• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbins update.

Robbins dines with Spagnuolo
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Free agent defensive tackle Fred Robbins arrived in St. Louis on Sunday, getting a look at Rams Park and dining with coach Steve Spagnuolo.

According to Robbins’ agent, Brian Mackler, two other teams have been involved with Robbins during free agency. But Robbins wanted to visit St. Louis first because of his past relationship with Spagnuolo, his defensive coordinator with the New York Giants during two of Robbins’ best seasons there.

“Freddie’s a 10-year veteran, a defensive captain, won a Super Bowl with (Spagnuolo),” Mackler said. “He has a lot of respect for Coach Spagnuolo; had a lot of success with Coach. Spags and Freddie have a great relationship. He just had to check out the environment and make sure it’s a fit.”

Mackler says the deal could be finalized Monday

Re: Robbins update.

Hope we sign him, the guy was a very stout run stopper under spags.

Comment

We need this dude

Comment

We really need this dude, he would instantly become our best DT. Makes me think Suh wont be our pick this year Robbins, Carriker, Ryan, Scott , not much point in bringing in Suh now, Bradford it is then

Comment

Originally posted by Bing69 View Post
          We really need this dude, he would instantly become our best DT. Makes me think Suh wont be our pick this year Robbins, Carriker, Ryan, Scott , not much point in bringing in Suh now, Bradford it is then

The fact Robbins would become our best DT is one of the very reasons we need to draft a Suh or McCoy
          @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
            The fact Robbins would become our best DT is one of the very reasons we need to draft a Suh or McCoy
            I think you nailed it. A 33 year old isn't a long term answer for any team, let alone a team like this. However, he is a stop gap solution if we're planning on addressing the position a little later on down the line.

Comment

Or maybe he will be Suh/McCoy teacher!?!

Comment

Originally posted by sashadpb View Post
                Or maybe he will be Suh/McCoy teacher!?!
                This statement always intrigues me. Mentoring makes sense, but when you pay a kid millions of dollars out of college, shouldn't he be motivated enough to learn on his own? Rhetorical I know, but it always makes me think when I see these notations...
                "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

its not that if he should be motivated, its having someone to use that motivations and be apply to mold him to the perfect DT and a vet can do that

Comment

Adam Schefter just tweeted it, making it official. Freddy is the newest addition in St. Louis. Should make for an upgrade at DT, but I have a feeling this means Mr. Sam Braford will be wearing Blue & Gold next year...

Comment

welcome back la'roi glover

Comment

Originally posted by tmbkb8 View Post
                        Freddy is the newest addition in St. Louis. Should make for an upgrade at DT, but I have a feeling this means Mr. Sam Braford will be wearing Blue & Gold next year...
                        How many star DTs do we have on our roster? None .. zip, zilch! Signing a veteran DT who can still play will improve the team. Carriker is a huge question mark at this point, and Ryan has been serviceable, but it isn't as if he scares opposing teams, the rest are pretty much street free agents. Billy and Spags are trying to improve a team that is impoverished talent wise on both sides of the ball in any way they can - I don't interpret this move as a sign that we'll be going QB with our 1st overall pick .. It's way too soon to figure that one out ..

Comment

Originally posted by ardavandavari View Post
                          its not that if he should be motivated, its having someone to use that motivations and be apply to mold him to the perfect DT and a vet can do that
                          Yeah I know, but it always raises an eyebrow for me...seems to me a coach should be able to that as well.
                          "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Great, good addition

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                              Robbins Relishes Role ..
                              by MauiRam
                              Monday, May 24, 2010
                              By Nick Wagoner
                              Senior Writer

While the youth movement at Russell Training Center has been in full force the better part of the past two seasons, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has maintained that adding veteran help would only come if it makes sense for the team on the field and in the locker room.

In a free agent market mostly devoid of strong veteran options, there was one player that couldn’t have made more sense for the Rams. Enter defensive tackle Fred Robbins.

“(He’s) experienced,” Spagnuolo said. “The guys that can show the younger guys how to be a pro and I’m not just talking about practicing, all the things that you do in between – that’s just as important as anything.”

Nearly from the moment he signed a three-year deal with the Rams on March 8, Robbins has understood and embraced the role he will undertake in his time in St. Louis.

At the top of that list is bringing the many lessons Robbins learned from Spagnuolo when Spagnuolo was his defensive coordinator in New York for two seasons.

There, Robbins played an integral part of a dominant defensive line that helped the Giants to a Super Bowl title. All told, he started 63 games in six seasons in New York after coming into the league as a second-round pick by Minnesota.

Robbins brings that experience along with his knowledge of Spagnuolo’s system to the Rams. And if anybody knows what is expected of him not only in the defense but off the field, it’s Robbins.

“I embrace that,” Robbins said. “I have no problem with that. That’s something he expects from me to just come in and bring overall knowledge and lead by example. That’s something I have done in past years so I have no problem with it and I am comfortable with it.”

Robbins’ overlying comfort level can’t help but be traced directly to his close personal relationship with Spagnuolo.

It was under Spagnuolo’s tutelage that Robbins played some of his best football as he put up a career high in sacks two seasons in a row and was stout against the run.

Even after Spagnuolo departed to become the head coach of the Rams before last season, Robbins says he kept tabs on how his former coach was doing.

“Anytime you get someone who goes from one of the coordinators to being a head coach you wish them the best, especially someone well respected (like Spagnuolo),” Robbins said. “You don’t want to see someone go through the hard times. It’s more than football sometimes.”

When Robbins hit the free agent market, it was clear he was at the top of the Rams’ wish list. And despite the team’s struggles in 2009, the feeling was mutual.

“Spags is a great guy, well respected and we had some good years the two years I played for him,” Robbins said. “That was pretty much the main thing. Things happen in this business; I thought...
                              -05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
                            • MauiRam
                              Robbins helping Rams defense ..
                              by MauiRam
                              BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010

On his website, Fred Robbins Official Website, is a feature called "Ask Fred," in which fans can e-mail questions to the veteran Rams defensive tackle.

Interesting, because Robbins holds another version of Ask Fred just about every day at Rams Park. The 33-year-old Robbins is surrounded by pups in the locker room. Six of his nine defensive linemates had two years or less of NFL experience entering this season. Three are rookies. And they have plenty of questions.

"It's like on pass rush, or run block situations, he'll give me his ins and outs — whatever he knows," rookie defensive end Eugene Sims said. "And I just take it and try to use it."

Or they may ask how to watch game film. What to look for on tape. How to stay healthy. How to eat right. And when Robbins talks ...

"It's short but sweet," Sims said. "He knows what he's talking about. He ain't been in it for 11 years for nothing. He knows what he's doing."

There's personality behind the presence.

"He's just a happy, energetic kind of guy," safety Craig Dahl said. "Always in a good mood. Always willing to pick up a teammate if he sees someone struggling. Fred's just a big jolly guy."

But Santa Claus is a big, jolly guy. And Santa can't play defensive tackle in the NFL. Robbins can. In fact, he's doing it better than anyone — perhaps even coach Steve Spagnuolo — expected back in March when the Rams signed him to a free-agent deal.

On a star-studded New York Giants defensive line that included luminaries such as Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiori, Robbins was the unheralded anchor in the middle during the team's Super Bowl championship run three seasons ago.

But then Robbins started to break down. He battled his way through 2008 with two broken hands and a shoulder injury, then had offseason knee surgery. Last season, he was replaced in the Giants' starting lineup over the final third of the season.

So far in St. Louis, Robbins has been revitalized. At the defensive tackle position, stats rarely tell the story. By the numbers, Robbins has nine tackles, one sack, three quarterback hits and two pass breakups this season. (OK, and that costly shove of Bruce Gradkowski in Game 2 at Oakland that resulted in an unnecessary roughness penalty.)

But take it from Dahl, who also was Robbins' teammate for two seasons with the Giants:

"You would never know Fred's as old as he is. He uses a lot of his experience to his advantage, too. He was able to read that screen last week. Sniff that out."

With the Seahawks desperately trying to get back in the game in the fourth quarter, Robbins dropped speedy Leon Washington in his tracks for no gain on a screen pass...
                              -10-07-2010, 11:40 AM
                            • shower beers
                              Rams closing in on deal with Fred Robbins
                              by shower beers
                              The Rams are reportedly finalizing a deal with free agent DT Fred Robbins.
                              Reuniting with coach Steve Spagnuolo? The Rams aim to get bigger upfront, and Robbins (6'4/325) would provide a presence at the 3-technique tackle. If healthy, Robbins would be a boon to the team's run defense.
                              Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

---------------

...and we're back to square one in regards to who our staff wants with the first pick. First a qb, now a d-lineman. I like this signing, personally.
                              -03-06-2010, 05:18 PM
                            • RAM-BO
                              So apparently we signed Fred Robbins!
                              by RAM-BO
                              I wasn't around here when it happened, and I didn't get a chance to hear what yall thought about it. This guy was a monster on the Giants, but he is getting up there in age. He will hopefully have a couple great seasons and not be another La'Roi Glover type player for us.
                              -04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
                            • eldfan
                              Spagnuolo vs. Talent
                              by eldfan
                              Turf Show Times
                              By Ram-rod Blog

I had some rattling in my brain and I thought it would be worth discussing. Steve Spagnuolo has his philosophy, which is great. He has his schemes and he's brought in people he thinks share his philosophy about coaching. I'm assuming that statement is correct, so I have a question.

How much has Steve Spagnuolo helped our defensive line? They are unarguably playing horrible. Whether you watch the games or see that stats on paper, you have to agree. Now, it's quite obvious the Rams don't have the talent that the Giants did in 2007 on the defensive line. But then again, they weren't exactly stars in their own right. Look at Justin Tuck. He played with the Giants for the previous two years, and in that time (through 20 games) notched 41 tackles and one sack. The year Spagnuolo came? 65 tackles and 10 sacks. The next year? 66 tackles and 12 sacks. He hasn't had the same production since Spagnuolo left. Look at Michael Strahan. He was definitely a star, but the previous three years before Spags' came to town (33 games) he notched 18.5 sacks and 153 tackles. Most of those numbers came from his great season in 2005. It would be safe to say that he was on the decline (the season before those three, he had just as many sacks. In one season.) It's safe to say Spagnuolo had influenced them, is it not? Is it safe to say Spagnuolo immediately influenced those players?

Now, I'm not one to compare (O.K., yes I am), but the Rams players just CAN'T be that bad. There are even similarities. The Rams have Leonard Little (Michael Strahan comparison, obviously.) Who is our Justin Tuck? Chris Long? Spagnuolo was here for this draft- he had a say in who got picked. Obviously, you can't expect all of the rookies to make an impact like Animal Jr. has made on defense. But Chris Long? Clifton Ryan? Wasn't Spagnuolo supposed to whip them into run stuffing, sack masters? Chris Long was obviously thought well enough to be picked with the second pick in the draft- if we didn't, some else would have. He obviously has/had the talent to play at an NFL level, or so people thought.

Spagnuolo seems to be a good coach and is entirely capable of taking this team in the right direction. But did everyone overestimate his prowess with the defensive line? Are the Rams defensive lineman simply that bad?
                              -12-02-2009, 09:26 AM
                            Working...
                            X