Need more vertical!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more vertical!

Anyone know how often the Rams have thrown the ball deep this year? Dunno if this qualifies as a "criticism", but I wish the Rams would throw deep more. To me, what makes Warner special in a league of mediocre dink-pass "West Coast offense" passers is his ability to throw the bomb, and it's frustrating that he rarely showcases his talent in this area.

His numbers the past two seasons in passes 30+ yards:

1999: 7 of 24, 341 yds, 5 TD, 1 INT, 101.4 PRS
    2000: 9 of 18, 510 yds, 3 TD, 1 INT, 112.3 PRS

And of course, going deep got us our fame and glory (Proehl v. Bucs in NFC Championship, Ike in SB). So why is Warner only throwing deep only 1.5 times per game?

I can see the argument that throwing it only when it's available is what makes it so effective, but I would like to see him open it up more and take more chances deep. I think the deep pass is utterly devasting to defenses in terms of demoralizing and it opens things up underneath even more (which might help cut down on INTs). I think it would have been especially effective against the ***** to go deep a lot more with those very poor corners hovering on the shorter to intermediate routes.

Anyway, that's my only "complaint" with the Rams right now. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with only 35 points per game. ;)

He's just getting back into the swing of it. The air attack will happen more. But the other teams are expecting it and it opens him up to attack. Keep them on their toes and protect him from harm. Want him to last the season this time.

Comment

not sure

Not how often they have thrown deep. I think teams have really tried to take the deep ball away from them as they seem to playing they safties really deep on St. Louis. I think this has to do with the long ball and the run after the catch.

I think it more the opprotunites haven't been there.

Comment

I think the Rams have had to adjust to defenses playing against the deep pass.In a way,it has been to our advantage.The Rams are passing underneath and running more time off the clock during their drives.Remember last year,the Rams defense would be on the field forever,give up a TD,and our offense would come out and score a TD right away.Our defense was still catching their breath and BAM they were out on the field again.I think the deep threat is always there,but we're picking apart defenses in a different way this year.I like it.This year we have a much more balanced football team.

GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!
        ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Comment

Actually, I like how they are strategically going deep. Take the Philly game, we really didn't make anything successful deep until the Bruce catch in OT. We hadn't taken many shots until then, and had that great secondary off their feet. The SF game was sluggish for awhile until a couple of 20+ yard catches to Ricky Proehl. Miami game we went deep with Holt, and we have gone deep more than you think just haven't caught the ball. Remember, this offense may have played the grand total of one game the whole entire preseason, then open up with the Eagles, who have a great D, on the road on that terrible turf. It is always a good time in SF, and they may have a decent team this year. Really, the offense is really just finding themselves again, watch for plenty of shots this week with a banged up Giants secondary. However, against the Jets, watch lots and lots of Marshall.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Randy
            Martz-Players coach
            by Randy
            Listening to Mike Martz's press conference on Tuesday 12/18 the players have to love this guy. He stood up for Hakim, stating that he is coached to look in front of him to view where the oncoming defenders are at, and the problem lies in his feet positioning. I don't know if I buy that but that's his statement, how can you catch a ball if you are not concentrating on it. Praising Kurt & Grant on the best games of their short NFL careers. Standing up for his players when they wanted challenges. That may burn us in the playoffs but you got to like the aggressive offense. All the other teams in the league except us and San Fran are BORING. RUN-RUN-PASS-PUNT. LOOK FOR RAMS TO GO 14-2, huge blowouts againest Indy and Falcons. Once playoffs start, What do the Bears have? we beat SF consistantly finally, Philly nothing, watch the Pack.
            -12-19-2001, 11:33 AM
          • txramsfan
            Takeaway/Giveaway ratio for 2001
            by txramsfan
            Going into the Saints game this week, the Rams currently have 8 more turnovers than takeaways. Being somewhat of a math wiz (I can cipher) this means we have had 8 less attempts at the end zone.

So, what does this mean? Well, I believe we must take our shots a little more realistically, and play the offensive side of the ball similar to the Whiner game. Keeping the ball close to the vest, almost 50/50 run pass, dumps over the middle, ball control essentially, will make it difficult for opponents to defeat the Rams.

I know I am not saying anything new, but I just thought I would bring to light a couple of things as to why this should work throughout the playoffs:

1. Warners Thumb. Haven't been real successful this year with the long ball as in the past. Either the ball is underthrown or the touch isn't there. We have WR's who are setting the pace this year in YACs (Yards After Catch) and even with a bumb thumb, Warner can make a dead eye 10 yard pass all day.

2. The Defense. The Rams no longer need the big play on every offensive possession. The one thing this defense does is keep folks out of the endzone. The D this year is only yielding 15.8 pts a game, with the New Orleans game in St. Louis skewing that number high. The turnovers in that game field position wise put the defense in quicksand.

Point being, if the Rams only turn the ball over 3 times or less, it should always turn up a W for the :lid:
            -12-14-2001, 02:52 PM
          • tomahawk247
            team has to be down before offense gets going?
            by tomahawk247
            is it that the team goes down because the offense doesnt score, or does the offense kick into gear knowing it has to score x amount of points to get back in the game?
            -10-30-2006, 05:30 AM
          • RamDez
            Deep Thoughts: Rams never stopped looking long
            by RamDez
            Deep Thoughts: Rams never stopped looking long
            By Jim Thomas

Of the Post-Dispatch
            10/21/2004

Things haven't reached 2000 levels, when the Rams dialed long distance at epic levels and every game was a track meet. They completed 13 passes of 50 yards or more that season, and averaged almost a first down (9.36 yards) on every passing attempt.

But the deep ball is creeping back into the St. Louis offense. Shaun McDonald caught a 52-yard touchdown pass to defeat Seattle 33-27 in overtime on Oct. 10.

Torry Holt opened the scoring Monday night against Tampa Bay with another 52-yarder, and then closed things out with a 36-yard TD catch in a 28-21 victory.

Through six games this season, the Rams have connected on eight pass plays of 30 or more yards, which is twice as many as they had at this point in '03. Quarterback Marc Bulger is averaging 8.01 yards per passing attempt, nearly 1 yard higher than the team average in both the '02 and '03 campaigns.

"Marc's throwing the deep ball like he had in the past," coach Mike Martz said. "For a while there, he wasn't throwing it as well. I think he is just very confident right now about throwing the deep ball. Very confident."

Martz has regarded Trent Green, the former Ram now with Kansas City, as one of the best deep passers around. Martz felt Bulger displayed a similar touch in 2002, when he got seven starts in place of an injured Kurt Warner.

But that touch wasn't always there in 2003, when Bulger started from Week 2 through the rest of the season. "He was a little tentative with the deep ball," Martz said. "You get a guy running down the field, and he didn't want to miss him."

As a result, Martz said the Rams placed extra emphasis on throwing deep in practice during minicamps and training camp. Getting a full offseason and preseason to throw with the top receivers didn't hurt, either, in terms of timing and chemistry. Bulger didn't do that entering the '03 season because Warner was the starter.

Is Bulger throwing the long ball better this season?

"Maybe," Bulger said. "For me, I haven't done anything different. But we're hitting them. That's all that matters, I guess."

As to why that's the case, it could be the extra practice repetitions. Or greater familiarity with his receivers. Or simply the kinds of coverages the Rams are seeing in games. It's probably all of the above.

"We have a lot of deep balls called throughout a game," Bulger said. "But you only get that certain look you want maybe once out of every five times you call a deep ball. We've been fortunate with some of the coverages we've (gotten), and that's probably just a good job of game planning."

Bulger also points out that there's a lot more to throwing
            -10-23-2004, 01:52 AM
          • Coach_Largent
            Tuesday Edition... Saints @ Rams.........(long)
            by Coach_Largent
            Rams fans.... this is the first in my weekly posts that I do for the upcomong weekend. This is just to offer the game from another perspective. I always enjoy going to the enemy forums and checking out the different takes on the game. It is not intended as smack, that is what smack boards are for. I watch tapes of just about every game that I can get my hands on, and between myself and 2 other coaching friends we usually tape 8-10 games a week. Take it as it is.

So, here we are as little as 3 weeks ago this looked like a possible clash between NFC elite. The battle for NFC West ( and NFC ) supremacy. It has turned into a wild-card hopeful vs. a Super Bowl expectant. Is this realistic ?
            Yes and no. The season is still very early, the inevitable injury bug is starting to hit every team in the league and many team fortunes will be won or lost by undrafted or unheralded young back-ups and grizzled veterans hanging on for one more season as back-ups. That being said, the Rams are playing very well. The improvement in speed on D is evident and they force teams out of their normal gameplans early, in effect, not having defend near as much field or scheme, think of it as defensive offense.

So what can we expect ? Depends on what New Orleans team shows up and how big the loss of both Willie Roaf, to injury, and Aaron Brooks missing confidence are.

Let's take a look at the Rams. The first question is, "Are they vulnerable and where ?" The answer came in the most suprising tape of all. The Detroit Lion game. I watched this Monday night tilt live and remember James Stewart taking the Lions straight down the field only to have Batch throw that pass to I don't even know who , for an INT. When watching on tape, I found something WAY more interesting. Stewart got almost all of his yardage (6.8 ypc ) straight up the middle. A-gap.When the Lions ran the stretch or slide plays off-tackle, the Rams swarmed them with LB's and Little off of the backside. Lots of speed. So, my objective was clear, watch the other 5 games and see where guys got yards. Lo and behold the Jets blowout gave me these numbers ( Curtis Martin 4.5, LaMont Jordan 8.5, and Richie Anderson 6.5 ypc ) 9 (of 24) rushes inside the OG's and a 74 % of their rushing yardage on these carries. LaMont Jordan had good success up the gut. The Dolphins and Chan Gailey never went away from the stretch and Smith was bottled up all day by a fast, aggresive defense that was unconcerned with Fiedler.
            So, what does this give the Saints? A liltte hope. The Saints can be effective running the football UP THE GUT. The Rams D is fast and it does hit, and it is improved, so the running game will have to come right up the middle, although I am interested in seeing a team run the counter tre' right at L.Little. Seems like you could take his upfield speed and the pursuit of the LB's and use it against them by trapping him upfield. So, why haven't we seen...
            -10-23-2001, 06:55 AM
          Working...
          X