• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fells To Start Making Trips

03.05.2010 3:50 pm
    Fells to start making trips
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

One of the overlooked surprises of Thursday’s tender deadline for restricted free agents was the decision by the St. Louis Rams not to make a tender offer to tight end Daniel Fells. As a result, Fells is the equivalent of an unrestricted free agent, free to sign anywhere, no strings attached.
    Fells and the Rams continue to talk, but Fells is scheduled to start making free agent trips Sunday, according to league sources.

Fells, 26, spent the last two games of the season on injured reserve due to a thigh bone injury. He caught 21 passes for 273 yards and three touchdowns last season. Only Donnie Avery had more TD catches (5) for the Rams.

Re: Fells To Start Making Trips

I'm willing to bet that the Rams are gonna kick themselves in the butt for this move. I forsee them going after him through out the free agency and if they end up getting him back I bet they're gonna spend a lot more money on him than they would have if they tendered him.
    Even if they take a Tight end in the 4th or 5th round of the draft (Particularly Clay, the one they seem high on) the ideal situation is to have a young, vet with experience like Fells to start this upcoming year. They're not gonna spend the money on a bigger name guy like Scheffler.
    We'll see. But I'll put my money on it that they're gonna still go after him pretty hard if he gets offers from other teams.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
      Fells Working Without A Net
      by r8rh8rmike
      Fells working without a net

BY JIM THOMAS
      Friday, May 27, 2011

Establishing a foothold in the NFL has been an ongoing struggle for Daniel Fells ever since he entered the league in 2006 as an undrafted rookie with Atlanta.

And despite career highs for receptions (41) and reception yards (391) last season for the Rams, things appear as tenuous as ever on some levels for the big tight end. For one, he's without a contract. For another, like every NFL player, he's in the midst of a lockout.

Fells, 27, finally might be in a position to make some decent money, but that's all in limbo as long as the lockout drags on.

"It's very frustrating," Fells said. "Me and my wife are expecting our first child, so it's one of those things where it's kind of a blessing in disguise. I get to be around and take care of her and make sure everything's going great. She's expecting within the next few weeks. But the uncertainty of our future, it's a little rocky, you know?"

Even though he's technically not a part of the Rams because he's not under contract, Fells made the trip to St. Louis this week to take part in the team's player-organized informal workouts.

After practicing at Lindenwood University Monday through Wednesday, the venue was switched to Lutheran South High School, where former Rams strength coach Chuck Faucette is now head football coach. About three dozen Rams have participated in this week's practices at one time or another.

But heavy rains cancelled Thursday's session. Instead, quarterback Sam Bradford and about eight to 10 receivers spent 30 minutes doing classroom work and then worked for about 45 minutes in the gym at Lutheran South. Afterward, many of them stayed around and played a little basketball.

Many Rams players will reconvene June 8 in the Phoenix area for another series of workouts organized by cornerback Ron Bartell, linebacker James Laurinaitis and Bradford. Fells headed back to his home in the San Francisco Bay Area later Thursday.

"I had to come get some football work in, somehow, some way," Fells said. "It's always good just to get on the field and get running around and run some routes, catch some balls from a quarterback. Because you can't simulate football. You know, I can go in the weight room and I can do different workouts and what not, but the only way to get football trained is actually to do football."

Whether Fells "does football" in St. Louis in 2011 remains to be seen.

As a restricted free agent a year ago, the Rams didn't make a tender offer to Fells. It seemed an unusual strategy at the time, because it made Fells the equivalent of an unrestricted free agent, free to sign anywhere — no strings attached. He made a free-agent trip to New England, but ended up signing a one-year deal to return...
      -05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
    • Bosna-Ram
      Rams would like to re-sign TE Daniel Fells
      by Bosna-Ram
      by: vanram

Answering questions after his official media availability, St. Louis Rams GM Billy Devaney revealed a little bit about the team's plans for one their pending free agents. Asked by TST whether they planned to bring back TE Danile Fells, Devaney expressed a desire to bring Daniel Fells back this season.
      We'd like to have Daniel back.
      Tight end Daniel Fells has been hit and miss during his time with the Rams. This first two years were pretty tumultuous; some of the more generous watchers would give him a mulligan for '08 and '09.

Fells had career highs with 41 catches and 391 yards last year, but those numbers were marred by inconsistency. Regardless, bringing Fells back makes some sense for the Rams. Clearly he's lost his role as the starter, replaced by Michael Hoomanawanui, who the Rams hope stays healthy this season. Fells can catch the ball and block, functionally in both areas.

If the Rams do end up bringing Daniel Fells back, the depth chart will largely depend on how far along Fendi Onobun is. The "project" tight end the Rams picked in the sixth round last year didn't see much time on the field before injury ended his season. He caught two passes and his speed was an asset on special teams.

Devaney, in talking about receivers, noted how the Patriots were able to stretch the field with their tight ends last season. Ideally, Onobun would do that for the Rams. If Onobun can do some damage on the field, Fells would drop to third or even fourth on the depth chart, behind Uh Oh, Onobun and possibly Billy Bajema.
      -02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Fells Finds His Niche
      by r8rh8rmike
      Fells Finds His Niche
      Thursday, October 1, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
      Senior Writer

At 6’4, 270 pounds, Daniel Fells is the type of player who instantly catches your attention when he steps off the bus.

When you see Fells run around the practice field with above average speed and you watch him catch everything in his vicinity as though he had a manicure at Elmer’s glue factory, you can’t help but think that when the football gods created a tight end, this is what he was supposed to look like.

“There is a lot to like,” Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “Danny is one of those quote-unquote athletic tight ends. The team we are getting ready to play has two of them. Guys that can run, guys that are big, and guys that factor in the pass game. I think Danny does all of that.”

Fells has done all of that for the better part of the past three years but it hasn’t been noticed by many because most of it has been limited to various practice fields throughout the NFL.

For whatever reason, Fells has been a standout in practices since he signed as a rookie free agent with Atlanta in 2006 but the success he’s had there has just never translated to Sundays.

Never, that is, until last week. After putting in plenty of long hours in meeting rooms and on practice fields, Fells finally got that feeling of accomplishment when he caught two touchdowns from quarterback Kyle Boller on consecutive drives against Green Bay.

After the game, Fells was inundated with about 45 text messages from friends old and new alike.

But even in his moment of triumph, Fells wasn’t much in the mood to celebrate. He went home and had dinner with his wife.

“I have been waiting for the opportunity and it’s real nice but it’s real tough to take because we lost the game,” Fells said. “We wanted to win. It’s tough for us as a team. It’s a personal thing but that’s not what it’s about.”

Coming out of the University of California-Davis, in 2006, Fells flew under the radar because he suffered a broken ankle that limited him to six games as a senior.

Fells went undrafted but signed with Atlanta. Rams general manager Billy Devaney worked in Atlanta at the time and was part of the group that discovered Fells.

Fells made the roster but never got a chance to play for the Falcons and spent the next year bouncing to Oakland’s practice squad before moving to Tampa Bay in Jan. 2008.

Finally, on Sept. 3 of last season, Devaney and the Rams made the move to bring Fells to St. Louis.

Fells got a late start in getting acclimated to the offense and played in 12 games, making seven catches for 81 yards.

“I kind of joined the team a little bit late so it was hard to catch up and jump in,” Fells said.

Still, Fells’ immense skills were clearly...
      -10-03-2009, 12:21 AM
    • tomahawk247
      Rams re-signed TE Daniel Fells
      by tomahawk247
      As per a Twitter post by Bernie Miklasz which says:
      Post-Dispatch Rams beatwriter Jim Thomas reports that TE Daniel Fells has re-signed with the Rams; more details from JT later.

Rotoworld report:
      Rams re-signed TE Daniel Fells
      The Rams plan to draft a tight end (per Arizona's Rob Gronkowski), but Fells currently tops the depth chart after hauling in 21 balls for 273 yards and three touchdowns last year. St. Louis won't have a fantasy-caliber TE in 2010.

I think we had to keep him as he is good depth at the TE position. No news on contract details yet. Could be another case, like they want to do with Atogwe, where the Rams let another team set the market value before ponying up the cash
      -03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
    • ramfan247
      Statistically Fells is a top 10 TE in the NFL
      by ramfan247
      Daniel Fells hasn't been flawless this year but he HAS been our most reliable receiver out there. He is clearly durable, he gets yards after the catch on almost every reception and it always takes at least two or three guys to bring him down. Hes not fast, but he's quick and has great hands. Statistically, this kid is a first down machine and has been open in the end zone time and time again, even though he only has two touchdowns. He hasn't been featured in this offense whatsoever, yet he has more catches than Heath Miller, Owen Daniels, Anthony Fasano, Greg Olson, etc. If we let this kid go in free agency this offseason, he'll go to an offense that will feature him and he'll have a 60 catch season and we'll be praying and counting our lucky stars that our TEs, Hoomanawanui, Onobun and Bajema, are healthy. All three have serious durability issues.
      -12-29-2010, 08:31 AM
    Working...
    X