Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams trade for Bears S Kevin Payne

from the Post-Dispatch:

The draft might be over, but the St. Louis Rams arenít done adding players to their roster. On Wednesday, they traded an undisclosed pick in the 2011 draft to the Chicago Bears for safety Kevin Payne.

The 6-foot, 212-pound Payne spent all three of his NFL seasons in Chicago. He started 22 of 32 games with the Bears, including all 16 in 2008.

The acquisition of Payne, 26, could be a hedge by the Rams because safety Oshiomogho Atogwe has yet to sign his one-year tender offer as a restricted free agent. If Atogwe doesnít sign his tender by June 1, the Rams must pay him 110 percent of his 2009 salary ó which would be $6,976,000. If the Rams decline to do so, Atogwe would become a free agent.

Re: Rams trade for Bears S Kevin Payne

Originally posted by Bruce=GOAT View Post
    from the Post-Dispatch:

The draft might be over, but the St. Louis Rams arenít done adding players to their roster. On Wednesday, they traded an undisclosed pick in the 2011 draft to the Chicago Bears for safety Kevin Payne.

The 6-foot, 212-pound Payne spent all three of his NFL seasons in Chicago. He started 22 of 32 games with the Bears, including all 16 in 2008.

The acquisition of Payne, 26, could be a hedge by the Rams because safety Oshiomogho Atogwe has yet to sign his one-year tender offer as a restricted free agent. If Atogwe doesnít sign his tender by June 1, the Rams must pay him 110 percent of his 2009 salary ó which would be $6,976,000. If the Rams decline to do so, Atogwe would become a free agent.
    There's no way the RAMS are going to pay Atogwe that kind of money. Bye Bye O. J..
    sigpic :ram::helmet:

Comment

one thing it doesn`t mention in that article is that Payne is a SS...i find it hard to believe they would trade for a 3rd SS..behind Butler & Dahl...so to me either they gonna move Butler over to FS,the most obvious choice out of who would be left if Atogwe departs..or Dahl has had a re-occurance of the almost career ending injuries he had prior to becoming a Ram,that hasn`t been disclosed yet.

they may still be trying to re-sign Atogwe and continue to do so until the deadline passes and maybe still once he becomes a FA....but they need to have a plan in place,should they not get a deal done..if Atogwe stays they would then have Butler as starting SS but back up for O.J so that should he go down with an injury he would start at FS and Dahl or Payne start at SS.

if Atogwe leaves,whilst i could see Butler taking his spot initially...i wouldn`t rule out the long term starter being already on the roster in the form of Bradley Fletcher( maybe since the nasty injury,he would be better suited to play FS instead of CB,as he wouldn`t be asked to do all the twisting and turning a CB does on almost every play..) or Marquis Johnson...both possibly physical enough to play FS...and thats why they drafted Murphy when more pressing needs seemed more evident at the time. remember they also signed Dockery a true Nickle back...
      the more likely reason they drafted Murphy was to compete for a starting spot with Fletcher,depth etc..at the CB position..or the fact he was just highest on their board at the time of the pick..i`m just "thinking outside the box" really and hope that if the coaches & Billy D really want to keep Atogwe long term,then they manage to do it..but i think there are some options if they don`t....especially with Payne onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by laram0 View Post
        There's no way the RAMS are going to pay Atogwe that kind of money. Bye Bye O. J..
        Yeah, no way they pay that. Shame. I like the guy. I'm sure they do too ... just not THAT much.
        If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Comment

You can't justify paying a guy who can't pass a physical and has a sports hernia AND recovering from shoulder surgery, 7 mill. I don't see how he can look himself in the mirror and say he deserves that amount at one of the least valued positions to boot. If fully healthy id pay it, even though reluctantly. Without being able to pass a physical I couldn't do it.

Atogwe is great, but not irreplaceable.

Comment

I think what Atogwe is looking at is going into this season he led the NFL in total turnovers since 2006. He was one of the best ballhawks in the league and the Rams refused to get a deal done with him, now he has been injured and they wont pay him the money he earned. I feel bad for the guy.

Comment

It makes you wonder how much it is A.J.'s doing and how much it is his agent. You'd think that between both of them they'll be smart enough to make the right / fair decision.

Welcome Kevin Payne. :helmet:

Comment

This could be a bargaining chip by the Rams to lower OJ's asking price. Regardless, I don't see any harm in the move. Brings in a younger, solid option if we can't bring OJ back into town.

Comment

We didnt really have a proper back up at SS behind Butler. Dahl is more of an FS than an SS. But this is likely just a depth move.
                  @EssexRam_

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk247 View Post
                    We didnt really have a proper back up at SS behind Butler. Dahl is more of an FS than an SS. But this is likely just a depth move.
                    No Dahl is more of a SS.

He is very good against the run, and is a sure tackler.

But his coverage skills are not very good.

Comment

Trading a conditional seventh round pick for a depth player probably doesn't have much to do with O.J. ESPN101's Brian Stull agrees via Twitter...

I'm told the Rams trading for Kevin Payne does not impact Atogwe and his RFA tender.Would expect OJ to sign for 110% (7 mil) on June 1st.
                      about 15 hours ago via web
                      Best case scenario, Payne pushes Butler for the starter's job. Worst case scenario, he gets cut and we don't have to give the Bears a pick, as I believe the "conditional" part is that he makes the roster.

Comment

Are you saying that we traded a seventh round pick for this guy Nick? If that's the case it would make no sense but to keep him. I'm sure he's a better option for depth than anyone else we have on the roster at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by mikhal5569 View Post
                          Are you saying that we traded a seventh round pick for this guy Nick? If that's the case it would make no sense but to keep him. I'm sure he's a better option for depth than anyone else we have on the roster at the moment.
                          My understanding is that the Rams traded a conditional 2011 seventh round pick, and the conditional part is based on whether or not he makes the roster. If he makes the roster, then yes, we give the Bears a 2011 seventh round pick. If he doesn't make the roster, then we owe them no pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                            My understanding is that the Rams traded a conditional 2011 seventh round pick, and the conditional part is based on whether or not he makes the roster. If he makes the roster, then yes, we give the Bears a 2011 seventh round pick. If he doesn't make the roster, then we owe them no pick.
                            I was trying to make a point about the lack of depth at safety and not so much asking a literal question *sigh. But, thanks anyways.

Comment

Two things:

1. Payne has played both free and strong safety.
                              2. OJ is (was?) dating Mike Singletary's daughter.

Comment

Working...
                              X