• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradford makes good first impression

Associated Press

Bradford makes good first impression

By R.B. FALLSTROM , 04.30.10, 04:12 PM EDT
    ST. LOUIS -- Sam Bradford was so nervous about his first NFL practice, he woke up before an alarm clock set for 6 a.m.
    Add in a bubbly enthusiasm evident by his high five with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur during the opening practice of a three-day rookie minicamp Friday, and the St. Louis Rams have to feel pretty good about investing the first pick of the draft on the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from Oklahoma.

Bradford's summary: "It was a blast out there today."
    After the first of two practices Friday, coach Steve Spagnuolo complimented Bradford's poise and take-charge attitude. The Rams issued abbreviated playbooks to their draft picks last weekend, and Spagnuolo said Bradford appeared to have absorbed everything.
    Bradford refused to campaign for the starting job and Spagnuolo was noncommittal about the Rams' plans for easing him into the lineup, judging that question way too premature.
    "You're way ahead of me," Spagnuolo said. "We don't have to play a game yet. Nothing preconceived."

That's fine with Bradford.
    "I think it's way too early to start making those type of statements," Bradford said. "I've only gone through one practice and I've only seen a very small portion of the playbook. All I know is I'm going to show up and help this team win."
    It was much easier to take charge with this group, too. The Rams invited 67 players to the minicamp, including 11 draft picks, but most players will be headed home after the tryout.
    "I wanted to see his command of the huddle, his interaction with teammates," Spagnuolo said. "He's not around a bunch of veterans, so that's another test. He kind of stepped to the forefront, you could tell he was the guy that's done this before."
    Bradford made a one-of-the-guys impression on the other draft picks when he texted them all to say he was glad to be teammates. Then he impressed them on the field.
    "All in all it's like we've got a connection," said wide receiver Mardy Gilyard, a fourth-round pick from Cincinnati. "We're developing a nice little relationship."
    Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, the Rams' second-round pick out of Indiana, is Bradford's roommate for the weekend. Bradford even scores high on that account.
    "Oh, he's very clean," Saffold said. "The first day is usually the day where, you know, 'Maybe I shouldn't have had this guy,' but he's real cool, real chill."
    Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Dick Curl gave Bradford some telephone tutoring earlier this week, helping to ease the tension before his first professional workout. First workout since a season-ending shoulder injury last October, too.
    "I was definitely a little nervous," Bradford said. "It's been a long time and I really wasn't sure how it was going to go as far as the schedule and the practice.
    "Once I got out there, I felt really comfortable. I really enjoyed it, it was just fun being out there with the guys."
    The Rams, 1-15 last year and 6-42 the last three seasons, are pinning their long-term hopes on Bradford, who's wearing jersey No. 8.
    Two of the other rookies are wearing jersey numbers that used to belong to a pair of seven-time Pro Bowlers. Saffold has No. 76 (Orlando Pace) and Gilyard has No. 81 (Torry Holt).
    "Why set the bar low?" Gilyard said. "Have me reach out for something I need to get. It keeps you hungry, keeps you wanting to be better, and be better and be better and be better and be more better and be more better, and eventually be the best."

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

While I believe the numbers 76 and 81 should be retired, my favorite part was finding out that Mardy Gilyard is wearing 81 and Rodger Saffold is wearing 76. Those are VERY big shoes to fill!

Also ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have found the leader of our football team.

Re: Bradford makes good first impression

That is what I like to hear.

Although I would also like those 2 numbers to be retired, I guess it symbolizes a new Rams era, with Bradford at the helm, and a new Orlando and new Torry in the building.

Comment

I don't really like the whole "retire the number" thing. I understand that it shows respect for the great players of the game, but honestly anyone who has their jersey retired is probably going in the teams ring of honor and maybe the hall of fame. It just seems like a bit of overkill to me.

On another note I like that Sam is taking control a little bit early. I really want to hear what some of our veterans think about him as the pick. Anyone got a quote from SJ, Bartell, or maybe Avery?

Edit: spelling

Comment

I'm so damn excited for this season, just to see these guys and to watch them grow as football players. I agree with O1d 0rd3r, I like that Gilyard will be wearing 81 and Saffold will be wearing 76...They are certainly giving themselves high standards which is awesome.
        Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

81... Good riddance to the teen squad?

Comment

Rams' Sam Bradford at rookies camp

Anyone care for a little video on the first practice.

Mods this is not spam, it is a link to a video on stltoday. PLEASE BLEAVE MEH!

Comment

Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post

Good stuff.

I like to hear that Bradford is taking control, and showing his leadership.

Comment

Good to know of SB's positive first days of actual work with the Rams. So much to go, so much work ahead it isn't even funny. ...All the best to this young QB and the Rams new season.

Comment

im so pumped for this season. Bradford is such a level headed guy and a great leader. any idea how his contract situation is going?

Comment

wow.. good to hear so far... It will be interesting to see off season... looks like I'm getting direct Tv this year

Comment

Originally posted by jackson3909 View Post
                      im so pumped for this season. Bradford is such a level headed guy and a great leader. any idea how his contract situation is going?
                      Agreed. I really like Bradford's attitude. He's definitely leadership material. His contract situation has me a bit nervous though (I'm just a worrier by nature). Hopefully, he's set on getting signed and getting to camp on time. Any delay puts him way behind on getting that first start.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                        Agreed. I really like Bradford's attitude. He's definitely leadership material. His contract situation has me a bit nervous though (I'm just a worrier by nature). Hopefully, he's set on getting signed and getting to camp on time. Any delay puts him way behind on getting that first start.
                        I think the only way that he won't make training camp on time is if his agent tries to get him more money.

Seeing Bradford, he just doesn't seem like the type of guy that would hold out for more money. I see him as a guy that just wants to play football, and help the team win.

I'm not too worried about the contract negotiations, since there's no reason to right now. I hope that remains the case.

Comment

These 2 better not make the number 91 and 76 look bad.

Comment

Question is how long will the front office take to get the deal with Bradford done. Last thing we need is our rookies missing time in camp.
                            Aim high Willis, Aim High!

Comment

Originally posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post

Good stuff. It's nice seeing those guys in the horns.

However, do we normally have 67 guys at the rookie mini? I thought there was usually the draft picks, and then another dozen or so guys.......like maybe 20, 25, maybe 30 total?
                              The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                                Bradford acclimates to NFL offense ..
                                by MauiRam
                                By Bill Coats
                                ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                                06/05/2010

Spread out on the right side, wide receiver Brooks Foster sprinted upfield, then cut sharply inside, splitting two defenders. When Foster turned back, the ball was nearly on top of him.

The grooming of the No. 1 overall pick in April's NFL draft is proceeding slowly but surely during organized team activities. After three weeks of work with the veterans as well as his fellow rookies, Bradford recognizes substantial gains.

"It's been great. I've learned a lot, come a long way since Day One," Bradford said. "I feel a lot more comfortable in the huddle, on the field. I've put a lot of time in, and I think I've been able to grasp more, I've been able to work more than I would in a spring session back at Oklahoma.

"It's definitely better."

Better, but not good enough to earn him much time with the first team yet. Bradford is working almost exclusively with the second and third units as coach Steve Spagnuolo and his staff take a step-by-step approach with their prize recruit.

"He's putting the ball in the right places and seems to be catching on with the offense," Spagnuolo observed. "So, the progress is good."

Ultimately, Bradford will be the Rams' starting quarterback. But if Spagnuolo follows form, that promotion won't come until deep into the preseason. At the earliest.

And that's OK with Bradford. He's more concerned with nailing down the offensive intricacies and sharpening his timing with the receivers. "There are some balls that have sailed," Spagnuolo said. "It's different now. The game's a little bit faster, and it's going to get faster."

Veteran A.J. Feeley, the No. 1 quarterback for now, and Keith Null, heading into his second season with the Rams, are lending a hand.

"I still have a long way to go; I know that," Bradford said. "But I think being around the vets, especially A.J. and Keith, guys who have been in this offense, (helps). I see a play out here that I might think looked fine, the way it needs to be run. And then we get in the film room and they have some input: 'No, this needs to be quicker, this guy's route should be deeper.'

"It's really helpful to see and hear those types of things."

It also helps, Bradford pointed out, that he's able to devote all his time and effort to the cause.

"This is our job now; we're up here all day," he said. "In college, you have to go to class, and there are only a certain amount of hours (the coaches) can work with you in a week."

All the better to soak up offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur's West Coast-style scheme, which, Bradford noted, is similar to what he ran at OU.

"Obviously, we were in the shotgun...
                                -06-04-2010, 11:09 PM
                              • r8rh8rmike
                                Bradford Confident Heading Into Second Start
                                by r8rh8rmike
                                Bradford confident heading into second start

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
                                1 hour, 29 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS (AP)—What impressed St. Louis Rams players most about Sam Bradford’s NFL debut was how totally in charge the No. 1 overall pick looked.

“You want your quarterback to have command of the game and he has that,” wide receiver Mark Clayton said Wednesday. “Very even keel, you can’t get to him.

“As soon as he gets hit in the face he’ll get right back up and that’s what you want.”

Not too banged up, either. Monday for Bradford felt much like a Sunday at Oklahoma.

“Besides a couple of bruises here and there, I felt really great,” Bradford said. “Today I came out and felt really good. I really wasn’t any more sore than I would have been after a college game.”

After the first week, the first rookie quarterback to start for the Rams since Bill Munson in 1964 is living up to the billing. Fellow rookie Rodger Saffold, a second-round pick and the starter at left tackle, said Bradford has always projected control.

“He always seems calm, that’s just the type of guy he is,” Saffold said. “‘Are you an actor? No. Would you tell me if you were an actor? No.’ It makes things easier knowing he’s not flustered.”

All Bradford lacks is a victory for a franchise hungry for success.

“When we get down to the red zone or the fringe area, we’ve got to find a way to get touchdowns and not field goals,” Bradford said. “But I thought we moved the ball fairly well and I think we feel fairly confident going into this Sunday.”

Bradford appears to have lost no confidence from the opening 17-13 loss to Arizona in which the Rams largely relied on his arm. He was 32 for 55—tied for third in attempts in franchise history—for 253 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo is hopeful Bradford, set for his first NFL road start, won’t have to throw quite so many passes Sunday at Oakland.

“From Game 1 to Game 2, I’m talking about the whole team, you’re looking to see where the jump’s going to be. I hope the jump is not 75 passes instead of 55, but just in the quality of play.

“We’re looking for the whole team to do that.”

Spagnuolo said players had done a good job of moving on from the opener, along with the multitude of setbacks from the past. The Rams recovered four fumbles against the Cardinals and didn’t score a single point, falling to 1-16 the last two seasons and 6-43 the last three years.

“Nobody’s discouraged. We’re all disappointed and I hope still upset,” Spagnuolo said. “There has to be a little bit of anger there, but there’s anger in me. This league is all about the reward and the reward is winning.”

Bradford knows he made some bad throws, in particular Adrian Wilson’s interception...
                                -09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
                              • RockinRam
                                Rams’ Bradford prepares for first big test
                                by RockinRam
                                Posted Aug. 13, 2010 @ 10:14 a.m. ET
                                By Eric Edholm

ST. LOUIS — The rookie quarterback who has enough money to buy a chunk of his new team isn’t above running a lap when the offense makes a mistake.

Meet Sam Bradford — $50 million man and football junkie.

The top pick in April’s draft has been charged with turning around the state of a 1-15 Rams franchise that last season bottomed out after setting the league on fire at times during the glory days of 1999 to the middle of the next decade. Playing at a first-rate program like Oklahoma prepared him for a lot, but the biggest hurdle of his football life lies ahead of him.

Right now, Bradford knows his place. He’s the second-string quarterback behind A.J. Feeley, just trying his best to find a place on this team in transition without attracting too much extra attention to himself. If you ask Bradford, he’d try to tell you he’s just one of 80 players in camp trying to carve out a role.

“We ask everyone on the team that,” Bradford said of his penalty lap. “If you mess up, to take a lap. I messed up, took a lap, and that’s part of it.

“It keeps everyone accountable for their actions. It makes sure everyone is on the same page.”

Everyone watching Bradford thus far is on this page: He really can throw the football.

After his breakout performance of camp, a scrimmage at nearby Lindenwood University last week in which Bradford barely let a ball hit the ground, the stakes have risen even more. There hasn’t been this much anticipation for a preseason opening game in St. Louis in a long time. Bradford will make his debut Saturday against the Vikings. Although Feeley will start, head coach Steve Spagnuolo said Bradford would get time with the first team.

“Everybody should have an opinion (on when Bradford should start),” Spagnuolo said. “We’ll do what we think is right and we’ll do it based on what’s (happening) on the field.”

It’s only a matter of time before Bradford takes over the starting role for good. Usually the concern with a rookie quarterback is that coaches don’t want to crush a kid’s confidence by throwing him to the wolves before he’s ready. But with Bradford, he looks mature beyond his years and in control of the action, even when things don’t go perfectly.

“He’s definitely more than capable, mentally and physically, of handling it,” C Jason Brown said. “The work ethic, discipline, toughness, responsibility, ability … the kid has it all.”

Spagnuolo said that Bradford has more than met his expectations in most areas of his game, and in some cases exceeded them.

“He sees the field really well,” Spagnuolo said. Things are starting to … the game is slowing down. (But) this is practice now. I should say, the practice is slowing down for him. We’ve...
                                -08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
                              • RockinRam
                                Bradford, other rookies set to open three-day minicamp with Rams
                                by RockinRam
                                Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- After the draft, the newest St. Louis Rams were issued abbreviated playbooks. The franchise is about to get its first chance to assess the kids' retention skills.
                                Quarterback Sam Bradford takes the field for the first time since becoming the No. 1 overall pick along with other rookies and hopefuls at a three-day minicamp starting Friday. Bradford was in St. Louis for a news conference the day after the draft and left with homework after meeting with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Dick Curl.

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold and cornerback Jerome Murphy, the Rams' second- and third-round picks, also left with starter playbook kits after being introduced in St. Louis, and the team overnighted material to the rest of their 11 selections.
                                The team also scheduled telephone meetings earlier this week with the draftees to help get everyone up to speed.
                                "Not a lot of information, but just something to get them started," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "Just a little bit."
                                St. Louis, 1-15 last year, will hold two workouts Friday and Saturday with a single practice on Sunday.
                                The first look could provide early insight on how quickly Bradford can make the conversion from the college game. The Rams have been noncommittal on their plans for easing the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma into the lineup and could open the season with veteran backup A.J. Feeley as the starter.
                                So far, Bradford hasn't pushed for a timetable and has expressed his eagerness to learn. Spagnuolo told Bradford that he'll have gone through 24 practices before training camp begins in late July.
                                "That's almost double a full spring at Oklahoma, so I think I can learn a lot," Bradford said. "I look forward to it. I look forward to getting around some of the veterans, picking their brains and just getting to work."
                                Saffold was a tackle at Indiana, allowing one sack his senior season. The Rams like his versatility.
                                "I know the big thing is just trying to go ahead and just do whatever they tell me to do," Saffold said. "I know it's a really tough process trying to figure out where everybody needs to go to put the team in the best position."
                                Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
                                -04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
                              • Nick
                                For Bradford, it's time to play
                                by Nick
                                For Bradford, it's time to play
                                BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:00 am

The numbers are legit. Quarterback Sam Bradford really can earn as much as $86 million over the next six years.

So these aren't just the St. Louis Rams anymore. It's Sam's Club. A fitting name for a franchise that looks as if it's about to be owned by a member of the extended Wal-Mart family (Stan Kroenke).

But now, Bradford starts to earn that money. On Saturday afternoon, about an hour after signing his contract, he began in earnest the task of living up to that mega-deal.

Pressure? What pressure?

"You just have to go play football," Bradford said after his first NFL training camp practice. "If you start worrying about all those other things, then it can really affect your performance. And I always put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed as it is.

"So I don't think that's going to change. I have very high expectations for myself and this team this year. I think that's really what's going to drive me to work to succeed."

On the first full-squad practice of camp, A.J. Feeley opened as the No. 1 quarterback, as expected. But there are millions of reasons why Bradford will be the Rams' starting quarterback. Such as the $50 million in guaranteed money in his contract. And the $78 million basic value of the contract. And even the $86 million maximum value of the deal if certain incentives are met.

The task at hand is getting Bradford ready to play ASAP. He missed three practices total on Thursday and Friday while his deal was getting hammered out. What did he miss?

"Well, a bunch of reps," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "Probably getting his arm loosened up. And basically what he's doing over there right now, which is just timing with the wideouts."

As Spagnuolo spoke, Bradford was getting in extra work throwing to a couple of receivers after practice.

"But the one thing about how the league is structured right now is we get those OTAs and minicamps," Spagnuolo said. "So he's had most of what we did today. He'll get caught up."

To a large degree, it's up to offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, quarterbacks coach Dick Curl and, of course, Bradford to get the No. 1 overall draft pick ready for the regular season.

"He did such a good job in the spring, I'd like to see him be able to build on that," Shurmur said. "His challenge is to be ready to play Day One, and if that works out, great. If it takes a little bit longer, so be it."

During the nearly six-week break between the end of the Rams' spring practice period and Saturday's start of camp, Bradford took some homework back to Oklahoma in the form of practice tapes, the playbook and notes he took during the spring practices....
                                -08-01-2010, 08:02 AM
                              Working...
                              X