Clear All

• Martz enjoying Rams latest win

By Jeff Gordon
    STLtoday.com Sports
    Monday, Oct. 11 2004

Rams coach Mike Martz is feeling pretty good these days. During his Monday
    afternoon news conference, he had the pleasure of breaking down his team’s
    dramatic 33-27 overtime at Seattle.

“It was such a thrill to be on the sideline and watch them, their attitude, how
    they responded to everything, how positive they stayed throughout the game,
    even the first half,” Martz said.

Here were some highlights of the session:

On the big comeback: “Obviously this is a terrific win for this team. It’s
    obviously understated. We ARE getting better. They did not get disillusioned.
    We have a lot of young players that are learning how to compete. We had some
    players show up in this game and make plays to help us win this game, guys like
    (Shaun McDonald) and Kevin Curtis and of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) and the
    running back, Steve Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and did a tremendous job.

“We are making progress and getting better. I know the first half didn’t come
    out the way any of us wanted, but they went in at halftime and it was what we
    need to do, it’s a step-by-step process and here is the way we need to go about
    it. They weren’t discouraged and they were able to get the job done.”

On the play of quarterback Marc Bulger: “To have three interceptions and come
    back and compete and to play at the level that he did and make those kinds of
    plays under pressure, it’s clearly a statement of what an incredible player he
    is.

“He does have ice in his veins. He doesn’t ever get unnerved. I’ve never seen
    him get unnerved in any situation.”

On the play of the offensive line: “I was very, very pleased with the play of
    the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up
    a sack in the first half on a rush on that side. He came back in the second
    half and was outstanding on the left side. He was a major reason why Marc was
    able to move around and make some of the throws that he did.

“It all starts in one particular area, that’s the front, the offensive line. If
    (Bulger) can hold the ball and make the throw, he’s going to make it and we’ll
    catch it. If we can hold up like the last play of the game, when they came
    after us with everybody, and he hangs in there . . . it’s just a terrific
    effort by the offensive line, and by Steven Jackson, stones the blitzer over
    here. Marc hangs in there and he knows because they are picked up . . . instead
    of taking the shorter throw, he is able to take the deeper throw and it ends up
    with the touchdown.”

On the play of the special teams: “The punt return (by McDonald) was huge. I
    thought we covered our kickoffs very well. Just a solid effort on the kickoff
    returns. Sean Landeta, his best effort so far in terms of punting the ball.
    Great hang time and distance. There is only one return. Erik Flowers had four
    tackles on special teams. Just an incredible job. Special mention for Trev
    Faulk again.”

On reestablishing the run to start the second half: “We don’t get any points
    out of it, but that drive where we came down the field and ran the ball, ran
    the ball on third down several times and got first downs, at that point, I just
    felt like if we could get the ball back, if our defense could get them back
    out, we could mix it in there pretty good and have some success. Our plays came
    off the field with a different look about them. They were excited and
    energized.”

On the play of his defense: “None of this is possible without the terrific
    effort by the defense in the second half. We throw an interception over there
    on the sideline and give them great field position, we hold them to a field
    goal, that wins the game for us. That clearly wins the game for us. That
    three-and-out, the third-and-one at the end of the game, we stacked him up and
    they don’t get it . . . the intensity really picked up in the second half.”

On the play of linebacker Tommy Polley: “Ten tackles and a pass broken up. Just
    a great comeback by Tommy, who was out with a fractured rib. He’s done a great
    job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team.”

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
    Martz on the Mike
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Tuesday, October 12, 2004

(Opening statement)
    “Obviously this is a terrific win for this football team and organization. It means a lot in many respects. We are getting better, they did not get disillusioned. There were a lot of young players that learned how to compete, and stay in it. We had some players show up in this game that made plays to help us win this game. Guys like (Shaun) McDonald, Kevin Curtis, of course Brandon (Manumaleuna) with his touchdown catch, and Steven Jackson. DeJuan Groce came in and just did an outstanding job. We’re making progress, and we’re getting better. I know the first half didn’t turn come out the way any of us wanted, but they didn’t give up. When we went in at halftime, it was what we needed to do, it’s a step-by-step process, and here’s how we need to go about it, and they weren’t discouraged, and of course they were able to get the job done. I was very happy and pleased with the effort and how hard they played in the second half. When we had to make a play, somebody made a play. I was very pleased with the effort of the offensive line, particularly Grant Williams in the second half. He gave up a sack in the first half, and a rush on that side, but he came back in the second half and was outstanding on the right side. He was a major reason that Marc (Bulger) was able to move around and make some of the throws that he did. It was a great effort overall as a football team. I though special teams was very solid, the punt return was huge, and I though we covered their kickoffs very well. It was just a solid effort on the kickoff returns. It was Sean Landeta’s best effort so far, in my opinion, in terms of punting the ball. He had great hang time and distance, and there was only one return. Second half, we just need to continue from there, and continue to build. Offensive player of the game, although he had three interceptions, is Marc Bulger. To have three interceptions and to come back and compete and to play at the level that he did, and make those kinds of plays under pressure, is clearly a statement about not just what type of person he is, but the incredible player that he is. Special teams wise, Eric Flowers, four tackles on special teams, just an incredible job. Just a special mention for Trev Faulk again, he had three (tackles). Our defensive player of the game, Tommy Polley, with 10 tackles and a pass broken up. Just a great comeback by Tommy, he was out with a fractured rib, and did a great job coming back and making his presence felt on this football team. All in all obviously it was a terrific win for us, but as all games at this point, we have to have a short memory and get ready for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here on Monday night.”

(On Seattle’s defense on third down)
    “They changed quite a bit on third downs. They changed every third down. One was pressure, one was two, one was four, one was man, they changed everything. It all...
    -10-13-2004, 06:26 AM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Tuesday, October 5, 2004

(Opening statements)
    “There are some things that I would like to mention that are really outstanding from that game: Tyoka (Jackson) came in and had three hits on the quarterback, two pressures, two tackles, and two assists, really on third downs, which is terrific. Pisa (Tinoisamoa) had nine tackles and five assists, 14 tackles all totaled, and half a sack. Jerametrius (Butler) had the interception and he broke up two passes. Leonard Little had four tackles and three assists, for a total of seven. He had three hits on the quarterback, he had a pressure, he had one sack, and, of course, he recovered a fumble, so he had a terrific game. Rich Coady is our defensive player of the week with four tackles and six assists, that’s 10 tackles, two passes broken up, a forced fumble, and a quarterback hit, just a terrific evening for Rich. On offense, Marshall (Faulk) and Isaac (Bruce) are our offensive players of the week. Marshall, obviously, with the big night: 23 carries, 121 yards, a total of 146 yards, and Isaac, for the fourth week in a row, starts the season with another 100-yard game. (Isaac) was not just catching the ball, but he was vital in the running game, in terms of blocking down the field, which he always is. He is a complete player, very unselfish player. I thought Marc (Bulger) played really well. The offensive line played very well. They came out fast and furious in all three phases, and that’s what we asked them to do, attack, be physical, not worry about mistakes, play fast. I thought we played disciplined football. We did not turn the ball over. We got two turnovers. We had a very limited amount of penalties, which is something that we have been trying to stress. We are getting better, we really are. That first half was played at a high level, and that’s what we are asking them to do. We’ve got a lot of room to go yet. We can get a lot better, and we need to go in that direction. We came out of that game, physically, in good shape. But I’m very pleased with the effort of this football team. I’m ready to put this one to bed, because we have a big one up in Seattle.”

(On the Rams’ defense)
    “(The *****) really tried to get something going, and the same running schemes that have hurt us in the past, we shored that up a little, the stretch and cutback type of plays. Penetration by the defensive line, by and large, the entire defensive line was a exceptional. They played really well. And Ryan Pickett, who plays nose guard, just won’t get credit for anything. You’re not in the position to rush the passer, so you’re not going to get sacks. All you do is get beat on the whole time. You’re not going to make a lot of tackles, but what you do, it’s the most unselfish position in football. All you do is take the hits and try to throw them off, so the linebackers and everyone else make the play. But he was penetrating, getting back into the backfield, and...
    -10-06-2004, 01:00 AM
  • RamWraith
    Martz Speaks! Rams in Week 2
    by RamWraith
    By Jeff Gordon
    Online Sports Columnist
    Monday, Sep. 19 2005

Upon Further Review, Rams coach Mike Martz was quite pleased with the play of
    his defense and special teams Sunday in Arizona.

“Special teams play improved remarkably,” Martz said during his Monday news
    conference. “Our kickoff coverage, the average starting field position was the
    20-yard line, which is outstanding. In the kicking game, the battle really is
    for field position. Anything else from the turnover standpoint is a bonus. I
    think from field position standpoint, our (special) teams were excellent,
    particularly coverage teams.”

Defensively, Martz cited safety Adam Achuleta, defensive end Leonard Little,
    linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, cornerback DeJuan Groce and defensive tackles Jimmy
    Kennedy and Ryan Pickett for extra praise.

“I thought we played really good team defense,” Martz said. “We rallied to (the
    ball), we got them out on an awful lot of third-down situations, which was a
    difficult thing for us last year and years past. Third and long we weren’t very
    good. We rallied here. Larry (Marmie) has done a real good job putting this
    defense together. A real nice timed call down in the red zone on that blitz to
    get the sack and win the game.

Here was Martz’s take on some other issues:

On his overall thoughts about the victory: “We’re starting to come
    together a little bit. We’re not where we need to be, obviously. We were very
    pleased with the effort. Down there in the heat, our guys performed very well.
    We had a number of players go down with the stomach flu. It was a tough
    afternoon, a hard-fought win.”

On positive changes in his kick coverage teams: “We got some
    veterans more involved. It’s difficult . . . you project some of these rookies
    based on the preseason and their play, then the regular season started and the
    speed of this game changes so dramatically. They were a little shocked by it.
    We’ve had to make a move quickly and we did that in a couple of areas that
    helped us.”

On potential for adjustments in the kick return teams: “There are a
    couple of things we’re going to do here in the next week from the personnel
    standpoint that we think might give us a little boost, particularly in the punt
    return. Kickoff return, we’ll just have to see. We want to make sure when we
    look at the tape that we’re getting guys blocked. It doesn’t really make sense
    to change those kinds of thing unless the returner is the fault.”

On going back to Arlen Harris for some returns: “I think that (Chris
    Johnson) was involved defensively quite a bit. That was probably the main
    reason. The biggest thing about Arlen is with...
    -09-20-2005, 06:16 AM
  • RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    by RamDez
    Head Coach Mike Martz
    Friday, September 3, 2004

(Opening comments)
    “We came out of the game, physically, in good shape. We have a slight knee strain with Erik Jensen and a very minor ankle sprain with Cam Cleeland. So other than that we came out of the game clean. There were a lot of good things in this game. We were able to evaluate personnel for a long period of time, particularly on defense. On offense there was some pleasant surprises. I’m very pleased with being able to evaluate and where this team is. Some of these guys, hopefully, now can contribute during the season.”

(On RB Lamar Gordon)
    “That is the first time he has been hit, or put pads on, in four weeks. To go in and take the ball like he did, and he took some horrendous hits out there on the edge, then jumped, turned, twisted, and stayed in the game. I was very impressed with his toughness. The burst that he had, the acceleration he showed right before the touchdown run, to get it down to the one-or-two yard line. I was very pleased with Lamar. I told him (we were going to play him a lot). I know the conditioning aspect, because he has not been hit in four weeks, and that’s a big deal now. But the more we played him, the better he played. He got dinged there a little bit and came out briefly, but went back in, which is important. I was very impressed with him.”

(On if WR Torry Holt’s back spasms are of concern)
    “No I don’t think so. We didn’t plan on playing he or Isaac (Bruce) more than a few plays anyway. And the other guys need to play. (WR Shaun) McDonald has to play a whole game. Mike Furrey needs to play. The only issue at wide receiver is, that he still has shin splints, is (WR Kevin Curtis). We did try to play him as little as possible, but he did need to play a little bit and he was able to make a couple of big plays in that game. We will try to keep him quiet for a while on those legs, and see if we can’t get that thing to calm down a little bit. Anybody who has had shin splints knows how painful they are. The only way to get rid of them is to rest them. So we will try to manage them as best we can.”

(On how he feels about the team at this point)
    “I feel good about where we are. The areas that we wanted to get better, running the football, we made a big emphasis of that in the last few games, as you could see. Regardless of who was in the game, we wanted to run the football. I think it sets a mentality for the offensive line and the backs. I was very pleased with the way we have run the ball the past few weeks. It didn’t make a difference who was in there. I’m very excited about the play of the quarterbacks. I’m very excited about the play of the linebackers and how the defensive line is starting to come together. We’ve got some issues in the secondary because of injuries. We need DeJuan Groce back, obviously. He’ll be back this week. Losing (CB Travis)...
    -09-05-2004, 06:00 AM
  • RamWraith
    Post Game Quotes
    by RamWraith
    Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injury to Derek Stanley)
    “Just to give you an injury update on Derek Stanley, he has a knee injury and he will have a MRI tomorrow. I think it is a significant injury, but we hope it is not, but he will have a MRI tomorrow.”

(On the game)
    “If nothing else this team is going to learn quickly in the future that when you have a chance to put a team away early in the game, that these turnovers are going to come back and get you sooner or later. Derek’s (Stanley) turnover led to seven points, then (TE) Joe Klopfenstein took seven off the board when it should have been 24-0 at halftime. When you let a team like that hang around and they come out and get the ball in the second half and they get a couple of field goals, then they are back into the game. You have a chance to really take care of it in the first half and you don’t do it, if nothing else hopefully this team will learn that that is the most important thing in the game.”

(On the Klopfenstein fumble and defenders being near him)
    “To me putting the ball to the ground doesn’t make a difference, you are responsible for that ball. He was wide open, he caught it, and he had enough time to cover it up and get to the ground.”

(On G Richie Incognito’s penalties)
    “I saw the pre-snap penalty but I didn’t see the holding penalty.”

(On WR Torry Holt’s offensive pass interference call by the referee)
    “I am not going to touch that. That is a young guy over there, a rookie referee. I am not sure what he saw, but obviously he thought it was pass interference and we have to live with it. If that is what he called it then that is what he called it.”

(On RB Kenneth Darby being in for the last possessions and Steven Jackson)
    “Because RB Steven Jackson was light headed and the doctor said he was down and he (the doctor) didn’t want him to go in, then he came in on the third down. That is why he was in there.

I am not really sure what happened with Steven, but when the trainer comes up and says that he is out until he is ready then he is out.”

(On passing the ball three times during the final possessions)
    “We had no timeouts, and we were trying to get a first down. We were trying to get a field goal and try to win the game.”

(On WR Derek Stanley attempting something different and risky)
    “I don’t know if it is risky, we ran about six or seven reverses today. I don’t think that was risky. He is a punt returner/kickoff returner, to me that is risky. Running a reverse is just carrying a football.”

(On the play of RB Steven Jackson)
    “I thought that Steven had a great first half, he didn’t get much going in the second half as far as the running game. He had 81-yards rushing in the first half and ended the game with 91 yards. It was a good first half. Obviously we didn’t get enough going...
    -12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Working...
X