams could still stay in the top four.
                                Most people have assumed that Detroit is going to use the second overall pick to choose Russell Okung (T) out of Oklahoma State to shore up their offensive line and offer some protection for Mathew Stafford.
                                Not a bad train of thought--but are the Lions good enough to pass on a Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy to bolster their defense??
                                If you're Tampa, you can't take that chance. If you want to guarantee that you receive one of the two top defensive tackles you have to trade up--and if you're going to trade, why not go to the top and ensure you have first choice.
                                So, the Rams and Bucs work out a deal to swap 1st and 3rd overall picks with whatever other pick/player combo balances it out.
                                You now have Washington at number four--rumored to be interested in Sam Bradford. Detroit and Tampa both have their young QBs of the future, so there is no concern there. However, even if the Rams sign a veteran free agent, can the Redskins be sure the Rams won't select Bradford at #3??
                                No. So again, Washington needs to work a trade and the Rams can acquire additional picks/players while staying near the top of the draft.
                                Now, you may say that's fine--but if Suh, McCoy, and Bradford are all off the board who's left for the Rams at #4 in this scenario??
                                Lots of options here--talks are ongoing, but a long-term deal with Oshiomogho Atogwe has yet to be reached and Eric Berry is not just a top-rated safety, but a top player overall in the draft. CJ Spiller would be a heck of combo teaming with Steven Jackson.
                                Dez Bryant and all of the wide receivers would be available. Jimmy Clausen, who does have some support at Rams Park, would be on the table.
                                It comes back to answering this question--would the Rams be better with one player forecast to be a can't miss game-changer or by acquiring a handful of very good players that can address the many needs on the team.
                                Looking forward to the scenarios that develop this week at the Combine, will keep you posted on what is--and isn't being talked about.

Personally if this were possible I'd trade twice but after alll odds are against this...
                                -02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
                              • THOLTFAN81
                                10 Questions pertaining to the off-season.
                                by THOLTFAN81
                                1. Should the Rams cut Marc Bulger if they are unable to trade him?
                                Yes or No?

2. Should the Rams attempt to acquire Michael Vick via trade?
                                Yes or No?

3. Should the Rams draft Sam Bradford if all is well during his pro day, and his medical report is great?
                                Yes or No?

4. Should the Rams take a mid-round flier on Mike Williams?
                                Yes or No?

5. Do you think Ndamukong Suh is the pick no matter what Bradford does at his pro day?
                                Yes or No?

6. Do you think Jimmy Clausen has any chance of being drafted first overall?
                                Yes or No?

7. Who do you think is the biggest sleeper in this years draft?

8. Should the Rams attempt to acquire a "big-name" free agent this off-season?

9. More likely: Rams take Bradford first overall or Rams trade down?

10. Is poop-canning a real word?
                                Yes or No?
                                -02-28-2010, 11:13 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Rumors Continue To Swirl Around Rams
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Rumors continue to swirl around Rams

Columnist Jeff Gordon
                                STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
                                02/23/2010

This Rams offseason has been waaay more entertaining than the past few regular seasons.

Developments on multiple fronts have fans jamming the STLtoday.com live chats and forums with Rams questions and comments.

This is a fascinating time in franchise history. Barring unforeseen circumstances, Illinois businessman Shahid Khan will buy the team this season and will begin working to secure its prosperous longterm future in St. Louis.

This looming regime change has put the football operation on the clock. Itís safe to assume than Khan isnít buying this team so he can suffer on Sundays.

Billy Devaney, Steve Spagnuolo and Co. will have to convince the new owner that dramatic progress is forthcoming ASAP.

Khan understands that reduced ticket prices alone wonít revive local interest in this team. Fans will need to see major change before reinvesting money and emotion in this team.

The Rams have the first overall pick in the draft, first dibs on players that hit the waiver wire, lots of budget money to spend and glaring needs at almost every position.

As a result, about every other good NFL rumor involves the Rams. Around the league, everybody is talking about this team.

Will the Rams swap their first overall pick to Tampa Bay?

A popular rumor has the Rams getting quarterback Josh Johnson and a third-round pick (or a second-round pick, or second- and third-round picks) to move down to the No. 3 in the first round. Devaney has denied discussing this with Tampa Bay, but such a deal could make sense.

The Rams would probably make that trade to get extra draft picks. But Johnson doesnít look like much of a trade chip. He flopped as a starter last season in Tampa Bay and would enter next season as the No. 3 guy behind Josh Freeman and a veteran TBA. Johnson would be an interesting guy to throw into a four-man competition here, but thatís about it.

Will the Rams try to pry Michael Vick out of Philadelphia?

That rumor really heated up during the Super Bowl. Trouble is, the Eagles could pay Vick his looming roster bonus, take all three of their quarterbacks to training camp and try to drive up potential trade pricing. Incumbent Donovan McNabb could head to Minnesota if Brett Favre retires again. Kolb would like assurances of playing time before agreeing to a new deal with the Eagles. Vick just wants to play, in Philly or anywhere else. Talk about intrigue!

What will become of quarterback Marc Bulger?

Technically he is still on this team, despite cleaning out his locker at Rams Park. He is not going to retire. Several teams would covet him as a back-up next season, including Tampa Bay -Ė where Greg Olson...
                                -02-23-2010, 11:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X