Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AP STORY: Rams rally to beat Seattle in OT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
    No photos found.

Related Topics

Collapse

  • Nick
    AP: Rams have several options with No. 2 overall pick in the draft
    by Nick
    Rams have several options with No. 2 overall pick in the draft
    Associated Press
    Posted about 4 hours ago

    ST. LOUIS -- Last April, Billy Devaney had more podium time on Day 2 of the draft for the St. Louis Rams. This year, he carries veto power.

    The change at the top sparks hope for a franchise that will again be in the spotlight on draft day, picking second for the second straight year. A total of five wins the last two seasons prompted a full-scale overhaul that leaves the Rams with a new coach, a roster minus two stars from its past glories and a front office that'll lean heaviest on those with football backgrounds.

    In charge will be a general manager with 24 years of hands-on experience. Devaney, a former protege of Bobby Beathard, was personnel director last year in his first season with St. Louis.

    Since taking over near the end of last year's 2-14 disaster, he's already made some hard choices.

    Longtime stars Orlando Pace and Torry Holt were released to clear cap space for young talent. Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe got the franchise player tag and cornerback Ron Bartell was re-signed after shopping the free agent market.

    The first of three minicamps was held earlier this month, giving Devaney and new coach Steve Spagnuolo a better feel for their needs.

    "That was one of the reasons Billy and I decided to have a camp before the draft," Spagnuolo said. "I think that will be huge."

    Next weekend comes the biggest day yet.

    "There's more to do, a lot more," Devaney said in a telephone interview during a break in draft preparations. "But this is awesome, it's the time you love."

    The Rams follow the Detroit Lions to the podium on Saturday, so the choices are endless.

    Most pre-draft speculation has centered on the offensive line, a weakness in recent years and weakened further by the recent release of seven-time Pro Bowler Orlando Pace. Tackles Jason Smith of Baylor and Eugene Monroe of Virginia could fill the void.

    Then again, this is a franchise that needs help almost everywhere. The exception: defensive line, where they invested last year's No. 2 on Chris Long and their 2007 first-rounder on Adam Carriker.

    Devaney will only say the Rams will take the best player on their board. If they decide a skill player is the best bet, he vowed cost will not scare them.

    "No matter who you pick, it's going to be ridiculously expensive," Devaney said. "I don't know how every other place operates, but I know that's how it works here.

    "In free agency, in hiring a coach, in the draft, it's doing what's best for the organization."

    Thus far, trading down doesn't seem to be an option. Not with a draft pegged as one with several interchangeable options at or near...
    -04-17-2009, 11:39 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Ex-Nevada RB gets probation for assault, attempted robbery
    by DJRamFan
    Jan. 26, 2005
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    RENO, Nev. -- A former running back for the Nevada football team was sentenced to five years' probation Tuesday in connection with an incident that occurred in September 2003.

    Advertisement


    Joseph Bwire, 20, who also played at Reno's McQueen High School, pleaded guilty in Washoe County District Court in October to assault with a deadly weapon and attempted burglary.

    He allegedly fired a single shot from a handgun as he tried to flee after a residential burglary.

    The assault charge carries a penalty of up to six years in state prison and up to $5,000 fine. The attempted burglary charge could lead to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

    Both the district attorney's office and the Division of Parole and Probation both urged prison time for Bwire.

    Washoe District Judge Steven R. Kosatch sentenced him to 1-4 years on each count, then suspended the prison term and placed him on probation.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Charges dropped, reduced against Vols from party brawl
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 1, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports




    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Prosecutors dropped a felony aggravated assault charge against one Tennessee football player and reduced the charge against another Monday in a case stemming from a fight at a campus party last March.

    Advertisement


    Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers and linebacker Jerod Mayo, who both redshirted last season as freshmen, were charged with hitting a fellow student when several fights broke out between football players and members of Omega Psi Phi fraternity.

    The charge against Mayo was dismissed after a witness would not cooperate with prosecutors.

    The charge against Ayers was reduced to misdemeanor assault. He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge and now has nearly 12 months to pay court costs and make restitution to the victim. After that, the charge will be erased from his record. The amount of restitution has not yet been determined, but it will not be more than $3,000.

    Aggravated assault is a felony, and sentences could vary from 3 to 15 years in prison.

    In a statement Monday, Phillip Fulmer said that Ayers will have to sit out the first two games of the season, complete community service and anger management counseling and abide by a curfew during the fall semester.

    Ayers also was suspended from summer school and placed on indefinite probation by the university, Fulmer said.

    Mayo was not suspended from the team.

    "I was glad to see Jerod Mayo cleared of any issues," Fulmer said.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-02-2005, 02:35 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Michigan St. receivers arrested for allegedly planting bombs
    by DJRamFan
    Nov. 10, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Two Michigan State football players were arrested and charged with possessing a dangerous chemical compound after they allegedly planted homemade bombs that blew up outside campus apartments.

    Advertisement





    Terry Love and Irving Campbell, both 19-year-old redshirt freshmen receivers, were arrested Tuesday morning as they left the scene of the first explosion, campus police said. A second bomb exploded shortly afterward, and a third was detonated by the campus police bomb squad.

    The men said they planted the bombs in Spartan Village as a prank, campus police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

    No one was hurt and there was no property damage, McGlothian-Taylor said. The players were released on $500 bond after being arraigned Tuesday.

    If convicted of the misdemeanor, both could face up to 90 days in jail and a $100 fine, McGlothian-Taylor said.

    Coach John L. Smith will let the legal process play out and then decide if any disciplinary action is needed, assistant athletic director John Lewandowski said.

    Love has 19 catches for 208 yards and a touchdown this season. Campbell has not caught a pass.

    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -11-11-2004, 11:10 AM
  • DJRamFan
    Barnett to go before grand jury probing Colorado scandal
    by DJRamFan
    July 30, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

    DENVER -- Colorado football coach Gary Barnett was called Friday to appear before a grand jury investigating his program's recruiting practices.

    Advertisement


    Barnett did not immediately go before the panel. He wouldn't comment to reporters.

    He was suspended in February for comments he made about two women who accused football players of rape, then was reinstated in May after an investigative panel concluded he shouldn't be fired.

    The grand jury investigation is the first indication criminal charges could be filed in a scandal that led to sweeping changes in the football recruiting program and a scathing review of university leadership.

    At the governor's request, Attorney General Ken Salazar's office has been investigating. Salazar already decided against filing assault charges on allegations involving nine women dating to 1997, citing concerns about the evidence and the reluctance of the women to go forward with the cases.

    The grand jury has heard from players, director of football operations David Hansburg, campus police and others since May. Legal experts have said they think investigators are trying to figure out whether university funds were misused, among other things.

    Salazar's office has declined to comment.


    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    -08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Working...
X