Whither the Rams' Linebackers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whither the Rams' Linebackers?

Does anyone have any insight into what the Rams are planning to do about their linebacker situation? They barely have enough linebackers on the current roster to field a starting lineup, not to mention that except for JL they are not starter material, or even very good backups. Are they planning on looking at any FAs later on? Or draft a couple of OLBs in the 3-5 round range? It doesn't seem like there will be any value at the top of round 2, because I believe Weatherspoon and Graham will be long gone, and Sergio Kindle seems more of a 3-4 guy...I dunno, does anybody have any thoughts into what the gameplan might be? (besides wait till next year?)

Re: Whither the Rams' Linebackers?

the best weakside prospect in the draft in Daryl Washighton is likely to be available at least in the 2nd round if not the 3rd..then theres quite a few that should be available in the 3-5 round range...a lot of the highly hyped OLB`s are in some part (but not all) that highly touted because they best fit OLB in a 3-4 D...therefore some of the best OLB`s that fit our 4-3 are likely to be passed on and may fall further down the draft than their talent deserves...their loss could very well be our gain.

with the seemingly lack of interest in veteran OLB`s..(tho they have reportedly been in talks with Diggs for some time now) i think they want J-Lau to be the leader of our D ,as should be the case with him being MLB... and dont want to surround him with vets that may not respond well to being ordered around by someone so young...J-Lau is mature beyond his years but nevertheless some vets may not respond too well to being called out etc..by him.

that may not be the case...but sometimes its good to think outside the box..

Comment

I don't think we'll be using any picks higher than maybe the fourth round on linebackers. We can barely fill the roster at lots of positions: DT, DE, TE, QB, OL...

Comment

Originally posted by doubleaa View Post
        Does anyone have any insight into what the Rams are planning to do about their linebacker situation? They barely have enough linebackers on the current roster to field a starting lineup, not to mention that except for JL they are not starter material, or even very good backups. Are they planning on looking at any FAs later on? Or draft a couple of OLBs in the 3-5 round range? It doesn't seem like there will be any value at the top of round 2, because I believe Weatherspoon and Graham will be long gone, and Sergio Kindle seems more of a 3-4 guy...I dunno, does anybody have any thoughts into what the gameplan might be? (besides wait till next year?)
        I think Vobora has earned a chance to start on the strongside. After that, the WLB position is pretty fair game. I think we'll pursue Na'il Diggs hard after the draft if we don't select anybody. Personally, I can understand if we choose to wait on a WLB until next year and I'd be okay (although not thrilled) with a combination of Diggs, Lauriniatis and Vobora as our starting unit. You have a veteran, the most promising defensive player we've had in years, and a solid young player beginning to realise his potential. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Comment

With 10 picks i think its safe to assume we'll be throwing a linebacker in there somewhere.

Comment

I'd like to see AJ Edds taken somewhere in the 3rd or 4th, he'd fit nicely I think. Hopefully we will take a flyer on a guy in the later portion of the draft as well we really are lacking in depth and the Diggs pick-up seems like a desperation move a`la Paris Lennon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
              With 10 picks i think its safe to assume we'll be throwing a linebacker in there somewhere.
              I agree.
              Id like to see Diggs at strong, JL at mid, and maybe a slimmer Vabora who in college had better then average coverage skills (for what its worth) and ran a 4.5 in the 40, this would be his 2nd year and I liked what I saw last year considering he was the last person drafted, I hope he continues to improve.

Im pulling for him, but he would have to beat out all comers for the spot.

Comment

I think we need more help on the strong side, so I'm looking at Sean Lee, AJ Edds, Perry Riley, Rennie Curran, Kavell Conner and a few other guys. Lee will probably cost us the 3.01, but the others should be around between 4-6.
                Last edited by ; -04-10-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BarronWade
                  How important is the WLB position?
                  by BarronWade
                  We dont have a starter WLB yet no one really cares about it. A good WLB would help us when we blitz. That would make Spags job alot easier comming up with blitzing schemes.

Im seeing alot of people make mocks with drafting Edds in the 4th or 5th round and just making him starter.

Theres a reason he is a mid rounder and not a highly scouted player.

Today Chris Gocong went to the Browns along with Sheldon Brown. Why didn't we deal for Gocong? He is better than Edds.

Also do you think we should try to do a better job a WLB than a mid round rookie?
                  -04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
                • ZiaRam
                  What kind of OLB do we need?
                  by ZiaRam
                  So I hear all the time that we need a OLB but I have always wondered if it is a Sam or a Will backer? I assume we are needing a weakside LB if I had to guess being since our Strong side's are Vobora and Diggs which aren't probowl but are at least servicable especially if our front 4 is beasting it.
                  Sam (Strong Side LB)
                  5.88%
                  Will (Weak Side LB)
                  94.12%
                  We are good at LB, need to focus on other areas
                  0.00%
                  -07-23-2011, 06:17 PM
                • Goldenfleece
                  Thoughts on Draft Strategy
                  by Goldenfleece
                  1. On Drafting Need Versus Value:

(a) In general, I advocate using the draft to load up on talent regardless of position, while relying on free agency and/or trades to address immediate needs. However, there are lots of nuances to consider.

(b) Often, certain tiers seem to emerge within a given draft. If you have the option of drafting any of several players of comparable skill, it makes sense to factor in need as a tie-breaker. This is particularly relevant to the Suh vs. Bradford debate.

(c) Drafting for need makes more sense in the mid-rounds once you have arrived at the point that the players available may or may not be able to beat out the worst players on the current roster. At this point, you have to factor in a combination of talent and availability of competitive slots on the roster.

2. On Quarterbacks:

(a) No single player is as important to the success of the defense as the quarterback is to the success of the offense. Nor is any other offensive player as important to the success of the offense.

(b) If you're drafting a starting quarterback, there is little point in drafting a guy you have graded as a second or third round value. A developmental quarterback is typically third string and may not make it on the field all year. You draft a quarterback in rounds 2-3 if the need is a few years down the road and if the gamble doesn't pay out, you will still have time to identify other options before your current starter is gone.

(c) By the same token, it's not worth spending a first round pick on a quarterback unless you think he can start for the next decade. For example, you could argue that there was no quarterback in 2007 worth drafting as a starter--Jamarcus Russell? Brady Quinn? John Beck? Tyler Thigpen? Trent Edwards? It doesn't matter if he's the best quarterback in the class if he's not going to being able to offer what the team needs.

3. On Defensive Tackles:

(a) I buy into the whole "Planet Theory" to some degree. For those not familiar, the theory is that men who weigh in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. and are athletically gifted are inherently rare and therefore at a premium in value.

(b) Even with all of the teams running a 3-4 these days, there don't seem to be enough quality 4-3 DTs to go around. Last year, there were only 3 DTs who had 6 sacks, which should emphasize just how impressive it is when a Kevin Williams or Warren Sapp can come in and put up double digit sacks from the inside. If Suh really is of similar calibre, it's hard to say when we might have an opportunity to acquire such a player.

(c) Despite the rarity of the DT, one has to put the value in perspective. The Jaguars had two great DTs when Henderson and Stroud were on the roster, but their overall pass rush was still lacking in the years leading up to Stroud's departure. Similarly, Minnesota's pass...
                  -04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
                • AvengerRam_old
                  Prelimary Draft Blueprint
                  by AvengerRam_old
                  Presuming no major FA signings...

Round 1: OT
                  The Rams need a top OT to anchor the line for the next several years. Barron's future is going to be either as an OG or as a player on another team. Michael Crabtree, if available, would be tempting, but with no O line, he won't be able to do much to help the Rams.

Round 2: LB or C (BPA)
                  The Rams need a center, and will have to fill this need with a quality player, but LB is also a top need (particularly if the Rams start thinking of a 3-4). I'd go with BPA between those two positions.

Round 3: LB/C or QB (BPA)
                  Whichever position is not selected in Round 2 should be considered if quality is there. Another consideration will be QB, as the Rams need to start developing a future starter, and this draft should have a lot of mid-grade prospects.

Round 4: QB/C/LB or SS
                  Whichever need has no been filled should be the priority, unless there is a compelling value at SS.

Round 5: SS or RB (BPA)
                  SS is the priority, but if there is a potential change-of-pace/spot starter RB on the board, this would also be a consideration.

Round 6/7: RB, NT, OL
                  Looking for depth at this point.
                  -11-04-2008, 08:11 AM
                • Nick
                  Nick's Mid-Week Draft Ramblings (4/10)
                  by Nick
                  -Keenan Allen's pro day was yesterday, and the timed numbers were not particularly good. Still, some remain undiscouraged by the 4.71 times, claiming that Allen shows better speed on tape while also citing the fact that he still wasn't at 100%. If you're an individual who thinks Allen compares favorably to Anquan Boldin, then the time - almost exactly what Boldin ran at the Combine when he came out - likely doesn't scare you that much. But it's worth noting that Boldin didn't hear his name called in the Top 50 picks, either.

-As the draft nears, it's becoming more clear by the day that the cream of the receiver crop appears to be Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, followed by a group of prospects who haven't been able to separate themselves very much. With Austin and Patterson off the board, I could see any of the following players being the third wide receiver selected: Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, Quinton Patton, or Robert Woods. All of them fall into that "late first round, early second round" group of guys that, because their grades begin to get closer than the prospects in the top half of the first round, become more interchangeable.

-Much (well, a little bit at least) has been made of the Rams not having any safeties in for a visit so far. Is that particularly abnormal? I don't know, as I don't have the visit lists from past years in front of me to compare to the actual list of prospects a team drafted, but I wouldn't get too worried about it just yet. This is a deep safety class with a lot of different options for a Rams team that has at least one if not two holes at the position. There are 8-10 safety prospects that I would be happy to see the Rams draft in the first three rounds, and it's entirely possible the Rams have already zeroed in on the handful they would consider. Talk to me on Saturday night of draft weekend if the Rams haven't addressed the position, and then you might see me start to worry.

-When it's all said and done, I think five offensive tackles (Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson, Fluker, and Watson) and two offensive guards (Warmack & Cooper) go in the first round. For a team like the Rams who have some long-term needs at both positions (at least in my opinion), this would be a great opportunity to draft one of these players and help shore up Bradford's protection and this team's ability to move bodies in the running game. But I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me that is afraid Jeff Fisher will pass on a talented offensive lineman because he feels this team can coach up lesser players.

-Some are mocking Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree to the Rams in the first round, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Off the field issues aside (because when it comes to Fisher, they typically are put to the side and aren't considered a dealbreaking factor), do the Rams really need to spend a first round pick at the linebacker position?...
                  -04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
                Working...
                X