How bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad?

Reading about some of the offseason moves made by teams around the league, I've been stuck wondering a bit about our ownership situation. Does anyone else think that we might have been more aggressive if we had a completed sale? I mean, Sims for a 5th rounder? Sheffler for a 5th and 7th? Its not like we don't have a gaping hole at TE or couldn't use a LB.

Re: How bad?

There are plenty of teams that have no ownership issue and made very few, if any, significant moves this offseason. How many moves did the Seahawks make, for example? How about the Cardinals?

Comment

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post
      There are plenty of teams that have no ownership issue and made very few, if any, significant moves this offseason. How many moves did the Seahawks make, for example? How about the Cardinals?
      True enough, but not all of those teams have the talent deficit we have. When you consider how thin we are at receiver, TE, and LB and then look at all the talent that's moved at those positions, I think it should raise questions. Its hard to believe that its part of the plan not to add SB MVPs and first round talent players for fifth round picks, even with their various blemishes.

Just my $.02.

Comment

Who should the Rams have gotten? I could see the TE from the Bronco's (a 5th is pretty small for a guy you think can start) but maybe the Rams see him as a problem player or of limited upside since he did so little in Denver.

They were discussing franchises on the radio and how they were built. Most great franchises build from within. You build via the draft and then AFTER being built, you fill in gaps with free agents. You just can't build a team via trades and free agency. It doesn't work and you put yourself behind the eight ball salary cap wise.

Look at the 9ers and Cowboys of the 90's. Of the last decade look at Philly, Baltimore, Indy, Pittsburgh and the Packers. They drafted the core of their team and filled in gaps with free agents. They didn't rebuild with 30 year old players.

And in the fact you are ignoring this offseason had extremely limited free agent possibilities.

Comment

Perhaps in another year it would be different, but it seems to me that this year should be the one to hold onto draft picks. This is one of the deepest drafts we've seen in a while, and having 10 picks will certainly help out the talent deficiency we seem to have. Even though 6 of the picks are in rounds 5-7, it doesn't hurt to have more chances at hitting the late-rounder jackpot.

Comment

Ernie Sims, Santonio Holmes, and Tony Sheffer would all look pretty good in a Rams uniform, wouldn't they? All of them went for lower round draft picks, all of them are relatively young, and 2/3 aren't complete boneheads. I'm sorry, but I don't see how even in a deep year it makes more sense to hold onto a fifth round draft pick over one of these guys (assuming Sims is healthy).

I'm generally not a big fan of splashy free agent signings and trades, but there were a lot of values this year at positions the Rams need help on and they didn't move. I don't see how this could be attributed to much else other than the ownership situation.

Comment

Holmes was a fluke. Peter King reported it was just a fluke that Pittsburgh was looking to trade him and called the Jets, they made an offer and the Steelers jumped on it. Not sure how the Rams were supposed to handle that differently.

Sims is out in Detroit because he didn't fit their defensive scheme. How do you know he would fit the Rams scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by RebelYell View Post
                Holmes was a fluke. Peter King reported it was just a fluke that Pittsburgh was looking to trade him and called the Jets, they made an offer and the Steelers jumped on it. Not sure how the Rams were supposed to handle that differently.

Sims is out in Detroit because he didn't fit their defensive scheme. How do you know he would fit the Rams scheme?
                You're completely right, we should not upgrade our talent at all even if it means just a fifth round pick. /sarcasm

Ever notice how some teams seem to get the "flukes" or benefit from other teams saying someone doesn't "fit" and we don't? I support the Rams, but given some of the action in the offseason -- in positions where we need players -- it honestly doesn't look like their trying. I'm just guessing that the reason lies behind an uncertain ownership situation (which Jim Thomas and Bernie have alluded to multiple times) rather than assuming its because our front office doesn't have a clue.

Comment

Working...
                X